LaMichael James injured

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Oh, I never said or meant to imply it was the only thing. It was a big part of the time he missed in Minnesota, though; until his doc found something that got rid of them and he hasn't had one in what, three years now?

We'll see how healthy he stays this year. For your sake, Marvin, you better hope he doesn't stay healthy... :)

I also have no problem with an elite player wanting off a team that perennially sucks. I don't like it when players do that with the team that just drafted them, like Elway & Eli did, but after they've actually played a year or two is a different story.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1has7fnb said:
Oh, I never said or meant to imply it was the only thing. It was a big part of the time he missed in Minnesota, though; until his doc found something that got rid of them and he hasn't had one in what, three years now?

We'll see how healthy he stays this year. For your sake, Marvin, you better hope he doesn't stay healthy... :)

I also have no problem with an elite player wanting off a team that perennially sucks. I don't like it when players do that with the team that just drafted them, like Elway & Eli did, but after they've actually played a year or two is a different story.

LOL.

I think he, Tavon Austin, and Victor Cruz are the reasons the 49ers drafted Jimmie Ward to play the slot. Smaller, faster guy to hopefully match up.

No doubt tho...when Percy is healthy...he's a force to be dealt with.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":167znvst said:
LOL.

I think he, Tavon Austin, and Victor Cruz are the reasons the 49ers drafted Jimmie Ward to play the slot. Smaller, faster guy to hopefully match up.

Indeed. It would be foolish to think that Harvin is just going to automatically miss a bunch of games, he might not miss any and he could miss 8. Either way, when he is on the field he is automatic trouble for any defense, including the Niners (who managed to not play against him in 2013) The other assumption that opposing fans share is that one simply has to head hunt like NOLA did. Effective against the unprepared but Percy actually handles impact quite well for the kind of contact he makes when he is in game shape.

The guy is a serious scoring threat every time he has the ball and this season he will have a rapport with Wilson as a receiver.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Marvin49":1hgtd2hk said:
RolandDeschain":1hgtd2hk said:

LOL.

Webzone had a lengthy thread when Harvin was available. A lot of people chose diff sides. I think you will get a different answer from each fan but I didn't see him worth the risk when we already had a depleted WR core. I wanted Sanders or Gordon if the price was right. In hind sight I am glad Gordon didn't come to San Fran or it would have been another distraction and one less WR on the field for this year. I have no regrets at this point with us taking Boldin.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Marvin49":50385ai0 said:
RolandDeschain":50385ai0 said:

LOL.

Webzone had a lengthy thread when Harvin was available. A lot of people chose diff sides. I think you will get a different answer from each fan but I didn't see him worth the risk when we already had a depleted WR core. I wanted Sanders or Gordon if the price was right. In hind sight I am glad Gordon didn't come to San Fran or it would have been another distraction and one less WR on the field for this year. I have no regrets at this point with us taking Boldin.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":39k5oncl said:
Marvin49":39k5oncl said:
LOL.

Indeed. It would be foolish to think that Harvin is just going to automatically miss a bunch of games, he might not miss any and he could miss 8. Either way, when he is on the field he is automatic trouble for any defense, including the Niners (who managed to not play against him in 2013) The other assumption that opposing fans share is that one simply has to head hunt like NOLA did. Effective against the unprepared but Percy actually handles impact quite well for the kind of contact he makes when he is in game shape.

The guy is a serious scoring threat every time he has the ball and this season he will have a rapport with Wilson as a receiver.

LOL...sorry...when I read that I just remembered a quote from Richard Sherman about Percy in Harvins Top 100 profile last year...

It was about a collision then had on the sideline and Percy acted like he had just punked Sherman.

Sherman said "I don't know if I won but I certainly didn't lose!".

One of the few times I've enjoyed something he said. :D

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APDSnAGf4wA

2:05

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I get bad headaches sometimes because of my sleep apnea, which I am going to get surgery for soon. I didn't even know skinny dudes really got sleep apnea (I thought it was more of an issue that came along with obesity).

Anyway, Harvin had the same issue because of sleep apnea that was apparently worse than mine, and it went away after he got surgery for it. It's a real thing that happens; I know people talk about his migraine issues with skepticism.

As long as his ankle and hip are fine, he will be fine. Even if he doesn't touch the ball as much, his ability to be a decoy will open up the passing game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":27x73o6a said:
Quick, without Googling, what was the issue plaguing Percy his entire life that was permanently fixed/resolved about a year before he was traded to us? There is a point to me asking, which we'll get to after you respond.

