Keeping Bruce

Hawks46

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2a4d7onj said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/627699864554450944[/tweet]

This is the one reason I won't be sorry to see him go. I liked Irvin as a player, and I think he's on the verge of becoming elite.

Problem is, he can't shut up about it. We know, we know, you want more money. Stop begging about it on social media and show something on the field. We just don't need this on our team with too many other guys complaining about money right after they sign contracts.

On a side note, if he balls out and earns a big payday, we've gotten good value out of him and our defense will likely be better than last year's.

rideaducati

Reaction score
If he does really well this year, maybe they would trade KJ and re-sign Bruce. KJ has KPL behind him. I could see something like this happen.

Is anyone else wondering when we'll see Schneider get a top pick for trading a player?

chris98251

Reaction score
The Good, he will play lights out for a contract this year

The Good he plays a position that we can draft and fill more easliy at LB or Tweener or DE then others such as a true NT, Shutdown CB, QB, LT, #1 WR.

The bad, resigning him since he was a 1st rounder can be more expensive then he is worth, he isn't bad just not feasable to sign a guy for more money then a core player.

The Bad, his attitude, if he plays for the money and is driven great, if he wants to be disruptive then it can create a Percy type Problem.

The Good, we didn't pick up his 5th year option, it gives us room with nothing commited on the books, doesn't mean that we can't negotiate a contract that will be a different cap hit.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
By the time free agency hits, Seahawk fans will probably be hoping he stays in Seattle.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2hm23my1 said:
By the time free agency hits, Seahawk fans will probably be hoping he stays in Seattle.

I already am, but I also know it's going to be very difficult to find room for all the players becoming FAs after this season:
Okung - UFA
Sweezy - UFA
Bailey - RFA
Jeanpierre - UFA
Irvin - UFA
Lane - UFA
Blackmon - UFA
Burley - ERFA
Mebane - UFA
Rubin - UFA
Dobbs - UFA
Scruggs - UFA
Morgan - UFA
Shead - UFA
Terrell - ERFA
Kearse - UFA
Lockette - UFA
Matthews - ERFA
Turbin - UFA
Coleman - RFA
Tukuafu - UFA
Helfet - RFA
Ryan - UFA
Jackson - UFA

That's quite a list of players, and there's not going to be that much cap space available . . . maybe $15 million? As ERFAs, Matthews, Burley, and Terrell are all valuable, because their salaries will stay low next year. Everyone else on this list would have to be paid more than they are making this year in order to be re-signed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
themunn":2bdmahez said:
I fully expect Irvin will be a Seahawk next year.

We didn't think they'd have room to keep Kam, ET and Sherm.

We did.

We didn't think they'd be able to keep KJ, Avril and Bennett.

We did.

We didn't think they'd find room for both Russ and Wagner.

We did.

Now you may point to people like Carpenter, Maxwell and Tate as being guys we didn't keep because the offers from elsewhere dwarved their production value, and to the most extent you're correct. From those we have one grossly overpaid lineman we were unlikely to keep anyway, a guy who had a decent few games in 2013 and then a fairly average 2014 as corners go, and 1 mistake we would have kept had we not made a bigger mistake in signing Harvin.

Irvin finished the last 5 or 6 games last year playing every single snap on defense, which to me showed that Pete thinks he's finally becoming the complete player he wanted him to be. I can't see us letting him hit FA.
You know of course RW's mega deal changes things a lot $ wise.Expect more cuts and trades from here on out.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Bruce has been doing some re-tweeting...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IanFurnessSea/status/628313064392167424[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chucksmithnfl/status/628314434637836288[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheGeeScott/status/628314644944392192[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
If you look at the 32 players drafted in round one of 2012 and ranked them, Irvin would be in the top 15 easily. He may not be the smartest guy ever, but he's definitely lived up to his draft position.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":12cq24op said:
If you look at the 32 players drafted in round one of 2012 and ranked them, Irvin would be in the top 15 easily. He may not be the smartest guy ever, but he's definitely lived up to his draft position.

Even Top 10 maybe, and IMO Irvin is just a slightly above average starter.

There was just a ton of misses in that first round: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds/_/year/2012

Throwdown

Reaction score
I really hate a lot of you. It's like you just hate a guy just to hate him and I really don't see why. We've never heard of him causing issues in the locker room, but yet some still think he's an issue.

