Kam holding out for more money

Chapow

Reaction score
scutterhawk":36t5alki said:
What the hell good is contractual agreements, if nobody wants to adhere to them?
Your word is your bond, and a contract with your signature on it is also a bond.

Players see their teammates and others around the league get cut with 1, 2, 3 years remaining on their contracts all the time. Players see their teammates and others around the league asked to "restructure" (A.K.A. take less or you will be cut) their contracts all the time.

IMO, it's the teams that have set the precedent that contracts don't mean much and are subject to change pretty much at will.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1zjs4l4x said:
scutterhawk":1zjs4l4x said:
What the hell good is contractual agreements, if nobody wants to adhere to them?
Your word is your bond, and a contract with your signature on it is also a bond.

Players see their teammates and others around the league get cut with 1, 2, 3 years remaining on their contracts all the time. Players see their teammates and others around the league asked to "restructure" (A.K.A. take less or you will be cut) their contracts all the time.

IMO, it's the teams that have set the precedent that contracts don't mean much and are subject to change pretty much at will.

Even though your statement is true, both Bennett and Kam are guaranteed their base salary for this season, so there is really no reason to hold out right now. They signed the deal and haven't even gotten through the guaranteed portions of their contracts before asking for more money.

It's one thing to get to the point where you could be cut and ask for some more guarantees, but when you are playing under a year that is already guaranteed, then you have very little (to no) leverage for more money.

Chapow

Reaction score
kidhawk":17jyt5g4 said:
Chapow":17jyt5g4 said:
scutterhawk":17jyt5g4 said:

Even though your statement is true, both Bennett and Kam are guaranteed their base salary for this season, so there is really no reason to hold out right now. They signed the deal and haven't even gotten through the guaranteed portions of their contracts before asking for more money.

It's one thing to get to the point where you could be cut and ask for some more guarantees, but when you are playing under a year that is already guaranteed, then you have very little (to no) leverage for more money.

Well, scutterhawk's comment seemed pretty general and my response to his comment was also just in general.

I just don't get why people expect players to honor contracts when teams don't.

Veilside

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":v4wluvbg said:
Why is everyone blaming Wilson, Lynch started the ride. If JS was to stick to his guns this wouldn't have happened. It went from Lynch to Bennet and now Kam, but yet it's Wilson's fault? So your blaming the guy who haven't signed a big contract to guys who have signed theirs and now all of a sudden wants more money, regardless of it's more guarantees or not. Has anyone ever figured that maybe that's Wilson is trying to get the biggest money as he can so shizz like this wouldn't happen? If Wilson was to do the same thing he would have more people angry and mad more than he does now.

This is what happens when your whole crew is good and everyone think they deserve more money, welcome to the salary cap era folks, this just happens to be our first time dealing with all this since we have a really really good team.

This right here. We'll never know for sure, but how many people think Bennett and Kam would be doing this if JS had told Lynch no to more money? It's possible the exact same thing would be happening regardless and this is just the natural progression that all elite teams go through, but I can't imagine Lynch's situation not at least influencing them that much further.

I think what we can all learn from this situation is that when players talk about being "brothers" and being all about the team that they are actually telling the truth. They are telling the truth because it's not even on the same level of existence as the money and that is just how the NFL and possibly all the major professional sports works. I don't blame them one bit. Money is already a very powerful motivator and in the NFL world it also is one of the biggest factors of respect.

Money > winning and brotherhood (unless an older player is just trying to get their last chances to win the big one)

The sooner we accept this the easier it will be to be the fan of an elite team and be easier to predict what will happen in the future.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":e1xreh1k said:
kidhawk":e1xreh1k said:
Chapow":e1xreh1k said:
scutterhawk":e1xreh1k said:

Well, scutterhawk's comment seemed pretty general and my response to his comment was also just in general.

I think you missed the point. Both players are still in the guaranteed portion of their contracts. Even if cut, both players get their full salary this year. Therefor, the team is bound by the terms of the contract through this year, so in line with your statement, why are players not honoring contracts that are guaranteed?

Once you get through the guaranteed portions of the contract, then negotiating makes a lot more sense. When you are in a contract year that is 100% guaranteed, there's no reason to renegotiate the figures you agreed to.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":18xpvdsi said:
Irvin's being helpful...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/626436291349995520[/tweet]

That a guy is such a fool. He makes it so hard to root for him.

Veilside

Reaction score
Smellyman":11pl99wz said:
SnoCoHawk":11pl99wz said:
Irvin's being helpful...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/626436291349995520[/tweet]

That a guy is such a fool. He makes it so hard to root for him.

I have little doubt that everyone on that team is thinking the same thing especially those he's closest to. I really think that the salary cap is a factor of very little consideration in the minds of these guys. The theme is "Get yo money" because you never know how long your actually going to have the opportunity.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I'm going to choose to look at this in a positive light.

The good news is now Bennett won't feel alone when he doesn't receive the raise he is asking for . . . There is a 0.0% chance Kam Chancellor sits out a game if he is healthy. This is a defensive leader who has played through all kinds of pain for this team. I really don't see that happening.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Chapow":fgwex0xm said:
kidhawk":fgwex0xm said:
Chapow":fgwex0xm said:
scutterhawk":fgwex0xm said:

Because it's different when they ask for raises at their jobs.

Seafan

Reaction score
Chapow":28emambp said:
kidhawk":28emambp said:
Chapow":28emambp said:
scutterhawk":28emambp said:

Teams have to honor contracts, if they didn't there would be a lot of law suits. Your statement shows you don't understand NFL contracts. When players don't honor their contracts they can be fined.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Who cares? It's unlikely he will hold out get fines. Even more unlikely he will miss games and thus game checks. He will play under his current contract or simply lose money.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
This is just a way to avoid piss tests......heal up BamBam I ain't mad at ya. #it'smedicinal.

BuZzB28

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3duzxgeh said:
Really, Q13? :34853_doh:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Q13FOX/status/626434654468485121[/tweet]

I told you. Kam is special a defense and better than Thomas. I am tell you dude. If we can't pay the man (Kam) then we will have probably a problem of defense. Better suggest you that Pay the Man!

BuZzB28

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3p1sbgz8 said:
Who cares? It's unlikely he will hold out get fines. Even more unlikely he will miss games and thus game checks. He will play under his current contract or simply lose money.

Yeah, sound is better fair.. I disliked who is hold out and it is not right things, cuz they are evil cuz they wanted more moneys..it is real hell to evil. Smh

OP
OP
dutchcoug

dutchcoug

Reaction score
BuZzB28":8e7jw2mu said:
SnoCoHawk":8e7jw2mu said:
Really, Q13? :34853_doh:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Q13FOX/status/626434654468485121[/tweet]

I told you. Kam is special a defense and better than Thomas. I am tell you dude. If we can't pay the man (Kam) then we will have probably a problem of defense. Better suggest you that Pay the Man!

Someone from Q13 doesn't know their Seahawks, that's not Kam, it's Ricardo Lockette.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
BuZzB28":1qityey6 said:
Tech Worlds":1qityey6 said:

Yeah, sound is better fair.. I disliked who is hold out and it is not right things, cuz they are evil cuz they wanted more moneys..it is real hell to evil. Smh
Drink often?