Looking at this game as a pats fan

Tical21

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":1z1qyufm said:
Tical21":1z1qyufm said:
To say Sherman has no more responsibility than Maxwell is to be misinformed. Earl cheats away from Sherman and often is not there to help over the top because he is cheating towards Maxwell. Sherman also is one of the few corners in the league capable of having deep leverage and still being able to shut down the underneath stuff, to the point where he got scolded for it a handful of weeks back. He doesn't cover half the field, but 40% probably isn't an understatement

You heard this somewhere and 100% did not form this opinion on your own
Excuse me?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":1jsi4o02 said:
Bitter":1jsi4o02 said:
Strongarm2399":1jsi4o02 said:
Bitter":1jsi4o02 said:
It is my feeling that the Patriots won't even have the opportunity to choke away the Super Bowl. If that is the case, wouldn't it mean GB is the better team? And they did it at CLink where as the Patriots get the Seahawks on a neutral field.

And what gives you that feeling?

Started working on my response as I read through the rest of the thread. After wading through drivel your comments have become, my response is now "I would rather not argue with a Patriot troll."

Pity too, outside of your apparent fear of the enter key, you started out looking different than the other Patsies that have flooded this forum the last 2 weeks.

I am a troll because I think the game is an even matchup? Or because I think that revis is the most talented player on defense? Or because I don't see seattle getting interior pressure the way the Giants did.

Let me be clear I do not think any of that gives the patriots a better chance to win the game than I originally thought.

Also didn't mean to troll by making any of them. they were simple rebuttals to people saying that this is an easy Hawks w

Not so much your opinions that make you look like troll, but the manner is which you have chosen to express them at times. Especially as a guest on a forum dedicated to the fans of the opposing team.

Tical21

Reaction score
There is such thing as a man press cover 3. Usually out of quarter personnel. Rare, but still exists.

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Tical21":2gic9flp said:
There is such thing as a man press cover 3. Usually out of quarter personnel. Rare, but still exists.
Lol please inform me how this works. Who are the 3 deep

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Tical21":q6armvlo said:
Sherman doesn't play outs, slants and comebacks? He only covers the fade, right? Somebody has never watched the Seahawks play before.

He does cover comebacks that's one of the two he does not cover slants in their base d where they primarily operate and he covers the top of an out while the flat covers underneath

Tical21

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":11kp7auv said:
Tical21":11kp7auv said:
To say Sherman has no more responsibility than Maxwell is to be misinformed. Earl cheats away from Sherman and often is not there to help over the top because he is cheating towards Maxwell. Sherman also is one of the few corners in the league capable of having deep leverage and still being able to shut down the underneath stuff, to the point where he got scolded for it a handful of weeks back. He doesn't cover half the field, but 40% probably isn't an understatement

You heard this somewhere and 100% did not form this opinion on your own.

I don't even know where this argument comes from. The Hawks are so rarely in a cover 2 or cover 2 man that it's crazy. Once in a while kam will drop back but it's less than 5 plays a game from what I've seen. The only time a safety gives help "over the top" is when a corner is in trail technique. They are very straight by the book I don't remember ever seeing max play a trail with earl over the top while sherman was left alone. Maybe I'm wrong if you can tell me a game to watch I'll gladly do it
Sure, Earl is responsible for deep middle third in their cover 3, but can just about get sideline to sideline on fade routes. If you see a fade towards Maxwell's side, Thomas is almost always there or closing quickly. Sherman doesn't get that same luxury. Earl has commented many times that he has told Maxwell he can take some chances, because he has his back, especially when Maxwell was just starting out last season. They're able to do this because Richard Sherman is way more amazing than you are giving him credit for.

I love Revis and I haven't gone as far to say Sherm is better, but to say he and Maxwell have equal responsibility is incorrect.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yea.. I stopped paying attention after that comment about Sherm responsible for 1/ 7th of the field.

Tical21

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":2fvi0g6n said:
Tical21":2fvi0g6n said:
Sherman doesn't play outs, slants and comebacks? He only covers the fade, right? Somebody has never watched the Seahawks play before.

He does cover comebacks that's one of the two he does not cover slants in their base d where they primarily operate and he covers the top of an out while the flat covers underneath
Richard Sherman does not cover slants in their base D? True, he does not in bunch formations, but if there is only one WR to his side, he locks down the slant as well as any corner in the game.

We do give you the 5 yard out in our base defense, although Richard is a lot closer to it than you think he should be.

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Tical21":1wop9ep3 said:
Strongarm2399":1wop9ep3 said:
Tical21":1wop9ep3 said:

You heard this somewhere and 100% did not form this opinion on your own.

