Marsh and McEvoy won't make the 53 (speculation)

Optimus25

Reaction score
^
^
Pete isn't some random dummy who just holds on to trash because he's sentimental. He is incredibly well versed on what kinds of players are '' gamers''. When he finds one he holds on for dear life because his system fits this style much better than the desean Jackson style of athlete. ADB, gamer. Russ, gamer. And when you have made the top four catches in franchise history, you are indeed a gamer. Many of the players you may be thinking of were experimental in nature and certainly never proved themselves to fit Pete's mold. But guess what?. Kearse has in spades.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2m4dfmc2 said:
Seahwkgal":2m4dfmc2 said:
Whoever can play ST and also downfield block makes the team. This is a fact that Kearse haters do not understand. Kearse is a beast at downfield blocking.
Anyways, Marsh is going nowhere. McEvoy; I honestly haven't seen enough game tape of his blocking or ST play to make a call on him yet.

Can you give some examples of Kearse being a '"beast" at "downfield" blocking?

Don't you remember the SB against the Patriots when he pancaked BB allowing Lockette to catch the winning TD?

Kearse is the most mediocre average #2 in the entire NFL, the only reason he's still on this team is we haven't drafted or picked up in FA a dependable replacement.........so Pete just keeps trotting him out there.

Until now, both Williams and Darboh are more complete, and more importantly actually bring something special to the position. If both stay healthy and produce these last two pre-season games I wouldn't be shocked if Kearse is cut.

Mojambo

Reaction score
McEvoy probably won't, but I think Marsh is pretty close to a lock based on special teams impact alone.

peppersjap

Reaction score
So blown away by how everyone remembers the catch Kearse made in the NFC championship game vs GB but seem to forget the multiple interceptions he caused that almost lost us the game! He needs to go this year and can't believe people think Richardson should be cut!!!

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
peppersjap":1ydib2rp said:
So blown away by how everyone remembers the catch Kearse made in the NFC championship game vs GB but seem to forget the multiple interceptions he caused that almost lost us the game! He needs to go this year and can't believe people think Richardson should be cut!!!

Andrew Luck syndrome......"Look at all of the comebacks that Luck has engineered!" Completely ignoring the four crap turnovers he made that put them behind in the first place.

massari

Reaction score
peppersjap":1jxoghg9 said:
And an added bonus is that it opens $2.2M in cap room if Kearse is released. I'll be disappointed if he makes the team ahead of Darboh, McEvoy, Williams and Moore.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
peppersjap":2vw7dvsy said:

I will never forget that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like the guy, but he was horrific in the NFC Championship game. One catch on a perfectly thrown ball doesn't make for a great game. And he did next to nothing last year. And we all can see how he is in the red zone. Rarely comes down with a jump ball, RARELY.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
massari":1ay1mfk9 said:
peppersjap":1ay1mfk9 said:
And an added bonus is that it opens $2.2M in cap room if Kearse is released. I'll be disappointed if he makes the team ahead of Darboh, McEvoy, Williams and Moore.

None of whom have proven a thing in steady gametime against NFL-caliber competition.

Kearse has. He may have nearly cost us that NFCCG, and he may have had a down year in 2016. But believe it or not, that's still more than any of the other four guys have proven. There's no guarantee that any of them would be better than Kearse.

razor150

Reaction score
peppersjap":1qrelyc0 said:

I think I am the only one that brought up Richardson, but it has been a while since I read the entire thread. I am not a proponent of cutting Richardson, in fact I am very much against it. However I do think that if Pete decides to go with a younger player at WR he will be deciding between dropping Kearse or Richardson. I think we could probably find a trade partner for Richardson so we might be able to get some value for him, but no one is going to trade for Kearse and his contract isn't very cut friendly.

I also remember the NFC Championship game, and I remind people all the time of Kearse creating the problem in the first place.

King Dog

Reaction score
massari":td60ixh5 said:
peppersjap":td60ixh5 said:

No it doesn't

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Kearse is like Darrell Bevell in WR form. He's completely useless 99% of the time, and then he'll make a great catch, causing some fans to suddenly forget he sucked all year.

massari

Reaction score
King Dog":1lgfz6zy said:
massari":1lgfz6zy said:
peppersjap":1lgfz6zy said:

No it doesn't
Yeah it does

two dog

Reaction score
I'm afraid the OP is right about McEvoy and I hate to see it happen.

Darbo, like another gifted athlete C.J. Procise, seems to have a problem of availability.
Coming up on the third game of preseason nobody knows what he can do when the
bell rings because he always seems to have his bell rung.

I would love for the kid to have big game against KC and prove me totally wrong.
Marsh? Pencil him in.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Both are bubble guys. They either fill the final spot for their respective position or they just miss out. It's really just a case of if someone can beat them out. McEvoy will be in a race for the last 2 WR spots alongside guys like Kasen, Darboh and Kenny. Don't know how that will pan out. Marsh probably depends on if he's seen as D-Line or LB right now. LB probably has too much depth to keep him on the 53 but the injury to McDowell would probably be enough to give him a spot as the final D-lineman.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mtdx3jy said:
FlyHawksFly":2mtdx3jy said:
Seahwkgal":2mtdx3jy said:
Whoever can play ST and also downfield block makes the team. This is a fact that Kearse haters do not understand. Kearse is a beast at downfield blocking.
Anyways, Marsh is going nowhere. McEvoy; I honestly haven't seen enough game tape of his blocking or ST play to make a call on him yet.

Can you give some examples of Kearse being a '"beast" at "downfield" blocking?

Don't you remember the SB against the Patriots when he pancaked BB allowing Lockette to catch the winning TD?

Beat me to it. Brandon Browner of the Patriots treated Kearse like a rag doll on that play.
To be fair, that's a tough matchup for any receiver and Kearse was giving up 20-30 lbs going against Browner, who is basically a linebacker. Watch Youtube videos of Browner destroying Cam Newton, or of Browner destroying 3 Panthers on a punt return (IIRC, punt, not kickoff), or of Browner stripping the other big Panthers RB at the goal line. Then tell me that Browner's not a tough, tough physical matchup for any NFL WR, never mind TE's.

Still, if Kearse were a "Beast" in blocking, he would have managed to slow Browner down a bit more than the "not at all" that he did, on that SB-losing int by Malcolm Butler. Capable, yes, if not grossly overmatched, Beast, no, or at least only against cornerbacks he outweighs.

Golden Tate's block on Sean Lee, now that was beastly, but it was also one where he caught Lee unprepared, so not consistently repeatable. (But a great highlight to watch :) )

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2xdek0hs said:
Kearse is like Darrell Bevell in WR form. He's completely useless 99% of the time, and then he'll make a great catch, causing some fans to suddenly forget he sucked all year.
:lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
you forget that Browner also had forward momentum, Kearse could not move without a penalty, I would also say that we hardly ever do a lot of snap count manipulation, Browner had a good guess of the snap as well. Try stopping a guy Browners size flat food when he is moving forward on you.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
massari":1k3l67ew said:
King Dog":1k3l67ew said:
massari":1k3l67ew said:

No it doesn't
Yeah it does

No it doesn't.

Cutting Kearse frees up $366,666