Kasen Williams not making the team

Seymour

Reaction score
Subzero717":2dnf6jgq said:
I personally agree with the op 100%. I think those pointing to where he went and what's he's done since are completely missing the point. "Always Compete" is the "central theme to the program." He played lights out receiving and on ST's in the preseason as did Desir. Both were cut and both were head scratchers.

I have been watching football for a while now and I can't remember a bubble player being cut and having current and former players take the FO to task on it the way this did.

Its not the cut but what it demonstrated. Same as the trade for Graham. Trade for Richardson and a few others. Its not the trade itself per se but a veering off in philosophy.

BTW- McEvoy, Moore and Darboh all suck.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Finally someone stumbled on the "real problem" here.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kasen was one example.

Maybe not the best.

But there were others and the point stands that the players noticed and called out the FO on not following the very philosophy that made them winners.

Not signing Kasen was a symptom of the issue, not the issue itself.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
original poster":2pzu65or said:
IIRC Williams didn’t make the 53 due to his lack of effort on plays that weren’t going to him.

The players will be well aware of it. If his blocking was good I’d agree that it sets an awful example not keeping him but lack of effort in blocking is as good a reason as any other not to make the team. He certainly looked special at times, though.

The fact he cleared waivers is telling.

^^^ This.

Personally, I wish we had kept him as a project and helped him develop his downfield blocking. But I'll also trust Pete when he cuts a player with obvious talent. There are some guys you just have to say goodbye to, because keeping them is not a good thing for the team.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Steve2222":e52aaobu said:
Subzero717":e52aaobu said:
Steve2222":e52aaobu said:
Uncle Si":e52aaobu said:
Not the point being made though.

Although it’s hard to argue in hindsight he should’ve been kept

He could have been kept seeing as he’s currently a free agent. So no an argument can’t really be made....

Also I see the point he’s trying to make. And it’s not a good one seeing as no team in the NFL wants him. He’s just supposed to take up a precious roster spot because he made a few good plays in the preseason because of a “Always Compete” motto? Give me a break.
No, you don't get the point.

Pretty sure I do

- Makes a few splash plays in the preseason
- Pete’s mantra is Always Compete
- Should have an automatic roster spot because of it

What am I missing. Please explain?
Read the first paragraph of the op. Its not a case of Kasen would have led us to the playoffs with his spectacular playmaking ability. Its making an opinion that the Kasen situation is case of the FO getting away from the philosophy which their program is built on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Steve2222":34etxcg8 said:
Uncle Si":34etxcg8 said:
Steve2222":34etxcg8 said:
lol people are still upset about Kasen? I wonder what team is going to pick up the future Hall of Famer?

What a dumb topic

Not the point being made though.

Although it’s hard to argue in hindsight he should’ve been kept

He could have been kept seeing as he’s currently a free agent. So no an argument can’t really be made....

Also I see the point he’s trying to make. And it’s not a good one seeing as no team in the NFL wants him. He’s just supposed to take up a precious roster spot because he made a few good plays in the preseason because of a “Always Compete” motto? Give me a break.

His point wasnt about what Kasen is now, but what he was in the preseason.

As I said, hindsight.

Megatron

Reaction score
brimsalabim":11c9socz said:
Megatron you completely whiffed on his point.

No I got his point, the OP just chose a poor example to start with, players who can not stay on a team's 53 man roster failed to beat out their competition. If he stuck with Mike Davis and Blair Walsh I could go agree with that. But starting with Kasen Williams was a bad choice.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Megatron":3vlaf5rd said:
brimsalabim":3vlaf5rd said:

No I got his point, the OP just chose a poor example to start with, players who can not stay on a team's 53 man roster failed to beat out their competition. If he stuck with Mike Davis and Blair Walsh I could go agree with that. But starting with Kasen Williams was a bad choice.
Again, its not today. Its at the time and what it symbolized. No current and former players publicly took the FO to task because Davis was on the PS and Walsh was on the team.

Megatron

Reaction score
Subzero717":3kw14ezz said:
Megatron":3kw14ezz said:
brimsalabim":3kw14ezz said:

Again, its not today. Its at the time and what it symbolized. No current and former players publicly took the FO to task because Davis was on the PS and Walsh was on the team.

Are you talking about Sherman tweeting "There is no explanation for this!" Lol, he also said Tharold Simon would be better than him someday.

It's been said numerous times on this forum that Williams didn't give a !00% on plays not going to him and he was a poor run blocker. Here is one thread http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138099&start=0.

Just to point how bad his blocking was watch this. It's a good thing Mike Davis was able to juke the CB because Williams wasn't going to help him out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UU9oGoRKQY He looks like he's saying to himself what do I do, what do I do, oh ok I'll just dance around here and there, and maybe look like I was going to block the CB at the end of the play.

These are the reasons why many people believe he was waived, only the coaches know for sure. But it sure looks like he failed to make the Seahawk's 53 man roster because he did not compete well enough.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I didn't agree with keeping McEvoy over Kasen to be sure. Secondly what looked like a position of depth in training camp ended up being PRich Tyler and Baldwin and that's not a group you can win with on offense it started to be a problem last year and we all saw the results this year . They have to rebuild this WR corp. Baldwin is the only consistent WR Seattle has . Tyler and PRich are horribly inconsistent there not Championship caliber talent period. Maybe you keep Locket as a kick returner but PRich and McEvoy are not going to cut it. No I don't think WR was the deciding factor this year but they definatly played a big part . The O-line has to be top priority as well as DL and RB this off season. There's a reason Jimmy is putting up the numbers with Baldlwin and no one else is. Baldwin because he has great speed in and out of breaks and great route running Jimmy is what 6'7nuff said there . We need a big WR to go along with Doug right now we have to many small speedy WR's and no tall Physical WR's that can move the chains. This offense needs an overhaul and if they don't do it you can bank on not making the playoffs again next season .

