Mort just reported Smith most likely OUT tomorrow

Twisted

Reaction score
RockHawk":2pcss39i said:
Big blow to the 49er defense. Great for us.

why?

no one player makes or breaks either team, thats been proven..

execution is king

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":262ydjij said:
San Francisco will have no excuses even if Smith does sit. Injury is part of the game and it's a team's responsibility to maintain good enough depth to handle such issues. Smith is an excellent player, but if SF is so completely undermined by one player's loss that they can't compensate, it says something about the team.

Whoa there. Elite level DEs don't exactly grow on trees. And Smith is one of the most valuable defensive players in the NFL. I don't think it says anything bad about SF that their defense would suffer from losing an elite player at a position where elite players are notoriously hard to acquire.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Twisted":1dtv5cb9 said:
why?

no one player makes or breaks either team, thats been proven..

execution is king

He's a vital part of their defense and a big reason why they're so good at defending the run AND why Aldon Smith gets to the quarterback so often. Justin Smith is probably the best 3-4 end in football.

seahawksflow

Reaction score
Look at the 49ers D vs. Patriots with Smith, and without Smith last week.

ivotuk

Reaction score
On ESPN scroll, Schefter reports Justin unlikely to play at Seattle. In all honesty, this is probably the best move for SF considering they will need him for the playoffs. It also said he had started 185 straight games, most by any NFL lineman.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
He's a flat out stud. One of the best at what he does. Aldon's assignment against our Pro Bowl LT just became much much more difficult.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I read an article on him and he outworks anyone on the team. He works out until he pukes, then goes right back to working out. He is the best in the league and a difference maker on the defense.

I expect Okung to hold Aldon to zero sacks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":120useck said:
MontanaHawk05":120useck said:
San Francisco will have no excuses even if Smith does sit. Injury is part of the game and it's a team's responsibility to maintain good enough depth to handle such issues. Smith is an excellent player, but if SF is so completely undermined by one player's loss that they can't compensate, it says something about the team.

Whoa there. Elite level DEs don't exactly grow on trees. And Smith is one of the most valuable defensive players in the NFL. I don't think it says anything bad about SF that their defense would suffer from losing an elite player at a position where elite players are notoriously hard to acquire.

I'm well aware of Smith's stature, and I stand by my words. Nobody's asking depth to be elite, they're just asking them to be competent.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
ivotuk":10tlhf4j said:
On ESPN scroll, Schefter reports Justin unlikely to play at Seattle. In all honesty, this is probably the best move for SF considering they will need him for the playoffs. It also said he had started 185 straight games, most by any NFL lineman.

My contention is that the Niners are just shrugging their shoulders at this game. Losing it will not change their Playoff situation. They will work a lot less next week to beat the Cards. If we "give them the game" they will take it. If we get out of the gate quickly...ie. two touchdowns...I expect them to rest their best players.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
I don't know about that they are still playing for the two seed, and still haven't locked up the division.The coaching staff will have them boys ready. Expect an all out war.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2vy8az9r said:
ivotuk":2vy8az9r said:

My contention is that the Niners are just shrugging their shoulders at this game. Losing it will not change their Playoff situation. They will work a lot less next week to beat the Cards. If we "give them the game" they will take it. If we get out of the gate quickly...ie. two touchdowns...I expect them to rest their best players.

You need to keep yourself better informed. The niners are still playing for the #2 seeding which will give them some homefield advantage.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Interesting.........still have a lot of others on defense than just Justin Smith that make them scary.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Their back-up seems to be pretty good. Ricky Jean-Francois is a pretty impressive athlete for his size. I'm not saying he is in Justin Smith's class, but I expect him to be effective. Hope our guys don't let off any with this news.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Starrman44":24l0dhu6 said:
Their back-up seems to be pretty good. Ricky Jean-Francois is a pretty impressive athlete for his size. I'm not saying he is in Justin Smith's class, but I expect him to be effective. Hope our guys don't let off any with this news.

It's not about letting off. It's about game planning.
It's Bevell's job to exploit a gimpy or missing Smith.

It's our job to cheer as we shred their defense.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Throwdown":1n4qfcwo said:
hawksfan515":1n4qfcwo said:
Sports Hernia":1n4qfcwo said:
The power of Tanzania is already working!

Tanazania doesn't injure people. It just makes our players play freaking awesome.

Tanzania does what the hell it wants, who are YOU to say what Tanzania does with the amazing powers of Kilimanjaro?

LOL!

Are you sure you're not John Moffit operating with an alias? :mrgreen:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hey, I'll take whatever they give us, but it's not as if they'll fall apart witout him. They might have to crank up the 'O' machine a couple of notches to compensate, and we all know they have the headroom to do so. This game could possibly turn into more of an offensive shootout than anticipated IF we are able to capitalize.

I'm thinking they'll still be damned good at stopping slowing us down though. They shoved our OL around pretty good last time and their depth is unbelievable. Futher, they practice against an O that is more complex and physical than ours. I'm thinking the only time they might have a large dropoff is if Sopoaga couldn't suit up.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3tkiakk5 said:
LOL!

Are you sure you're not John Moffit operating with an alias? :mrgreen:

Lol nah I'm not him, but I think if I held a conversation with him, it would be the most epic conversation in the history of mankind.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":4htzjuab said:
Hey, I'll take whatever they give us, but it's not as if they'll fall apart witout him. They might have to crank up the 'O' machine a couple of notches to compensate, and we all know they have the headroom to do so. This game could possibly turn into more of an offensive shootout than anticipated IF we are able to capitalize.

I'm thinking they'll still be damned good at stopping slowing us down though. They shoved our OL around pretty good last time and their depth is unbelievable. Futher, they practice against an O that is more complex and physical than ours. I'm thinking the only time they might have a large dropoff is if Sopoaga couldn't suit up.

I think that you have an overinflated view of sf.

Latest posts