Marshawn Lynch on Wilson and Pete Carroll

keasley45

Reaction score
The video of Marshawn with Shannon Sharpe is worth actually watching. Many issues were brought up and Marshawn gives a great view of his perspective. Some posters here have clearly not taken the time to actually watch the entire interview. either that, or they have zero comprehension. Marshawn brought up a good point about 49. What if they had won? Now you might have guys that would take a discount just to stick around and try to earn a third ring. He also says that Pete and Bevell each told him that it was the other guy that made the call for the worst play in football history. So, Pete takes the blame publicly, then tells Marshawn that it was Bevell? Which statement do you think is the lie? Take the time, watch the video.
what you said about folks needing to watch the video...

The thing that amazes me that Russ supporters seemingly dont want to ackowledge, is how tactful each player whos been interviewed about the Russ situation handles the questions. They provide enough background and framing that saying exactly WHO and WHAT (which would be easier, but more direct an indictment of Russ) isnt important.

An example

Marshawn makes a point to bring up the importance of accountability in a story where he did the wrong thing on a play when playing with A Rod at UC Berkley that resulted in a TD anyway. He emphasized the fact that his coach chewed him out because regardless of whether or not he scored on the play, he ran the wrong way and it wasnt acceptable. Accountability, that thing they all emphasize over and over again.

He also then made the point that A Rod had his back and took the blame.

And... that A Rod was the best QB he ever played with.

keasley45

Reaction score
And i think the bigger nugget in the phone call story is that what Marshawn's account speaks to is a divide between Russ and the guys around him based on what sounds like Russ not taking well falling short of media adoration. he said that in that game against Tennessee, that Russ was being pumped up in the media to have a huge game. It was expected. But instead, Lynch was the story. That was the impetus behind the call in the first place because Russ was down about it. - Lynch making it a point to say that team is more important than individual accolades and that he'd expect that if he had a down game, that Russ and others would be there to pick up the slack. And apparently in conversations with Russ after the event, he had an 'atypical' reponse to Lynch's offer of support.

That speaks to the animous thats been discussed between Russ, Lynch the LOB and others on the team. The team was embracing Russ, a young qb who was good, but not always playing to the level he maybe could have, and Russ, turned the support away. And then, as Lynch reports again - Russ was making mistakes and protected from criticism.

If you take that account, and then tie it to (as one example) Russ's words (when he left and he was free of Seattle) about carrying the team... this story is a psychologists wet dream. Russ obviously carried resentment. It was obvious the year before in post game press conferences when he tossed the D under the bus.

This character that Russ displayed was there from the beginning. The game that Lynch references in the story about the blocked call - 2013.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
That "wrong call" argument never got much traction with me, as I could always see the other side(s) of the argument. But it got a lot more traction with me after seeing KJ's podcast with Luke Willson, where Luke explained there were a couple other plays that had been prepared for just such a scenario. Plays that sounded like they had much greater chances of success than the one that was actually called. So now I'm down to what the hell was Bevell thinking?

Aircrew

Reaction score
I quit watching the team and posting here for two full seasons because I couldn't stand to watch Russell Wilson play football. It was the most frustrating thing in the world to watch that man get idolized for his mediocre play. I almost abandoned pro football completely. Perhaps the reason that I am the biggest Geno fan in the world is because he represents the end of Russell Wilson in Seattle. Geno gave me my fandom back. If the team brings in another persistent "off script" QB, I will abandon my fandom again....until he is gone. I despise that brand of inconsistent, unpredictable, unreliable football.
Dude, massive virtual fist bump. Well said, every word.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wilson didn't block Lynch number. Wilson called him and he either dialed *67 to make his number private/block or he has his phone set to private which will have either private or block calls on the receiver caller id. It's also possible he called his carrier and requested to have his phone be set to private when he first got his phone and has been calling anomalously ever since.

There are always the other side of the story but I can see how someone can be offended by it. Would Lynch still feel offended if Wilson makes calls privately to everyone?

I also checked Wilson's stats that game vs the Titans.

Wilson was 23/31 w/ 74.2% completion 257yards passing 60yards rushing 98.5 rating. Not exactly a bad game

Seahawks were 5-1 and this was one of Wilson better games at the time.
Hmm?, so 23/31 w/74.2% completion 257 yards says Wilson didn't need Marshawn's Comradery?
Marshawn's attacking style of play helped A BUNCH in keeping the Dawgs from just pinning their ears back and teeing off on Wilson.
Defenses had to pick their poison on who was going to run with the ball, and yes Russ was a threat to run, but without Marshawn, he would NOT have had near the success that he had back then (See 2022 Russ/Denver)

toffee

Reaction score
He also then made the point that A Rod had his back and took the blame.

