Kearly's Random Thoughts

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3buboqts said:
MontanaHawk05":3buboqts said:
You think I don't? My blog got its Google ads removed by people purposely over-clicking them over my criticism of Matt Hasselbeck.

Ah, good times. It's weird that people felt that way.

I've written for four different blogs that I can remember, including yours. That's not counting .net. Those four places combined were not nearly as difficult to write for / endure as this place is. But that's to be expected really. I quit RT in 2013 after 'hanging on' for a couple years. I wanted to quit in 2011 and 2012, but sucked it up a week at a time. It was an endurance contest and finally I just ran out of gas.

I think it was a terrific decision for me personally. I am a little surprised though that nobody else stepped in.
If someone did pick up the challenge, it wouldn't be with your perspective, not everybody can watch the games, and then critique with neutrality... myself included.
Too many want to criticize the poster and not the post when they disagree, and sometimes it just becomes a dog-pile with respect for the fellow 12's on here thrown to the side of the road.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":14cjrldc said:
UK_Seahawk":14cjrldc said:
Slightly off topic but why is it now that when anyone disagrees with the main body of opinion they are seen as a troll. To me shouting troll is just a way of silencing contrary opinion.

I'm not just talking about here but all over the internet. To my mind, although I do think trolling exists, it's more likely to be a sound logical but unpopular opinion or outright stupidity (and all in between) that is actually being said. Why can't people say silly things and it be no more than that, why must these people be seen as trolling?
In a weird way, the Hawks being really good makes discussing them civilly much more difficult.

I think it can be directly attributed to the stress level of watching the team. Watching a 12 or 13 win team that can pretty much punch a ticket to the SB with HFA is super stressful. Likewise, watching a 10-6 team collapse to 4-12 is going to set people off. If Seattle went 7-9 every year like the Rams, after a few years this place would become pretty mellow.

As far as UK_Seahawk's statement, I get what he means (in a general internet sense) and it really bums me out if people are afraid to voice minority opinions.

ImTheScientist":14cjrldc said:
The artist formerly known as Tsizzle likes you as well. I enjoyed your random thoughts and posting in them.

:thirishdrinkers:

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
kearly":1s5cgzln said:
I have said before that if there is ever an 'elevated discourse' sub-forum on this site (not just for me, obviously) - basically an anti-shack type of place - then there is a chance that some day I might reconsider because it is fun doing them, just not worth the constant, unceasing abuse. Which actually isn't that bad in small doses, it just really takes it's toll over years and years, like a bad job.

Several other people have expressed this sort of sentiment, that we should have an "anti-Shack" forum where we can talk about Seahawks topics and not get ourselves all dirty with trolling and bad blood. The Official Net Nation Fan Forum is that forum. This main forum is the place where we talk about Seahawks, and where "shacked" topics and discussion are off limits. Perhaps if we try and remember this as we go into the season, it'll be a place where folks can post their Random Thoughts-style musings and generate great discussion. That's pretty much the purpose of this place, after all.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":2g2ugnr2 said:
I'll go as far as to say that I liked them as much as anybody here. They were special. But that is kind of a bear of a project and to know you HAVE to write one after every game would definitely make it a burden. I'm sure Kip will still have plenty of good stuff to say after all the games, especially the big ones, and he'll probably even author some topics. But he'll do so because he wants to, not because he has to. Sorry if I'm speaking out place.

I'd love to try it, but I need to work on my image first. I don't think too many people are going to seek enlightenment from the guy that thought it was a good idea to take Anthony to war, and drag poor Russell Wilson through the mud in the process.

You have a pretty good grasp of it.

There is an art to posting opinions that people disagree with and still have them enjoy the conversation. I think you have that gift. Some might agree, some might disagree. But I always enjoy reading your stuff, even when I don't agree 100%. In fact, I think you are at your best when everyone is against you, funny enough.

Also, you know a lot more about the nuts and bolts of football than I do. There are very few posters I learn more from than you.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3c9hbi0w said:
kearly":3c9hbi0w said:
I have said before that if there is ever an 'elevated discourse' sub-forum on this site (not just for me, obviously) - basically an anti-shack type of place - then there is a chance that some day I might reconsider because it is fun doing them, just not worth the constant, unceasing abuse. Which actually isn't that bad in small doses, it just really takes it's toll over years and years, like a bad job.

