Justin and Gee to be replaced by daily John Clayton Show

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3m4gfgfw said:
Because that station has made many, many on-air changes in the past few years and only 2 were awkward and unannounced. By definition that makes it weird.

And "most employers" don't have employees who talk to thousands of people on a daily basis, or in a regular format. Those who do usually announce changes. If ESPN opened MNF 2016 without Tirico, Dilfer, et al., and never mentioned those guys at all, people would think that was weird.

Why am I having to explain this? Like I said, I'm content with moving on. Sheesh.

You don't have to explain anything. I'm engaging you in conversation regarding your opinions. If you don't want to continue it then it's no harm no foul for me.

For anyone who has similar thoughts and want to take up the conversation. I can only think of two on air personalities at 710 that were terminated. Michael Grey and Justin Meyers. There is a big difference between " on-air changes" at a station and people being terminated. I think that's the source of it being "awkward". I call that normal for a termination. Most terminations in any line of work are unannounced.

I also think there is a big difference in scale between a Mike Tirico on MNF and Justin Meyers on 710 Seattle (In addition, Tirico took a new job with SNF, he wasn't terminated).

Colin Paisley resigned. Kevin Calabro resigned. Every other change (Danny O'Neal moving around, Tom Wassell joining Bob and Groz, return of Mike Salk, Michael Grey getting his own show) involved people switching shows.

Geologic

Reaction score
Basis4day":14cmgvz1 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":14cmgvz1 said:
Geologic":14cmgvz1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":14cmgvz1 said:
http://sportsradiokjr.iheart.com/media/play/27042941/

I see softy and danny oneill have a beef as well

I like 710ESPN but no mention of Justin's firing after letting him go (No thank you for your time here or send off at all; renamed to Gee and Company and Gee doesn't even say Justin's name)
Agreed, that was weird. Unceremonious like the Michael Grey change. Makes me wonder if something happened behind the scenes or if there were slowly-degrading relationships at the office. Not gonna get all gossippy or bother to scour for scandalous reports, tho. I'm content to just wonder and move on I guess.

Why would that be expected and what is weird about it? I don't know many employers that give a person a public send off when they terminate employment. Seems like the norm.
Do you work as a public figure? If so, you have a crappy employer. If you're a public figure, you usually get a "thank you" press release just for respect. This isn't your normal job. It's a public speaking role. The least amount of respect Salk could have done is to issue a press release thanking Justin for his time spent at 710. He could have thank Justin for his time spent at 710 and then say due to a pivot in the companies feature, he had to let him go. Be respectful about it, don't try to shove it under the rug.

This makes me question the Michael Grey fiaso. Remember when people thought he sexually harassed an intern when he just got canned? According to him talking on Softy's show this week, he got fired because he wasn't a Salk hire so Salk let him go. And he didn't harass an intern.

710 should have released the statement why Grey was let go. If the statement about him sexually harassing an intern was true, then he has no room to talk back against the press release.

Geologic

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2ahfwzxq said:
I'm not sure what the etiquette is on acknowledging someone in media after they've been fired. Did ESPN say anything after they fired Curt Schilling? Bill Simmons?

It would make sense to have some kind of "send off," but at the same time it can be awkward because they got fired. If I were in charge of the station, I'd just mention it real quick and then move on.

Curt got fired and ESPN let the public know why he got fired. http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/21/h ... d-by-espn/

“ESPN is an inclusive company. Curt Schilling has been advised that his conduct was unacceptable and his employment with ESPN has been terminated.”

ESPN made it public why Bill Simmons got fired. people knew why he got fired. Justin doesn't have that kind of power.

“I decided today that we are not going to renew Bill Simmons’ contract. We have been in negotiations and it was clear it was time to move on. ESPN’s relationship with Bill has been mutually beneficial - he has produced great content for us for many years and ESPN has provided him many new opportunities to spread his wings. We wish Bill continued success as he plans his next chapter. ESPN remains committed to Grantland and we have a strong team in place.”

ESPN wished Bill Simmons a good farewell. So whats your point?

I don't listen to much seattle sports radio as it is, but I think I'm done listening now. The transparency is embarrassing. And the whole arena business and Danny Oneil / Softy fight makes this whole thing feel like its run by immature people.

They literally go out of the way to not avoid using Justin's name in the last two shows after the firing. Its disrespectful to the fans and to the radio show host. How does "Justin and Gee Show" turn into "Gee and Company" show overnight without no mention to the daily listeners? And how do Salk and Brock steal "Confessions" from that same show the next day after they get canned? The complaint isn't that they got fired or that it's awkward. It's that the radio station tried to sweep it under the rug. Gee can't even say "goodbye" to Justin and let the daily listeners know?

I'm not even a Justin and Gee fan, and I like John Clayton more for his analysis. But I gotta say that's a dick move by Salk and co to do. You can say "its radio business" which I can reply then "alright I wont listen to them". Its crazy coming from a different area. I haven't seen so much turnover before like Seattle Sports Radio.

