Keeping Bruce

Exittium

Reaction score
Bruce is gone, he already stated he wants to be with Quinn and Atl. I have no doubt he'll play balls out this year just so he's kept on Quinn's radar. He'll get his payday then slip back into the dark, while posting stupid crap on twitter.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1p4km3mv said:
irvin will be gone and hopefully offside master bennett right behind him...
Irvine didn't help his status by tweeting stupid stuff, He and Bennett had better hope they can kill it this Season if they want that Super Payday they're seeking, I don't doubt that either of them are under any illusions that they will be with the Seahawks by this time next Year, and if you want the loot, you got to show that you're worth your asking price.

chris98251

Reaction score
Players with a chip on their shoulder is fine if they use it to motivate and not destroy a team, he wants a payday go get it, Bennett has been paid, he can complain but he comes in and is a professional on the field, I hope Kam takes the same approach, based on his history I don't see him being disruptive.

Mick063

Reaction score
You have to think in terms of value. Bang for the buck.

Yes....Irvin is a good player.

No...Irvin is not an elite player

The question is if he plays up to his salary. I don't think he does.

"Core" players meet or exceed their contract value on and off the field.

I think Irvin is going to find another team that will pay him more than JS is willing to pay. He never did play at the same LEO level that Clemmons did and he is overpaid for the linebacker slot he dabbled in.

Irvin is a goner.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mick063":1ddjld4a said:
You have to think in terms of value. Bang for the buck.

Yes....Irvin is a good player.

No...Irvin is not an elite player

The question is if he plays up to his salary. I don't think he does.

"Core" players meet or exceed their contract value on and off the field.

I think Irvin is going to find another team that will pay him more than JS is willing to pay. He never did play at the same LEO level that Clemmons did and he is overpaid for the linebacker slot he dabbled in.

Irvin is a goner.
Pretty much my thoughts on BI.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Nobody worries me more on this team than Bruce. The way he runs his twitter mouth seems destined for a wreck. Hope I'm wrong. Not quite on the ball enough to be considered long range Seahawk material. I Hope for the best but don't see him getting rewarded with a second contract

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He's an all-around great player. Sets the edge as well as anyone we have ever had, rushes the passer, drops in coverage, intercepts the ball, plays the run . . . he does it all. I wish we had a better chance at keeping him. Just enjoy him while he's still here, because he's due for a career year.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2ue673qh said:
He's an all-around great player. Sets the edge as well as anyone we have ever had, rushes the passer, drops in coverage, intercepts the ball, plays the run . . . he does it all. I wish we had a better chance at keeping him. Just enjoy him while he's still here, because he's due for a career year.

Good call to enjoy him while we can. My favorite Bruce game was the Green Bay game in 2011? I hope your right about career year.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sterlinghawk":vipy7ill said:
hawknation2015":vipy7ill said:

Good call to enjoy him while we can. My favorite Bruce game was the Green Bay game in 2011? I hope your right about career year.

I expect it. He has improved every year in all phases of his game. Last year, he became more explosive in attacking the ball carrier and improved in coverage. But he was taken off the field quite a lot on 3rd downs, as Schofield played LEO in the nickel defense. He only ended up playing about 70% of the total snaps, compared to 73% for Avril, 85% for Bennett, and 94% for Wright. Pete was saying after the 3rd practice that he had Irvin playing outside in the nickel front, which should greatly increase his opportunities to rush the passer.

He's in incredible shape, adding a lot of good weight to his frame while maintaining his speed. I expect him to have one hell of a year.

You mean the 2012 Green Bay game. The pressure and the two sacks he had on Rodgers in that game were huge. His back-to-back sacks against Carolina last season were also huge.

Taehwk

Reaction score
what are the advantages and disadvantages of using the transition tag on him?

themunn

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2kqtfxi9 said:

Absolutely agreed. Irvin didn't start playing every snap until the Arizona game.
His stats as an OLB over the last 9 games of the year (including playoffs):

9 games
25 tackles
5.5 sacks
1 interception
And all this in major games where we needed to fire off 6 in a row to get HFA, and 3 playoff games - no stat padding here.

If that could be extropolated to a 16 game season, you're looking at 44 tackles, 10 sacks and 2 ints.

That's about as good as it gets from a 4-3 OLB, in a defense where runners are funnelled towards KJ, Kam and Wagner for tackles.

