MacDonald vs Johnson decision time

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
uh oh.. Washington has him on their radar..https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/commanders-to-interview-ravens-dc-mike-macdonald-after-baltimores-afc-championship-loss-per-report/
That was already known.

bigcc

Reaction score
uh oh.. Washington has him on their radar..https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/commanders-to-interview-ravens-dc-mike-macdonald-after-baltimores-afc-championship-loss-per-report/
Means nothing, why wouldn't they interview him? They also have one scheduled with Quinn lol.

I will be absolutely stunned if it's not some mixture of Johnson/Macdonald for seattle/DC

bigcc

Reaction score
Could get Kafka at OC. He is highly credited by Mahomes for excellent QB coaching.
Why do people keep saying this?

HE'S UNDER CONTRACT, it would be tampering to TALK to him about a lateral move, let alone hire him.

Wed have to trade for him or hope the giants are nice enough to release him this late in the coaching hunt and have to find a new OC

He's either head coach or he's staying in new york, PERIOD

Smellyman

Reaction score
of course and known and for all intents and purposes live in the same metro area. Wonder where MacDonald actually lives? he may not have to move.

Dabhawk

Reaction score
What if we avoided hiring Dan Quinn so that we hire Ben Johnson as HC… and then snipe DQ as our DC? Lol Seems strange that we haven’t signed DQ after the interviews already if we truly wanted him as HC… I personally want Macdonald but would be fine with him or Johnson. DQ does pretty well coaching defense and I’d take him as my DC. But not HC personally

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Means nothing, why wouldn't they interview him? They also have one scheduled with Quinn lol.

I will be absolutely stunned if it's not some mixture of Johnson/Macdonald for seattle/DC

I thought you could make him assistant head coach? I still think he has an outside shot at head coach either way

bigcc

Reaction score
I thought you could make him assistant head coach? I still think he has an outside shot at head coach either way
You're right actually, apologies.

Problem is, Macdonald or Johnson aren't going to sign a long deal to share the title with someone they've likely not spoken to for more than 5 minutes

And if they did we'd have to worry every year about a team poaching them for a full HC job

If we hire Macdonald or Johnson along with Kafka as co-hc, I'll literally rent out a bar for an evening and host a seahawks.net party, Quote me

EDIT: if whoever doesn't sign with the commanders just really doesn't want to come here, maybe Kafka, but I think they'd go Quinn or the Carolina DC first, but that's a gut feeling more than the actual thought process regarding Macdonald/Johnson

bigcc

Reaction score
What if we avoided hiring Dan Quinn so that we hire Ben Johnson as HC… and then snipe DQ as our DC? Lol Seems strange that we haven’t signed DQ after the interviews already if we truly wanted him as HC… I personally want Macdonald but would be fine with him or Johnson. DQ does pretty well coaching defense and I’d take him as my DC. But not HC personally
You can only hire a coach on an opposing team if it's a promotion

That's why you don't see teams ever sniping head coaches.

Don't want to make another comment as I'm just piling on, but what in the world is going on with vrabel? Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I wonder if he's in legal trouble or something? I haven't heard of him being seriously considered by a single team, seems odd?

getnasty

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying this?

HE'S UNDER CONTRACT, it would be tampering to TALK to him about a lateral move, let alone hire him.

Wed have to trade for him or hope the giants are nice enough to release him this late in the coaching hunt and have to find a new OC

He's either head coach or he's staying in new york, PERIOD
I also think it would be weird to make it to the final rounds of a head coaching gig then get hired by the guy you lost to.

bigcc

Reaction score
I also think it would be weird to make it to the final rounds of a head coaching gig then get hired by the guy you lost to.
A promotion is a promotion, as is a pay raise lol

Problem is, Macdonald and Johnson are 36 and 37... They're not going to tie themselves to a franchise saddled with an assistant HC that was hired before they even talked to him.

They'd just wait a year with the teams they know and try again next coaching cycle

rigelian

Reaction score
I want McDonald. I think the offensive line will improve next year and depending on the offensive coordinator we choose, I can see the possibility of improvement overall. However, the defense seemed completely lost and with the right draft picks and a kick ass defensive minded head coach, I think McDonald is the better fit.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
I get why folks want Macdonald, he's a good DC and the Seahawks defense been bad for to long, However think it would be better to maximize the area with some strengths, they have very good skill positions players at WR and RB and a middling declining grey beard at QB. A rookie QB is getting drafted soon to be the QB of the future. Since the 25 draft looks weak at QB I think it's happening this year. Ben Johnson looks like the right choice to elevate the offense and groom the QB of the future. Need a decent DC of course. The defense under performed badly and I feel a new DC almost couldn't help but improve it and with the offense maximized the Seahawks could be much improved.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Kick. The. Damned. Field Goals.
The maddening part, to me, is how nerd Twitter was fine with roasting Campbell on the go decision but every fourth down model that people use had it as a moderate-to-strong go situation over taking the long-ish field goal at the end.

I just wish they were consistent. They would've been fine saying "Dan Campbell made some bad decisions!" later and posting him on a graph if he had ignored the models and went for the 3 points.

I like Campbell going, personally. Part of the ethos of the organization. It's a shame they couldn't convert either time.

chris98251

Reaction score
MacDonald may be the coach but to get the same effect he would need to bring in an ace in the hole position coach ready to be a DC from there also. Then an OC, Rams have been poached heavily, so where do you look?

Hmmm how about S.F or maybe the Texans for a guy ready to step up. Detroit is going to be pilfered and it runs on guile there, I would not look to deep, Campbell makes it go. If Bienemy is available bring him in possibly.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I get why folks want Macdonald, he's a good DC and the Seahawks defense been bad for to long, However think it would be better to maximize the area with some strengths, they have very good skill positions players at WR and RB and a middling declining grey beard at QB. A rookie QB is getting drafted soon to be the QB of the future. Since the 25 draft looks weak at QB I think it's happening this year. Ben Johnson looks like the right choice to elevate the offense and groom the QB of the future. Need a decent DC of course. The defense under performed badly and I feel a new DC almost couldn't help but improve it and with the offense maximized the Seahawks could be much improved.
Yup. I agree.

But if they end up with MacDonald then the O.C becomes pretty important. Are they going with Kafka as the O.C? You run the risk of him becoming a head coach next season because his name has been around town. I'll understand this hire. He works well with QBs. He's smart. His offense is pretty creative when he has his horses.

The name I am going to throw out though is Jerrod Johnson from the Houston Texans. He is the QB coach there. He has never called plays but he has worked with Stroud and Cousins as their coaches. He comes from the McVay and Shanahan background. I think he is so green that he'll need at least 2-3 seasons before his name is in the head coaching discussions.

KinesProf

Reaction score
My #1 is Evero. Close 2 is Quinn. But I'd definitely be excited too see what MacDonald or Johnson have in store.

Latest posts