Let´s talk expectations

mrt144

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":20omie9f said:
With Russ at QB and Bobby as our leader on D I just don't see us falling below .500.

We only missed 10-6 and another berth in the playoffs last year by a last second FG miss. Everybody is acting like that miss sent us over a cliff ... I still see us as a playoff contender.

I look at those small 'so close to better' events this way:

1. They happen in the NFL and do decide records. Every team could lay claim to two or three specific things that could have gone their way - a kick going through the uprights, a pass that was caught for a TD rather than dropped, a tip drill that almost resulted in an integral INT. But it didn't and that's football.

2. Focusing on those small events runs cover for internal rot. Would a 10-6 team with such a feeble run game make me feel better? Maybe a little bit in the moment. But in the fashion it played out, those little events wouldn't be so integral if they were even league average at rushing in the red zone or within the 10 yard line. It's one of those causal chains where I ask myself "why was this missed kick so important" and then trace it back to ample opportunities to diminish the seeming integralness of making that ezpz kick. I know it's kind of unfair and unkind to ask "What did you do or not do that made this the thing our season hinged on" but I think that is also part of football. Giving yourself a margin of error to operate is part of the game and we gave ourselves very very little margin to work in and absorb fiascos.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1txaj9pi said:
Front seven of the defense could surprise a lot of people, but the secondary is going to be bad. 10-6, probably, assuming Seabass doesn't faceplant like Walsh.

Does 10-6 get Pete and Schneider coach and executive of the year?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This is a 6 win team at best. Anything more is pure luck.

Prove me wrong team

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
7-9.

Reasonable with this roster and with how the backend of this schedule works out.

We are going to have a much better offense, a less formidable defense, but the run game looks really encouraging and our WRs look like they might be really good.

Playoffs seem a tall order but it doesn't seem unreasonable to say they are going to be worth watching this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2umh5sl3 said:
Playoffs seem a tall order but it doesn't seem unreasonable to say they are going to be worth watching this year.

It's a great group of young players and core players to root for. As a football and Hawk fan, this is one of the most likeable and easily rootable teams in recent memory.........even if it's not the most talented.

Griffin brothers, Dickson, RB group, Russell, young TE corp, quick shifty WR corp, potential in the defensive backfield, hard workers on the D-line.

Lots of players and position groups to love and root for.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
4-12. This is one of the least talented teams in the league. Its going to be an incrediblely difficult season to watch but it will be fascinating to see how all the optimists respond to reality. We might win 7 or 8 games in 2019 and will be competitive again by 2020 if we stay the course. But this season is rock bottom.

Sac

Reaction score
seanmatt":2m1xoejy said:
4-12. This is one of the least talented teams in the league. Its going to be an incrediblely difficult season to watch but it will be fascinating to see how all the optimists respond to reality. We might win 7 or 8 games in 2019 and will be competitive again by 2020 if we stay the course. But this season is rock bottom.

You're an id...your post is idiotic.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sac":3kml14bz said:
seanmatt":3kml14bz said:

Slow your roll there GhostRider.
He may be onto something.

:{)

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
Sac":2rjdjxeu said:
seanmatt":2rjdjxeu said:

Listen man, I HOPE you're right. This isn't one of those times where I want to be right. But I just feel like there is a cliff that people aren't seeing. Heck, I didn't see the cliff in 2008. And trust me dude, that team seemed to have a lot of talent on it too. I'm still a fan. Still gonna watch the games. I'm just readying myself for what I think is gonna happen.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Where are all those people that were spouting about how the team is younger, faster, stronger, and distractions no longer exist and they should at least be battling for a playoff spot gone? I have always said we would probably be around 8-8 this season and people went crazy. Now, after the preseason, it seems to be the norm.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I'm going into this with pretty much no expectations when it comes to wins and losses. I could see us going 7-9, I could see us going 10-6 or anywhere in between (so I guess my expectation is to do better than 6-10?). Barring injury, I feel like we'll be pleasantly surprised by all the young guys and we'll actually end up on the right side of .500. But if the team starts getting dinged up? I fear our lack of depth is going to start showing in a big way.

Thompson is going to have to show up at FS. Someone other than Clark is gonna have to show up at DE rushing the passer. Our 1st string o-line has looked ok, but the 2nd and beyond have looked bad at best IMO. The young TE group is going to have to make plays and contribute. Other than that, I think our squad is actually really solid.

Defense:
DBs - best cover nickel/slot corner in the league last year in Coleman. Griffin returning from a very solid rookie year. McDougald was more than serviceable last year. I'm actually surprised we were able to keep him.
Wright/Wagner - still the best LB duo in the league IMO.
DT - absolutely stacked with a good group of young guys plus Johnson and Stephen.