I don't even know where this argument comes from. The Hawks are so rarely in a cover 2 or cover 2 man that it's crazy. Once in a while kam will drop back but it's less than 5 plays a game from what I've seen. The only time a safety gives help "over the top" is when a corner is in trail technique. They are very straight by the book I don't remember ever seeing max play a trail with earl over the top while sherman was left alone. Maybe I'm wrong if you can tell me a game to watch I'll gladly do it
Sure, Earl is responsible for deep middle third in their cover 3, but can just about get sideline to sideline on fade routes. If you see a fade towards Maxwell's side, Thomas is almost always there or closing quickly. Sherman doesn't get that same luxury. Earl has commented many times that he has told Maxwell he can take some chances, because he has his back, especially when Maxwell was just starting out last season. They're able to do this because Richard Sherman is way more amazing than you are giving him credit for.

I love Revis and I haven't gone as far to say Sherm is better, but to say he and Maxwell have equal responsibility is incorrect.

I give sherman all the credit in the world man. Dude is basically perfect at what he does. Literally I watched 6 games and in cover 3 he is flawless. Maybe max gets a little more help from earl but underneath is the same. He should get a little more help than earl because he is usually matches up on #1 due to the fact that sherman is so good at what he does it doesn't matter who's over there they aren't beating him

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":27p6dfle said:
Yea.. I stopped paying attention after that comment about Sherm responsible for 1/ 7th of the field.
Honestly it's a hell of a lot closer to 1/7 than 1/2

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Tical21":3cu86jq8 said:
Strongarm2399":3cu86jq8 said:
Tical21":3cu86jq8 said:

Richard Sherman does not cover slants in their base D? True, he does not in bunch formations, but if there is only one WR to his side, he locks down the slant as well as any corner in the game.

We do give you the 5 yard out in our base defense, although Richard is a lot closer to it than you think he should be.

No he doesn't. He directs them where he wants and then releases to the lbs/kam

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":3013dkcr said:
Scottemojo":3013dkcr said:
It's a common mistake. Press cover 3 gets labeled as man press cover 3 because our cover 1 and cover 3 can look the same. And if the outside receivers don't run deep, it looks like man.

Of course, you could have figured that out yourself, but you are kind of being a dick.

I was kind of being a dick. My bad
It's okay. A whole bunch of posters were being dicks to you to start with. You came on here being reasonable and you have the right to your opinions.

I'll say this though: While you have strong arguments about Revis, bottom line is Sherman is better and while I could definitively prove it, that would wind up stealing this thread for no reason because, in the end, it's irrelevant. Sherman won't be relevant to this game for entirely different reasons than anyone would think:

Brady throws to Shermans side of the field far less than the league average. He favors Maxwell's side of the field. And I don't mean against the Seahawks, I mean against all teams in general. So the Patriots won't be changing much up by ignoring Sherman.

In fact, it might be a sly trick of Pete to swap Sherman and Maxwell for this game and put Sherm on the left. THAT would be disruptive to what Brady wants to do. Don't expect it, but if it happens, hey, you heard it here first :)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Sure. So covering 1/7 of the field how does he make the Int in the flat behind the line to beat the Texans last year or how does he make that stop on the opposite side of the field last game? He has mastered defending the fade and back shoulder but to say he doesnt defend a slant or quick out is wrong. People assume we basically play cover 3 zone with ET up top but DQ has thrown in wrinkles moving ET and Kam around.

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":gf08laoj said:
Sure. So covering 1/7 of the field how does he make the Int in the flat behind the line to beat the Texans last year or how does he make that stop on the opposite side of the field last game? He has mastered defending the fade and back shoulder but to say he doesnt defend a slant or quick out is wrong. People assume we basically play cover 3 zone with ET up top but DQ has thrown in wrinkles moving ET and Kam around.

Of course they throw wrinkles. If he had a pick in the flat I'm sure that was one of the times they played a cover 2. And again i am not assuming anything. What I have spoke about is based solely off the games that I watched completly.

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Whoever is better is is subjective I guess. But imo if both players were to break their legs right now that ne would have to adjust their whole Plan

Laloosh

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":3ie1mzz2 said:
Whoever is better is is subjective I guess. But imo if both players were to break their legs right now that ne would have to adjust their whole Plan

That says just as much about that defense as it does about Revis. Can't fault Sherm for that.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":1qiowu59 said:
Integral doesn't always mean better. Frankly, by that definition Bobby Wagner becomes the best player on Seattle's defense.

Suffice it to say both QBs will have a wary eye on at least one cornerback. And that is probably all that really matters.