Magic Do Over

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
evergreen":36p7ukvg said:
The play I would run is the stuffing of Tom Brady on the qb sneak for a safety. Then a good return to their 45. That would be followed by a quick pass over the middle to the 32. Time out. Bring in The kicker. Follow thT with immortality.

Great reply. Thought a safety was going to happen.

jeremiah

Reaction score
It was a bad read and it was caused by panic by RW. He easily could have rolled back and surveyed the field. Marshawn was wide open in the left corner. I saw it live and it was easy to read that defense before the snap.

JRobinson

Reaction score
Same exact thing. :snack:

Everyone knows what y’all should have done.... Everyone. And everyone knew what the results would have been based on the results from entire game... Everyone. You get stopped 4 times in a row? Tip your dadgum cap. Most athletes and fans have no clue as to how to do that.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Do over? Re-sign BB and keep him from going to your opponent.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JRobinson":2om2hfxc said:
Same exact thing. :snack:

Everyone knows what y’all should have done.... Everyone. And everyone knew what the results would have been based on the results from entire game... Everyone. You get stopped 4 times in a row? Tip your dadgum cap. Most athletes and fans have no clue as to how to do that.

4 times?

With 30 seconds and one timeout?

Good football there coach

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fade":2h6wknnp said:
1a) 2 by 2 Wide Stack Inside Zone to the left out of the Pistol, hand the ball to Lynch, easy TD.

1b) Sprint Right Option if you want Wilson to get the glory instead. (Run/Pass option for Wilson out of the pocket.)

Both plays would've worked so take your pick.

The Seahawks instead chose to throw to the special teams gunner into the teeth of a crowded goaline defense, and have Kearse block the most physical corner in the league, and oh yeah he knows the play and tells M.Butler to be ready for it.
It is a trust play, the QB just chucks it as soon as he gets it, he doesn't read the defense, and has to trust the receiver to run a precise route, and the other receiver to make a great block.

Utter failure. Asking a special teams gunner to run a precise route, and the other to block the most physical corner to come along in 30 years. Instead of putting the ball into your 2 best players hands Lynch & Wilson.

The dumbest playcall in sports history (given the circumstances) that people will always bring up for the rest of our lives.

The End.

Hawkstorian":2h6wknnp said:
I'm happy to see that the passage of time has let the truth sink in that we relied on a 3rd-rate bottom of the roster hack WR determine the most pivotal moment in team history and that just will never be OK. All the great players in team history from Largent all the way to Earl Thomas ... guys who are NFL legends and Ricardo F-ing Lockette was put into that moment. I think that's why so many people will never get over that we didn't give the ball to 'Shawn. No so much that running the ball seems obvious to many, but if our legend is going to be destroyed then at least let it be destroyed by an actual NFL talent.

jeremiah":2h6wknnp said:
Do over? Re-sign BB and keep him from going to your opponent.
jeremiah":2h6wknnp said:
It was a bad read and it was caused by panic by RW. He easily could have rolled back and surveyed the field. Marshawn was wide open in the left corner. I saw it live and it was easy to read that defense before the snap.

These. Excellent summary from Fade. I would only add that in my mind, in NO WAY is Ricardo Lockette responsible. The responsibility is on Bevell. Then Bevell later throws Lockette under the bus; sick, sick, sick.

And pretty much any other corner than Browner playing for NE in that situation, and the play succeeds, or at worst is incomplete. Kearse failed to push him back in a mano-y-mano duel, giving up 20 lbs. Browner knew what was coming. Just another indictment of Darrell Bevell.

I also agree that Russ got involved in a bit of panic, or, I'd call it, impatience. In Russell's mind, it was ON, it was THERE, and he wanted to throw the football BEFORE anything changed. However, Russell was so hasty in his throw, that he put the ball in a HORRIBLE place, leading to the pick. Impatience, panic, being too short (Russell also didn't see Butler lurking, screened off by the mass of bodies) Because of his impatience/panic, Russell made a hasty throw that was sloppy and not well placed, leading directly to the pick. Watch a replay, and Russell actually starts to celebrate as soon as he throws it, because in his mind, he just threw the game-winning TD. If only that were true.

This just goes back to a readiness/playcalling TOTAL FAILURE on the part of Darrell Bevell, of not taking advantage of Wilson's strengths, and trying to win with a typical Bevell stupid "They'll never expect THAT...!!" "surprise" play, that relies on multiple weaknesses making a play. #6 WR Lockette = WEAKNESS, Kearse vs Browner = WEAKNESS, Russell throwing a slant into a crowded pack in middle of line = WEAKNESS. Three weaknesses, zero strengths, no wonder the play failed. WHY THE FREAK didn't Bevell call something using one or more STRENGTHS, OK, pass instead of hand to Marshawn vs. NE's "Heavy" lineup, so roll Russell out, to right, with run-pass option, Russell's mobility = STRENGTH, Russelll's decisionmaking = STRENGTH, limited chance of horrible outcome = STRENGTH. The TD to Tre Madden vs. KC play with video posted earlier was an example of the type of play that should have been called here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Aros":1lwzqelq said:
OpHawk":1lwzqelq said:
You really want to do this?

Yes. It's a Seahawks fan forum. What else are we going to talk about? Mid-century modern design?

That would be my preference to The Play, yes, Todd.

Good God, just let it die.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell keeps the ball, running to his right, Marshawn fake dive over the line, ADB in the EZ for a toss or block for a RW run in TD.

New England had their run stop players in and had a lot of success against Marshawn that game.

But I do not throw it to Lockette. As much as I love the man, he got punked by a DB. That should have been an easy TD.

Fade

Reaction score
jeremiah":33xojtko said:

There is no read on the play. The QB gets the ball and chucks it, and trusts the receivers will execute. The QB's responsibility is similar to a smoke screen. The ball has to come out quick.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Atradees":1cfy8dbi said:
sdog1981":1cfy8dbi said:
TwistedHusky":1cfy8dbi said:
As Pitt mentioned, NE was a terrible GL defense - and it was the end of the game with them tired.

Lynch would have walked in.

My magic do-over would have been keeping Tate and not getting Harvin but if that was my only magic do-over then I would have run Lynch to watch him walk into the EZ and win MVP.

Incorrect. New England had stuffed the Seahawks on short yardage all game and Tom Cables pathetic coaching got the team stuffed on the goal line all the time. Seriously go back and look at how few short-yardage rushing TD's the team had during the Cable era.

People always overlook this when 2nd guessing. Same play but not to a WR Ricardo Lockette (Brandon Marshall) with stone hands and not warmed up.
The play call was a bad one even with if we had the correct personnel. Why was it bad? Belicheck said we ran no other play from that formation in short yardage situations. Butler, and Browner knew where the ball was going, and when it was going to be there. They may as well have been in the huddle at that point. Given that the play is over the middle this type of scenario is a nightmare.

In this situation I think another play out of that formation would have been the ideal call. Something to trip Bill Belicheck, Butler, and Browner. They were selling out hard to stop that one specific play, I think we could have pulled a fast on on them here.

We probably should have tried the run play though. We had two downs, and I believe we had a time out, and we were on what? The one?

getnasty

Reaction score
Since we're talking about things that could never happen. I would vote for a deep drop back, roll out to his right and throw a fastball right in Bradys junk.