Johnson Off the Table

knownone

Reaction score
It is possible. You don't have a second round pick, you have an older QB, your cap situation is terrible and you have one of the worst defenses in the league. I think there are enough positives though that someone could come in and do well but its going to be an uphill battle next year because of the defense/cap space and draft resources imo.
I'm not even talking about the on-field/cap situation. That's not a huge problem if a coach is given job security.

I'm referring to the long-term ownership situation, inheriting a GM with total control and a mandate to maintain its prior coach's culture. If you were a young coach with the clout to call your shots, like Ben Johnson, what's appealing about our situation? High expectations, tough division, less control. Johnson probably looked at that and asked for a Sean-Payton-style deal because, in his situation, that's the only reason to risk your long-term future to get into a possibly messy situation.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm not even talking about the on-field/cap situation. That's not a huge problem if a coach is given job security.

I'm referring to the long-term ownership situation, inheriting a GM with total control and a mandate to maintain its prior coach's culture. If you were a young coach with the clout to call your shots, like Ben Johnson, what's appealing about our situation? High expectations, tough division, less control. Johnson probably looked at that and asked for a Sean-Payton-style deal because, in his situation, that's the only reason to risk your long-term future to get into a possibly messy situation.
Great points worth considering.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm referring to the long-term ownership situation, inheriting a GM with total control and a mandate to maintain its prior coach's culture.
The directive was "positive culture" - that doesn't necessarily mean Pete's culture.

Also it was reported that BJ wanted too much $$.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score

all GM's have that power otherwise why have one?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
The directive was "positive culture" - that doesn't necessarily mean Pete's culture.

Too much money for BJ? Some people are pretentious.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ownership is not going to change in the foreseeable future, Jody already confronted that topic, Prisco and Florio still post that crap for clicks.

knownone

Reaction score

The directive was to maintain the culture that was already in place. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean Pete's culture, despite him having been here for 14 years. In any case, that wasn't my point. My point was that the message is still more about Seattle than the coach, i.e., we want you to fit into what we've built rather than we want you to establish your own identity here. There's nothing wrong with Seattle's approach, but it's worth considering what impact it has on a valuable candidate with significant leverage.

And yes, sometimes you ask for more in a negotiation if the other party has a serious interest, but the situation is not ideal.

CactusJack

Reaction score
This whole process is way more stressful than it needs to be...

keasley45

Reaction score
He wanted to be paid a kings ransom. Seattle declined that, either made a counter offer or didn't, and he decided to go back to Detroit.

Good for John for not paying a guy 'hero' money when he's never been a HC in the league.