Marshawn Lynch on Wilson and Pete Carroll

keasley45

Reaction score
He was one of the winningest QB's in history over his first 8 seasons. He was a stone-cold killer when the game was on the line. One of the best finishers in the history of the game, period.
They moved on, they fleeced Denver, mission accomplished.
Grow up
Move on
Get over it

Wins aren't attributable to a single player.

He WAS a killer when the game was on the line. What frustrated the LOB and others like ADB was that the games shouldn't have been on the line, and that he wasn't a killer for vast stretches of the rest of games, save for throwing high percentage of completion passes. 67% completion rate ? CHECK ! First down on 3rd and 8? 'We'll get'em in the 4th qtr... KEEP ON BELIEVING.. RAH RAH RAH'.

I mean, we had a generationally great defense that was utterly dominant (kind of like Denver last year). And we STILL had to be in dogfights and rely on 2 minute drill heroics. And BTW, we also had a generational talent at RB. A player so good that Beast Mode is now a word in Websters. And ADB? The dude was as good a receiver as you could want on any team - who would no doubt have achieved more on another team with a better passing game.

And yet, we STILL had to win games in comeback mode and by 1 score.

Our D led the league in scoring for how many years consecutively?

THATS why people are upset. That's why the LOB left the way they did.

But Russ got his stats, and parlayed them into a 1/4 billion dollar payday..

And I'd wager Geno has helped folks see that what ailed the offense back then wasn't a desire to 'play it close' in the 4th because that's what Pete wanted, or to just run 2/3rds of the time... because that's what Pete wanted. The offense did what it did because of who facilitated it.

Same way it does now in Denver.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I never once said he was the only reason they won. Not once. He was a HUGE part of it. I'm not going down this silly road again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Maybe we need to put this on the back burner and just let it stew once again. LOLOL
Seriously though, it seems like everybody wants to point to THEIR reasonings for why things went to hell in a handbasket, and then end the discussion...Minds locked, keys swallowed.
I do get the exasperations with this resolve-less & endless circle, I really do. LOL

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, good point. I think the horse has been dead for a long while. I'll gladly bow out. Not even worth it. We all have our opinions on stuff, and that's cool.

Go Hawks

keasley45

Reaction score
Let's not pretend that Wilson isn't one of the biggest stories in the league right now for how perplexing his performance has been (stats vs results) and hiw absolutley terrible he was last year. Add to that, the fact that his former teammates are opening up about their perspective on him and the SB team, and his current coach each week seems to add fuel to the fire... the horse isn't dead. It's staggering around, lost in Denver.

This latest discussion isn't a bump of a dead thread. It exists, because the topic is very much alive and will be as long as the plot around #3 continues to thicken, whether by his own hand, his performance in Denver or his teammates continuing to come out to reveal facts (not opinions) around what happened during his time here.

It's said all the time that he was the best qb and arguably one of the best players the franchise has had. Seems kind of silly to try to NOT talk about him and the drama swirling around him. It's not our fault he's made the topic of conversation what he has. And at long last, the more information that is added to the story, the less any of it is opinion, and the true facts of what was and is are revealed. When those facts are to the point where they are obvious, there will be little left to discuss. But until then, and as we are given more information, Russ, for better or worse, is a relevant topic.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Let's not pretend that Wilson isn't one of the biggest stories in the league right now for how perplexing his performance has been (stats vs results) and hiw absolutley terrible he was last year. Add to that, the fact that his former teammates are opening up about their perspective on him and the SB team, and his current coach each week seems to add fuel to the fire... the horse isn't dead. It's staggering around, lost in Denver.

This latest discussion isn't a bump of a dead thread. It exists, because the topic is very much alive and will be as long as the plot around #3 continues to thicken, whether by his own hand, his performance in Denver or his teammates continuing to come out to reveal facts (not opinions) around what happened during his time here.

It's said all the time that he was the best qb and arguably one of the best players the franchise has had. Seems kind of silly to try to NOT talk about him and the drama swirling around him. It's not our fault he's made the topic of conversation what he has. And at long last, the more information that is added to the story, the less any of it is opinion, and the true facts of what was and is are revealed. When those facts are to the point where they are obvious, there will be little left to discuss. But until then, and as we are given more information, Russ, for better or worse, is a relevant topic.
I don't think the angst about RW will ever go away, (myself included) both sides of the argue aisle are on auto pilot, determined to defend their position without waver.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I don't think the angst about RW will ever go away, (myself included) both sides of the argue aisle are on auto pilot, determined to defend their position without waver.
At least until we somehow land a quarterback good enough to win us another Super Bowl without having a historically elite defense.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I just can't help but think about how after SB 49 there were a lot of people who tried to play it off like there was no locker room issues since then and that the media and fans were just blowing it up out of proportion. That all the players were professional athletes and wouldn't let emotions get the best of them...is that now finally put to rest and we can acknowledge that professional NFL players are emotional 20 year olds who just have way more money and talent than typical human beings, but probably the same emotions as the rest of us?

morgulon1

Reaction score

Agreed.
Why would the leagues most dominant defense with arguably the best RB need to have late game heroics to win?

It's so simple.

Dangerwich. I've rewatched many games from. These glorious few years and it's so clear to me now. #3 couldn't stay on script (schedule) to save his life . His height impeeded his seeing the field and he didn't have the confidence to set up shop and go through his routes . He couldn't plant, move up in the pocket and fire. He also couldn't pass out of taking a snap under center . That's not good.

As much as Carroll gets on my nerves at times , I have to give him credit for doing what he did in spite of having bat-mite for a QB.

