Justin and Gee to be replaced by daily John Clayton Show

Tical21

Reaction score
I wish they had found somebody else. John Clayton is unlistenable. He is a fantastic reporter, possibly the best in the biz, but that is all he is any good at whatsoever.

Tical21

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":10d163c9 said:
http://sportsradiokjr.iheart.com/media/play/27042941/

I see softy and danny oneill have a beef as well
I happened to listen to the Softy segment. Possibly the least classy radio segment I have ever heard, and I don't much care for Danny. I will listen to the Honks cor Dick and Hugh, but wont't listen to Softy again.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I see michael grey on twitter saying hes heading to seattle (also dissing gee scott to softy). Could just be a vacation but read into it.

Could see him join kjr and compete against john clayton. Guessing enough time has gone for whatever got.him fired.

DJrmb

Reaction score
While I'm never happy that someone gets fired or to see someone loss their job (been there) I am really happy to see 710 moving on from Justin Myers as a daily radio host. He was terrible, and I think he dragged the show down. Gee Scott was not really any better on their show but he was incredible on the barbershop show, and he offers a really unique insight because of his personal relationships with a lot of the Seahawks players.

The worst thing to me is that they seemed to base the entire show off of how every single move or change a Seattle team made was going to decimate them. They always went with "The sky is falling" to try to have something to talk about. Justin even text me back once "what are we supposed to talk about if we just stick to the facts"...

One good thing that they came up with that I hope someone picks up is the "Confessions" segment. That was something that was interesting at times and a good use of their audience participation like "Answer the question jerk" when B&S first started that. If they got their shows more on board with those audience participation tools like texting in and twitter polls then I think they'd get more of the younger demographic that they eventually need to find a way to reach.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This should have been done a long time ago. Justin and Gee were easily the worst local sports radio show in Seattle. I can write paragraphs about how unbearable their show was, but I'll refrain. I'm not a huge fan of Clayton, but it's definitely an upgrade. Clayton can obviously talk NFL, but I'm guessing his show will be a normal sports show, so he'll have to step his game up when it comes to MLB, NBA, Huskies, etc.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1176e98c said:
This should have been done a long time ago. Justin and Gee were easily the worst local sports radio show in Seattle. I can write paragraphs about how unbearable their show was, but I'll refrain. I'm not a huge fan of Clayton, but it's definitely an upgrade. Clayton can obviously talk NFL, but I'm guessing his show will be a normal sports show, so he'll have to step his game up when it comes to MLB, NBA, Huskies, etc.

I don't know if he will other than NFL and college. I think most radio listener-ship is probably hawks fans and while it is slow just now, it won't be shortly with preseason heating up.

If the Mariners keep improving then that may change but not everyone is on the band wagon yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
At least Gee had some personality, and personally knows a lot of Hawks..........which gives some interesting insights from his conversations with his Hawk buddies from time to time.

I think John Clayton is boring as hell, so this is not an upgrade for me. Unless you're playing the John Clayton drinking game where you drink every time he says "let's put it this way," which he can't start a sentence without saying it.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fycqmqu said:
Unless you're playing the John Clayton drinking game where you drink every time he says "let's put it this way," .

hmmm, I suppose that's why cars have airbags.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lxpyns0 said:
At least Gee had some personality, and personally knows a lot of Hawks..........which gives some interesting insights from his conversations with his Hawk buddies from time to time.

I think John Clayton is boring as hell, so this is not an upgrade for me. Unless you're playing the John Clayton drinking game where you drink every time he says "let's put it this way," which he can't start a sentence without saying it.

I like the "but also too" he uses when any one of those will do.

LolaRox

Reaction score
This is not good news for me.

I was not a huge Justin & Gee fan but I thought they were ok in small doses. I don't follow other Seattle/WA teams so I only listened for Seahawks news.

John seems like a nice guy, but he is not interesting, entertaining or funny, he doesn't seem to have any insider or breaking news and I can't stand to listen to him. The only thing he seems to have information on is contract stuff and you can find that all over social media these days. In my opinion he was already on the the radio too much and now to give him 2 hours everyday is brutal. I'll pass.

