Magic Do Over

xray

Reaction score
Hand off to Lynch or Wilson could have run it to the right pylon easy...but not a 8 foot pass when they needed 9 against a stacked D. They had a time out left also ;they could of run 2 plays . IMO

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hand the ball off to Lynch against the worst goal line defense in the league that were already gassed and the second Lombardi gets stashed in the case.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
poly1274":2nbp3dnd said:
Uncle Si":2nbp3dnd said:
poly1274":2nbp3dnd said:
rjdriver":2nbp3dnd said:
It was second down. Give it to the beast. If he doesn't make it, run it again, or pass, but run it on second down.

If you run and don't score on 2nd down. It's almost game over.

Why?

They had a timeout and two more downs.

Running was a legit option there. I think if the pass on 2nd was incomplete they were running on 3rd

No I'm pretty sure they used their third and final timeout on Kearse's catch. And it was like 30 seconds left on 2nd down.

Im almost positive they had their timeout.

NJlargent

Reaction score
My pick would be the same one our star players would have picked. Run Lynch.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Exactly!

However, woulda, coulda, shoulda on this has been going on since XLIX ended. I hate pulling the scab off this wound it serves little present use. Interesting exercise but the whole management of the end of that game after the ball was caught by Kearse was flawed, and it is deeper than the one play.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
As Pitt mentioned, NE was a terrible GL defense - and it was the end of the game with them tired.

Lynch would have walked in.

My magic do-over would have been keeping Tate and not getting Harvin but if that was my only magic do-over then I would have run Lynch to watch him walk into the EZ and win MVP.

sdog1981

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":5a1ohzam said:
As Pitt mentioned, NE was a terrible GL defense - and it was the end of the game with them tired.

Lynch would have walked in.

My magic do-over would have been keeping Tate and not getting Harvin but if that was my only magic do-over then I would have run Lynch to watch him walk into the EZ and win MVP.

Incorrect. New England had stuffed the Seahawks on short yardage all game and Tom Cables pathetic coaching got the team stuffed on the goal line all the time. Seriously go back and look at how few short-yardage rushing TD's the team had during the Cable era.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":6j6e78hw said:
Lynch would have walked in..

...........and Brady would have had 1:42 to march down the field and either kick a FG or score to win the game. This is the part everyone forgets, our defense got GASHED the entire 4th quarter because everyone was either hurt, or exhausted.

So even if Lynch scores, still gave Brady plenty of time to score after on a Hawk's defense that hadn't Brady was having his way with the entire 2nd half.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rleg9om said:
TwistedHusky":2rleg9om said:

...........and Brady would have had 1:42 to march down the field and either kick a FG or score to win the game. This is the part everyone forgets, our defense got GASHED the entire 4th quarter because everyone was either hurt, or exhausted.

So even if Lynch scores, still gave Brady plenty of time to score after on a Hawk's defense that hadn't Brady was having his way with the entire 2nd half.

Where do you get 1:42?

I think there was like 30 seconds left when the play was run...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ndo43ct said:
Sgt. Largent":1ndo43ct said:
TwistedHusky":1ndo43ct said:

Where do you get 1:42?

I think there was like 30 seconds left when the play was run...

I was looking at this to make sure

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400749027

But after clicking on the play by play, there was only :20 seconds left...............carry on.

To answer the question, I probably would have run Lynch too. But I'm still OK with the playcall, it just wasn't executed at any level correctly. From the low snap to the high pass to Kearse missing his pick block on Butler cause he got manhandled by Browner.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That part is true.

But it wouldn't have hung over the team for the next 4 seasons. If we lost, we would have just chalked it up to Brady doing the Brady thing. (Though Earl or Kam would have probably picked him off - its the kind of ending our safeties would put on games...even injured).

Yet, at least it would not be this thing infesting the team for near 5 years that led to turmoil, doubt and rebellion.

The next year was a notoriously weak crop of SB contenders, that probably would have been ours. Denver vs Seattle in a rematch, that we likely win.

The goal here is not really to win the game, that would be icing but I am not sure the football gods would have allowed it.

The goal would be to remove one of the stupidest decisions from SB history, a decision that created divisions and problems for this team that we STILL are trying to overcome.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I hurry to the line, unlike the Seahawks did, seeming to have a problem getting the playcall in, and run it twice. There was plenty of time.

Chapow

Reaction score
It's funny that everyone seems to think that whatever play they would have called would have been the easiest TD in the history of football. The Patriots were trying to win a Super Bowl too and they seemed pretty well prepared to me.

I would have liked to see what would have happened if we would have just handed the ball to Lynch, but I think it's far from certain he would gotten in, much less walked in untouched. That's just wishful thinking.

rcaido

Reaction score
I wish Seahawks didn't go offsides and we get a safety. Wilson throws a 67yard "clean" Hail Mary TD and we win the game.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Chapow":nb3s5moc said:
It's funny that everyone seems thinks that whatever play they would have called would have been the easiest TD in the history of football. The Patriots were trying to win a Super Bowl too and they seemed pretty well prepared to me.

I would have liked to see what would have happened if we would have just handed the ball to Lynch, but I think it's far from certain he would gotten in, much less walked in untouched. That's just wishful thinking.

It's not certain that he gets in, but we had a timeout left. So if we ran Lynch like we should've and he gets stopped, we have 20 sec and 2 more downs to try again with Lynch or a rollout/bootleg run/pass option for Wilson.

This thread is also a good example how sometimes people tend to forget certain details years later after events. After the 1st down run there was 1:00 when Lynch was tackled. We then ran the clock down to 26 sec (either because it took too long to get the play in or intentionally) when the ball was snapped on 2nd down. We still had our timeout.

Fast forward to 10:40-11:05 in the video:
[youtube]i96fPP37RyA[/youtube]

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
People seemed to forget a few convenient facts. First off, they did give it to Lynch. On first down.

Second, in that season Lynch on short yardage wasn't that great.

A pass would have been fine, but it was a terrible play call designed for our worst offensive player and horribly executed.

And after all that is should have just hit the ground but that a-hole from NE made an unbelievable play on the ball.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
sdog1981":373cxb6j said:
Incorrect. New England had stuffed the Seahawks on short yardage all game and Tom Cables pathetic coaching got the team stuffed on the goal line all the time. Seriously go back and look at how few short-yardage rushing TD's the team had during the Cable era.

At the end of the game with them being exhausted and after Lynch just gashed them for 5 yards? I dont know, but I would have taken a couple of tries with Lynch rather than what was actually called.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2kkw7tuw said:
At the end of the game with them being exhausted and after Lynch just gashed them for 5 yards? I dont know, but I would have taken a couple of tries with Lynch rather than what was actually called.

With one timeout and 3 downs you have to pass on either 2nd or 3rd down.

Latest posts