Keeping Bruce

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Next man up. Js/pc will find somebody to fill his role through the draft. His loss wouldn't be that major as opposed to Wagner imo

themunn

Reaction score
I fully expect Irvin will be a Seahawk next year.

We didn't think they'd have room to keep Kam, ET and Sherm.

We did.

We didn't think they'd be able to keep KJ, Avril and Bennett.

We did.

We didn't think they'd find room for both Russ and Wagner.

We did.

Now you may point to people like Carpenter, Maxwell and Tate as being guys we didn't keep because the offers from elsewhere dwarved their production value, and to the most extent you're correct. From those we have one grossly overpaid lineman we were unlikely to keep anyway, a guy who had a decent few games in 2013 and then a fairly average 2014 as corners go, and 1 mistake we would have kept had we not made a bigger mistake in signing Harvin.

Irvin finished the last 5 or 6 games last year playing every single snap on defense, which to me showed that Pete thinks he's finally becoming the complete player he wanted him to be. I can't see us letting him hit FA.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sweezy and Okung will be in line in front of him now.

Bruce is a guy who will burn a bridge everywhere he goes. Just his nature. I have high hopes for his play this year, but he is already in prove it to 31 other teams mode.

cover-2

Reaction score
I'm all for keeping Irvin, I don't think it would be difficult to re-sign him. We would have to make some difficult decisions, like possibly trade Bennett for a mid-round draft pick, not re-signing Mebane or oft injured Russell Okung.

Another possibility would be to cut KJ Wright ($6.25 million against the cap in 2016). IMO KJ Wright is a good player, not great, and of our starting LB's he would be the one that is the easiest to replace. Wright is the weak-side LB, not Irvin, and our backup LBs we have on the roster are all pretty much weak-side LB (small and fast). The only current players we have on the roster that have enough size and strength to replace Irvin as the strong-side LB are KJ Wright and Cassius Marsh.

AVL

Reaction score
I think Bruce is about to go off the constant drug testing program. Does that increase his value?

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Okung and Sweezy aren't coming back without significantly better seasons.....it's about production and patience and if you prioritized what the team needs, it's still in need of a two way defensive player that can play LB and play DE and get to the QB.

The development of Glowinski and Bailey along with saving money on Unger for Jimmy Graham shows the production factor is more important. I dont see Okung as a make or break player, in fact the offensive line is still not what I would consider a good OLine.

Why invest another 7M in Okung (his cap number this year, when the market will dictate he will command 10 to 11M per season. I am not paying Okung that money.....Mebane comes off the books next year at approximately 4 to 5.5 M.....If Cary Williams doesnt produce at a high level, that's another 7-8M off the books.

That's three known players that can come off the books and doesn't require doing anything with KJ Wright or anyone else (Lynch or Michael Bennett). There will be plenty of room for a Bruce Irvin....what it ultimately means if he gets a 4 year deal to stay, it has to be at a number that is less than Bennett...if he gets something beyond 7M per season, you turn him loose and take the compensatory pick the next year, which will be high since he was a 1st rounder.

endzorn

Reaction score
He's gone. I think he's highly motivated to perform better than he has so far, but that'll be just enough to play his way into a big contact somewhere else. When the pressure is on him to perform up to his contract on a different team I could see him fail.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I think the Wright extension sealed Bruce's fate with the team. I don't they wanted to go into the 2016 season with Wagner and 2 new LBs. Once Wright was signed, I think that pretty much meant Irvin would be gone.

SeaChase

Reaction score
He'll turn 28 this season. Even if he amazes this season he is still most likely gone. He's also the only person to ejected from the SuperBowl...

brimsalabim

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":bri3zkhb said:
Okung and Sweezy aren't coming back without significantly better seasons.....it's about production and patience and if you prioritized what the team needs, it's still in need of a two way defensive player that can play LB and play DE and get to the QB.

The development of Glowinski and Bailey along with saving money on Unger for Jimmy Graham shows the production factor is more important. I dont see Okung as a make or break player, in fact the offensive line is still not what I would consider a good OLine.

Why invest another 7M in Okung (his cap number this year, when the market will dictate he will command 10 to 11M per season. I am not paying Okung that money.....Mebane comes off the books next year at approximately 4 to 5.5 M.....If Cary Williams doesnt produce at a high level, that's another 7-8M off the books.

That's three known players that can come off the books and doesn't require doing anything with KJ Wright or anyone else (Lynch or Michael Bennett). There will be plenty of room for a Bruce Irvin....what it ultimately means if he gets a 4 year deal to stay, it has to be at a number that is less than Bennett...if he gets something beyond 7M per season, you turn him loose and take the compensatory pick the next year, which will be high since he was a 1st rounder.

Jersey why do you think Sweezy isn't performing up to expectations? All I ever read are raves about him.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Who stays and who goes is the front office's to deal with. I'm just ecstatic that we in the Northwest get to enjoy this current group of enviable players. Which includes, among many things, watching Bruce wreak all havoc for 19 games this upcoming 14-2 season.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if Irvin is gone before the end of training camp...
He's a malcontent, always stirring the pot, and always says the wrong thing.
Most un-professional player on the team.

seahawks08

Reaction score
If PC feels he will give us a competitive edge to winning, he will be signed. Compete, skills, talent and wingspan. I think he will be a Seahawk or traded to Atlanta at some point.

netskier

Reaction score
I think we retain him if he plays well, which I expect, and if he decreases his boneheadedness, which I don't.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Bruce will probably play this season like he SHOULD have been playing all along and then after he gets paid, he'll go back to being just another guy. That is what I expect. He just seems like "that guy".

CPHawk

Reaction score
Bruce isn't worth braking the bank for. He's a nice a player, but nothing special.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
themunn":1536ezrb said:
I fully expect Irvin will be a Seahawk next year.

We didn't think they'd have room to keep Kam, ET and Sherm.

We did.

We didn't think they'd be able to keep KJ, Avril and Bennett.

We did.

We didn't think they'd find room for both Russ and Wagner.

We did.

Now you may point to people like Carpenter, Maxwell and Tate as being guys we didn't keep because the offers from elsewhere dwarved their production value, and to the most extent you're correct. From those we have one grossly overpaid lineman we were unlikely to keep anyway, a guy who had a decent few games in 2013 and then a fairly average 2014 as corners go, and 1 mistake we would have kept had we not made a bigger mistake in signing Harvin.

Irvin finished the last 5 or 6 games last year playing every single snap on defense, which to me showed that Pete thinks he's finally becoming the complete player he wanted him to be. I can't see us letting him hit FA.

Bruce is 100% gone at the end of the year, you can take that to the bank.

Sealake80

Reaction score
There have been so many judgmental comments on here about players who want money. It's the most violent sport. Why begrudge pro athletes for wanting as much pie as they can eat. Especially football. Get as much cash as you can Seahawks. Win forever. You earn it.

Latest posts