Geologic

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2zguqs1o said:

I like 710ESPN but no mention of Justin's firing after letting him go (No thank you for your time here or send off at all; renamed to Gee and Company and Gee doesn't even say Justin's name) and this.... makes me not want to listen to Seattle Sports radio at all.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't mean a daily call from that boring bumbling guy that Clayton has on for 20 minutes of his first segment of his Saturday show...or Irish mankey...awful.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Geologic":21pdg3sj said:
Glasgow Seahawk":21pdg3sj said:

I like 710ESPN but no mention of Justin's firing after letting him go (No thank you for your time here or send off at all; renamed to Gee and Company and Gee doesn't even say Justin's name)
Agreed, that was weird. Unceremonious like the Michael Grey change. Makes me wonder if something happened behind the scenes or if there were slowly-degrading relationships at the office. Not gonna get all gossippy or bother to scour for scandalous reports, tho. I'm content to just wonder and move on I guess.

Atradees

Reaction score
I like Clayton....alot. I had heard the Barbershop and all that.....it sucked. Good for John, Good for me. Seems like that show came around about two years ago. Tried to get into it. The guys had local connections to players like Trufant and such it seemed. For me sports talk radio is about the local commute to and from work. I don't like when they run out of Associated Press stories so they start talking about various other supposedly social topics. Granted the vast majority of shows run along those lines. I want stories about the Hawks and the Mariners. (Blazers be to much to ask?) Not just headline national stories that are over done. I dont care about how Lebron feels about Curry, baseball steroid scandals...whatever. That's not journalism. That's not sports. I want chalk talk. Nerdy local sports stuff. An insiders angle. Give me suppositions or near guesses. Thing I couldn't guess on my own from from whateva source. Something fresh.

Love this kinda stuff.

[youtube]SfESSq0rfDM[/youtube]

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":35qlq2f0 said:
Geologic":35qlq2f0 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":35qlq2f0 said:

I like 710ESPN but no mention of Justin's firing after letting him go (No thank you for your time here or send off at all; renamed to Gee and Company and Gee doesn't even say Justin's name)
Agreed, that was weird. Unceremonious like the Michael Grey change. Makes me wonder if something happened behind the scenes or if there were slowly-degrading relationships at the office. Not gonna get all gossippy or bother to scour for scandalous reports, tho. I'm content to just wonder and move on I guess.

Why would that be expected and what is weird about it? I don't know many employers that give a person a public send off when they terminate employment. Seems like the norm.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1hpl1hdr said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1hpl1hdr said:
Geologic":1hpl1hdr said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1hpl1hdr said:

Why would that be expected and what is weird about it? I don't know many employers that give a person a public send off when they terminate employment. Seems like the norm.

I understand it's business but it feels like Michael Grey never existed on that station. He's been completely purged, yet hosts will happily talk about Kevin Callabro when he used to work there.

Gee got a public send off today, seems weird he did but Justin didn't.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1gfadoci said:
I understand it's business but it feels like Michael Grey never existed on that station. He's been completely purged, yet hosts will happily talk about Kevin Callabro when he used to work there.

Gee got a public send off today, seems weird he did but Justin didn't.

Calabro was a local public figure who was Sonics announcer for about 2 decades. He also resigned from the station.
Gee Scott is still employed by 710.

Grey and Justin were both terminated by their employer. Huge difference.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Basis4day":2twhil4a said:
HawkAroundTheClock":2twhil4a said:
Geologic":2twhil4a said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2twhil4a said:

Because that station has made many, many on-air changes in the past few years and only 2 were awkward and unannounced. By definition that makes it weird.

And "most employers" don't have employees who talk to thousands of people on a daily basis, or in a regular format. Those who do usually announce changes. If ESPN opened MNF 2016 without Tirico, Dilfer, et al., and never mentioned those guys at all, people would think that was weird.

Why am I having to explain this? Like I said, I'm content with moving on. Sheesh.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the etiquette is on acknowledging someone in media after they've been fired. Did ESPN say anything after they fired Curt Schilling? Bill Simmons?

It would make sense to have some kind of "send off," but at the same time it can be awkward because they got fired. If I were in charge of the station, I'd just mention it real quick and then move on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Very rarely do radio personalities get a send off or even have a chance to say goodbye. Stations do that on purpose because they don't want to give the DJ's or personalities time to vent and talk crap on the air for days or weeks.

It's a dog eat dog business, and they all know it.

What gets me is Justin and Gee had to have higher ratings than their competition Chuck Powell. That's dude's even more boring than Clayton. So not sure what happened.............I can't see Clayton maintaining Brock and Salk's audience into the mid-morning.