Make No Mistake The 49ers are the Real Threat NOT the Rams

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yeah, alot of Niner fans losing their mnd over paying too much for Kwon Alexander and trading for Ford and not OBJ, but I'm actually liking what they've done.

They also just signed RB Tevin Coleman, who played for Shanahan in ATL.

Speed, Speed, and more Speed seems to be the plan on both O and D.

Should be interesting.

I think they take Bosa at 2 to pair with Ford and go WR with #36 (N'Keal Harry, AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, or Riley Ridley).

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18tsqne2 said:
With the addition of Ford and maybe grabbing Bosa in the draft, that's gonna' be a pretty legit D Line.

Especially with Buckner inside and moving Thomas inside where he should have been all along.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
So what do fellow divisional fans think about this after two weeks?

My forecast was mostly right, but what I would tweak is the Rams OLine didn't fall off as I expected, so I think it is a true 3 team race.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":p6bq07vs said:

My forecast was mostly right, but what I would tweak is the Rams OLine didn't fall off as I expected, so I think it is a true 3 team race.

I think so far so good, but losing Staley scares me.

They have the Steelers this week without Big Ben...and that actually worries me. Rudolph is an unknown. Niners just came off an emotional trip east and came back with a 2-0 record. They are feeling pretty good about themselves.

This makes me think this could be a trap game before the bye

Steelers are in danger of going 0-3. That organization ain't gonna lay down.

This will be a tougher game than I think most think.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
After 2 games over 2 crap teams. Nope. Rams are still the team to beat in the division. IF the Niners beat some quality teams, I'll be more worried.

Threedee

Reaction score
Rams still have a killer D-Line, and weapons at WR and RB. It's really just the QB who is mediocre.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1myxvlfp said:
After 2 games over 2 crap teams. Nope. Rams are still the team to beat in the division. IF the Niners beat some quality teams, I'll be more worried.

Only problem there is that a number of the teams that were termed "quality" before the season seem to not be now...like say the Steelers. Cam doesn't look like Cam anymore. The Brown got whacked in week 1. Tough to tell this early in the year who is actually any good.

As for those "crap" teams? I won't term them that way, but considering the Niners road record the last few years, I'll take 'em. :)

rjdriver

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3t2ey69v said:

I always love your optimism Soul, but I don’t think there really is such a thing as a crap team on the road. The NFL is built for parity (with a few exceptions) and beating a 1-1 east coast team 3000 miles from home and then eviscerating the same east coast team that almost spoiled our home opener on the road is formidable.

This division is pretty awesome now. Potentially three really good teams and the fourth having a very exciting rookie at QB. BUCKLE IN.

pehawk

Reaction score
Love the taek here.

But I just cant get over my hunch Kyle isnt a "leader of men". Plus that organization is still pretty rotten up top. Lynch is a boob and York's a buffoon. They'll screw something up this year.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
pehawk":20yzvb09 said:
Love the taek here.

But I just cant get over my hunch Kyle isnt a "leader of men". Plus that organization is still pretty rotten up top. Lynch is a boob and York's a buffoon. They'll screw something up this year.

Generally you are right.

Here is the thing. Kyle Shanahan is about as good as it gets when it comes to offensive play calling and design. I personally think he is the best.

So they are going to score points.

Flip it over to defense, and they hit it out of the park with Bosa, and acquired Ford. so they now have a beastley D-Line, exactly what causes problems for the Seahawks.

Shanny might not be able to lead them to a Superbowl, but he can be a thorn in the side for the division.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think that the NFL has a strange scheduling situation this year. With Berger and Brees injured, the Niners, Seahawks and Rams have combined to beat nothing but awful teams. Same for many other 2-0 teams.

And it's not getting any tougher for the Niners:

Steelers
BYE
Browns
@Rams
@Redskins
Panthers
@Cardinals
Seahawks
Cardinals

Looking at this objectively, I only see four loseable games up there for the Niners: Browns, Seahawks, @Rams, @Redskins - and that's a stretch. If they go 2-2 in those games, that would put them at 8-2 going into this crazy stretch:

Packers
@Ravens
@Saints (Brees likely back)
Falcons
Rams
@Seahawks

It's entirely possible that the Niners finish 8-8 even with their first 10 games being what they are - but I think I feel really comfortable with them at 10-6 right now.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Seahawks schedule doesn't look too bad either:

Saints
@Cardinals
Rams
@Browns
Ravens
@Falcons
Bucs
@Niners
BYE
@Eagles
Vikings
@Rams
@Panthers
Cardinals
Niners

For the Seahawks, they should be 4-0 going into the Thursday game at home against the Rams. That game will be huge for the Seahawks - based on how they've played through two weeks, I'd put them behind the Niners and Rams - the defense looks very shaky.