I expect it. He has improved every year in all phases of his game. Last year, he became more explosive in attacking the ball carrier and improved in coverage. But he was taken off the field quite a lot on 3rd downs, as Schofield played LEO in the nickel defense. He only ended up playing about 70% of the total snaps, compared to 73% for Avril, 85% for Bennett, and 94% for Wright. Pete was saying after the 3rd practice that he had Irvin playing outside in the nickel front, which should greatly increase his opportunities to rush the passer.

That appears to be pretty much spot on - by the time we reached the Arizona game Bruce was playing pretty much every snap, and the only games he wasn't playing all but 3-4 snaps were against Eagles, Green Bay and NE - teams well known for going out with multiple WRs on a regular basis. If Irvin gets the opportunity to rush the passer on those downs he'll pretty much have no reason to ever come off the field except maybe to catch his breath.

Seahawks vs Arizona - Bruce 54 (every snap)
Seahawks @ Niners - Bruce 58 (every snap)
Seahawks @ Eagles - Bruce 30 (way down, max 46 for the DBs)
Seahawks v Niners - Bruce 58 (every snap)
Seahawks @ Arizona - Bruce 58 (Kam max with 62)
Seahawks Rams - Bruce 54 (max 62)
Seahawks Carolina - Bruce 65 (max 69)
Seahawks Packers - Bruce 55 (max 69)
Superbowl - Bruce 62 (max 74)

It's fairly obvious that the

Appleegg1

Reaction score
Don't get suspended, don't say and do ignorant stuff, and perhaps live up to your draft pick....and you might have been around longer.

Come on, everyone knew he wasn't gonna get his option picked up. And now he will show his true colors, and regress back to who he was before the Hawks took a chance on him.

Sure, he will work his as off and get paid somewhere. But I could see him blowing all his cash, his career, and ending broke in 5 years.

On the other hand- outplay your 2nd rd pick, work hard, be a good citizen off the field, make all pro and you get an extension and be a hawk for life. BWAGZ ballin!!!!!

nash72

Reaction score
I always thought he was a reach and never all that great. I wont miss him.

Appleegg1

Reaction score
Physical freak, mental midget- in the classical sense.

Big mouth dunce.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Guys like Bruce, Browner, Maxwell, McDaniel, Bryant, Tate, Carpenter, etc. are the price for locking up your core guys. Once you've got your rocks in place (and the Hawks definitely do) it's why drafting becomes important to maintain long-term success.

While the Seahawks can't really afford to keep these types of non-essential starting pieces anyway, it becomes even more impossible because of the Seahawks success, which causes other teams to overpay for these types of guys (Tate excluded; he's always been a beast and was just trapped in a run-first offense).

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":w4t8af85 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":w4t8af85 said:
Appleegg1":w4t8af85 said:
Physical freak, mental midget- in the classical sense.

Big mouth dunce.

Do you consider talking about things without having all, or correct information, being a, "big mouth dunce?"

Because...

On the other hand- outplay your 2nd rd pick

You actually missed who he was referring to: Bobby Wagner.

Indeed. It just didn't read well to me. A side effect of being woken up two hours before normal.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
We knew (or should have known) that the day was coming when the Hawks really do have to decide who to keep and who to let go.

Out of all the starters on our defense Irvin is the easiest to replace as he really isnt special and he plays LB. At least Wagner is elite and he's a hell of a lot smarter than Irvin will ever be at diagnosing plays. Keeping wagner was a legit priority even though I think we overpaid to keep him.

Irvin is one of those players that once they are gone you realize just how much you DONT miss him. Hes become a decent player, but he is anything but pivotal.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1crx6cin said:
Guys like Bruce, Browner, Maxwell, McDaniel, Bryant, Tate, Carpenter, etc. are the price for locking up your core guys. Once you've got your place (and the Hawks definitely do) it's why drafting becomes important to maintain long-term success.

While the Seahawks can't really afford to keep these types of non-essential starting pieces anyway, it becomes even more impossible because of the Seahawks success, which causes other teams to overpay for these types of guys (Tate excluded; he's always been a beast and was just trapped in a run-first offense).

Very true.

We were able to live off some good/great drafts but those guys are now making tons of money or are in line for significant raises. Now the draft is about trying to get replacements for the non-core guys.

Even mediocre players get BIG raises after their rookie deal runs out. The Hawks continued success depends on them being able to replace their mediocre-to-good players who simply cannot be taking up a lot of cap space, even with the cap going up.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yep. They've already done the most important part -- identifying and locking up their core guys -- which is absolutely nothing to sniff at, although in the grand scheme of things once you've got the talent on the roster (no small feat at all) that's the easier part to do. Luckily for them, they're young enough and talented enough through their core that they don't need to draft exceptionally, they just need to draft well.