Marshawn for HOF

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Rat":3vxg9z7b said:
RunTheBall":3vxg9z7b said:
Rat":3vxg9z7b said:
Great player, but I don't see it. No MVP's, no All-Pros, and I don't believe he has ever led the league in anything.
Then why is Jerome Bettis a HOF candidate? Bettis was a league average RB his entire career.

I don't think he should be. He only had 2-3 seasons out of something like 12-15 where he was an elite player. The only thing he ever led the league in was the one time he was the leader in carries. He was a bust for the team that drafted him.

Bettis defines compiler. If he gets in, he's the worst HOFer since Art Monk, and probably the worst ever.

For his awards he is a 6 time pro bowler, 3 time all pro (including 1 being his rookie year), offensive rookie of the year, NFL comeback player of the year, Walter Peyton man of the year winner.

He was far from a bust for the rams when he was drafted. After they moved to St Louis their new head coach went to a very pass heavy offense. This limited the use of their running game which allowed him in the following year to get traded tot he Steelers.

First team all pro and offensive rookie of the year in his first year with the Rams and back to back 1000+ yard seasons to start his carreer before they hired the pass heavy coach. Once with the Steelers he ran for 1000+ for his first 6 seasons with them.

Not going to say if he should or shouldn't be in the HoF but god why cant some people double check what they are saying before they post.

Tical21

Reaction score
The Bus was f'n dominant. And did it well for a long time.

I don't think the story on Marshawn can be written yet. I don't see anything from his current trend to let me know he can't be a similar player for a couple more years. Another Super Bowl and two more years at his current production level, I think he's knocking on the door. I don't see a HOFer, but he's getting closer and closer every game.

Rat

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":3t3qhn9s said:
Rat":3t3qhn9s said:
RunTheBall":3t3qhn9s said:
Rat":3t3qhn9s said:
Great player, but I don't see it. No MVP's, no All-Pros, and I don't believe he has ever led the league in anything.
Then why is Jerome Bettis a HOF candidate? Bettis was a league average RB his entire career.

I don't think he should be. He only had 2-3 seasons out of something like 12-15 where he was an elite player. The only thing he ever led the league in was the one time he was the leader in carries. He was a bust for the team that drafted him.

Bettis defines compiler. If he gets in, he's the worst HOFer since Art Monk, and probably the worst ever.

For his awards he is a 6 time pro bowler, 3 time all pro (including 1 being his rookie year), offensive rookie of the year, NFL comeback player of the year, Walter Peyton man of the year winner.

He was far from a bust for the rams when he was drafted. After they moved to St Louis their new head coach went to a very pass heavy offense. This limited the use of their running game which allowed him in the following year to get traded tot he Steelers.

First team all pro and offensive rookie of the year in his first year with the Rams and back to back 1000+ yard seasons to start his carreer before they hired the pass heavy coach. Once with the Steelers he ran for 1000+ for his first 6 seasons with them.

Not going to say if he should or shouldn't be in the HoF but god why cant some people double check what they are saying before they post.

I said nothing that wasn't true. He had one good season for the Rams. Do you think the Rams would select him that high again knowing what they were getting from him? That's a bust.

1000 yard seasons are a sign of a good RB. Elite RB? 1000 yards in a season is below the floor.

I'm not saying he was awful. I think the HOF should be reserved for the elite of the elite. No way Bettis is anywhere near the elites who have played.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
I never said anything about him being elite. We can agree to disagree on what we consider a bust for the team that drafted him. Hell I don't even like the guy.

Rat

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2pxcv3qu said:
I never said anything about him being elite. We can agree to disagree on what we consider a bust for the team that drafted him. Hell I don't even like the guy.
This is a thread about the HOF.

I tend to have a broader definition of what qualifies as a bust than most. I don't care if it's because of injury or whatever (I know a lot of people believe Steve Emtman and Chris McIntosh weren't busts, which is crap), if a guy doesn't perform to the expectations from when he was drafted, he's a bust. I don't think you can use the #6 pick in the draft on a RB, get one highly productive season and a few disappointing seasons, trade him for a 2nd rounder, and then say he wasn't a poor pick for that team.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Rat":3r6rctx9 said:
Bigbadhawk":3r6rctx9 said:
This is a thread about the HOF.

I tend to have a broader definition of what qualifies as a bust than most. I don't care if it's because of injury or whatever (I know a lot of people believe Steve Emtman and Chris McIntosh weren't busts, which is crap), if a guy doesn't perform to the expectations from when he was drafted, he's a bust. I don't think you can use the #6 pick in the draft on a RB, get one highly productive season and a few disappointing seasons, trade him for a 2nd rounder, and then say he wasn't a poor pick for that team.

