Most liked 'sleeper'/'forgotten' Hawks.

Rainger

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk said:
No doubt. TE's are legit weapons.
someone should remind PC of that in the offseason and tell him to let waldron do his thing for the whole season!

So pissed he handcuffed him last 1/2 of the season last year.
Sorry but I just cant let this statement go unchallenged.

Pete and the OC,s have always had well designed plays featuring the tight end.

They have gone out and traded for and drafted some quality tight ends, the problem is that for almost 10 years the little QB behind the center, who remains nameless, would NEVER throw, a short over the middle, to a wide open, or crossing tight end. This is the bread and butter route for a TE.

The only time that, that former QB would see a TE is when he was 30 to 40 yards down field and was open on a missed coverage.

PC was not ham stringing the OC's from using the TE, the past QB refused to throw to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't see that problem with Geno! Just look at all the Brady throws to Gronk, those are the routes and passes that ME3 would never see or throw.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seahawks have a history of great safeties. One guy that I really liked that's forgotten is Darryl Williams. Still remember that hit on Raiders TE Dudley

I was there. Right in front of that play. I will never forget it. Ever. I thought I witnessed cold blooded murder in front of my eyes. Talk about a lethal hit. To this day I still can't believe Dudley got up and walked away from that hit.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Why Monday Night Football was so great, Broadcasters were always calling us upstarts, we played a lot of Legacy teams and were expected to lose most games. Seahawks were not the television draw it was the Cowboys, Raiders, Broncos etc. Yet our record on Monday Night Football is great, second only to the Raiders I think as far as winning percentage back then. We won over many fans beating the legacy teams consistently. Not only that when we played strange things always happened during the game or Broadcast.
It deserves its own thread, but you had to have lived through the 70's as I did in order to gain a full appreciation of what MNF was like back then.

MNF hadn't been around that long, got it's start in in 1970 during a time when VCR's and cable TV were still several years away and the internet two decades into the future. The color man, Howard Cosell, was a broadcaster that, for some reason, everybody loved to hate. Don Meredith lightened things up with his folksy sense of humor and his frequent mocking of Howard. Every bar had a football board, 100 squares for $1 a square. Even the halftime highlights from the previous day's games, narrated by Cosell, was a huge thing. I used to plan my dinner around MNF, had a TV tray and a straight back chair set in front of my TV.

There was a bar in Denver that had a unique promotion for MNF. They would set up an old TV destined for the junk yard in the center of the bar then sell raffle tickets. The winner of the raffle had specific instructions: He was given a brick then he had to wait until Cosell said something stupid, at which time he was to throw the brick through the TV.

The highlight of our first ever MNF game, vs. the Falcons, featured a successful fake field goal, with Jim Zorn completing a pass to Efren Herrera for a first down. It was a huge thrill seeing our Hawks not only appear on MNF, but pull off an exciting play and end up winning the game.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk said:
No doubt. TE's are legit weapons.

Sorry but I just cant let this statement go unchallenged.

Pete and the OC,s have always had well designed plays featuring the tight end.

They have gone out and traded for and drafted some quality tight ends, the problem is that for almost 10 years the little QB behind the center, who remains nameless, would NEVER throw, a short over the middle, to a wide open, or crossing tight end. This is the bread and butter route for a TE.

The only time that, that former QB would see a TE is when he was 30 to 40 yards down field and was open on a missed coverage.

PC was not ham stringing the OC's from using the TE, the past QB refused to throw to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't see that problem with Geno! Just look at all the Brady throws to Gronk, those are the routes and passes that ME3 would never see or throw.
I should clarify what I meant -

My comment was specifically about last season. Pre-Munich: Saw lots of 3 TE sets, misdirection and intermediate stuff. Post-Munich: Largely got shut down, and the 3TE sets were as rare as hen's teeth.

My comment had nothing to do with Me3 and his shortcomings (ha!) in the intermediate and short game. I would agree with your statements about Me3's bias against the short stuff and his penchant for moon-balls.

So, I agree with you - but outside of the topic that I was commenting on ;)

BASF

Reaction score
I should clarify what I meant -

My comment was specifically about last season. Pre-Munich: Saw lots of 3 TE sets, misdirection and intermediate stuff. Post-Munich: Largely got shut down, and the 3TE sets were as rare as hen's teeth.

My comment had nothing to do with Me3 and his shortcomings (ha!) in the intermediate and short game. I would agree with your statements about Me3's bias against the short stuff and his penchant for moon-balls.

So, I agree with you - but outside of the topic that I was commenting on ;)
A lot of that revolves around Cross and Lucas hitting the rookie wall and Lucas' arm injury. They started to use the TE's to help chip rushers more on routes.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Zach Miller is another guy that was overlooked. He was like a 6th OL on run plays and had reliable hands. Best all-around TE in team history imo
I agree. When people ask the question of who our best TE in franchise history was, I'll answer Zach Miller every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The only problem with him was that he had a hard time staying on the field.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I was there. Right in front of that play. I will never forget it. Ever. I thought I witnessed cold blooded murder in front of my eyes. Talk about a lethal hit. To this day I still can't believe Dudley got up and walked away from that hit.
I was there as well. I remember the kingdome went silent for a second before exploding. I'll never forget the sound of the collision. I had Daryll Williams sign a picture of that hit.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We could obviously talk about hundreds of players but Edwin Bailey deserves a shout out every now and then. 5th round pick in '81 who ended up playing 11 seasons for us with 120 starts at Left Guard and retiring as a Seahawk legend with the most franchise starts as an OL. Good locker room guy, humble, and he's been active off the field in the community. Due to his longevity he's 27th all time in Seahawks franchise Approximate Value, ahead of guys like Mebane, Marshawn, Kam, Hutch, etc.

IIRC Bailey plays a mean sax as well.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was there as well. I remember the kingdome went silent for a second before exploding. I'll never forget the sound of the collision. I had Daryll Williams sign a picture of that hit.

I totally remember that!!! When the hit happened the entire Kingdome went silent for a quick moment because we all thought at the very least it was going to be a major injury or trauma of sorts. As soon as Dudley got up the crowd went nuts. What a hit.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I totally remember that!!! When the hit happened the entire Kingdome went silent for a quick moment because we all thought at the very least it was going to be a major injury or trauma of sorts. As soon as Dudley got up the crowd went nuts. What a hit.
Definitely on my personal list of all time plays. Ken Hamlin vs Donte Stalworth ranks as well.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed! And lest we forget Kam’s hit on Vernon Davis which forced his Soul out of his body for a moment. Said it was the biggest hit he ever received.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
If we go back one click, Matt Hasselbeck.

Another click, Jacob Green.

Another click, Dave Kreig

If you keep going you'll find that Steve Largent was some trash player from Tulsa that won't do much in the league at all.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Jerry Rice! Just kidding...my vote is more recent Bradley McDougald playing safety...or George Fant playing a swing tackle role.

Aircrew

Reaction score
He's already been mentioned but Rufus Porter comes to mind, he was really good there for a couple years. My favorite play was when he slapped down a pass from I think John Elway on MNF and he pointed at him over and over again, the Dome was going nuts.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Still pisses me off that he was called for an illegal hit even though it was textbook legal.

FPD

Reaction score
Still pisses me off that he was called for an illegal hit even though it was textbook legal.

So true! The receiver had the ball, and the Enforcer nailed him in the chest...hard. Poof, out comes the ball. Should have totally been legal. Especially with what the ref's were (normally) allowing in that time frame.