And... that A Rod was the best QB he ever played with.
When it comes to best QBs that they ever played with, Marshawn nominated A Rod, Tate cited for Stafford, Angry only mentioned TJax in his retirement.

Just to wonder what Geg Olsen, Jimmy Graham and S Rice would say.

keasley45

Reaction score
I quit watching the team and posting here for two full seasons because I couldn't stand to watch Russell Wilson play football. It was the most frustrating thing in the world to watch that man get idolized for his mediocre play. I almost abandoned pro football completely. Perhaps the reason that I am the biggest Geno fan in the world is because he represents the end of Russell Wilson in Seattle. Geno gave me my fandom back. If the team brings in another persistent "off script" QB, I will abandon my fandom again....until he is gone. I despise that brand of inconsistent, unpredictable, unreliable football.

Amen. I never knew the truth until I saw it first hand at a game in Seattle. The entire game was just unbelievably disorganized on Offense and success depended on Russ running around and finding someone. That was 2016. Its when i realized that the 3 and out futility wed see early on in halves / games wasnt a backwards ass scheme. It was the OC trying to get the QB to actualy run the scheme and then, when we were behind or mired, the qb just scrapping what he was supposed to do (and couldnt) and doing his own thing... and admittedly making magic. But the 'magic' was too unpredictable and the risk curve wayyyy high. Why coukdnt we ever just run a normal offense???

Then 2017 was a mulligan season. And then in 2019 when Schotty came on, I thought, ok, maybe it was Bevell, and Russ really can play better. That season was ok. Then 2020... and the wheels slowly fell off.

Now, I'm just glad he's gone and that we can watch if not perfect qb'ing every week, at the very least adiscernabke strategy, high level skill, and 11 guys playing as a team. Not 10 guys scrambling around waiting for 1 to decide what he's gonna do with the ball 75% of the time.

It also feels good watching play out for some other franchise what you thought was going down here. Watching
... from a distance. With a beverage in hand and a smile.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Probably take some flack for this - but honestly - I really wish at this point that 48 and 49 stories and yarns and the 10th anniversary behind the scenes stuff - who said what and who dissed who - would just stop.

The only thing I've really learned from this exchange is that Lynch was far more of a discipline case than we knew. Also, I'm pretty sure that all the locker room division and shit started after the 'blocked call' incident - and it was right after that that RW wasn't 'black enough' - which Lynch started. He got 'dissed' - so he got pissed. Got it.

Other than that - I'm just tired of the whole narrative. It's more and more like Junior High School with money to me at this point.

Appropriate Ferris Bueller quote that sums it up nicely: “My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.”

Save Ferris!!!!!

And you could say - just ignore it and scroll by. And that's a valid point. I'll try harder to scroll by the next one ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
Probably take some flack for this - but honestly - I really wish at this point that 48 and 49 stories and yarns and the 10th anniversary behind the scenes stuff - who said what and who dissed who - would just stop.

The only thing I've really learned from this exchange is that Lynch was far more of a discipline case than we knew. Also, I'm pretty sure that all the locker room division and shit started after the 'blocked call' incident - and it was right after that that RW wasn't 'black enough' - which Lynch started. He got 'dissed' - so he got pissed. Got it.

Other than that - I'm just tired of the whole narrative. It's more and more like Junior High School with money to me at this point.

Appropriate Ferris Bueller quote that sums it up nicely: “My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.”

Save Ferris!!!!!

And you could say - just ignore it and scroll by. And that's a valid point. I'll try harder to scroll by the next one ;)

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.

Save Ferris!!!!!

I feel you. I think the strangest element is how many of the fans seem to revel in all this bullshit. Folks dapping posts with heart eye emojis and everything. Some of these mfers would be better suited writing a book or 3.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Amen. I never knew the truth until I saw it first hand at a game in Seattle. The entire game was just unbelievably disorganized on Offense and success depended on Russ running around and finding someone. That was 2016. Its when i realized that the 3 and out futility wed see early on in halves / games wasnt a backwards ass scheme. It was the OC trying to get the QB to actualy run the scheme and then, when we were behind or mired, the qb just scrapping what he was supposed to do (and couldnt) and doing his own thing... and admittedly making magic. But the 'magic' was too unpredictable and the risk curve wayyyy high. Why coukdnt we ever just run a normal offense???

Then 2017 was a mulligan season. And then in 2019 when Schotty came on, I thought, ok, maybe it was Bevell, and Russ really can play better. That season was ok. Then 2020... and the wheels slowly fell off.

