Kam Chancellor/ Seahawks agree to 3 year extension

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not even mad. Can't really care about money in this league... eventually the best QBs will make 30m. The best of the other players are starting to push towards 20m.

It's all leading to a new CBA, backed by a new generation of smarter players that should be able to push the threshold of the cap for a bigger piece of the pie.

Chancellor is hands down one of the best players in this league, one of the most intimidating defenders, a big time leader, and its great for morale. Even with the new contract, he still makes less than a lot of mediocre or unproven QBs.

We tend to get blinded by the numbers, but the market is the market. Can't really do much about that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point. The numbers are often not what they seem anyway. But most of the time, a couple years later the deal looks like a bargain. The cap will keep rising regardless. And come on, it's not our money.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Maulbert":2mwsmm5g said:
Jerhawk":2mwsmm5g said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/seahawks-kam-chancellor-reach-year-extension/story?id=48967634

3 years, $36 million. $25 million guaranteed

Thoughts to locking up The Enforcer for 3 more years?

Kam is Bam Bam, or Kamtrak. Kenny Easley was The Enforcer.

And Ken Hamlin was the Hammer!

3cc547ecfede744b74c518b754a252f78887a837ddb0 large

Big hitters in the secondary is a proud Seattle tradition.

Seymour

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":2swlhy4p said:
Maulbert":2swlhy4p said:
Jerhawk":2swlhy4p said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/seahawks-kam-chancellor-reach-year-extension/story?id=48967634

3 years, $36 million. $25 million guaranteed

Thoughts to locking up The Enforcer for 3 more years?

Kam is Bam Bam, or Kamtrak. Kenny Easley was The Enforcer.

And Ken Hamlin was the Hammer!

Big hitters in the secondary is a proud Seattle tradition.

Ken Hamlin also happened to be "The Nail" in his pioneer square fight. :twisted:

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is fabulous! Chancellor is the brains that makes the defense go. We saw that when he held out. :irishdrinkers:

IMHO, it took awhile, but Kam's holdout benefited him...slightly. I would bet that the team saw how important he was, and gave him a larger contract than he might have gotten otherwise. The downside, we may have missed a Superbowl win that year because of his holdout, which is much more costly than any contract.

Like Pandion said, in future years, 2018, 2019 & 2020, 12 million per year will seem like a good deal for the Seahawks as SS contracts will be increasing each year.

There is no replacement for Kam, not even close. Glad we got McDougald though.

edogg23

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a great business move to me but I guess time will tell.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":1k0zieod said:

Every player signing has risks.

The question you have to ask yourself is it better to give Kam an extension and have your defensive team leader in camp, healthy and happy in order to keep and restore some order and stability to a team that had problems with both last year..............or do you let him play out the final year of his deal and more than likely walk.

Which in turn would continue the chaos of last year and make for some unhappy players, including Kam himself.

To me this was a no brainer. We don't have the luxury right now of a SS and team leader ready to hit his prime on the cheap like all these guys were in their 2nd year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And we have no idea what the true numbers are. These guys know what they are doing. If you can't see this signing as a positive, that's your choice. This is a solid decision in many ways.

edogg23

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1284gsvy said:
edogg23":1284gsvy said:

The question you have to ask yourself is it better to give Kam an extension and have your defensive team leader in camp, healthy and happy in order to keep and restore some order and stability to a team that had problems with both last year..............or do you let him play out the final year of his deal and more than likely walk.

Which in turn would continue the chaos of last year and make for some unhappy players, including Kam himself.

To me this was a no brainer. We don't have the luxury right now of a SS and team leader ready to hit his prime on the cheap like all these guys were in their 2nd year.

My rebuttal would be would you rather have a hungry Kam this year or one who just got paid his last big contract and now had no reason to play through the pain of one of the nagging injuries you can expect him to get at this stage of his carrier. And what about all of those defensive rookies you just drafted who are suppose to go out there and compete. You are now saying to them unless Kam goes down with an injury we hope you never see the field under your rookie contract.

