Lynch traded!

hawknation2017

Reaction score
hawkfan68":223k18hh said:
I'm a bit confused about why the Seahawks had to include their 6th round pick in next year's draft? It seems a bit much. From a business perspective did Lynch's value diminish that much. It seems the Raiders may have come out ahead in the deal.

Because we have moved on from Marshawn and would have been forced to release him if he came out of retirement without a trade in place. The only leverage we had to prevent that scenario was the attempting to recoup his signing bonus from last season. In the end, it was a fair exchange for Marshawn's rights. We moved up into the 5th round, when alternatively, we would have received nothing.

RW92

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2w6e8exi said:
hawkfan68":2w6e8exi said:
I'm a bit confused about why the Seahawks had to include their 6th round pick in next year's draft? It seems a bit much. From a business perspective did Lynch's value diminish that much. It seems the Raiders may have come out ahead in the deal.

Because we have moved on from Marshawn and would have been forced to release him if he came out of retirement without a trade in place. The only leverage we had to prevent that scenario was the attempting to recoup his signing bonus from last season. In the end, it was a fair exchange for Marshawn's rights. We moved up into the 5th round, when alternatively, we would have received nothing.

I would have told him play for us, sit on the bench or quit. Let's see who would have blinked first. I hope the draft goes better than this.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
RW92":2erkt6ix said:
hawknation2017":2erkt6ix said:
hawkfan68":2erkt6ix said:

I would have told him play for us, sit on the bench or quit. Let's see who would have blinked first. I hope the draft goes better than this.

Who would you have released to pay him?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He has had a year to recover from the injuries he suffered playing behind one of the league's worst offensive lines and he is going to play behind one of the best offensive lines.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well i'd much rather he was playing for us, at least we got a descent draft pick out of it. Like I said in another post they can and did get better than a 7th round pick. I've heard a few people around here say he's washed up I wouldn't bet on that he's healthy and on a team that is on the rise.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he gave everything while he was here, if we got nothing I would have been happy for him, watching the vid is like seeing a kid surrounded by his hero's, the smile and his giggling were just perfect for a guy that has a chance to live out his dream, I think everyone pretty much knows if not the Raiders then nobody would have signed him and he would have not come back to the Seahawks. Getting a swap of picks is a bonus.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3iywk8ec said:
Like I said in another post they can and did get better than a 7th round pick.

Not really. See c_hawkbob's post and my post on the last page.

It depends on how you want to do the math, but according to Seahawks-generous math they got Round 6 Pick 28 for Lynch, according Raiders-generous math they got Round 7 Pick 28 for Lynch, and splitting to difference in team math generosity they got the equivalent value of a mid-7th round pick for Lynch.

Remember though, this isn't a statement about Lynch's "true" and unencumbered value to either team: it's a result of the Hawks having incredibly little leverage in the trade.

Even for a Hawks fan though the worst-case scenario is still a good one: they just got something for nothing, as there was no scenario in which they were going to pay Lynch the 9 million they owed him if he applied for reinstatement.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
The only thing I wish would have been built into this deal is if he goes out there and has an MVP type of season, the draft pick would have increased massively, like a 2nd rounder or so, it costs the Raiders nothing to do this kind of deal unless he has an awesome year.

GO HAWKS!!!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
RW92":nj88lrt1 said:
hawknation2017":nj88lrt1 said:
hawkfan68":nj88lrt1 said:

I can think of 9 million reasons that suggest that would have been a terrible idea.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I suspect Oakland offered a 7th straight up, and Seahawks countered with the 5th for a 6th.

I would have been happy with a 7th. I'm really happy with a 5th, although I remain unconvinced that a 5th is necessarily better than a 6th and 7th for this front office. We seem to do our best work when we bring in more players and let them compete than when we bring in fewer "better" players.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":7qccblte said:
Well he gave everything while he was here, if we got nothing I would have been happy for him, watching the vid is like seeing a kid surrounded by his hero's, the smile and his giggling were just perfect for a guy that has a chance to live out his dream, I think everyone pretty much knows if not the Raiders then nobody would have signed him and he would have not come back to the Seahawks. Getting a swap of picks is a bonus.

Agreed. Good on Beast.