Never thought I would hear this: Pocic

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
He was rated the 2nd best run blocking centre before getting hurt this year? I didn't see that coming

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He was rated the 2nd best run blocking centre before getting hurt this year? I didn't see that coming
IIRC, Pocic was hurt or inactive quite a bit during his tenure with the Seahawks. I believe his rookie season was the only one where he didn't miss any games.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Kevin Mawae comes to mind. Was drafted and played 4 seasons with the Hawks that signed with the Jets and became a 4 time All Pro Center

Jville

Reaction score
It's all lost in the details which rarely are examined on the forum .......

Ethan Pocic had the opportunity to play between the two best guards of his professional career with the Browns. Consider their running backs. Who is more committed to the run game than the Cleveland Browns?

Answers can be found in the details of each occurrence.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
Speaking of details .....................

In 1998, following four seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, free agent center Kevin Mawae literally liked what he saw when he visited with Jets head coach Bill Parcells.
"I just felt like Parcells had the best plan not just for the future of the team he was leading, but for what the plan was for me as the center," Mawae said. "The thing that kind of sealed it was that he reached behind his desk and pulled out this big three-ring binder and it was basically his plan to build the Jets. And on the front page it said these are his top three needs for this off-season, and the No. 1 need on this list was a center. https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-kevin-mawae

Plans and fit are are required details for understanding.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Speaking of details .....................

Plans and fit are are required details for understanding.
Good point. Playing for Bill Parcells vs. Dennis Erickson. Which coach gives you a better chance of getting to the playoffs and the superbowl? It's almost a no brainer.

chris98251

Reaction score
Remember our scheme and who was the O line coach, Ethan didn't have enough DT in his background when he was here.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Why does this keep happening?
Because Russell Wilson style of play made his oline look like shit. He struggled to operate within the design of the play and often left a good pocket to make plays outside of it.

For every sack Russell avoided he caused one himself through his play style and both examples of these sacks make the oline look bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
To be fair I never thought he was "garbage" or anything like that. I did think he got over-powered more than a centre should on bull rushes. But I also didn't see a guy who would grade out as highly as he did before getting hurt this year

massari

Reaction score
Because Russell Wilson style of play made his oline look like shit. He struggled to operate within the design of the play and often left a good pocket to make plays outside of it.

For every sack Russell avoided he caused one himself through his play style and both examples of these sacks make the online look bad.
If this was the case, why didn't Pocic and the Seahawks agree to a deal after Wilson was traded, knowing Wilson was to blame?

Pocic was wildly inconsistent and injured a lot, but can't understand how they let him walk and kept Kyle Fuller for the same amount of money Pocic signed with the Browns for.

He must've wanted out of Seattle bad, or PC/JS dropped the ball.

Own The West

Reaction score
I thought Pocic was okay, but lacked sand/strength, a common problem in a division with Aaron Donald. He wasn't Joey Hunt bad, but it made things tough against the DL in this division. So now that he's in the anemic AFC North and had a few more years of pro-level weight training, it doesn't surprise me he's doing better.

BASF

Reaction score
If this was the case, why didn't Pocic and the Seahawks agree to a deal after Wilson was traded, knowing Wilson was to blame?

Pocic was wildly inconsistent and injured a lot, but can't understand how they let him walk and kept Kyle Fuller for the same amount of money Pocic signed with the Browns for.

It is difficult to want to return to a big portion of a fan base that blames you for your QB's struggles, especially when the QB makes you and your line mates look worse than they are. Then he throws you and your line mates under the bus and the marks buy it hook line and sinker. Pretty obvious why Pocic would want out.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score

Injuries might have had something to do with it, but it wouldn't surprise me if both parties thought a fresh start would be best for Pocic.

It would have been interesting to see how Ethan would have done with Geno calling the shots. It seems like both Lewis and Jackson are playing better with him instead of Russ.

Another thought. I just don't see both rookie tackles playing better behind Russ than Geno. The last thing they would have needed was another challenge in protecting a QB who loves running outside of the pocket. The best thing we have in developing those two rookies is Geno (mostly) playing smart inside the pocket and within the timing of the playcall.