Las Vegas Raiders???

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
DHawk":2sjw26x3 said:
Well the plus side will be when its Seattle @ Las Vegas, its only 4ish hours from me! And the in-laws live there! Free stay! Yesssss!

The negative side, that won't happen in a regular season game until 2026.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3tn1zuj2 said:
DHawk":3tn1zuj2 said:
Well the plus side will be when its Seattle @ Las Vegas, its only 4ish hours from me! And the in-laws live there! Free stay! Yesssss!

Holy crap. That sucks.

DHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2h1h6ogj said:
DHawk":2h1h6ogj said:

Well shit.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hate this move, because now Las Vegas is even more of a temptation for me to visit once every year or two. As if it wasn't already.

Sigh.

(In all seriousness, I think putting a team in Vegas is simply appropriate; more so than having two in the Bay area.)

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":qlxs1qn4 said:
I hate this move, because now Las Vegas is even more of a temptation for me to visit once every year or two. As if it wasn't already.

Sigh.

(In all seriousness, I think putting a team in Vegas is simply appropriate; more so than having two in the Bay area.)

Well at least the NFL will be close to the guys that set the lines and can feed the Referees information quicker.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkGA":6i87vwn7 said:
Hasselbeck":6i87vwn7 said:
DHawk":6i87vwn7 said:

Holy crap. That sucks.

Yep. We play there in 2018. They play in Seattle in 2022. Then it rotates back to Oakland/Las Vegas in 2026.

RedAlice

Reaction score
San Diego an option for the Raiders?

If Raiders bust in Vegas, San Diego remains option

Acknowledging that the chance the Raiders veer from their Las Vegas plan, San Diego can still make contingency plans and align its efforts.

In fact, city officials are intrigued enough by the possibility of becoming an NFL town again sooner than later that sources said at least two people at city hall plan to reach out to NFL officials, one to the Raiders and the other to the NFL, in the wake of news about the Raiders’ Las Vegas bid being imperiled.

Questions about whether San Diego should or could provide a landing spot for a disenfranchised franchise aside, it should be noted that the city’s foray into the other football could actually be a boon to such a quest.

Certainly, interest in bringing the Raiders or any NFL team to San Diego is no reason to pump the brakes on the process of vetting the group of investors seeking to land an MLS expansion franchise for the city.

An effort to bring an NFL franchise to San Diego would actually be aided by the proposal to build a soccer stadium and mixed-use development on the Mission Valley site that currently houses Qualcomm Stadium.

The proposed development, which calls for a 20,000-seat stadium for an MLS expansion franchise along with housing, retail, office and entertainment space, sets aside a 16-acre parcel specifically for an NFL stadium. The MLS proposal calls for the San Diego State football team to play in the smaller stadium, which would expand to 30,000 for football games. The Aztecs, who would prefer a slightly larger venue, could conceivably play in an NFL stadium.

Regardless, these efforts could work in harmony.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the current San Diego Stadium would be an upgrade over the Coliseum anyway.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Raiders seem to think that this is a done deal. They're renting out the arena at UNLV this Tuesday and Wednesday in anticipation of the vote.

The word is that the other owners are grateful that Mark Davis didn't raise a hissy fit, as his father almost certainly would have done, when he was the odd man out on the LA deal and feel an obligation to let him have his way on this proposal. Even the league has pretty much said that staying in Oakland is not an option. Bank of America has stepped in and filled the money void when Alderson bowed out, so financing shouldn't be an issue, and the gambling concern is apparently not a big deal anymore.

The only real problem is an interim venue while the new stadium is being built. The only thing close to NFL standards in the LV area is Sam Boyd Stadium where UNLV plays, and that place is hotter than hell in September and October, and several miles away from the strip. I don't think that the league wants to spend 4 lame duck seasons in Oakland.

chris98251

Reaction score
RiverDog":1248ou8w said:
The Raiders seem to think that this is a done deal. They're renting out the arena at UNLV this Tuesday and Wednesday in anticipation of the vote.

The word is that the other owners are grateful that Mark Davis didn't raise a hissy fit, as his father almost certainly would have done, when he was the odd man out on the LA deal and feel an obligation to let him have his way on this proposal. Even the league has pretty much said that staying in Oakland is not an option. Bank of America has stepped in and filled the money void when Alderson bowed out, so financing shouldn't be an issue, and the gambling concern is apparently not a big deal anymore.

The only real problem is an interim venue while the new stadium is being built. The only thing close to NFL standards in the LV area is Sam Boyd Stadium where UNLV plays, and that place is hotter than hell in September and October, and several miles away from the strip. I don't think that the league wants to spend 4 lame duck seasons in Oakland.

You mean to tell me that one of the Hotels has not built a Football Stadium inside yet they could use? :)

I thought there was a place that the USFL had used there for a few years, maybe it's the same place your speaking of.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3nik5lvq said:
RiverDog":3nik5lvq said:

You mean to tell me that one of the Hotels has not built a Football Stadium inside yet they could use? :)

I thought there was a place that the USFL had used there for a few years, maybe it's the same place your speaking of.

Ya. The only large stadium in the area is Sam Boyd Stadium. It is south Las Vegas off of Boulder Highway. Not quite to Sams Town. Brother and me and his gfriend went to a couple of Monster Truck finals there a couple years in a row. It was interesting for what we had in mind.

Riverdog is correct in that it is an open air stadium.

The area around Trump tower is kinda open air and flat from what I recall being down there in October. Unless things have grown back up as they are changing things there every other day. Heading there in June with some friends again.

Josea16

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ajgq54g said:
rideaducati":2ajgq54g said:
Sports Hernia":2ajgq54g said:
mikeak":2ajgq54g said:
I am curious as to why the NFL would be so opposed to a team in Las Vegas but so pro a team in London....

Sports gambling is huge in Europe
Because Rog is a big goober that doesnt think things thru????

It isn't up to Roger, it is the owners wanting to grow their money and with the United States all but tapped out as far as revenue, going outside the country has a better opportunity to make the owners more money.
Rog has a lot more pull then you are giving him credit for. They don't pay him upwards of 44 million dollars a year to be a figurehead in a suit. I think having a team outside the US/Canada would be an abysmal failure. BTW, the NFL gave up its anti-trust status so they won't have to say how much they are paying Rog. Who's idea do you think that was? (see Rog's).

Vegas would be a lot easier sell than most would think if they got a stadium built.
Vegas is a very easy market to sell, especially to those outside of Vegas. Just think of the travel/vacation packages they could sell to the other NFL Markets when those cities teams play an away game in the entertainment capital of the world. That's some serious untapped potential inside the US.

Now would it be a homefield advantage a lot of the time for the home team??? Probably not. ......but every fan has one thing in common no matter what team they root for, everyone's money is green.
Interesting point because I was wondering who'd be the people filling the stands? It sure wouldn't be anyone actually living in Las Vegas.

chris98251

Reaction score
Transient fans like in Arizona and in Florida, people retiring or moving there. Although I thought the L.V. economy took a huge hit not long ago and that there were some serious water issues going on.

Although I can see Hotels adding game tickets to their travel packages, especially if they build the stadium with a bunch of suites and package them for upscale clients.