Less pumped this week than last?

tacomahawk

Reaction score
All last week in was a freaking wreak, so emotional. I would tell everyone we were going to win. I would tell myself we are going to win. All the time however there would be this little flutter in my stomach that would tell the back of my brain to say internally I hope. The whole game last week Marshaun's quote of "I don't give an F we're still going to the Superbowl" was going through my head and making me yell that much harder.

This week I don't have that flutter. When I say we are going to win there is no internal voice. There is nothing. Nothing but the quiet confidence that our team is going to totally kick ass.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I am MORE pumped, because I have no doubt we are winning this game.

I did NOT feel that way last week.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I am vacillating between feeling extremely confident and kind of nervous that Peyton and an uptempo offense could be trouble. So, I'm feeling pretty much like I do before EVERY game, and that's a good thing.

I do remember before the 2005 Orange Bowl/BCS Championship that a lot of the talking heads were saying that Oklahoma was the favorite, that Leinart didn't have enough weapons, that Adrian Petersen et al, were too good of an offense for USC's defense... It was actually kind of like right now with the Broncos and the Hawks.

Would love to see a similar outcome.

55-19 USC :-D

Riley12

Reaction score
Adding to last weeks nervousness, for me, was the disappointment that we didn't get to celebrate the victory over New Orleans for a week.

Instead, the Niners won in Carolina and so we went right into competition mode, knowing that it would be quite a battle.

Without that chance to enjoy a victory for a little while, the Niner game was even more stressful.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's all because of the bye week, fast forward to next Friday and we will see how anxious we all are.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
My Broncos fan buddy has been talking his team up like crazy, I was fighting back for a while throwing stats back in his face for a while. I just got this feeling like he doesn't get it and just stopped and said Lynch is going to pound denvers defense like they have never seen and we will control the clock, and I hope and pray that Manning throws Shermans way. Then I upped our bet from $20 to $40. All he said was that he is actually scared about Harvin tearing them up now.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We would really have to screw up on offense to not control the time of possesion. And the best way to beat Manning is to keep him off the field. Keep him cold, rusty, and never let them get in a rythm, and this will be a blowout.

Always Fierce

Reaction score
HawkWow":jakdyblh said:
I am.

I've waited most of my life for our first Lombardi. But I'm not getting the nervous energy one gets from a 4 pack of Redbull or an NFCCG match-up against our hated rivals. Instead, I am TOO calm about meeting Manning and Denver for our date with redemption.

I am watching the Denver / Pats game for the 3rd time as I type. I am seeing missed pick 6s and what should be a crumpled Manning. I want my anxiety back. I am content, in fact overwhelmed, by this feeling that victory is certain. I am so overwhelmed with this sensation, that I find myself underwhelmed.

Like many of you, I am not a new fan. I have been an addict since I was 5. I've seen most of the greats and I feel honored to have lived in this era of great football. Many people on this board despise my posts because I am a realist. I am the guy that will tell your wife she looks fat in that dress if she asks. I don't measure my words and wear my heart on my sleeve. I don't do the "Rah rah rah there's never been a better QB than RW" thing. So when I feel the calm that I am feeling today, I know it must be legit and based on years of studying the nuances of this wonderful game.

I don't see HTH Denver is going to pull out a win against us. I love Manning. I've loved the guy since he was a kid at Tennessee. He is arguably the greatest ever...but I don't think he will be able to contend with what we have to offer...at every level of our D. Manning can yell "Omaha" 50 times and look for his rub routes and little crossing routes all day. Instead of success, he will find heartache. By the 3rd, his receivers are going to have little itty bitty gator arms...and if you know Peyton, you know how frustrated this will make him.

Manning is great and the consummate pro, but I've seen him get more pissed than rattled. Most QBs make mistakes when they get rattled, Manning makes mistakes when he gets pissed. I don't want to jinx us by offering the score I am feeling. But if I am correct, this will not be "one for the ages". I'll leave it at that.

Anyone else feeling this sense of calm that only comes with the certainty of domination? It's unsettling. But in a good way. GO HAWKS!

You're facing undisputably the best offense to ever play the game. FACT.

Seattle has to be the underdog based on that alone. Your defense is good, but we aren't talking 85 Bears, 86 Giants, or 00 Ravens type good.

Polaris

Reaction score
Always Fierce":8rs1rpt2 said:

Only when measured by raw yards. If you dig deeper, we find that while the Denver Offense is really, really good, it's not the Epic Irressistable Force you think it is.