If you got any more excuses for 710's crappy response on the firings, I'll keep racking them.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
20 minutes into John Claytons show and him talking about football is night and day compared to him talking about baseball and basketball. Could listen to him talk all day about football but baseball and basketball is awkward to listen to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":q1t6v494 said:
20 minutes into John Claytons show and him talking about football is night and day compared to him talking about baseball and basketball. Could listen to him talk all day about football but baseball and basketball is awkward to listen to.

I give this show 6 months, tops.

No one's tuning into Clayton to listen to his expert analysis on the M's or NBA Championship. Maybe he'll hang in there ratings wise during football season, but other than those 4-5 months, it'll be a ghost town.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1zzn8crd said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1zzn8crd said:

No one's tuning into Clayton to listen to his expert analysis on the M's or NBA Championship. Maybe he'll hang in there ratings wise during football season, but other than those 4-5 months, it'll be a ghost town.

I think it's a bit overkill- this show, his segment on Brock and Salk and Danny, Dave and Moore along with the weekend show. How much can he talk about without constantly repeating the same info over and over.

If KJR get Michael Grey in the 10am slot i'd probably listen to that given he also talks hockey and soccer nd is comfortable on all sports.

Tical21

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2kngsfku said:
Sgt. Largent":2kngsfku said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2kngsfku said:

I think it's a bit overkill- this show, his segment on Brock and Salk and Danny, Dave and Moore along with the weekend show. How much can he talk about without constantly repeating the same info over and over.

If KJR get Michael Grey in the 10am slot i'd probably listen to that given he also talks hockey and soccer nd is comfortable on all sports.
Don't you go messing with my Chuck Powell show. Really though, they should throw Michael Grey at 3PM.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2l286414 said:
Sgt. Largent":2l286414 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2l286414 said:

That was the most confusing part of hiring Clayton, he's about as old and antiquated of a personality and show format as it gets.

Maybe the older demographic that likes that format in that time slot will be good enough? Idk, IMO the sports radio personalities that pull ratings are entertaining first, not just a smart sports guy talking minutia for 2-3 hours a day...........and Clayton is the opposite of entertaining/personality.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That might be the first Richard Sherman interview i've found boring. I don't care what Richard Sherman would do as president and questions like do you think you'll win the superbowl are lame. He's not going to say no. Didn't learn much other than cliche stock answers.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I have no desire to listen to Clayton talk about anything but football. But at the same time, I really don't like the NFL and Seahawk talk that takes place on the radio unless it's during the season, draft, or training camp. All the talk about the Seahawks in late May and June is just chitter-chatter. I just realized the other day that NFL Live is on ESPN basically every day, like what do they actually talk about? But that just shows how popular the NFL is.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3mys72u4 said:
I have no desire to listen to Clayton talk about anything but football. But at the same time, I really don't like the NFL and Seahawk talk that takes place on the radio unless it's during the season, draft, or training camp. All the talk about the Seahawks in late May and June is just chitter-chatter. I just realized the other day that NFL Live is on ESPN basically every day, like what do they actually talk about? But that just shows how popular the NFL is.

Basically make up drama 'Will Doug Baldwin/Michael Bennet/Chancellor sign a new deal?' Other players have so the Seahawks need to now or the price goes up. Creating a panic.

'Will Marshawn come back' despite the fact he is retired and has said so. No doubt brought up this time next year again because people think he misses football.

'Talk up the draft picks and how great they will be before any snap has been taken'- even spin Justin Britt at center as a positive before he takes a snap and give lots of reasons why.

'Who will be the back up QB?'

The worst is when people say 'Who will replace Lynch?'. Ignoring the fact that Thomas Rawls was the clear replacement last year, got most of the carries and was fantastic till he got hurt, he'll be back for preseason I imagine.

If Pete and John don't sign extensions before pre season there will be a ton of chat and drama about that from why they haven't, when will they, if they do how long for, future replacement coaches and GM's etc.

There is always something to discuss and if it is slow they will make things up to make them seem like issues or just discuss other NFL teams: e.g.

'Will the Rams finally be good'

'49ers drama'

'Will the Seahawks get revenge on the Panthers'

'Is the Arizona rivalry the new Jim Harbaugh 49ers era rivalry'

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2m13q2ck said:
Hawk-Lock":2m13q2ck said:

Basically make up drama 'Will Doug Baldwin/Michael Bennet/Chancellor sign a new deal?' Other players have so the Seahawks need to now or the price goes up. Creating a panic.

'Will Marshawn come back' despite the fact he is retired and has said so. No doubt brought up this time next year again because people think he misses football.

'Talk up the draft picks and how great they will be before any snap has been taken'- even spin Justin Britt at center as a positive before he takes a snap and give lots of reasons why.

The worst is when people say 'Who will replace Lynch?'. Ignoring the fact that Thomas Rawls was the clear replacement last year, got most of the carries and was fantastic till he got hurt, he'll be back for preseason I imagine.

If Pete and John don't sign extensions before pre season there will be a ton of chat and drama about that from why they haven't, when will they, if they do how long for, future replacement coaches and GM's etc.