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
At mid season: we're okay. Our WR have some of the highest reception rates.
Doug is uncoverable. I'd take him over every receiver not named Antonio Brown.
We dont need a WR#1 when he's our number 1?
Doug's the engine that drives this offense.
Now: Maybe Kasen will come back and we can have a redo.
Get rid of Graham he only scored 10 TDs--he's no good.
Doug's right that Bevell's playcalling and play design isn't the issue..

This team doesn't have an identity and It's schizophrenic.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ia8sld6 said:
He has done absolutely NOTHING in the NFL, and people act like they cut Julio Jones

Thats the hometown honks....can't really talk any sense into them unfortunately..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
gowazzu02":13ig0n4i said:
SoulfishHawk":13ig0n4i said:
He has done absolutely NOTHING in the NFL, and people act like they cut Julio Jones

Thats the hometown honks....can't really talk any sense into them unfortunately..

But it wasn't the point of the OP.

That point was that PC has ignored his own mantra in terms of competitiveness and the OP believed the Kasen Williams was an early example.

You could certainly take his point and carry it to the current status of the team, including the kicker, OC, DC and Oline coach

Subzero717

Reaction score
Megatron":10ctl263 said:
Subzero717":10ctl263 said:
Megatron":10ctl263 said:
brimsalabim":10ctl263 said:

Are you talking about Sherman tweeting "There is no explanation for this!" Lol, he also said Tharold Simon would be better than him someday.

It's been said numerous times on this forum that Williams didn't give a !00% on plays not going to him and he was a poor run blocker. Here is one thread http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138099&start=0.

Just to point how bad his blocking was watch this. It's a good thing Mike Davis was able to juke the CB because Williams wasn't going to help him out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UU9oGoRKQY He looks like he's saying to himself what do I do, what do I do, oh ok I'll just dance around here and there, and maybe look like I was going to block the CB at the end of the play.

These are the reasons why many people believe he was waived, only the coaches know for sure. But it sure looks like he failed to make the Seahawk's 53 man roster because he did not compete well enough.
Sherman is at the practices and competes against these guys everyday. I,believe there was another current player. Lawyer Milloy chimed in as well. Lol it off all you want its something I personally can't remember ever seeing.

As far as blocking goes, Jimmy Graham remained on the roster for 3 years despite not being able to block.

You actually used a thread on this board as evidence of a fact?

Again, it isn't about what Laden is doing or what anybody thought he was going to do. He was better than Mcevoy and Darboh. I comprehend Darboh.

Its that if competing is the central theme of the program, you didn't stand by it. Its a sign of things being of their axis. The actual cut of Kasen is really no big deal in and of itself.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1d9vs5wu said:
gowazzu02":1d9vs5wu said:
SoulfishHawk":1d9vs5wu said:

But it wasn't the point of the OP.

That point was that PC has ignored his own mantra in terms of competitiveness and the OP believed the Kasen Williams was an early example.

You could certainly take his point and carry it to the current status of the team, including the kicker, OC, DC and Oline coach

To which I say bologna. It's been discussed ad nausea that in fact KW didn't "always compete" Sure he won some nice 50 50 balls in preseason, but what about competing in blocking? Practice? Special teams?

Subzero717

Reaction score
If you watched the preseason games you would've seen him make plenty of ST plays.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Subzero717":2u7budwl said:
If you watched the preseason games you would've seen him make plenty of ST plays.

Nope, not gonna win this one.

Also for the "Pete doesn't believe in always compete" How did you like seeing Alex Collins in Baltimore this year? He got beat out by Chris Carson a 7th round pick, who also won the number 1 job. Just couldn't stay healthy.

There are PLENTY of things to complain about. I refuse to allow it be Kasen Williams and some notion that Pete has given up on his corner stone philosophy.

themunn

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":1lopzqep said:
IMO set this entire season up for failure. Do I think that Kasen Williams is any good? Not really. But it deviated from Pete Caroll's "always compete" mantra.

It was painfully obvious to me that players have begun to not buy into Pete's "philosophy." Pete has been wishy washy on his own philosophy this year.

Mike Davis sitting on the practice squad almost all year after he had a damn good preseason while Lacy and Rawls failed over and over again.

Blair Walsh being handed the job after he missed the game winner in Minnesota without any competition.

Playing musical chairs once again with the OL and Ifedi. You can't tell me that someone didn't compete harder than Ifedi.

Except Chris Carson was our 7th round draft pick named starter this year, so how does that one work?

The NFL is littered with players who've lit up preseason and done nothing. Kasen Williams in his 3rd NFL season managed to put up the 3rd most yards of any WR in the preseason.

But then again, the top 10 all had completely unremarkable seasons. Preseason means jack

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Reading comprehension is good.

Maybe I shouldn't have used Kasen as an example, however, he tore up the preseason. He outperformed everyone who was not a starter. Maybe Kasen would have fit into this system better than anyone else's system.

Should I of used Ifedi as an example?

Maybe Carroll has tried to go the safe route the past couple of years.

He started Russell Wilson as a rookie, a 3rd round pick and took a huge risk based on what he saw out of Wilson.

Blair Walsh didn't have to compete for anything, Lacy got paid to eat and fall down while Davis sat on the practice squad. Did Jimmy Graham really compete? or did he only compete in the redzone? He sure didn't compete at his blocking assignments.

When you don't expect your players or your coaches to compete in all phases of the game, your record gets worse.