My Hawks Smoker

Vaclav44

Reaction score
I just got done making my first U.D.S. (Ugly Drum Smoker) and have to show off some pics. For those of you not in the know, a UDS is a poor-man's big green egg and makes an excellent smoker or BBQ. The design is really basic, a vertical smoker made out of a 55 gallon drum, which means that an idiot (like me) can put one together pretty easily and on the cheap. It is charcoal driven -- the gas valve on the front is to adjust the air inflow, not to hook up to gas.

I would have been done a long time ago but for the paint-job. I was going to do all black, but then the Hawks started winning. A lot. Using several colors and then doing the damned stencils for the logo took a lot longer than planned. I still have to go back and touch up the logo to make the lines sharper and get rid of overspray but I can finally show off my Hawks UDS!

WP 000217

WP 000216

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Very cool-love the DIY spirit.

Have to say, when I saw the title hat came to mind was Ultimate Dream Scenario.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought it was some naval acronym I had never heard. Underwater diving something? Ultimate Drowning Scuba?

Gas smokers make a hell of a bomb, so be careful. A scar on my forehead is a reminder.

Very cool.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1nkx7l48 said:
Gas smokers make a hell of a bomb, so be careful. A scar on my forehead is a reminder.

When ever such incidents happen to me I typically look towards the heavens and yell "You missed again!"...

Very cool smoker, nice work. Will have to look that one up.

OP
OP
Vaclav44

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I can't wait to get it fired up! For anyone who is interested, here are the instructions I used (for the most part) but there are tons of build instructions out there: http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/gen ... t-1-a.html

What is fun is that it is DIY and cheap! The most difficult part is to build the fire basket yourself without welding but it can be done. Anyone who is interested can ping me for insight into the process.

Go Hawks.

Sea71Hawks

Reaction score
I like your style, been lurking on this site for a long time. never really posted, forgot my name and password a while back so i created a new account recently...

I have had this bad boy up and running for 3 years strong

487790_10102215133586431_1046113583_n.jpg

Hawknballs

Reaction score
That's awesome, I'm inspired. going to make one of these myself.

What were the hardest parts to track down and I'm assuming you're in the area? Any recommendations for where to get the drum? seems like that's the most specialized part.

Sea71Hawks

Reaction score
i am in AZ. i got my drum from craigslist.....This is my WARNING for you all....Make sure it is a food grade drum!!!! and make sure you burn the hell out of the liner inside the drum....best information i have ever found for this step by step is on the BBQ Brethern forum. Find the UDS thread for everything you can ever want to know about this topic and keeping it safe

OP
OP
Vaclav44

Vaclav44

Reaction score
The barrel cost me $50 and it was the most expensive piece. I got all of the nuts, bolts and gas line hardware at my local ACE store (so much better than the big box places). I bought the drum from Al's Barrels in Seattle. Spend the money on a nice 100% paint free barrel. I spent $5 on a barrel from a guy out in North Bend. It had a painted interior lining that ended up being impossible to get off. I tried everything fire and sanding related. Serious fire didn't even dent it.

The fire basket was a bit tricky. I got expanded metal from Lowe's (not Home Depot) and the grill grates (2) from Home Depot (not Lowes). The base of my fire basket was from ACE. It is a little cheap portable picnic grill that cost $10. I made the basket part of the basket from the expanded metal with fender washers and bolts. Throw in some rebar wire and it all went together pretty well.

Go slowly on drilling all of your holes. Think ahead on what bolts you want to have lined up with what holes, etc. If you aren't that careful, like I wasn't, you'll look at the final product wishing everything lined up a bit better.

The painting wasn't bad. Make sure you get high temp paint. I used spray paint and found it at O'Reily's. The logo was a real pain in the ass. I used contact paper for the transfer. Doing all of the layers of colors took a long time. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out I have to go back and do some touch up.

I think that the biggest thing is to take your time. If you are going to go with the basic black then it is not that big of a deal. If you're going to go a bit over the top then by all means think things through, measure several times and go slow!

muxpux

Reaction score
Vaclav44":1t26veip said:
I was going to do all black, but then the Hawks started winning. A lot.

did that jump out to anyone else? even in the 4-12 seasons im making anything seahawks i can...

The Radish

Reaction score
Great pictures and thank you both for sharing. Boy that would smoke a bunch of stuff at once.

:th2thumbs:

grizrgood

Reaction score
Nice job, I love it! I am big into smoked foods but have always used my "little chief" and lame water smoker. I have been looking to seriously step it up in the smoker department. Very good looking but does it work well?

Sea71Hawks

Reaction score
Here is a few pictures of my set up inside...just trying to help the ideas flow for everyone...

404822_10102216334310171_799106125_n.jpg

154868_10102216330916971_2102691842_n.jpg

OP
OP
Vaclav44

Vaclav44

Reaction score
[/quote]did that jump out to anyone else? even in the 4-12 seasons im making anything seahawks i can...[/quote]

OK mux, let's see your DIY Seahawks stuff. Gotta see what you made in the 4-12 years now that you've thrown down the gauntlet!

And FYI, i've got two grates on mine so it'll do up a mess of meat. The genesis of this is that I have a little chief and it doesn't smoke worth beans when it is cold out. I made some very mediocre smoked duck with my little chief last fall and knew that I had to do better.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
muxpux":vq0cctdh said:
Vaclav44":vq0cctdh said:

did that jump out to anyone else? even in the 4-12 seasons im making anything seahawks i can...
I must admit, I wasn't very motivated to paint a barrel in Seahawk colors & logo when we went 4-12.

I suck.

muxpux

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2s05brgn said:
muxpux":2s05brgn said:
Vaclav44":2s05brgn said:

I must admit, I wasn't very motivated to paint a barrel in Seahawk colors & logo when we went 4-12.

I suck.

i just thought the wording sounded odd. and no i havent "DIY'd" anything lately, but i was still going to games, rocking hawks gear and repping during those years.

sheesh.

Latest posts