There is always something to discuss and if it is slow they will make things up to make them seem like issues or just discuss other NFL teams: e.g.

'49ers drama'

Yep, it's all just gossip. Which is why I personally don't part-take in most the Seahawk talk on these forums in the off-season. Usually in the summer I prefer national sports talk, but now that the M's are good I'm tuning into the local stuff. But yeah, the Seahawk talk during the dead times of the year can be painful to listen to.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":27mn1q06 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":27mn1q06 said:
Hawk-Lock":27mn1q06 said:

'49ers drama'

Yep, it's all just gossip. Which is why I personally don't part-take in most the Seahawk talk on these forums in the off-season. Usually in the summer I prefer national sports talk, but now that the M's are good I'm tuning into the local stuff. But yeah, the Seahawk talk during the dead times of the year can be painful to listen to.

At this dead part of the year i'd love a couple of hours of soccer to talk about since theres no NBA or NHL team. Just the M's. There's plenty of it going on till football preseason- MLS, Euros, Copa America and given the Sounders attendance there is some market and interest for it.

Soccer really is the red headed step child to the media here and feel it deserves more exposure with its growing at a fast rate.

Failing that talk some more college football. Not just the huskies but the cougs, ducks as well. Id rather want to know what players they have hopes for, get to know players, recruiting, projections, who might make the NFL etc and get a better insight into the teams and coaches mindsets than learn about what Richard Sherman would do as president. Cant help but feel if the huskies had the ducks recent success theyd be talked about almost as much as the hawks.

I know Peterson and Leach are pretty guarded but there must be scouts, insiders, assistant coaches who know stuff like they do with the hawks when Carroll is guarded or deflective.

Just feel we know all we are going to about the hawks until training camp/preseason when we can get our own eye tests and make our own decisions in game situations on how good this team will be and who gets cut.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tuned in for the first time to Clayton's show. He was talking baseball with Tim Kurkijan, and I could tell that Clayton was reading notes, as he knows very little about baseball. I just don't like to listen to a radio host who knows less than I do. And ironically, he had Gee Scott on after. No mention about him taking over his time slot or anything like that. I couldn't tell you what they talked about because after about a minute of Gee talking I had to change the station.

Tical21

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3d52zs3v said:
Tuned in for the first time to Clayton's show. He was talking baseball with Tim Kurkijan, and I could tell that Clayton was reading notes, as he knows very little about baseball. I just don't like to listen to a radio host who knows less than I do. And ironically, he had Gee Scott on after. No mention about him taking over his time slot or anything like that. I couldn't tell you what they talked about because after about a minute of Gee talking I had to change the station.
Don't tell anyone, but he doesn't know anything about football either. He's a reporter. Not an analyst. He knows a ton about the business side of football, but once you get into on-field activity, 100% of what he says is regurgitated from another source.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1mrisiku said:
Very rarely do radio personalities get a send off or even have a chance to say goodbye. Stations do that on purpose because they don't want to give the DJ's or personalities time to vent and talk crap on the air for days or weeks.

It's a dog eat dog business, and they all know it.

What gets me is Justin and Gee had to have higher ratings than their competition Chuck Powell. That's dude's even more boring than Clayton. So not sure what happened.............I can't see Clayton maintaining Brock and Salk's audience into the mid-morning.

I've said it before, Chuck sounds like he should be on 60 minutes or something. Just boring to listen to, and he really only knows baseball. At least Clayton will run circles around everyone with his NFL knowledge.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Tical21":1nclhlxw said:
Hawk-Lock":1nclhlxw said:
Don't tell anyone, but he doesn't know anything about football either. He's a reporter. Not an analyst. He knows a ton about the business side of football, but once you get into on-field activity, 100% of what he says is regurgitated from another source.

This is true. He loves football, but I don't think he truly understands it. Like you said, he gets the business side, and he provides a ton of insight on that end, but if you ask him to break down the actual game, he struggles.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
IMO right now Seattle only has one great radio show, and that is Brock and Salk. That show is just about as good as any local sports radio show on the air right now. There are some decent ones and some bad ones, but Brock and Salk is clearly at the top. I think most everyone can agree on that. After that, it seems like everyone on here has differing opinions on the various radio shows.

I'm not in the car a whole lot, but I usually tune into Brock and Salk til 10AM, then switch over to The Chuck Powell show (now I may alternate between Powell and Clayton), and then in the afternoon I enjoy The Doug Gotlieb show which is a national broadcast on 1090 THE FAN.

My favorite national show is Ferrall On The Bench. That show takes the cake. Even my girlfriend who isn't into sports-talk radio likes listening to it.

Tical21

Reaction score
I have to strongly disagree about Brock. I like Salk, but Brock Huard may be the most annoying human being alive. He adds zero original thought to his arguments and his delivery is histerically terrible. I would rather listen to Softy.

If Mitch is a 10, the next closest local show is about a 5, and it is either Chuck Powell or Jim and Danny. I really like Wassel, but Bob is unlistenable.

I really miss Locke.