Keavon Milton starting at Left Guard?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Milton has worked with the starting unit all week, with Alvin Bailey relegated to the second team in the battle to find a replacement for James Carpenter, who signed with the Jets in the offseason.

“You want to find your best five (offensive linemen), and I think (Milton) is starting to work towards that, so we are going to give him the opportunity,” offensive-line coach Tom Cable said this week.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... pth-chart/

_d4s5153.jpg

_d4s5150.jpg

Fitting of a Seahawks offensive lineman, Milton hasn’t been an offensive lineman for very long. He was a tight end for most of his career at Louisiana-Monroe, though he also played defensive end for a season. Milton played tight end at 290 pounds in college, so while he liked the idea of playing that position in the NFL, he realized his future was probably at offensive line. The Browns originally brought him in to play tackle in 2013, but injuries led to a move to guard, and that position stuck.

“From not playing guard at all (it was a transition),” Milton said. “At the end of the day, it’s still about competing and just straining, just grinding through it.”

If Milton does start Friday against Denver, it would be quite a progression considering that he has only taken offensive snaps in one preseason game and no regular season games.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/12 ... ining-camp

PHOENIX — Keavon Milton, maybe the least-known player on Seattle’s active roster for the Super Bowl, wanted to preserve the media day experience forever.

While Marshawn Lynch did the bare minimum in an apparently successful attempt not to get fined, Milton walked around media day with a GoPro camera wrapped around his head.

“Just capturing this so I can go back and look at it tonight,” said Milton, a second-year offensive lineman who was added to the active roster on Dec. 20 but has yet to play in a game. “And after this is all said and done, look at it again and just relive this moment. It’s amazing. I love it. It’s definitely fun.”

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/seahaw ... 28xml.html

Keavon Milton, TE (6-4 1/8, 280 pounds) — Milton recorded a time of 4.96 seconds in the 40-yard dash before suffering a hamstring strain, which prevented him from taking part in the three-cone run. He had a 29½-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-8 broad jump. He is scheduled to work out with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Chicago Bears ahead of the 2013 NFL Draft.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/24/keavon- ... hits-snag/

Milton's 4.96 40 time -- on a run where he hurt his hamstring, no less -- is a pretty good time. He was only 280 lbs at his pro day, but that 40 time would rank 4th among offensive linemen on the roster, behind Sokoli, Sweezy, and Bailey.

He also had a 4.58 short shuttle, another good time for a linemen, tied with Glowinski and only behind Sweezy's 4.45 and Sokoli's relatively freakish 4.36.

But he only put up 18 bench press reps at the time . . . he seems to have gotten stronger and put on about 40 lbs since his pro day.

Also interesting to read the scouting reports on him coming out of college:
Scouts have been telling us all season about Milton and now even more so because they were surprised that he was not invited to any All Star games. No one has been talking about him being a high draft pick or ever making big plays as a receiver, but numerous scouts felt that he has value in the NFL because of his dominant blocking ability. Interestingly, some NFL people believe he is best suited to be a backup tight end who contributes as a blocker and short area receiver. While others feel that he has the size, long arms, athleticism and blocking ability to slide inside and try and develop as an offensive tackle or guard. He may not get any publicity between now and the Draft because he is not going to the Combine and will not "wow" anyone with workout numbers at his pro day. However, I am confident he will be drafted by a team based on the number of scouts that believe so strongly in his potential.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... he-varying

On paper, very similar looking player to Bailey, but hopefully he demonstrates better run blocking ability as the starter on Friday.

kearly

Reaction score
Translation: Alvin Bailey is still in the dog house. Which is kind of surprising to me, given his impressive weight loss this offseason. Once in Tom Cable's dog house, it's tough to get out.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":8u223ujc said:
Translation: Alvin Bailey is still in the dog house. Which is kind of surprising to me, given his impressive weight loss this offseason. Once in Tom Cable's dog house, it's tough to get out.

"In the dog house," except for having received more playing time at that position than any other player on the roster and getting all the first team reps there at the beginning of camp. Ridiculous.

I would not be surprised if he regains the starting position, because he is a good athlete and currently has more experience than anyone else at that spot, but don't think Bailey doesn't have problems with his level of physicality and run blocking.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I'd venture a guess that Bailey might just be one of those guys who brings a lot more aggression and effort in games than he does in practice. And that work style might be okay if you're a proven Superstar, but on the Hawks, Cable and Carroll highly value guys and will play guys more that bring maximum effort in practice everyday. It's part of the reason their practices are shorter, so guys have enough energy to bring good effort throughout the practice. Bailey would probably be a better personality and skillset fit on a different NFL team.

Seafan

Reaction score
kearly":7944d2u9 said:

I doubt Cable has a dog house. If Cable was ever upset at Bailey it would have been last year but he got plenty of run. He came into camp in great shape. Cable will play the best 5 players on the line. I appreciate the fact he is diligent in his search. Milton sounds like a very good athlete in the mold that Cable likes, more of a run blocker than a pass protector. It's way too early to predict who will be starting opening day but if Bailey is the best LG he will be starting.

chris98251

Reaction score
They know what they have in Bailey, this is evaluation time, the back ups and new guys are going to get time working with the first unit to see how things work with established players to better see what they need to work on as well as what they can do. When week 3 comes around I think we see a more solid unit in the first half of where they are really heading.

Latest posts