Offense:
WRs - strong group IMO. Marshall and Brown are proven. ADB and Lockett returning. Strong back end in Marcus Johnson, David Moore, Keenan Reynolds -- whoever makes the team.
RB - best RB group we've had since before Beast. I think Carson is a fantastic RB and has looked the part this preseason. We know what we have in Davis which is a very good floor. Hoping Penny can contribute, but not sure it's necessary. McKissic and Prosise rounding out the group is pretty impressive IMO.
O-line - All-pro LT, solid C in Britt. Pocic looking better and stronger. I worry what the right side is going to look like, especially since Sweezy and Fluker are battling injuries. I'm not really going to hold out hope for Ifedi, though his run blocking has been much better than probably anything we've seen previously from him.
QB - U N L I M I T E D

I like what I see, especially when considering this is a "retooling" year, but I don't really have much for expectations. Just hoping we can watch this team blossom and give us some 2012 vibes.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2i0wmvkj said:
Where are all those people that were spouting about how the team is younger, faster, stronger, and distractions no longer exist and they should at least be battling for a playoff spot gone? I have always said we would probably be around 8-8 this season and people went crazy. Now, after the preseason, it seems to be the norm.

The team is younger, more than likely faster due to the increase in youth and by that logic perhaps stronger. So nothing is really wrong with that statement. You can also argue that there are less distractions what with less house hold names on the team, this can all be seen as potential good for the future. As for the here and now? Eh? 6 to 9 wins wouldn't be shocking. There will be growing pains.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For a retooling year, anything between 6-10 and 10-6 is possible. For me, regardless of circumstance, it always boils down to injuries. IF we can remain relatively injury free, I remain optimistic that we will be close to 10-6 and in the playoff hunt. Nothing I have seen this offseason - including the preseason games - has changed my opinion on that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3sda71ei said:

I agree with the younger, faster and no more negative distractions..............but stronger?

We'll see on stronger. I do like the makeup of the Hawks, especially on offense. It's already evident that Solari and Schottenheimer are having a positive impact on the run game.

Defense is where it gets shaky. Some great young enthusiasm and potential, but that's all it is right now, potential. We'll see if these young guys can learn on the fly and get better as the group before them did.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
The year we drafted Tutupu was a rebuilding year and everyone understood that. We went to he superbowl.

The year we won the superbowl was a rebuilding year with unheard of guys like Sherman and Kam, we won the superbowl.

I would predict inconsistent performance, win a few we shouldn't lose a few we shouldn't and I would guess our record to be 8-8.

A few factors: Does Earl come back and if so does is he his usual self. Injuries? Earl and injuries could have a big effect on our record one way or another. Without Earl I think the D get's burnt in the passing game a lot. With Earl, Kam and Sherman we didn't fare too well on passing D last year so who knows?

My expectations are 8-8, but I know with this coaching staff and past tallent evaluation don't be surprised to see us go deep in the playoffs.

RE LA Rams? all the talent in the world with all the attitude in the world. wouldn't be surprised to see the wheels fall off that team and for us to get 1 or 2 wins against them this year.

Sac

Reaction score
seanmatt":2xgdscj7 said:
Sac":2xgdscj7 said:
seanmatt":2xgdscj7 said:

Listen man, I HOPE you're right. This isn't one of those times where I want to be right. But I just feel like there is a cliff that people aren't seeing. Heck, I didn't see the cliff in 2008. And trust me dude, that team seemed to have a lot of talent on it too. I'm still a fan. Still gonna watch the games. I'm just readying myself for what I think is gonna happen.

The only way this team only wins 4 games is if Russ goes down. Our defense wasn't great last year by any stretch, and RW counting for 80% of the offense, dragged this team to what would've been 11 wins were it not for Mr. Wide Right.

thegameq

Reaction score
If Pete plays to the strength of this team--the offense (Russell, the passing game, pass to setup the run), I think we surprise a lot of teams with offensive shoot-outs. if we try to pretend we're the still the SB Seahawks and rely on the defense, we crash and burn eventually.

rjdriver

Reaction score
seanmatt":1pipydqf said:

Attachments

• expectaions.jpg
    expectaions.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,324

adeltaY

Reaction score
MO Hawk":85llwq6f said:
The year we drafted Tutupu was a rebuilding year and everyone understood that. We went to he superbowl.

The year we won the superbowl was a rebuilding year with unheard of guys like Sherman and Kam, we won the superbowl.

I would predict inconsistent performance, win a few we shouldn't lose a few we shouldn't and I would guess our record to be 8-8.

A few factors: Does Earl come back and if so does is he his usual self. Injuries? Earl and injuries could have a big effect on our record one way or another. Without Earl I think the D get's burnt in the passing game a lot. With Earl, Kam and Sherman we didn't fare too well on passing D last year so who knows?

My expectations are 8-8, but I know with this coaching staff and past tallent evaluation don't be surprised to see us go deep in the playoffs.

RE LA Rams? all the talent in the world with all the attitude in the world. wouldn't be surprised to see the wheels fall off that team and for us to get 1 or 2 wins against them this year.

We were SB favorites in the off-season of 2013 and remained so the entire season up to the win. No need to rewrite history.