The best offense ever measured by DVOA was (not suprisingly) the 2007 Patriots who went undefeated through the regular season and lost in the 2008 SB to the Giants. That DVOA was 43.5 on offense which is significantly better than Denver 2013's offensive DVOA of 33.7

Your offense earns a place on the all-time list, but it's not as EPIC as you claim.

Seattle has to be the underdog based on that alone. Your defense is good, but we aren't talking 85 Bears, 86 Giants, or 00 Ravens type good.

Actually Seattle's defense by defensive DVOA is BETTER than the Baltimore Ravens of 2000 so yes, our defense really is that type of good.

Seattle 2013 defensive DVOA (neg numbers are good): -25.8%
Baltimore 2000 defensive DVOA (ditto): -23.8%

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

OlyHawk

Reaction score
Calm before the storm. Since preseason game number #1, I was thinking we might be seeing the two Super Bowl teams. The preseason game against Denver was appealing because it was Denver, an old nemesis and a preseason AFC favorite. Now look where we are at.
I have to manage my emotions for big games, so I try to be calm until the day before any game. Next week will be ridiculous with media coverage. The weather concerns about how it will affect each team will cause anxiety for the fans.
The 49er game was the best game ever in Seahawk history. I hope the Super Bowl will be a good game with a comfortable, non-stressful win for the Seahawks. Probably will be a close game into the 4th qtr. No stress just excitement. One week to go!

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
I'm just remembering feelings that I have gotten before previous Super Bowls.

Super Bowl XXXII, when the Packers were favored by 11, and a sports pundit said, "I'd bet on a 29-year-old Brett Favre before I did a 38-year-old John Elway," I told my wife we needed to lay some dough on the Broncs. When she pointed out that Packers defense--Gilbert Brown, Reggie White, and the like--I said, "Got a feeling Elway's gonna be unstoppable." Of course, the Broncos won. (Note: I also got a sense that there would be some iconic Elway-defining moment, and there was ... the dive for a first down when he was spun in the air but got up pumping his fist)

Super Bowl XXXVI, when the Rams were favored by 14, my son-in-law said, "Bet allllll your money on the Rams, man, they're gonna roll." Something told me to drop a C-note on the Pats to cover the spread, which I did, but in my heart I felt they would win and almost made that my wager.

In the summer of 2003, my wife and I were in Vegas and at a sports book we saw the Super Bowl odds. It was June, and the odds on the Pats winning it all were 15:1. My wife said, "We need to put money on the Pats to win it all. I have a feeling about them." We didn't ... and regretted it (15:1 odds ... whew!)

Before Super Bowl XL, my wife was over the moon. I was actually calm and kind of sick because I just knew there would be disappointment. I believed Seattle was the better team, but a little voice said, "No way the NFL lets these guys win."

In the 2008 postseason, leading up to Super Bowl XLII, all the rage was the undefeated Pats. My son-in-law is a Giants fan, and he told me on the phone, "I just hope we don't embarrass ourselves in the postseason" (Giants squeaked in at 9-7, I believe) I had this weird, weird feeling that the Giants would beat the Cowboys and possibly even the Pack. They did.

The night before the Super Bowl, I had a weird dream that an old girlfriend of mine who hailed from Jersey--also a Giants fan--had a brain tumor, and that I was able to heal it with my touch. The next day, the Giants won the Big Game. A few weeks later, that old girlfriend called me and told me she had a CT scan that revealed a brain tumor. Doctors felt they could remove it. I told her, "You are going to be fine. I know this as surely as I know the color of my own eyes." She pulled through surgery and is alive and well today.

And now? I have this feeling, this calm as well. Living with a Seattle native, I know the kind of stress the Seahawks can bring. But going into the postseason, I told my wife before any games had been played, "It's going to come down to 49ers at Seattle, and I have a feeling it will come down to one dramatic play that you will remember forever."

Now ... all I see is a front page photo of Sherman holding the Lombardi with a headline like DEAL WITH THAT! or something smacky. I even hear some variations of "Sleepless in Seattle" in my head, like when the confetti falls on a happy Russell Wilson I hear Joe Buck saying, "And they'll be sleepless in Seattle tonight!" I feel the Seahawks got this. Not sure how dramatic the game will be, but I get the sense that after a tight first half Seattle creates a gap and wins by 10-14 points.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Im sure the NFL wants a close game if this becomes a blowout people might turn it off. I would think they would love to see a Manning comback in the 4th so I expect the early calls to go our way and in the 4th all the calls going to Denver.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I'm actually a little too amped up on this game because I've kinda been pulled into some of the Donkey trolling on this board. I plan to scale it way back, not feel like I need to defend our guys, and let Kam and Marshawn show them on the field. I think I'm gonna step back from posting for a while, let the blood pressure come back down, and sit n wait for next Sunday. This is going to be epic.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Polaris":16v02x9s said:
Always Fierce":16v02x9s said:

Only when measured by raw yards. If you dig deeper, we find that while the Denver Offense is really, really good, it's not the Epic Irressistable Force you think it is.