A few mistakes and he's automatically a dumb ass.

Does what he's asked but he's replaceable? Are we sure we got another guy that can do what Bruce does? KPL is cool, but I haven't seen anything to make me think he can do what Irvin brings.

I don't understand the hate and belittling some of you do for him. We'll miss Bruce if he goes, mark it down that I said this.

McGruff

Reaction score
Throwdown":209i40rn said:
I really hate a lot of you. It's like you just hate a guy just to hate him and I really don't see why. We've never heard of him causing issues in the locker room, but yet some still think he's an issue.

A few mistakes and he's automatically a dumb ass.

Does what he's asked but he's replaceable? Are we sure we got another guy that can do what Bruce does? KPL is cool, but I haven't seen anything to make me think he can do what Irvin brings.

I don't understand the hate and belittling some of you do for him. We'll miss Bruce if he goes, mark it down that I said this.

I agree with all of this, and I really wish we didn't sign KJ to that monster contract. That is the one I don't understand.

But Irvin's public persona is a coaching and PR nightmare. We can't imagine how many times Bruce has been sitting in Petes office trying to figure out how to spin some idiot remark a positive direction.

That being said, the biggest issue comes down to cap space, and a team this talented only has room for 10 to 12 big contracts, and we've got 11 this year. That puts Bruce on the bubble with Okung, Sweezy and Bane coming up as well next off season.

McGruff

Reaction score
I will say this regarding contracts, cap space and our top 11 contracts . . . Three of those are up in the air next season and what we do with Bruce will hinge on those three.

Will Okung be re-signed?
Will Marshawn retire?
Is Cary Williams a one year rent a player (as his contract suggests)?

Donn2390

Reaction score
Sealake80":3dmdgng7 said:
There have been so many judgmental comments on here about players who want money. It's the most violent sport. Why begrudge pro athletes for wanting as much pie as they can eat. Especially football. Get as much cash as you can Seahawks. Win forever. You earn it.
I don't think anyone begrudges a player for wanting more money, but some do it with class, some, Irvin, do it with a big mouth. He makes it very difficult to like him because he can't keep his big, immature, mouth shut..
Believe me, the FO see his posts and takes them into account when decisions are made.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I honestly don't see any way Bruce is here next year unless there's a major career threatening injury to Bennett or Avril AND Bruce has a big year...........just not enough cap space to pay another D-Lineman 6-8M + a year.

He's got enough talent and production to get paid elsewhere though, I just don't see how it'll be here.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3eq7wox2 said:
Sports Hernia":3eq7wox2 said:
I think Bruce is gone after this year. ....which I think equates to him having a great year this year. He will get paid next year, I just don't think it will be by Seattle.... And if KPL can stay healthy, look out!
Bingo. This one is the first that will hurt. But that's how it rolls.

Basically Wagner and Wilson are elite and have proven it at the highest levels possible. Irvin? Yeah.

Losing Golden Tate hurt pretty bad . especially since it was because we paid Harvin .

Losing Brandon Browner sucked as well .

The loss of Bruce will suck but at least we all see it coming. No chance he is a Seahawk in 2016 , that is if of course he plays like we all expect him too . BRUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCEEEEEE

Basis4day

Reaction score
Scottemojo":urfnz5c3 said:

And complain if he signs for more money elsewhere.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Bruce will be gone after this season. Lets just hope he has a monster year and helps the team get to one more Superbowl this season.

edogg23

Reaction score
Bruce has to go after this year. In order to stay on top you have to
1. Keep your elite talent
2. Draft well and avoid signing too many free agents which remove your comp picks and
3. Let your non-elite players go after their first contract and collect comp picks for them.
4. Repeat the cycle as long as you can.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't mind him being moderately annoying off the field, and the Atlanta stuff bothers me none.

I just don't see nearly enough from him on the field. Where he plays in our scheme, he should have opportunity to make play after play after play, and he rarely makes impact plays. He makes some, but not many, and not nearly enough to get paid as one of the better LB's. He's probably out of place and should be a pure 3-4 OLB, but the position he plays is close enough to being that, that he should stand out more. For every freakishly athletic play he makes, there is a half where he completely vanishes. That should almost never happen to the strongside LB in our defense.

Latest posts