Several other people have expressed this sort of sentiment, that we should have an "anti-Shack" forum where we can talk about Seahawks topics and not get ourselves all dirty with trolling and bad blood. The Official Net Nation Fan Forum is that forum. This main forum is the place where we talk about Seahawks, and where "shacked" topics and discussion are off limits. Perhaps if we try and remember this as we go into the season, it'll be a place where folks can post their Random Thoughts-style musings and generate great discussion. That's pretty much the purpose of this place, after all.

Thank you!

:13:

ivotuk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":20m4eelx said:
hawknation2015":20m4eelx said:
Unfortunately, kearly has shown that he finds it extremely difficult when his "truth" conflicts with someone else's "truth" and is willing to resort to some outlandish tactics to prevent that reoccurrence.
Sorry, but this is a pile of crap. Speaking as one who has disagreed with Kip on numerous occasions, I can tell you firsthand that your statement is not true.

But in the process of disagreeing, many people can't resist the temptation of accompanying the disagreement with some kind of snarky remark or personal insult.

How true. This gets tiring as many posters will try to figure out the best way to be insulting while still remaining inside the rules. "I didn't break the rule about attacking the poster."

One of my personal mottos is "What you believe is only as good as why you believe it." I have strong opinions, but I like to have good reasons for them, and I usually do. But if I disagree with someone like Kip, I'm interested in knowing what are his reasons for believing what he does -- and if his reasons are good (and they usually are), then it compels me to reassess my reasons for believing what I do. The end result may or may not be a change of my opinion, and often we may agree to disagree, but the process is always stimulating and enlightening.

Bravo! I agree with THIS completely! You have to stand for something, and not just agree with what seems to be the most popular opinion, which is weak, but not as bad as those who just go against something for no reason other than that they are unhappy.

Regarding a couple of suggestions in this thread: I like the idea of having an anti-shack forum. I do not like the idea of locking a thread after the first post.

One of the great things about Kip's Random Thoughts (or anyone else's in depth analysis, for that matter) is the discussion that proceeds from it.

Plus One

Preemptively shutting down that discussion, and diverting it to another thread, would make the process of having the discussion much more cumbersome. But in an anti-shack forum, discussion would be free as long as it is civil. I'm assuming civility would be enforced through

permission to enter the forum and/or

Normally I would say that this is done by becoming a member of .NET, but in the particular case of and "anti-SHACK," then similar to the SHACK, users would need permission to enter. This might be difficult to regulate but could be done through a number of ways including post count.

Permission could quickly be removed once a poster receives a warning, not a banning. This way they could still participate in the regular forum, but will have "earned" their way out of what we might term as civilized discussion forum.

That's an inaccurate term though, as the intent is more to keep the discussion from getting out of hand. e.g. to keep it a forum where Mods rarely, if ever need to enforce the rules.

The reason for regulating who gets to participate is to encourage posters to invest their time and energy in to writing. When something is exhausting to begin with, useless attacks on the effort serve no good purpose.

In fact, I would LOVE to see more lengthy posts and breakdowns, from more users because I appreciate the effort put forth and don't place as much value on how knowledgeable a person may be judged to be. There's a lot to be offered by so many people on here, but we don't get the benefit of it because they don't feel confident enough to put their thoughts out there for everyone to shred.

It's hard enough to write something of any length, and it can be exceedingly difficult to defend ones posts.

It's a tough topic though, on one hand, people need to have thick skin, on the other, there's no real benefit to allowing people to senselessly attack a post. It especially peeves me when someone attacks a post, but offers nothing of their own.

Anyway, I've rambled long enough and it's probably a circuitous argument, so I'm out. Besides, my lunch hour is up.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawknight":3lr20d29 said:
I wish he could write his random thoughts on a thread and then just have it read only...lock it from anyones rant and raving.

I do miss them. my 2 cents

There is a ton of stuff I don't see, and also mistakes I make. So having immediate comment feedback is a must. Back in 2011 I'd actually post random thoughts here at .net a few hours before I posted them on 17power because .netters would help me catch mistakes and provide valuable insights.

