Malik McDowell in "vehicular" accident

kidhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":c4ycqnk5 said:
MontanaHawk05":c4ycqnk5 said:
Attyla the Hawk":c4ycqnk5 said:
McDowell isn't going to make this draft. That'll fall to Pocic and Griffin. Mostly Pocic in my opinion.

I'd have to disagree. The loss of McDowell is probably going to be a bigger blow than everyone thought. Pass rush has always been the burr in our shoe whenever we've reached the playoffs, and our DL is quietly becoming less good. Either aging (Avril and Bennett, sharp drop in production in the latter half of last year), injury-prone (Jefferson), untested (Jones), or merely decent at pass rush (Rubin, Marsh, Reed), our only bright spot moving forward is Frank Clark. We are going to need new DL talent.

We'd have to know if he was any good first. He wasn't great in college.

He had 1.5, 4.5 and 1.5 sacks in college. Not exactly the answer to pass rush

He was a lot of Tackle in College. Sacks aren't the stat you look at for Tackles

Smellyman

Reaction score
kidhawk":q6kt010q said:
Smellyman":q6kt010q said:
MontanaHawk05":q6kt010q said:
Attyla the Hawk":q6kt010q said:
McDowell isn't going to make this draft. That'll fall to Pocic and Griffin. Mostly Pocic in my opinion.

I'd have to disagree. The loss of McDowell is probably going to be a bigger blow than everyone thought. Pass rush has always been the burr in our shoe whenever we've reached the playoffs, and our DL is quietly becoming less good. Either aging (Avril and Bennett, sharp drop in production in the latter half of last year), injury-prone (Jefferson), untested (Jones), or merely decent at pass rush (Rubin, Marsh, Reed), our only bright spot moving forward is Frank Clark. We are going to need new DL talent.

He was a lot of Tackle in College. Sacks aren't the stat you look at for Tackles

Just refuting he could be an answer to a pass rush.

He wasn't very good in college, is a knucklehead. The top 5 talent rhetoric drives my nuts. Maybe. He never proved it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":32e8y9ws said:
kidhawk":32e8y9ws said:
Smellyman":32e8y9ws said:
MontanaHawk05":32e8y9ws said:

Just refuting he could be an answer to a pass rush.

He wasn't very good in college, is a knucklehead. The top 5 talent rhetoric drives my nuts. Maybe. He never proved it.

But he was very good in college projected by many as a 1st round selection. He was 2nd all team American. His only real knock was that he may be immature and took plays off. His talent isn't his question mark.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
kidhawk":8ckenmii said:
Smellyman":8ckenmii said:
MontanaHawk05":8ckenmii said:
Attyla the Hawk":8ckenmii said:

If they're there you sure look at them!

But I know what you mean, many tackles, especial nose tackles, are hard to measure with stats ... unless you're looking at linebacker stats with and without them in the lineup.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Chapow":1ingumw7 said:
^^^ You know they make smaller ones for kids, right? :D

Of course, but they are always looking for an opportunity to to ride dad's. We'll be going for a week of riding and hiking next week (excuse for dad to scout elk), and I'm sure they will be asking to ride the big machine all week.

mikeak

Reaction score
From the Schneider interview........

"hopefully he gets better in the near future"
“We just want him to just get right and it’s going to be a process,”
"It’s not something that’s going to happen over night.”"

If you expect him to play this year then I would call you a very optimistic person.

massari

Reaction score
Smellyman":127cxt5d said:
MontanaHawk05":127cxt5d said:
Attyla the Hawk":127cxt5d said:

He was double teamed almost every snap and sometimes triple teamed.

His talent was/is never a question, it's his attitude because he took several plays off.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
To us "old timers" the Hawks coaching staff has to sift through a lot of "snowflakes and marshmallows" to find men who want to get serious about life at age 22. It wasn't that way when I was in college....guaranteed!

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1cijz66f said:
To us "old timers" the Hawks coaching staff has to sift through a lot of "snowflakes and marshmallows" to find men who want to get serious about life at age 22. It wasn't that way when I was in college....guaranteed!

LOL

Seymour

Reaction score
I'll give him 16 games (incl. pre season--16 weeks) to get his face together. Then he better be ready to contribute the last 4 and playoffs and I for one would give him the pass.

andyh64000

Reaction score
kidhawk":ah1lwceo said:
But he was very good in college projected by many as a 1st round selection. He was 2nd all team American. His only real knock was that he may be immature and took plays off. His talent isn't his question mark.