Seymour

Reaction score
edogg23":3srk19jc said:
Sgt. Largent":3srk19jc said:
edogg23":3srk19jc said:

My rebuttal would be would you rather have a hungry Kam this year or one who just got paid his last big contract and now had no reason to play through the pain of one of the nagging injuries you can expect him to get at this stage of his carrier. And what about all of those defensive rookies you just drafted who are suppose to go out there and compete. You are now saying to them unless Kam goes down with an injury we hope you never see the field under your rookie contract.

I personally would not sell Kam short when it comes to being self motivated. The guy holds out, gets stonewalled, then instead of coming back and pouting like many would, he instantly ignited and elevated the defense to a very high level. He knows the holdout was a mistake, and is not too big to admit it like at least 1 LOB brother would never have.

I think the back end of this could bite us a bit, but it was needed right now, and we'll deal with that later if it ever comes to that. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":278aybtd said:

1. I'm not worried about Kam's hunger, contract or not. The dude's a warrior, which is why he's one of the best team leaders in the NFL, everyone respects the hell out of how hard he plays. btw, keeping him hungry just means he plays well and probably leaves just like every other player we let play out his contract. Someone will overpay.

2. Defensive rookies are just that, rookies. Do you trust those guys to come in and play well? I don't. Let them all learn from the best DB and safeties in the NFL, then they'll be ready to roll in another year or two.

Believe me, with how the NFL works with everyone having to play nickel and dime coverage 80% of the time, those guys will get plenty of reps and opportunities..........and if one or two of those guys pop? Then we can cut guys like Kam, and even Richard in 1-2 years.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Sgt. Largent":394uam6a said:
edogg23":394uam6a said:

1. I'm not worried about Kam's hunger, contract or not. The dude's a warrior, which is why he's one of the best team leaders in the NFL, everyone respects the hell out of how hard he plays. btw, keeping him hungry just means he plays well and probably leaves just like every other player we let play out his contract. Someone will overpay.

2. Defensive rookies are just that, rookies. Do you trust those guys to come in and play well? I don't. Let them all learn from the best DB and safeties in the NFL, then they'll be ready to roll in another year or two.

Believe me, with how the NFL works with everyone having to play nickel and dime coverage 80% of the time, those guys will get plenty of reps and opportunities..........and if one or two of those guys pop? Then we can cut guys like Kam, and even Richard in 1-2 years.

Quoted for Truth. & the Last sentence is painful to read but very true.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Lets look at this from a different point of view. I love what Kam has done for Seattle but Kam is at the end of his career and his skills are not the same as they used to be, he probably has three years left. 25 guaranteed seems like alot but I guess if it keeps the cohesion on the team. Sadly the idea that Sherman, Earl and Kam can play for 25 years like Russell talks about is very unlikely. The game has changed.

adeltaY

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1eys6s2j said:
Lets look at this from a different point of view. I love what Kam has done for Seattle but Kam is at the end of his career and his skills are not the same as they used to be, he probably has three years left. 25 guaranteed seems like alot but I guess if it keeps the cohesion on the team. Sadly the idea that Sherman, Earl and Kam can play for 25 years like Russell talks about is very unlikely. The game has changed.

What evidence is there his skills are declining? For what it's worth, PFF had him at a 91.2 and rated him our best player. Eye test and general opinion line up with that at least to the extent that he is an elite player who came up big time in big moments such as against Gronk @ NE.

The only bad play I remember him giving up is against Johnson to lose us that home game against AZ and let's be real... That guy is almost unstoppable.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kam had one of his best years last year in terms of grades. Brock said that je was the highest graded SS in coverage last year. I don't know where he got that, but I did see that he was the 6th best safety in coverage by pff, free or strong.

I don't get where this "not what it used to be" crap comes from. He's in his prime and is at 225 pounds with now clean ankles that have been altering his play for the last two years.

There's a lot of delusional nonsense about the guy because of sandy vages two years ago.

Whatever...you'll have to eat that for the next 3 years at least.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
You also have to look how this is viewed by other players as well. The team rewards loyalty and will pay for performance. Kam has proven himself. For those who say he lost a step well maybe he did. According to him he was playing on an injured foot the last two seasons and he had it fixed this past off season. And those who say he will play soft because he has nothing to play for is not paying attention to the character of the player. This was a good move for the overall attitude and spirit of the team. With a great player thrown in as well.