Jody Allen needs to have a come to Jesus with Pete

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Field a defense that is at least middle of the road next year or this is your last season with the team. I've seen enough. Complete waste of time playing these games when you have a historically bad defense every year.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Field a defense that is at least middle of the road next year or this is your last season with the team. I've seen enough. Complete waste of time playing these games when you have a historically bad defense every year.
Pete should get a big raise after this year, you need to follow a different team with your vast knowledge of coaching..

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I do think it's worth mentioning, Pete's defenses haven't been good since 2017. At this point we've been trying to retool the thing for 5 years now. There are stretches that we've played well, but also a few stretches where we we were on track to give up the most points and yards in NFL history. This craptastic defense and lack of tackling is a trend. Even Wagner's tackling got worse here in those years mentioned.

The defense has been a problem on this team for a LOOONG time now.

mrblitz

Reaction score
we need more fresh depth at DT it starts in the trenches. a quality depth group of DTs could contribute to shutting down the run, and relentlessly pressure the pocket in the passing game. it starts right there; defensive tackle. you need good play from them every down.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The Pete hate is strong as always. Year after year he's a better than average coach, bringing us playoff berths, but not good enough for some fans.

Sometimes for a brief second I wish y'all would get your wish and see just how disastrous a coaching change can be to a team with a winning formula, then I realize, thank god our ownership is smarter than that.

Polk738

Reaction score
Pete doesn't exactly have loads of talent to work with, not counting this year who have they drafted that has been a standout on this defense? The best player today was a 35 year old DE drafted back in 2012, too many wasted draft picks on bums for the defense.

knownone

Reaction score
There were several plays where the defense got precisely what they wanted and couldn't make the tackle. It's hard to fault the coaching staff for all of that. Guys needed to make plays at some point, and they couldn't.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
You cant win with bad defense. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out. You will never go anywhere, and the proof is in the last 4 seasons. Try and keep up.

You cant win with bad defense. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out. You will never go anywhere, and the proof is in the last 4 seasons. Try and keep up.

Pete's never had a good defense??

Seems like when we had great players back there, the defense was one of the best in the history of the NFL

Its almost as if players matter....

You can't scheme away the fact that Cody Barton is one of your better defensive players.

Yikes

Read that again

rjdriver

Reaction score
The loss of two fist rounders for a safety who never plays and struggles in coverage when he does is the problem with this defense. I'm not going to google, but if we had whoever was the best edge and best LB available at those two spots and the extra $ we spent on Jamal to sign a solid defensive FA, we would be capable of making a deep run.

renofox

Reaction score
The loss of two fist rounders for a safety who never plays and struggles in coverage when he does is the problem with this defense. I'm not going to google, but if we had whoever was the best edge and best LB available at those two spots and the extra $ we spent on Jamal to sign a solid defensive FA, we would be capable of making a deep run.
Agreed. But you're still saying that PC is responsible for fielding bottom-of-the-league Defenses for 5 years now.

Unacceptable performance from a "defensive" coach.

hawker84

Reaction score
The Pete hate is strong as always. Year after year he's a better than average coach, bringing us playoff berths, but not good enough for some fans.

Sometimes for a brief second I wish y'all would get your wish and see just how disastrous a coaching change can be to a team with a winning formula, then I realize, thank god our ownership is smarter than that.
Yep nothing like a good one and done a$$ beating in the playoffs to put a stamp on a fine season. I mean that's what it's all about right, making the playoffs? I thought it was winning it all. Silly me.

Scout

Reaction score
I don't disagree with that take.

This off season will be critical in improving the trenches.

OP
OP
Chukarhawk

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Pete's never had a good defense??

Seems like when we had great players back there, the defense was one of the best in the history of the NFL

Its almost as if players matter....

You can't scheme away the fact that Cody Barton is one of your better defensive players.

Yikes

Read that again
dude, look at the defenses over the LAST 4 YEARS. Statically bottom of the barrel year after year. From a coach that is supposed to be a defensive coach. Winning starts with a solid defense. Without it you will go nowhere. It's about as basic a rule as you can get in football. As great as we were offensively, we were a complete disaster on Defense. It not an anomaly, it's the norm now. No team has played more defensive snaps than the seahawks 2 years in a row.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The terribleness of our defense last year is so overstated as to border on the ridiculous. Our defense last year has it's picture in the dictionary under the entry 'adequate'. (It's an 'A' word so you don't even have to turn many pages to find it.)

We scapegoated them for an offense that truly was historically bad in terms of sustaining drives because for a certain contingent here put the blame on our defense to avoid blaming He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named because that was blasphemous at the time.

This defense is uniquely bad, not in the same way bad. We need to trash this Fangio-style scheme altogether. I care not at all whether we stick with 3-4 or go back to 4-3 but I don't like the heavy reliance on two gap tech at all.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
dude, look at the defenses over the LAST 4 YEARS. Statically bottom of the barrel year after year. From a coach that is supposed to be a defensive coach. Winning starts with a solid defense. Without it you will go nowhere. It's about as basic a rule as you can get in football. As great as we were offensively, we were a complete disaster on Defense. It not an anomaly, it's the norm now. No team has played more defensive snaps than the seahawks 2 years in a row.

Read my post again.

I think your missing some key parts to what I said:)

Fade

Reaction score
Pete doesn't exactly have loads of talent to work with, not counting this year who have they drafted that has been a standout on this defense? The best player today was a 35 year old DE drafted back in 2012, too many wasted draft picks on bums for the defense.
Pete is the architect of the defense. Those are Pete's picks, these are the guys he wanted.

Either way it's his fault. These are his players, his coaches, and his scheme being laced over the top of Fangio's. It's an abomination.

Polk738

Reaction score
Pete is the architect of the defense. Those are Pete's picks, these are the guys he wanted.

Either way it's his fault. These are his players, his coaches, and his scheme being laced over the top of Fangio's. It's an abomination.

you got that right, nobody ran that garbage scheme right this year, Staley scrapped it halfway through the season and the Chargers are better for it.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Jody: Pete, I'm glad the team made the playoffs, but that was embarrassing loss in the wildcard. It wasn't competitive. I'm going to give you one more year to fix that defense. Get the players you need, fire the DC if needed, but if it doesn't improve drastically next year, the organization will have to make some difficult decisions.

Pete: You got it, Jody! John and I will get right on it!