MLS

Uncle Si

Reaction score
To support the importance of TV revenue (and i clearly underestimated this when stating the MLS "isn't concerned." How could they not be)

115 million were expected to watch the Super Bowl last night, 160 million worldwide. Does not include internet streaming.

650 million tuned in world wide to watch Chelsea vs. United hours before. More importantly, 1.35 million watched in the US.

Now, the numbers for the Super Bowl do not count internet streams (CBS made the game available via their site) and NBC's live app lets you watch it on your phone anywhere (which I did). Either way, on first glance, more people in the US watched a mid season game between two mid-table teams in the Premier league than the pinnacle event of its more popular sport... on the same day.

EDIT: I'm an idiot... it was 1.38 not 138...bit of a difference.

But again, these are TV numbers.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ftjhrw8 said:
To support the importance of TV revenue (and i clearly underestimated this when stating the MLS "isn't concerned." How could they not be)

115 million were expected to watch the Super Bowl last night, 160 million worldwide. Does not include internet streaming.

650 million tuned in world wide to watch Chelsea vs. United hours before. More importantly, 135 million watched in the US.

Now, the numbers for the Super Bowl do not count internet streams (CBS made the game available via their site) and NBC's live app lets you watch it on your phone anywhere (which I did). Either way, on first glance, more people in the US watched a mid season game between two mid-table teams in the Premier league than the pinnacle event of its more popular sport... on the same day.

Do you have a source for this?

I thought Super Bowl 50 was the 2nd most watched program in American history, right behind Super Bowl 49. But admittedly I find the way TV numbers are reported confusing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'm an idiot..

it was 1.38 not 138 million.

Neither number counts streaming and international broadcasts, however. The 650 million was reported by Sky Sports based on the fan base of both competing clubs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1gy9f90q said:
Sounds like Tim Howard will be the latest USMNT player to leave Europe to play in MLS after losing his starting spot at Everton.

http://www.espnfc.com/soccer-transfers/ ... om-everton

I love Howard, but 2M a year for a goalie DP IMO is a bad deal for Colorado. Is he going to be exponentially better than a good MLS goalie that makes 300k a year? Hard to imagine that kind of return.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zitou0i said:
SeatownJay":2zitou0i said:
Sounds like Tim Howard will be the latest USMNT player to leave Europe to play in MLS after losing his starting spot at Everton.

I love Howard, but 2M a year for a goalie DP IMO is a bad deal for Colorado. Is he going to be exponentially better than a good MLS goalie that makes 300k a year? Hard to imagine that kind of return.

USMNT legend now playing in the heart of the USMNT (and probably soccer in America). I think its more about that value than his field value.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27lryfik said:
Sgt. Largent":27lryfik said:
SeatownJay":27lryfik said:

USMNT legend now playing in the heart of the USMNT (and probably soccer in America). I think its more about that value than his field value.

For sure, he's going to sell some kits........and middle tier clubs like Colorado can't be picky when it comes to DP's, especially USMNT DP's.

Just saying for the value, I can't see the Rapids getting 2M of production out of a keeper.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
No, not on the field. The skillsets between elite keepers and the next level and so on isn't that extraordinary.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hope Sounders fans aren't excited to see Drogba on April 2nd.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/03 ... a-turf-mls

I wonder if the Impact and Garber knew Drogba was going to refuse to play in turf matches when they coughed up 4 Million a year. Makes me think he's being a pain in the ass over the Impact refusing to let him go back to Chelsea for a final season.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1glwid8w said:
Hope Sounders fans aren't excited to see Drogba on April 2nd.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/03 ... a-turf-mls

I wonder if the Impact and Garber knew Drogba was going to refuse to play in turf matches when they coughed up 4 Million a year. Makes me think he's being a pain in the ass over the Impact refusing to let him go back to Chelsea for a final season.
Meh. Thierry Henry often refused to play on turf, too, when he was with the Red Bulls.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its an interesting article. Not much new in it, just confirming the natural direction. The NASL has been the step-child of professional US Soccer the last decade, operating more as an independent league than any type of affiliate.

The issue of promotion-relegation is not in the strength of the systems, but the strength in the fan base. The MLS does not believe it's smaller markets could hold enough interest should they be relegated to a 2nd tier (American's love winners).

The MLS-USL-PDL will continue its development, with or without promotion. The MLS teams are continuing to expand their brands and reach through affiliations (this extends to reserve teams, reserve affiliates, and youth affiliates). The NASL will continue to stand separate until it decides its better to enter into the USL agreement. I don't see them doing that (they actually do quite well) until their is a promotion-relegation set up.

Without complication, the tiered set up could easily go MLS-NASL-USL and PDL operates as an academy/semi-pro operation. Unfortunately, market factors are holding it all back.