Kam Newton : is he a real option ?

Chawker

Reaction score
Could Kam Newton be a realistic option for the Seahawks in 2022. He big and strong QB with enough to lead our team to the play offs, or a waste of money ?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Personally I would pass, I was not a fan when he was good, but now? Nope

Smellyman

Reaction score
LOL

Edit: Might as well throw my hat in the ring too. I will let the Hawks FO know

Rainger

Reaction score
Could Kam Newton be a realistic option for the Seahawks in 2022. He big and strong QB with enough to lead our team to the play offs, or a waste of money ?
PLEASE stop!!!! All this looking for some washed up or old QB to come in and "save us".

Just let Drew and Geno have their year and get a young, TALL, smart, QB next year.

All this stop gap thinking is just going to put back the next great Seahawks years as it previously started in 2011. This is 2011 all over again, 2023 will be the next QB.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I am waiting for the cuts to happen and thats when I think a QB will be nabbed.

toffee

Reaction score
If we need Cam, Geno and Lock must either be injured or sucked real bad. At that point, the season is over anyways, may as well try some hungry, make that very hungry young QB. Some one like a young and second coming of Kurt Warner.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If we need Cam, Geno and Lock must either be injured or sucked real bad. At that point, the season is over anyways, may as well try some hungry, make that very hungry young QB. Some one like a young and second coming of Kurt Warner.
The bar is pretty low right now but Newton doesn't move it any higher. I'd choose Fig Newton over Cam to lead the team at QB. So it's a no from me too.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm almost 74 y/o, and I say let's wait a year to draft our next franchise QB.

Anything else is akin to "Sound and Fury signifying nothing".

Ruminator

Reaction score
Oh, great discussion! What other former QBs might we be able to pluck from the retirement home? How about Jim McMahon? He was pretty good for the Bears!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The NFL has a system to assure that good teams become bad and that bad teams can become good quickly.
Very rarely do you see good/great QBs on bad teams. Not for long. The NFL skewed the rules so far that teams with exceptional QBs enjoy a significant advantage over teams without them.
QBs are the key to success for an NFL franchise. You can almost get by with a mediocre coach and exceptional QB. You really cannot have sustained success over time even with a good coach if you haven't at least got a top-tier QB.

The only team I can think of that has a great QB that isn't winning at a high enough clip is probably the Chargers, you could also say the Texans but that was such a mess the 2nd coming of Joe Montana would have trouble winning there.
Why does this matter?
Because when you have a tremendous QB you get to win for years, until that QB becomes less effective. (Even though, though...see Green Bay)

Otherwise, you can have a good or even great coach, and a solid roster, and still not do fantastically (see the Patriots)
So we had our QB and our winning. Now teams like Buffalo, Cincy, and maybe the Chargers will get to win.
Sure, the 49ers can win without a QB but that is more an outlier than the reality.

Picking lesser QBs off the scrap heap might be able to help us, but honestly - if Bill couldn't make it work, Carroll won't be able to with the same guy. Bill is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NFL. He runs rings around Carroll.
The more reasonable move is to shoot for a playoff slot and enjoy the wins we can get. The idea that we can just make our way back to the top of the playoff teams isn't reasonable. And I am not sure what bringing in middling QBs do except prevent you from failing enough to get a good draft pick & reload.
There is no 'patch' for this. Maybe if you are the Rams with a ridiculous roster full of stars, you can get by with a QB that is not exceptional but very good. Maybe if you are the 49ers, you can coach your way out of the mess...but not in a sustained way, with a few peaks and lots of valleys. But the likely solution is going to require a great QB. That seems more a luck thing.