Kam Newton : is he a real option ?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The NFL has a system to assure that good teams become bad and that bad teams can become good quickly.
Very rarely do you see good/great QBs on bad teams. Not for long. The NFL skewed the rules so far that teams with exceptional QBs enjoy a significant advantage over teams without them.
QBs are the key to success for an NFL franchise. You can almost get by with a mediocre coach and exceptional QB. You really cannot have sustained success over time even with a good coach if you haven't at least got a top-tier QB.

The only team I can think of that has a great QB that isn't winning at a high enough clip is probably the Chargers, you could also say the Texans but that was such a mess the 2nd coming of Joe Montana would have trouble winning there.
Why does this matter?
Because when you have a tremendous QB you get to win for years, until that QB becomes less effective. (Even though, though...see Green Bay)

Otherwise, you can have a good or even great coach, and a solid roster, and still not do fantastically (see the Patriots)
So we had our QB and our winning. Now teams like Buffalo, Cincy, and maybe the Chargers will get to win.
Sure, the 49ers can win without a QB but that is more an outlier than the reality.

Picking lesser QBs off the scrap heap might be able to help us, but honestly - if Bill couldn't make it work, Carroll won't be able to with the same guy. Bill is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NFL. He runs rings around Carroll.
The more reasonable move is to shoot for a playoff slot and enjoy the wins we can get. The idea that we can just make our way back to the top of the playoff teams isn't reasonable. And I am not sure what bringing in middling QBs do except prevent you from failing enough to get a good draft pick & reload.
There is no 'patch' for this. Maybe if you are the Rams with a ridiculous roster full of stars, you can get by with a QB that is not exceptional but very good. Maybe if you are the 49ers, you can coach your way out of the mess...but not in a sustained way, with a few peaks and lots of valleys. But the likely solution is going to require a great QB. That seems more a luck thing.
I understand your point. But to counter it, the Titans and Ravens are winning without great QBs.

John63

Reaction score
The bar is pretty low right now but Newton doesn't move it any higher. I'd choose Fig Newton over Cam to lead the team at QB. So it's a no from me too.
LOL fig newton

John63

Reaction score
I'm almost 74 y/o, and I say let's wait a year to draft our next franchise QB.

Anything else is akin to "Sound and Fury signifying nothing".
I agree with this. If we are going to let PC do this, then let him do it the way he did before and hope he still has the luck. Let him get his defense and run the game the way he wants, then get a QB in the draft. Mind you I am not saying it will work But if PC is our HC then that's the best way to do it.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I understand your point. But to counter it, the Titans and Ravens are winning without great QBs.
Both guys are better than any option we have this year. And if either played for SF, they beat the rams.

flv2

Reaction score
Both QBs are top 16, but other factors come into play - HC and divisional opponents. The Ravens have a great HC and the Titans are in the NFL's weakest division.

WarHawks

Reaction score
PLEASE stop!!!! All this looking for some washed up or old QB to come in and "save us".

Just let Drew and Geno have their year and get a young, TALL, smart, QB next year.

All this stop gap thinking is just going to put back the next great Seahawks years as it previously started in 2011. This is 2011 all over again, 2023 will be the next QB.
1000x this.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I know, right? There’s a first for everything.

GemCity

Reaction score
Let Lock or Geno pilot this tank. At a minimum, grab Levi’s next year. Shroud if you can.

JimmyforourQB

Reaction score
Pass on Newton.... but damn, go after mayfield.... he played hurt last year... he’s had proven success..... he’s head n heels better than Gino or lock ! Anybody but lock please👍

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hard pass on Newton, who is a used up one trick pony.

toffee

Reaction score
Pete might just enjoy making it work with Cam, a gentle slap on Bill?

Own The West

Reaction score
I don’t get why people are so down on Lock. It’s not like he was bad as a rookie, then got doghoused by his new coach. Hardly a situation anyone would thrive in. If anything it would make him a better prospect because he’s humble and hungry.

We just dumped a 33 year-old diva that hasn’t down squat in 7-8 years; why would you want to bring in another?

JimmyforourQB

Reaction score
I’d take cam Newton before lock... anybody but lock means cam is a yes!
I’m hoping for baker though.....

Rosco

Reaction score
I don’t get why people are so down on Lock. It’s not like he was bad as a rookie, then got doghoused by his new coach. Hardly a situation anyone would thrive in. If anything it would make him a better prospect because he’s humble and hungry.

We just dumped a 33 year-old diva that hasn’t down squat in 7-8 years; why would you want to bring in another?
Good portion are just following the mob mentality of the naysayers. Some are Broncos fans not wanting Lock to succeed elsewhere