Mike Glennon is twice the QB Josh Freeman is

ivotuk

Reaction score
In the prelude to the draft there was some talk about Freeman's dedication to the game but his measureables made him worthy of a 1st round pick. The first few years seemed like he might put those thoughts about his dedication to football but there were some hints.

During one failed 3rd and short, one of his players said "6'5" 225 pounds, why did you just do a QB sneak?" To which Josh replied "Self preservation for the long run." And there were negative comments by broadcasters about his footwork and mechanics. But still, the Bucs were having success.

Well this year his lack of dedication reared it's ugly head, and thankfully for Tampa Bay's fans, they cut him.

Now comes this rookie that breaks the record for most passes thrown in his first 4 games and he looks lights out. Calm in the pocket, throwing lasers and looking like a veteran. The guy looks geeky as all get out but he must have put the time in to be this good this early. Even his throws out of bounds were smart.

Maybe he learned and is following in Russell's footsteps. Whatever it is, the future looks bright for Tampa Bay because they have a lot of talent on that team (as do all teams that are perennial losers) and I think they should stick with Schiano for at least another year. Any coach that can get an 0-7 team to travel across country and play in that kind of atmosphere, against a team like the Seahawks, and almost pull out a win, deserves more time. Especially now that we've seen where the true cancer was.

BASF

Reaction score
An angle that I haven't seen brought up anywhere is that Mike Glennon just played his Super Bowl. He has had to put up with two years of media and fans talking about his coaches making a mistake going with him over Russell Wilson. He had to have had extra motivation to go out there and out duel the better QB. He played a great game, fitting passes into tight windows and leading his team with poise. If he can maintain that, the Bucs have a bright future.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
If true why bother with the character assassination when you could just say Mike Glennon is going to be our guy? I suppose Mike may have shown them more than they were aware of,

All around shocked we struggled with Tampa Bay, running defense was suspect as well.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Glennon might definitely be something in a few years. Or sooner.

drrew

Reaction score
Way too early to make a determination on Glennon, especially when looking at and comparing him to Freeman.

Josh Freeman had one of the better sophomore campaigns in NFL history. 3500 yards, 25TD, 6 INT, 5 fourth quarter comebacks. He immediately regressed in 2011 and 2012, but after 2010, there was no reason not to expect him to become and NFL star.

Mike Glennon has had a few good games, but he's a long ways from Freeman at his best, and as Freeman showed, just reaching those heights means nothing as you can very quickly fall back to earth.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
drrew":3nd5p7ns said:
Way too early to make a determination on Glennon, especially when looking at and comparing him to Freeman.

Josh Freeman had one of the better sophomore campaigns in NFL history. 3500 yards, 25TD, 6 INT, 5 fourth quarter comebacks. He immediately regressed in 2011 and 2012, but after 2010, there was no reason not to expect him to become and NFL star.

Mike Glennon has had a few good games, but he's a long ways from Freeman at his best, and as Freeman showed, just reaching those heights means nothing as you can very quickly fall back to earth.

On this i would disagree. Glennon continues to prove himself week in and week out. He had the talent and i think being Russell Wilson s team mate really helped.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":23n4spns said:
Way to early for this discussion Glennon is this year's Keapernick and how's that working out?

I don't think it's too early in Glennon's case. He is showing himself to be worthy of attention. I don't quite get the CK comparison. For example, Glennon stepped into a completely different situation. Tampa Bay was losing every game. The Niners were not. CK is an athlete like a Michael Vick that is going to flash at times. Glennon is oozing with leadership... and an arm. I would respectfully argue that there's a big difference between the two... and Glennon is the better QB.

The Bucs are in position to play spoiler. Niners on 12/15 and @ Saints 12/29. This week will be interesting, too, against the Panthers. But, I think the Panthers are going to be the eventual winners of the NFC South. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers finish in 3rd (or possibly even 4th place) in the NFC West. The Cardinals and Rams are playing better football. (Not necessarily better than the Niners head to head... just that those teams are playing better in general. The Cardinals are starting to look like a potentially scary wildcard playoff team.)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Just saying give it at least 16 games if not 32 before you annoint him as someone in Wilson's class at the NFL level. Not saying he isn't good. And obviously far better than Freeman, it took Newton 2 1/2 seasons to actually be proven. And Glennon is no Newton.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2qhl730w said:
Just saying give it at least 16 games if not 32 before you annoint him as someone in Wilson's class at the NFL level. Not saying he isn't good. And obviously far better than Freeman, it took Newton 2 1/2 seasons to actually be proven. And Glennon is no Newton.

Fair enough. I understand you. But, I respectfully disagree. I'll offer a bit more of my take, since it's an interesting topic (and I'm probably taking it a bit farther than the OP intended. Sorry about that.) It's about identifying long term talent. Those are the things that keep GM's and scouts up at night. (I'll add that Glennon has already surpassed my expectations for him. I would also say that I more saw much more potential in Russell Wilson coming out of college than Glennon. When he was named a Captain at Wisconsin in his first and only season, he had my attention from that point on. Still, never in my wildest dreams did I think Wilson would have so much immediate success and such promising long term success to come.)

Ivotuk saying that perhaps Glennon is "following in Russell Wilson's footsteps" isn't necessarily saying he's in the same class. Footsteps mean just that they both had time at NC State and did some significant things in their rookie years as starters. I don't read anymore into it than that.

How many games has Wilson played? Not 32. How many games does it take for those who look at QB's and without bringing up stats or measurables to see that a guy is a player? By the way, Glennon was just named the NFC offensive rookie of the month.

You should watch or re-watch "The Brady 6" on ESPN (or YouTube) and consider the intangibles the Glennon seems to have when comparing him to other QB's. He doesn't have to be Cam Newton. He plays with heart. He is a gamer. Apparently has leadership skills, too. If I had to pick 2 QB's who will have the longest, more successful NFL careers out of the 4 being bantered about... I would choose Wilson and Glennon over Newton and CK. I think Wilson and Glennon are potentially in the "class" of Brady, Manning, etc. Not sure about Newton just yet. To his credit, he's growing with experience. I honestly think (and not just b/c I hate the 49ers) that CK is going to end up and be remembered more as a flash in the pan player. No denying his athleticism and that he can hit open receivers. But, he's already getting figured out and I'm not convinced he has what it takes to get through those storms. The Niners are aging, as well. What are the Niner fans going to think of CK when the team slips back into mediocrity - even for a season or two?

Of course QB opinions and comparisons will vary. I like the guys with fire in their gut. One cannot objectively see that. But, I agree with Ivotuk that Glennon has it. Wilson has it, Brady has it, Manning has it, Brees has it, etc. No, I'm not suggesting Glennon has achieved that sort of status. Just a common characteristic I see. I'm not convinced (yet) that the very talented Newton has that same sort of fire that those guys have. But, he's impressing me more and more.