From the first part of the sentence I thought the answer was going to be "fighting with his coaches," but that definitely didn't happen a year before he was traded to you. ;)

In any case: Ankles, hip, knee, shoulders, elbow,the flu, etc. Heck, he was sitting out multiple games with sinus infections while at Florida.

And he got the migraines dealt with in 2011, and has played 10 games in the past two years. Even for the 40 odd snaps (or whatever) he played last year he pulled himself (or was pulled out) at least twice.

If you want to say it's just migraines, I don't know what tell ya.

Don't get me wrong, when he's actually playing he's a heck of a player and I thought it was a great signing when the Hawks made it and certainly think it can still pan out, but to pretend that his issue has ever just been migraines is simply false. The complaint from Vikes fans (and why they were fine with him getting top dollar from someone else) was that with Percy it's always SOMETHING. Migraines were one of many "somethings" they were referring to, but far from the only thing or major thing.

Edit: And just to say it, I hope he's never injured again. He's a ton of fun to watch. In his nine years of college and pro ball however that has yet to happen.*

(He did play a full season once, in 2011, but was pulling himself in and out through a bunch of games and was questionable all the time, per usual).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I didn't say just migraines, as I already said. In his NFL history it's a fair part of what has factored into his game day attendance, though. Also, Marshawn Lynch is listed not practicing practically every week all season long every year due to his back, lol.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1333t4ss said:
I didn't say just migraines, as I already said. In his NFL history it's a fair part of what has factored into his game day attendance, though. Also, Marshawn Lynch is listed not practicing practically every week all season long every year due to his back, lol.

Just a general question about Marshawn...

...do you guys ever worry that he's gonna have a short career just because of that running style? It seems guys who run like that don't last all that long.

Don't get me wrong...I think he's the best in the NFL not named Adrian Peterson right now, but the way he runs through contact....just seems its gonna catch up with him someday.

He reminds me a bit of Marion Barber (tho much, much better) in that he was just a Barbarian....and then he was nothing overnight.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin, I'm already assuming Lynch has a short career because of his running style. Definitely. If not, I'll be surprised and impressed. He's so incredibly physical that it seems inevitable, though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3jutd9xy said:
Marvin, I'm already assuming Lynch has a short career because of his running style. Definitely. If not, I'll be surprised and impressed. He's so incredibly physical that it seems inevitable, though.

That's what I'm saying. He seems almost superhuman at times. I think he's gonna hit a wall one of these days and the decline will be sharp. The question is just how long will it take. He may know it too...might be the reason he's talked about retiring.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
8 years Marvin. Lynch has already had a long NFL career for a back.

Sac

Reaction score
I think his running style may actually increase his longevity. Tacklers don't try to blow lynch up, ever, because they're afraid of getting poster-ized.

Tiny DBs either try wimpy arm tackles and get shrugged off or Lynch gets gang tackled fundamentally. But you never see Lynch take a big hit.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
In the NFL he has missed more games per year since he fixed the migraines than he did before he fixed them. And he's still pulling himself in and out as much as ever. They were certainly a thing on what has continued so far to be a long list of things, but singling them out as the focal point for a bizarre rhetorical pop-quiz is simply avoiding the forest for the trees, IMO

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
See whatever you want to see, Popeye. When you guys get friggin' roasted by the Seahawks this year with a healthy Percy, don't cry on our forum.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":i4eucyec said:
See whatever you want to see, Popeye. When you guys get friggin' roasted by the Seahawks this year with a healthy Percy, don't cry on our forum.

Oh, c'mon. :)

As I already said I'm rooting for the guy, and I was here to congratulate you guys as soon as the NFCC ended, and was rooting for you in the SB. You've got the wrong person. ;)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":36wwzbqh said:
I respect the mans skills but he is a glass cannon in a division that prides itself on laying the wood. I want someone that can take the tops off defenses for us but he is too injury prone in my book to be worth the price tag he commands for the Niners.

Harvin is not as much of an injury proned player as many people would like to believe.

Migraines were due to Sleep Apnea (although I've heard Gluten Intoleracy as well)
The Hip Drama Pre-Dated the NFL
His Ankle Injury in 2012 was something he could have came back from after 4 games but he was I.R.'d on a power move by the head coach.

Other than those 3 things, I don't think Percy as missed actual games for anything else.