I'll probably post about this again.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Agreed.
Why would the leagues most dominant defense with arguably the best RB need to have late game heroics to win?

Seriously if you think about just how stacked the defense was for those years as well as the capable RB and TE/WR core. Team should have been blowing out every team they played. I know there were complaints about the O-Line but RW also held the ball longer than any other QB. Which more teams started to put more pressure etc.

For as many games as RW "saved", I also wonder if the saving was also required because of his lack of offensive production through the other 3 quarters of football. I think a perfect example was the Packers NFCCG. Miracle catch between Kearse and RW to end the game in OT right?

But had there not been 4 picks (all with Kearse as target)...maybe the game doesnt even go to OT and its a blowout win the way the defense played to keep it within reach the entire time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wins aren't attributable to a single player.

He WAS a killer when the game was on the line. What frustrated the LOB and others like ADB was that the games shouldn't have been on the line, and that he wasn't a killer for vast stretches of the rest of games, save for throwing high percentage of completion passes. 67% completion rate ? CHECK ! First down on 3rd and 8? 'We'll get'em in the 4th qtr... KEEP ON BELIEVING.. RAH RAH RAH'.

I mean, we had a generationally great defense that was utterly dominant (kind of like Denver last year). And we STILL had to be in dogfights and rely on 2 minute drill heroics. And BTW, we also had a generational talent at RB. A player so good that Beast Mode is now a word in Websters. And ADB? The dude was as good a receiver as you could want on any team - who would no doubt have achieved more on another team with a better passing game.

And yet, we STILL had to win games in comeback mode and by 1 score.

Our D led the league in scoring for how many years consecutively?

THATS why people are upset. That's why the LOB left the way they did.

But Russ got his stats, and parlayed them into a 1/4 billion dollar payday..

And I'd wager Geno has helped folks see that what ailed the offense back then wasn't a desire to 'play it close' in the 4th because that's what Pete wanted, or to just run 2/3rds of the time... because that's what Pete wanted. The offense did what it did because of who facilitated it.

Same way it does now in Denver.
"Wins Aren't Attributabl to a Single Player" = Great Point, Example, Sherman's TIP, had it hit the ground, would still have left Kaep & the 9rs with another shot in that NFC Championship game with the winner going to the Super Bowl, so it wasn't JUST THE TIP that sealed the deal, it was the dude who captured Sherman's "Tipped Ball" that ended the 49ers quest = DEFENSIVE TEAM WIN.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seriously if you think about just how stacked the defense was for those years as well as the capable RB and TE/WR core. Team should have been blowing out every team they played. I know there were complaints about the O-Line but RW also held the ball longer than any other QB. Which more teams started to put more pressure etc.

For as many games as RW "saved", I also wonder if the saving was also required because of his lack of offensive production through the other 3 quarters of football. I think a perfect example was the Packers NFCCG. Miracle catch between Kearse and RW to end the game in OT right?

But had there not been 4 picks (all with Kearse as target)...maybe the game doesnt even go to OT and its a blowout win the way the defense played to keep it within reach the entire time.
100%

This is the exact conclusion that I came to. Russell had a classic case of the "yips". He didn't have the confidence to
Drop back , read the field like other QBs.
Like I said in another post , I went back and watched several games from 2013
and even at their best , there were so many games that were close that really
didn't have to be. You're right about the NFCCG, 4 interceptions ? Only a team with dynamic defense and special teams could overcome that. I was pissed . Then dangerwich started crying like a geek .

Unbelievable. I had a gut feeling Seattle would lose the SB.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
With how religious Me3 is, he probably has always considered Lynch to be too hedonistic to be friends with.
Besides football, what would those two have in common? Russ listened to Stevie Wonder and Anita Baker before games. Lynch listened to wack ass Philthy Rich and Mac Dre.

Yeah, they were never gonna vibe. And I don't see anything wrong with that. Knowing what I know about members of this board, most here wouldn't **** with Lynch either if he wasn't a Seahawk, and would be hella disparaging towards him.

renofox

Reaction score
Besides football, what would those two have in common? Russ listened to Stevie Wonder and Anita Baker before games. Lynch listened to wack ass Philthy Rich and Mac Dre.

Yeah, they were never gonna vibe. And I don't see anything wrong with that. Knowing what I know about members of this board, most here wouldn't **** with Lynch either if he wasn't a Seahawk, and would be hella disparaging towards him.
Upper middle class culture (regardless of race) does not mix well with hood culture (regardless of race).

If you're UMCC, you are not going to make friends and hang out with HC, especially when HC racializes it by saying "You ain't black enough".

It's no wonder that RW did not consider many of his teammates friends and had no desire to hang with them.

It's also no wonder that his HC teammates took that as being dissed. That is a big part of their culture.

It is surprising that PC was so ineffective in dealing with this issue. Sometimes a hands-off approach is not the correct strategy when you are a team leader.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Upper middle class culture (regardless of race) does not mix well with hood culture (regardless of race).

If you're UMCC, you are not going to make friends and hang out with HC, especially when HC racializes it by saying "You ain't black enough".

It's no wonder that RW did not consider many of his teammates friends and had no desire to hang with them.

It's also no wonder that his HC teammates took that as being dissed. That is a big part of their culture.

It is surprising that PC was so ineffective in dealing with this issue. Sometimes a hands-off approach is not the correct strategy when you are a team leader.
Generally you're correct--to an extent--but that's a whole big ball of worms with a deep history that I would prefer to stay away from here.

I will say, it would have been nice for all sides to understand and see the big picture and come together (better) as brothers in battle to the very end. I also wasn't in that locker room and hate to infer things like that based on media snippets, conjecture and biased rumors.