Now, I'm just glad he's gone and that we can watch if not perfect qb'ing every week, at the very least adiscernabke strategy, high level skill, and 11 guys playing as a team. Not 10 guys scrambling around waiting for 1 to decide what he's gonna do with the ball 75% of the time.

It also feels good watching play out for some other franchise what you thought was going down here. Watching
And I'll add, that Wilson's "Magic" was not just unpredictable, it was unsustainable-> (see 2022 Wilson/Broncos folly).
What I'm getting tired of hearing, is all the Russ-Fans dissin' others for pointing out RW's flaws, I mean Yeah, he's gone and we've supposedly moved on, so why is it that whenever his name gets brought up nowadays, that all the 'Wilson Apologists' want to do is end discussions by saying "that ship has sailed"? (well that is except when) they want to emphasize an RW positive....Folks, "The Tail Goes With The Hyde"
"Good goes with the bad"
I'm not one bit ungrateful for his contributions early on, but RW IS/WAS NOT FLAWLESS.

Last edited:

LastRideOut

Reaction score
And I'll add, that Wilson's "Magic" was unsustainable-> (see 2022 Wilson/Broncos folly).
What I'm getting tired of hearing, is all the Russ-Fans dissin' others for pointing out RW's flaws, I mean Yeah, he's gone and we've supposedly moved on, so why is it that whenever his name gets brought up nowadays, that all the 'Wilson Apologists' want to do is end discussions by saying "that ship has sailed"? (well that is except when) they want to emphasize an RW positive....Folks, "The Tail Goes With The Hyde"
"Good goes with the bad"
I'm not one bit ungrateful for his contributions early on, but RW IS NOT FLAWLESS.

Even some on the Bronco forums are getting tired of the "russ groupies".

GemCity

Reaction score
I don't care what anybody says, I stand my ground. It was a horrible call. You have a 2nd year and shortest QB in the league throwing a short pass over and through players much taller and bigger than him to a receiver running a crossing route in heavy traffic just beyond the goal line. If you were going to throw a pass there, it should have been something like RW rolling out and only throwing a pass that a Seahawk receiver could catch, or you throw it away. You still have two downs, and a TO remaining.

And, of course, they could have just handed it off to ML instead and if he doesn't make it, you still have that TO remaining.

How could that play have been the default call?

Bad call, ill-advised pass, memory that just won't die.
I just don’t see how you have a guy whose nickname is literally BEASTMODE….and you pass there.
You’re right….it won’t die. Shit still hurts.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I've never taken a bigger L as a fan than I did after slurping Russ at the start of 2020.

It was apparent by midseason that I'd been had, and it was at that moment that I was out. I was ready to take the trade haul as soon as financially feasible.

GemCity

Reaction score
I've never taken a bigger L as a fan than I did after slurping Russ at the start of 2020.

It was apparent by midseason that I'd been had, and it was at that moment that I was out. I was ready to take the trade haul as soon as financially feasible.
Some of us….caught on way after you.

Guilty.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Some of us….caught on way after you.

Guilty.
Hey man, we all got kinda fooled at different points with the guy. It's hard to separate from the guy who was under center for the most glorious moments in franchise history. It doesn't make sense on the surface.

At the beginning of 2020, when Let Russ Cook was in full swing, I was all-in. I was astounded. I was doubting it all - was Pete actually really holding him back? Was he really just waiting to be unleashed?

Then the Vikings parked two safeties high in that one game, and it just... befuddled him. Teams that disguised pressure and put a bunch of dudes on the lines and in the A-gap... befuddled. The 5-point performance against the Giants. The playoff stinker. It all came crashing down. It started to make sense - this is why Pete didn't embrace it. He kept it balanced to PROTECT Russ from the back half of 2020.

And then Russell's response was to pout and bitch about not being able to throw it 80% of the time, instead of embracing a balanced philosophy to keep the team competitive.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
You're kidding, right? ;)

Boo birds a plenty in his 'homecoming' last year!!!

Well deserved sir. Well deserved.

SMH @ the comments on that video by people who acted all disappointed by the boos directed at Wilson. They do know that Wilson acted like a primadonna and demanded out of Seattle, don't they?

strohmin

Reaction score
Over 3,000 yards, passer rating of 100 and 26 TD's......and numerous amazing plays with his feet and football savvy.

You grossly underestimate how important Russ was to winning that SB year. Including the SB itself. Many great throws.
Russ during the first superbowl was amazing but I would argue he got exposed during the playoffs of the second superbowl and kept getting worse from them. It felt like he started out legendary and peaked during the superbowl but then started losing his magic after that. Coincidently he divorced his first wife and im not sure whether that affected him or not. He was not as good during the season after the divorce if you look at the stats from each game that season.