I've also done a comparison with Tate and Harvin, Tate around here his considered epitome of toughness missing 1 start in his career. I'll let you look at data for yourself:

Percy Harvin
55 Games, 43 Starts
281 Catches, 3319 Yards, 20 TDs
107 Rushes, 683 Yards, 4 TDs
115 Returns, 3241 Yards, 5 TDs

For A Total Of:
503 Touches, 7243 Yards, 29 TDs

Golden Tate
58 Games, 33 Starts
165 Catches, 2195 Yards, 15 TDs
13 Rushes, 39 Yards
72 Returns, 854 Yards

For A Total Of:
250 Touches, 3118 Yards, 15 TDs

So, in about the same amount of games played Harvin as x2 amount of touches, over x2 the amount of yardage, and almost x2 amount of TDs. But x2 the amount of touches, 503 to be exact, thats 503 times putting wear and tear on the body as well as 503 times being exposed to be being tackled and hit. And 503 touches doesn't even include Total Number of Snaps where Harvin could have been a target or a blocker.

And we are honestly talking about out of 503 touches that one ankle injury suffered against the most physical defense in the game (the Seahawks), against the most physical CB in the game (Browner), is the most significant injury Harvin has suffered ON THE FIELD.

But the truth is Harvin has only played 3 games in what will be in a 20 month span. His hip surgery shouldn't be a lingering issue. Harvin has never felt better, his body is fresh, his mind is fresh, he loves his QB, he loves his team and how committed it is to winning, and he's getting well paid to produce like the MVP calibur player he is.

The malcontent he was known as in Minnesota doesn't exist in Seattle. All this time before Harvin was like Super Mario on Fire Power, now that he's had a year and half to get his body right, his mind is in a healthy place free from destractions whether personal, team or money issues and he can just focus on football, its like Harvin will be on permanent Star Power.

And the only way you can take him out is with a dirty hit and that usually will take 2 or 3 times to succeed.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":ywdu3p3u said:
Sports Hernia":ywdu3p3u said:
RolandDeschain":ywdu3p3u said:
Niners fans need to stop with the Brees thing. Quarterbacks are protected in this league, particularly the elite ones. You can't clothesline 'em, lol. Penalties aren't just for what is actually done on the field, flags also get thrown for what things look like. Hence, why three flags were thrown despite a perfect textbook tackle by Kam Chancellor against Vernon Davis.

If you don't want a game being decided by one play or one flag...Play better.
Well if the NinaTrolls get to bring up Brees, then I can bring up all of the obvious late hits by Bowman and Alldumb on Wilson that were not called in the 3 meetings plus the kicked fumble and Lane getting clotheslined by an whiner assistant coach on a live play........

Then I will bring up Andy Lees planted leg that got hit and should have resulted in a first down. Just remember this is Rolands game, I am simply playing along :).

The reason why it wasn't called is because the Ref was probably a physics majore and understood that Maragos made an actual and real attempt to impede all his momentum, bounced off the ground, while Lee simultaneous stepped into him.

Nah, it probably was because Lee flopped like a little bitch and oversold it.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":odb9fysy said:
Sourdough #49":odb9fysy said:
Sports Hernia":odb9fysy said:
RolandDeschain":odb9fysy said:
Niners fans need to stop with the Brees thing. Quarterbacks are protected in this league, particularly the elite ones. You can't clothesline 'em, lol. Penalties aren't just for what is actually done on the field, flags also get thrown for what things look like. Hence, why three flags were thrown despite a perfect textbook tackle by Kam Chancellor against Vernon Davis.

If you don't want a game being decided by one play or one flag...Play better.
Well if the NinaTrolls get to bring up Brees, then I can bring up all of the obvious late hits by Bowman and Alldumb on Wilson that were not called in the 3 meetings plus the kicked fumble and Lane getting clotheslined by an whiner assistant coach on a live play........

Then I will bring up Andy Lees planted leg that got hit and should have resulted in a first down. Just remember this is Rolands game, I am simply playing along :).

The reason why it wasn't called is because the Ref was probably a physics majore and understood that Maragos made an actual and real attempt to impede all his momentum, bounced off the ground, while Lee simultaneous stepped into him.

Nah, it probably was because Lee flopped like a little bitch and oversold it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... -penalties

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ped-49ers/

Anyway game is over. I am over it. Bad calls on both sides. I would just think in 2014 they could work a better officiating system. This is a start

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... d/#!bppJYC