The best offense ever measured by DVOA was (not suprisingly) the 2007 Patriots who went undefeated through the regular season and lost in the 2008 SB to the Giants. That DVOA was 43.5 on offense which is significantly better than Denver 2013's offensive DVOA of 33.7

Your offense earns a place on the all-time list, but it's not as EPIC as you claim.

Actually Seattle's defense by defensive DVOA is BETTER than the Baltimore Ravens of 2000 so yes, our defense really is that type of good.

Seattle 2013 defensive DVOA (neg numbers are good): -25.8%
Baltimore 2000 defensive DVOA (ditto): -23.8%

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

Thanks for backing up my thoughts with actual facts, Polaris. There is no question our D ranks with the best of all time. Points allowed is all one needs to know. I do acknowledge the Manning led Denver O is formidable, but I don't see them as all timers for the simple reason they are so dependent on Peyton. IF Manning isn't clicking, or able to click on all cylinders, what do you Broncs have to fall back on? You don't have an Emmit or Dillon or Faulk or Lynch and I think an "all time" O needs a potent back that can change a game on his own. I am actually a fan of both Ball and Moreno, but while Ball is young, Moreno is (thankfully) not what I hoped he would be coming out of college.

Do understand I am not bad mouthing your team and I do consider the Broncs to be very dangerous. I just think when we start engaging in "all time" talk, our D is more deserving of such lofty praise than your O. I could be wrong.

CharlieCobra

Reaction score
I have that feeling that the Hawks will handle Denver. Manning is known for his quick release but that likely won't happen after the LOB jams his WR's at the LOS, making him wait for them to clear. He can't scramble when that happens like Colin did.....

Sac

Reaction score
Apparently the loose, carefree demeanor of Pete Carroll's Seahawks are finally rubbing off on a fanbase that has been the equivalent of an abused dog for decades. I too am feeling comfortable. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that.

Mindsink

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you guys are from the East Coast, but back in 2004, the Boston Red Sox won their 1st title after beating the NY Yankees in the ALCS (historic comeback from 3-0). After that, they swept the St. Louis Cardinals 4-0 in the World Series. It was very anti-climatic.

This right here feels like the same thing. We come from behind and beat our hated division rivals in a hard fought game. I can see us rolling in the Superbowl and completely blowing out the Broncos to our 1st title.

LyndseyG

Reaction score
For me the nerves keep coming and going... It started about two weeks ago when I watched the Hawks face the Saints. I remember the reality it suddenly dawned on me: "Holy crap! This could actually happen!" I've been pumped then calm again on and off ever since.

In fact they've returned after reading through this thread! I think I'll pop over to the non-sport section for a bit to calm down again...

I didn't want to say this because I didn't want to jinx it, but I've had a feeling for weeks, that if we made it all the way wewould be facing the Broncos.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
Living here in SW Wyoming, I'm surrounded by Broncos fans. All I get at lunch at work is "our offense is unstoppable" "pot roast is going to eat up Marshawn", "the only chance the Hawks have is if it snows", etc. I was pretty calm the first couple of days after the NFCCG, but now I really want a complete manhandling of the donkeys. (Hopefully, on a nice, crisp sunny day with no precipitation, lol.)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Mindsink":35j1zzz2 said:
I'm not sure how many of you guys are from the East Coast, but back in 2004, the Boston Red Sox won their 1st title after beating the NY Yankees in the ALCS (historic comeback from 3-0). After that, they swept the St. Louis Cardinals 4-0 in the World Series. It was very anti-climatic.

This right here feels like the same thing. We come from behind and beat our hated division rivals in a hard fought game. I can see us rolling in the Superbowl and completely blowing out the Broncos to our 1st title.

That's funny, because over this bye week I've realized my emotional state is very similar to the feeling I had after game 6 of the 2011 World Series. (I grew up in St. Louis and have rooted for the Cardinals since 1981.) It was so tense and their backs were against the wall, but after they won that game with every bit of magic and fortitude they could muster, I felt the championship belonged to the Cardinals.

There was still serious work to be done; it all came down to the final game, but I was certain. Same goes for these Seahawks. I'll ramp up the P&J meter as this week gets going, but there's no anxiety at all.

Latest posts