I think we have confirmation on the immature part.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Its crazy to me that people throw the label "immature" on a guy for riding an ATV. I guess all those critical have never hurt themselves through sports or active fun. He is young and strong. Probably has more money in his life than ever before. I for one am glad he was having fun (not everyone can be Earl Thomas and live in a closet intensely studying football 24/7 until game time). I am not glad of the result but he is only human. People are so quick to judge this guy. Maybe he is immature but IMHO this accident is not necessarily a sign of that. I don't know. Lets just all hope he gets well soon and comes back to light things up for the Hawks.

Seymour

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1x6x85k6 said:
Its crazy to me that people throw the label "immature" on a guy for riding an ATV. I guess all those critical have never hurt themselves through sports or active fun. He is young and strong. Probably has more money in his life than ever before. I for one am glad he was having fun (not everyone can be Earl Thomas and live in a closet intensely studying football 24/7 until game time). I am not glad of the result but he is only human. People are so quick to judge this guy. Maybe he is immature but IMHO this accident is not necessarily a sign of that. I don't know. Lets just all hope he gets well soon and comes back to light things up for the Hawks.

We all have gotten dinged having fun. But the real fair comparison question would be....how many of us have done this (or would do this) after JUST signing a $7 million new job contract in which our bodies condition is the critical key to our employment?

That is where the impact of the level of irresponsibility weighs in, these are dream jobs to the average Joe.

quadsas

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":sijb0kgg said:

Its downright idiotic to do what he did..he is lucky hes a Seahawk, most teams would take all his money away and probably cut him first chance they get

Seymour

Reaction score
quadsas":54z34s1u said:
Year of The Hawk":54z34s1u said:

Its downright idiotic to do what he did..he is lucky hes a Seahawk, most teams would take all his money away and probably cut him first chance they get

I am pretty sure nobody can do that. His $3.2M signing bonus is now his to keep no matter what the team decides.

seabowl

Reaction score
I know a lot on this board talk about his facial injuries however I believe it's his brain that is the real problem here. Pure speculation but he may be looking at permanent brain damage. Yes he has a concussion but I think there is much more to this then we know or think we know.

Again speculation here but this really may be a career ender.

hawk45

Reaction score
As a fan my loyalty to players is conditional on them helping the winning. What mild loyalty I do develop doesn't occur until some serious production takes place.
Thus I feel no impulse to see things from McDowell's side. He blew it. Very serious NFI is pretty rare which tells me most of these 20 year olds manage their risk off the field just fine. McDowell is either stupid, a god-awful ATV rider or cursed by the gods, I care not which.
I do think most 20 year olds would be smart enough to wait until a few million piled up but NFL players are at the high end of the pampered spectrum and the low end of the brains spectrum for 20 year olds.

If Malik had wowed me for a few years I'd feel less disgusted with him. Marshawn's DUI was every bit as stupid and probably more since it was more likely to harm someone else. But Malik is no one to me so my disdain flows unchecked.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
hawk45":3bsf3p4y said:
As a fan my loyalty to players is conditional on them helping the winning. What mild loyalty I do develop doesn't occur until some serious production takes place.
Thus I feel no impulse to see things from McDowell's side. He blew it. Very serious NFI is pretty rare which tells me most of these 20 year olds manage their risk off the field just fine. McDowell is either stupid, a god-awful ATV rider or cursed by the gods, I care not which.
I do think most 20 year olds would be smart enough to wait until a few million piled up but NFL players are at the high end of the pampered spectrum and the low end of the brains spectrum for 20 year olds.

If Malik had wowed me for a few years I'd feel less disgusted with him. Marshawn's DUI was every bit as stupid and probably more since it was more likely to harm someone else. But Malik is no one to me so my disdain flows unchecked.

I agree. I started flying jets at age 23. At the beginning of our training, we were told which medicines we could take, which extracurricular activities we could do, what our sleep cycle would be, among other things. I took this information seriously and I tailored my activities accordingly.

To train an F-16 pilot costs roughly $7 million. In my flying career I've racked up more than $22,000,000 in flight time ($20,000 a flight hour x 1,100 F-16 hours).

When you are involved in a high risk/high reward sport or profession, you have to recognize that the difference between being a player and riding the proverbial bench is often a conscious choice.