The comments are THE BEST thing about the RT threads. It's also the worst thing. It's more good than bad, I just lost my ability to put up with the bad anymore.

titan3131

Reaction score
KEARLY! our 19-0 perfect season rides on at least the preseason random thoughts. maybe ride it out and see how it goes. You cant let the terrorists win.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ib9r0ay2 said:

The problem with the main forum is that it is far too often uncivil and nasty. Why do you think all the best posters start disappearing one by one over the years? And a lot of .net's favorite posters have PM'ed me saying every year they are a little closer to leaving.

That doesn't mean that I think the main forum should be hyper policed. I think the main forum is fine for catching a 'wide spectrum' of emotions and personalities and yes, even behaviors. It does however, make it a pretty tough place to be sometimes when you just want to talk football with other interesting people.

That's why I suggested an 'elevated' discourse sub forum for people who want to talk about football without being attacked. It wouldn't replace the main forum, it would compliment it the way that the NFL and Draft forums would.

Thing is, I don't want to sound pushy. It's just something I think would help the site a bit. I've been at .net a long time without it, but I don't think a RT type thread could ever exist for long in the main forum because of the 'shitty job' aspect the main forum creates.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3v1mbgzg said:
Seahawk Sailor":3v1mbgzg said:

The problem with the main forum is that it is far too often uncivil and nasty. Why do you think all the best posters start disappearing one by one over the years? And a lot of .net's favorite posters have PM'ed me saying every year they are a little closer to leaving.

That doesn't mean that I think the main forum should be hyper policed. I think the main forum is fine for catching a 'wide spectrum' of emotions and personalities and yes, even behaviors. It does however, make it a pretty tough place to be sometimes when you just want to talk football with other interesting people.

That's why I suggested an 'elevated' discourse sub forum for people who want to talk about football without being attacked. It wouldn't replace the main forum, it would compliment it the way that the NFL and Draft forums would.

Thing is, I don't want to sound pushy. It's just something I think would help the site a bit. I've been at .net a long time without it, but I don't think a RT type thread could ever exist for long in the main forum because of the 'shitty job' aspect the main forum creates.

So UNCIVIL that people are calling those they disagree with autistic assholes! Who would do such a thing?!

Hope we can laugh about that now. :th2thumbs:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1whny9zh said:
So UNCIVIL that people are calling those they disagree with autistic assholes! Who would do such a thing?!

You've lost any possible high ground here by distorting Kip's words beyond what they were. You were never called an asshole.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":1s7p0duq said:
Seahawk Sailor":1s7p0duq said:

Again this sounds like a place for the elite or that someone feels has the right to be there, or the 1 percent versus the 99 percent. You have great thoughts and ideas, but like anywhere people will disagree agree or offer their own perspective on what you say. Limiting how someone is allwoed to express themselves will kill things faster then almost anything. Those that have the ability to distinguish trolling and hyporbowl should be able to ignore them and focus on the posts that are meaty and have substance anyway. You can shoose what you reply to and who you involve yourself with.

Cartire

Reaction score
I guess im still a tad bit confused since this whole thing started last year. I read almost every RT and I hardly remember any vitriol. I dont remember much trolls either. I remember about 60% of the people saying, "Thanks for the write up, once again, Kearly." Another 30% discussing his observations and maybe the final 10% getting heated (I use that term lightly because what you guys think is heated and trolling seems pretty tame to me).

Kearly, if you dont like to do them anymore, then dont. Its hard work and you put lots of effort into them. I can understand getting tired of it.

But the excuse of the trolls ruining it for you..... I dont know man... This is the internet, you need to be able to block that stuff out. Especially when the majority of your readers were extremely positive and loved your stuff. This is like the 10th thread since you've stopped doing them (which you respond in most of them, so I know youve read them) that has the mass majority of people complimenting you. Seems pretty petty to worry about the rest and blame it on that.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1d4ov7fy said:
hawknation2015":1d4ov7fy said:

You've lost any possible high ground here by distorting Kip's words beyond what they were. You were never called an asshole.