Yes it is a topic about the HoF but your the one that posted "Great player, but I don't see it. No MVP's, no All-Pros, and I don't believe he has ever led the league in anything." when it was a little misinformation. I was posting what he did accomplish for the sake of the argument so others were aware what he did do.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
For the record I do not believe Beast has done enough for quality for the HoF. He is lacking a couple more solid years including his 2009 and 2010 stats arent helping him much. I don't believe Bettis is HoF material either and I think Shaun is borderline HoF. The one recent running back that is a HoF lock for me is LaDainian Tomlinson

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Tical21":1gej4ln6 said:

I don't think the story on Marshawn can be written yet. I don't see anything from his current trend to let me know he can't be a similar player for a couple more years. Another Super Bowl and two more years at his current production level, I think he's knocking on the door. I don't see a HOFer, but he's getting closer and closer every game.
3.9 YPC career is not dominant.

Rat

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2kftjwze said:
Yes it is a topic about the HoF but your the one that posted "Great player, but I don't see it. No MVP's, no All-Pros, and I don't believe he has ever led the league in anything." when it was a little misinformation. I was posting what he did accomplish for the sake of the argument so others were aware what he did do.

I said that about Marshawn, not Bettis.

Thanks for bringing up the 3.9 YPC though. I usually mention that when Steeler fans talk about Bettis and the HOF, but forgot in this one. I realize Bettis was often used in goal line and short yardage situations, which is going to hurt his average, but that's still unacceptably low for a HOF candidate.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Rat":1xec04b9 said:
Bigbadhawk":1xec04b9 said:

Thanks for bringing up the 3.9 YPC though. I usually mention that when Steeler fans talk about Bettis and the HOF, but forgot in this one. I realize Bettis was often used in goal line and short yardage situations, which is going to hurt his average, but that's still unacceptably low for a HOF candidate.

My apologies then on my confusion.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Rat":c6qrjy48 said:
Bigbadhawk":c6qrjy48 said:

Yep, look at Steven Jackson's career numbers, is really any worse than Bettis?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Tical21":6gz9zclb said:

If you think Bettis was "dominant", you need to learn the meaning of said word before using it in a sentence. He was far from dominant. He was three yards and a cloud of dust his entire career. If they needed a yard, he'd get three. If they needed five yards, he'd get three. He was consistent and he had a lot of carries, but he was far from dominant.

Reaction score
Iam afraid he's another Edgar Martinez, one of the best players of his time, but not enough years in the leauge.
Also doesn't fit into typical mold of players that get the nod. He will become a legend after he retires, and like Edgar will be recalled with great respect,and admiration by his peers.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Curious, do you think Lynch becomes a part of our Ring of Honor? He has been here just under 5 full seasons but he also bring a attitude and identity to the team that helped get us our first ring.

el capitan

Reaction score
This is why I don't like the HOF, they put way too much emphasis on stats and not enough on character.
The HOF should be a way to remember great players from the past, players you still talk about a generation or two after they've retired, players you tell your kids about when they ask what the NFL was like back in your day.

Kenny Easley is a perfect example of this most fundamental flaw in the HOF selection system. Had he played another three or four years he would have been in by now, probably first ballot. Nearly twenty years after he was forced to retire people still regard him as one of the greatest safetys to ever play the game so really what difference should those extra 3 or 4 seasons make to the HOF selection committee? Kenny Easley was then and is now a legend and exactly the kind of player worth enshrining in the Hall of Fame.

Everything about Marshawn Lynch, to me, screams HOF. Ever since the Beastquake run he has dominated the NFL. Football fans should be going to Canton in twenty years and watching highlight reels of him bouncing off multiple tackles and running through linebackers to get to the endzone. He is a unique RB who stood out as one of the most important offensive players (non-QB) of his era and that should mean as much as any stats when it comes to selection to the Hall of Fame.
He doesn't have, and probably never will have, good enough stats to be considered for the HOF but he is definitely worth remembering.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Lol @ Shaun Alexander being a lock to get in the HOF. Bwhahaha

themunn

Reaction score
If Curtis Martin can get into the HoF, so can Jerome Bettis IMO.

It takes a lot of ability and effort to play over 200 career games (including playoffs), let alone at the running back position. Lynch is at about 115 I think (including playoffs again).

Lynch needs a few more years before he is HoF worthy - at the moment I think Alexander still has a better chance because he did it for just a little longer and has better overall stats - arguments over rushing ability aside.

Lynch has shown himself to be an all-time elite runner in the playoffs (2nd all-time rushing average behind Terrell Davis among backs with over 100 carries), so if the Seahawks can win another superbowl this year with Lynch as the key member, that might be enough, but with another 2-3 years of playing time (which I think he is more than capable of) he'll have a much much better chance.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IMO:

Bettis, no.
Curtis Martin, no
Alexander, no
Lynch, at this point, no. But with 2 more really good years (at his age not real likely I'm afriad) and more high level team success, then yes.

Threedee

Reaction score
I f he comes back next year, and Seattle pulls of the threepeat, then he'll be the centerpiece of NFL history being made. That's how the 70s Steelers did it for their stars.