MLS

JSeahawks

Reaction score
So tell me if i have this right... since it was 0-0 today, if its a 1-1 tie next week the timbers will win because its an away goal? What if its 0-0? Overtime and penalty kicks again?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3sxivll0 said:
So tell me if i have this right... since it was 0-0 today, if its a 1-1 tie next week the timbers will win because its an away goal? What if its 0-0? Overtime and penalty kicks again?

Yes...

Ot may be strange. Some competitions don't count ot goals towards the away goal rule. Some do. Sometimes its golden goal. Not sure what the MLS does.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong I don't follow soccer much or at all but I've started to get interested in the Timbers. With them up 1-0 right now and the first leg went 0-0 in Portland this leg can't go into extra time? At least that's what I understand from the away goal rule?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
JGreen79":1gqqh9n9 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong I don't follow soccer much or at all but I've started to get interested in the Timbers. With them up 1-0 right now and the first leg went 0-0 in Portland this leg can't go into extra time? At least that's what I understand from the away goal rule?

Correct. If the game ends in a tie portland moves on.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Three Cascadia rivals enter...

1 left.

Portland dominated Vancouver tonight in a beautiful game. After such a frustrating first half f the season, it's been brilliant to watch the team round into form.

Here's hoping for a similarly brilliant performance against FC Dallas in....

*checks calendar*...

2 weeks? Dude, c'mon....

Smurf

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2i8brsu0 said:
Three Cascadia rivals enter...

1 left.

Portland dominated Vancouver tonight in a beautiful game. After such a frustrating first half f the season, it's been brilliant to watch the team round into form.

Here's hoping for a similarly brilliant performance against FC Dallas in....

*checks calendar*...

2 weeks? Dude, c'mon....

Welcome to MLS.

2 week break. Puts all that good form into jeopardy, IMO.

Decent match up Portland vs FC Dallas.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":19at2j8m said:
Next week is an international break in soccer.

I know. It's just stupid.

Start the season earlier, or something. 2 weeks in between the biggest games of the season is insane.

Smurf

Reaction score
Patrick Viera was just named the manager of New York City FC.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Finally almost game time. Really sucks that Valeri is out on yellow card accumulation. Hopefully timbers can pull it off.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":38b5h7ey said:
Patrick Viera was just named the manager of New York City FC.

Wow....

Was City's youth coordinator I believe. Define an "organizational" move.

Smurf

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1idesqhb said:
Finally almost game time. Really sucks that Valeri is out on yellow card accumulation. Hopefully timbers can pull it off.

Could be a blessing in disguise. Nagbe is better when he plays more centrally in my opinion. Unfortunately that's where Valeri is also at his best. I think Nagbe has the ability to take the reigns of any game, and he loses some of that when he is pinched out wide.

Should be a good contest. I'm curious to see how Portland deals with the Counter Attack of FCD. Portland (this year) doesn't seem to be a team that enjoys kicking the ball around a lot. They seem to want to play more direct, and that can get you burned quick against FCD.

Smurf

Reaction score
JSeahawks":30u7na43 said:
Portland wins 3-1. Wish they hadnt given up that away goal, but still pretty confident going forward.

certainly makes extra time hard to achieve. Should have a conclusion after 90.