Johnson Off the Table

xray

Reaction score
Are the Hawks gonna have to settle for sloppy seconds in the coaching dept. now ? Do we have to beg ? ;)

rjdriver

Reaction score
Ya know..

Damn.

You have to pretty damn pompous to turn down a head coaching job in the National Football League. (If that's what happened because of $ demands).

What an honor to join an elite club that has included men like:
Lambeau
Stram
Landry
Shula
Madden
Belichick
and on and on...

To tacitly say you deserve all the spoils without any of the effort or you will just wait for a better match..

Maybe, it's a generational thing, but I would think it would be an honor to even be considered to lead a group of the finest professional athletes in the world.

Plus, there are no guarantees. A bird in the hand. Plenty of teams that suffer the kind of loss Detroit just did could easily take a step back the following year. Spend the capital you have now, not what you might have in a future and league with so may variables.

(repost because I accidently posted in wrong thread)

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Johnson has a pretty good gig in Detroit. One step away from a bowl this year. Not sure about their cap or roster sitch, but assuming much of the team is returning they have as good a chance of any other team in the league to get back and better than most NFC clubs. We don't know his $ demands or what he expected in the way of team control, etc to really judge his decision. There is such a thing as team loyalty as well.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks waiting for Johnson is odd in hindsight. I would think his agent must've made it very clear his price tag. So, if you don't want to pay that, why continue to to wait it out for him and do a 2nd interview?

Something isn't adding up there.

This is huge for the Lions, as he is what drives that offense, maximizing their weapons. He is a special playcaller and the Lions would be nuts to let him walk out the door. Similar to Kyle leaving ATL.

There are still a lot of good hires available. All upgrades over what Pete is at this juncture which seems to be missed by too many.

This is a very strong coaching class so to speak. The Seahawks are going to get a good one, regardless.

And if not, well... Sometimes you have to hire your Mora to get to your Carroll.

The page needed to be turned, the franchise has been stuck in neutral since about 2016. It feels like they are 4 years behind where they should be, having dragged it out with Pete for far too long.

What gets interesting is they could hire an obscure OC, instead of the hotshot coordinator and people will jump to conclusions immediately, damning the hire.

Let me remind folks, Brandon Staley was the hotshot coordinator with the Rams a few ago that everyone wanted. And Matt Lafleur was a nobody OC with the Titans.

It's looking like Kafka right now. Maybe Quinn +Chip.

evergreen

Reaction score
Do you get Seaside Joe? He does Seahawks content. I do the free stuff. He breaks down the successful coaches and where they came from bla bla. But the best ones are offensive and call plays. That would’ve been Ben Johnson. There’s a few who do defensive calls. Buffalo coach and Macdonald. He’s sold on Kafka. He gives plenty of examples of guys on bad teams or years turning it on when given the chance. So yeah NY sucked. He’s our guy. He made Daniel Jones into a $40 million QB.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Do you get Seaside Joe? He does Seahawks content. I do the free stuff. He breaks down the successful coaches and where they came from bla bla. But the best ones are offensive and call plays. That would’ve been Ben Johnson. There’s a few who do defensive calls. Buffalo coach and Macdonald. He’s sold on Kafka. He gives plenty of examples of guys on bad teams or years turning it on when given the chance. So yeah NY sucked. He’s our guy. He made Daniel Jones into a $40 million QB.

We already have our own prediction wizard on the forum who predicted Kafka! Kidding aside seaside Joe is underrated!

James in PA

Reaction score
Is it true that the Commanders GM and company were literally on a flight to interview Johnson when he informed them that he's not interested? Is so, that gives me some serious Josh McDaniels vibes. We may have dodged a bullet with this guy.

Fade

Reaction score
Is it true that the Commanders GM and company were literally on a flight to interview Johnson when he informed them that he's not interested? Is so, that gives me some serious Josh McDaniels vibes. We may have dodged a bullet with this guy.
You might be right.

Also, Just because you don't get the top target, or the hot name, doesn't mean you will lose out on getting the right guy.

Pete Carroll was USC's 3rd choice to be their HC. It worked out well for them.

I do find it funny that the media said Ben Johnson was a lock to WAS. So he calls them up mid-flight telling them not to bother, hahaha.

Fade

Reaction score
Giants fans are entering their ninth season of saying such things.
Better to try, than to not try at all.

Coughlin was done anyway, and keeping him was not a better solution.

Just like keeping stagnant Pete is not.a better solution here.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
So, Johnson rather make a few millions less just to stay in Detroit.
I think it’s a situation where he’s waiting for the right job to open up more than anything.

Honestly, with Seattle it’s not a great situation. Salary cap hell, a team with a potential ownership change at any time. The ownership flux is the big thing that would scare me off.

Washington was the other suitor, they’re a potentially good situation, but the owner is a complete unknown.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think people here are worrying way too much about the ownership situation.
Are we? Its stated that the franchise has to be sold off at some point. If you’re a prospective coach and you see that, it means you have that much less job security.

A common thing for new owners to do is to nuke everything and put their own spin on things.