Seattle also drew the Eagles and Vikings, which is tough. I think 10-6 is also likely with this schedule.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I did not see the Rams going 2-0, so already ahead of what I thought. This week against the Browns will tell a lot about how this year will go - a win and the Rams will likely also be 4-0 heading to Seattle.

@Browns
Bucs
@Seahawks
Niners
@Falcons
Bengals (London)
BYE
@Steelers
Bears
Ravens
@Cardinals
Seahawks
@Cowboys
@Niners
Cardinals

Toughest games left:

@Seahawks
@Falcons
@Cowboys
@Niners

Steelers game got a lot easier, Bears don't seem like much of a threat, and while the Ravens offense looks good, Kyler throwing for 350 on them in Baltimore is sketchy.

I see dropping two of these and two other random games and a 12-4 finish.

94Smith

Reaction score
Why is Lynch a "boob"? hah! I know why York is a buffoon. Lynch built this thing. Missed a few on the way, but most Gms do.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Not even Kyle Shanahan, who I believe is the best play designer in the league, is going to be able to keep up the clinic he pulled off against the Bengals. Let’s be real here: offensively, that was mostly scheme, and no one wins that every time. Jimmy G has a lot of talent, but he is very inexperienced and will need lots of help from Shanahan, but as I said, not even the best of the best can defeat talent with scheme every weak, or always hide player weaknesses or inexperience with it.

And especially now with Joe Staley out, the 49ers might be in for a rough strech.

Bottom line: if the 49ers are going to be a .500 team or better for the next 7 games or so until Staley returns, that defense is going ro have to prove the last two games aren’t a mirage, and Dee Ford is going to need to get and stay healthy.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zfhkr8h said:
Fade":1zfhkr8h said:

I think so far so good, but losing Staley scares me.

They have the Steelers this week without Big Ben...and that actually worries me. Rudolph is an unknown. Niners just came off an emotional trip east and came back with a 2-0 record. They are feeling pretty good about themselves.

This makes me think this could be a trap game before the bye

Steelers are in danger of going 0-3. That organization ain't gonna lay down.

This will be a tougher game than I think most think.

You remind me of myself two years ago. Couldn't let myself believe the Rams might actually be legit.

Offense was never going to be a problem for the Niners with Shannahan - it was defense. And while they may not have been great teams, the 49ers beat down two teams playing their home openers - Niners could very well have a letdown (just like the Rams lost to the Redskins at home McVay's first year) - but with that schedule, the Niners will probably be 7-3 or 6-4 going into that last stretch. The defense looks pretty damn good, and if it stays that way, this is a formidable team. I think 10 wins is going to happen. Whether that's a playoff spot or not probably depends on conference record and head to head versus Seattle.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Rams, 49ers and Seahawks are a combined 6-0.

The teams they've beaten are a combined 1-5.

The only win came from the Rams beating the Saints, who had Drew Brees for their week 1 win but not their loss to the Rams.

Is the NFC West good or have NFC West teams so far just gotten lucky from playing crap teams and teams without their QBs?

So far I don't think we've learned anything about the Rams or Seahawks: we expected them to be able to beat crappy teams. What we've learned about the 9ers is that unlike the last few years they also have a shot at beating crappy teams too.

So, if you went into the season predicting that all three teams would end up around or above .500, that sounding about right is what we know so far, which ain't much.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fade":a0j09nz3 said:
pehawk":a0j09nz3 said:
Love the taek here.

Generally you are right.

Here is the thing. Kyle Shanahan is about as good as it gets when it comes to offensive play calling and design. I personally think he is the best.

So they are going to score points.

Flip it over to defense, and they hit it out of the park with Bosa, and acquired Ford. so they now have a beastley D-Line, exactly what causes problems for the Seahawks.

Shanny might not be able to lead them to a Superbowl, but he can be a thorn in the side for the division.

Agreed.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3injeseq said:
The Rams, 49ers and Seahawks are a combined 6-0.

The teams they've beaten are a combined 1-5.

The only win came from the Rams beating the Saints, who had Drew Brees for their week 1 win but not their loss to the Rams.

Is the NFC West good or have NFC West teams so far just gotten lucky from playing crap teams and teams without their QBs?

So far I don't think we've learned anything about the Rams or Seahawks: we expected them to be able to beat crappy teams. What we've learned about the 9ers is that unlike the last few years they also have a shot at beating crappy teams too.

So, if you went into the season predicting that all three teams would end up around or above .500, that sounding about right is what we know so far, which ain't much.

In reality, the teams we've beaten are a combined 2-2 if you remove the games that we've won against them.

Bucs are 1-0 against non NFC West opponents. Bengals are 0-0. Panthers are 0-1. Saints are 1-0. Steelers are 0-1.

The Rams did about what I think they should have done - but even still, all three teams have traveled across the country and won at 1pm ET.

I get what you're saying though, because many of the 2-0 teams (all except the Packers) have played bad teams to start the year.