I would rather laugh about it now and move on . . . but yes he certainly did, in addition to disabled.

kearly":1d4ov7fy said:
I figured maybe you have a disability that would prevent you from understanding why this is not normal social behavior. You do this ALL THE TIME to a lot of people not just me. It is a very unique brand of behavior, and at first I just assumed you were the world's biggest asshole because of it.

But whatever, I'm not going to cry about absurdity. The game is almost here. As far as I'm concerned, it's water under the bridge.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I really do miss those threads because I thought kearly had a great knack for elevating everyone's game and getting others (not everyone) to engage their most reasoned thoughts on what they saw. Probably because the effort and insight that went into the OP was clear. The resulting analysis/discussions were great and probably as insightful re: Seahawks football as you could find anywhere else on the internet. Not overly analytical, not overly casual -- it was the best of both worlds. That being said, I always felt that doing it every week must've required a Herculean effort (one, just the grind of getting down cogent and insightful thoughts during the dizzying postgame period; two, dealing with expectations that came with doing it week after week). Although I am sure it's personally rewarding in some regard to create a staple thread like RT, I can see the major benefit of sprinkling the analysis through different threads rather than being front and center every week. I applaud the man for keeping it up as long as he did. (Years? Insane.) With the Search Function and some familiarity with the posters here, I don't feel I'm missing too much, but it was certainly a pleasure to see it concentrated in a single thread for as long as it lasted.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ljilkek said:
hawknation2015":2ljilkek said:

Contending that it's a huge distortion to characterize "At first I just assumed you were the worst biggest asshole" as being called an asshole is a pretty big stretch.

After weighing Kearly's civil history I concluded he was being genuine about the autism angle, but my first reaction was that the suggestion of autism was a very offensive (to me) concern troll. It looks very, very much like that, despite the fact I think it was just a poor, but honest choice to float the idea.

Kearly is a million times the contributor and one ill-conceived question isn't even a blip on his radar, but if HN lost the high ground, it wasn't because he was inventing that he was insulted.

Could very well be there's a history of subtle baiting I'm missing, could be he deserved the insults, I'm just contesting the notion that he wasn't insulted pretty heavily (or appeared to be insulted heavily) in that thread. And yes, he began the snark with the willful ignorance comment.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3iyldexm said:
MontanaHawk05":3iyldexm said:
hawknation2015":3iyldexm said:

He was quite clearly called that, as well as autistic.

Can you link me to that? I might have missed it.

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":3opnotx4 said:
Again this sounds like a place for the elite or that someone feels has the right to be there, or the 1 percent versus the 99 percent. You have great thoughts and ideas, but like anywhere people will disagree agree or offer their own perspective on what you say. Limiting how someone is allwoed to express themselves will kill things faster then almost anything. Those that have the ability to distinguish trolling and hyporbowl should be able to ignore them and focus on the posts that are meaty and have substance anyway. You can shoose what you reply to and who you involve yourself with.

Not elite, just mellow.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3p86f3dt said:
FlyHawksFly":3p86f3dt said:
MontanaHawk05":3p86f3dt said:
hawknation2015":3p86f3dt said:

He was quite clearly called that, as well as autistic.

Can you link me to that? I might have missed it.

I think you must have, search for the quote I cited above.

God, let this be done with by kickoff. :34853_doh:

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":2gsaxpj3 said:
But the excuse of the trolls ruining it for you..... I dont know man... This is the internet, you need to be able to block that stuff out. Especially when the majority of your readers were extremely positive and loved your stuff. This is like the 10th thread since you've stopped doing them (which you respond in most of them, so I know youve read them) that has the mass majority of people complimenting you. Seems pretty petty to worry about the rest and blame it on that.

There was a lot of stuff that happened below the surface and was easy to miss. And honestly, having 4-5 people with an axe to grind against you cancels out 400-500 pieces of praise. For example, lets say you worked at a drive thru at Taco Bell. After your shift was over, would you remember the hundreds of decent people who passed through, or the 4-5 people who were rude? Now repeat this over several years, and it starts to take a toll.

What made it worse was that it wasn't really policed, there's basically a ban-hammer threshold that people will tip-toe up to but not cross, which if done over a long time is really rough. Especially when you spend so much time and energy on the posts.