NFL to hold private Saturday workout for Kaepernick

Rat

Reaction score
Have his contract demands ever been reported? If he's not willing to take backup money, it's not surprising he hasn't gotten interest given how poorly he played in his last season as a starter. I'm not convinced he really wants to play.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Rat":2a1wdzlr said:
Have his contract demands ever been reported? If he's not willing to take backup money, it's not surprising he hasn't gotten interest given how poorly he played in his last season as a starter. I'm not convinced he really wants to play.

His agent posted a tweet saying he "had not demanded a specific salary" but didn't address explicitly whether he's insisting on being a starter: However, the Tweet also quotes Pete saying "he's a starter in this league" after their failed negotiation.

https://twitter.com/E_Reid35/status/118 ... 82/photo/1

Agree that if he's still going to insist on that as a starting point,--or of starting more than vet minimum, one year prove it, this is a monumental waste of time for everyone involved.

ETA: IDK how much Geno stinks. The last year with the Chargers was concerning but the rest of his numbers look OK. How'd he do in the preseason? http://www.nfl.com/player/genosmith/2539335/profile

seahawksny

Reaction score
sutz":1ms6eo0g said:
Washington49er":1ms6eo0g said:
rcaido":1ms6eo0g said:
Washington49er":1ms6eo0g said:
As a vet I can't stand the kneeling. As a QB he's better than a lot of starters right now in the league.

Why would someone kneeling bother you.

Because you kneel for the fallen and stand for the flag.
Some of us veterans think we served to defend his right to kneel. :229031_shrug:

BTW, kneeling is a sign of respect, not the opposite.

It's a time honored tradition to stand during the anthem, not kneel. He wasn't doing it as a sign of respect. It was a sign of protest

Maulbert

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3dvujmn2 said:
Rat":3dvujmn2 said:

His agent posted a tweet saying he "had not demanded a specific salary" but didn't address explicitly whether he's insisting on being a starter: However, the Tweet also quotes Pete saying "he's a starter in this league" after their failed negotiation.

https://twitter.com/E_Reid35/status/118 ... 82/photo/1

Agree that if he's still going to insist on that as a starting point,--or of starting more than vet minimum, one year prove it, this is a monumental waste of time for everyone involved.

ETA: IDK how much Geno stinks. The last year with the Chargers was concerning but the rest of his numbers look OK. How'd he do in the preseason? http://www.nfl.com/player/genosmith/2539335/profile

Doesn't matter how good he is. John clearly scouted him as an all-pro coinflip caller. We haven't had one of them since T-Jack.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
He has been good on the coin flips (despite the MNF controversy), but Sherm was right there and would have gone off if it was actually incorrect.

To me, he's just another vet ex-starter who can run the scout team and play some snaps. Might be good to invest a spot on PS at QB for next year.

Washington49er

Reaction score
seahawksny":2793e0pv said:
sutz":2793e0pv said:
Washington49er":2793e0pv said:
rcaido":2793e0pv said:

Some of us veterans think we served to defend his right to kneel. :229031_shrug:

It's a time honored tradition to stand during the anthem, not kneel. He wasn't doing it as a sign of respect. It was a sign of protest

This^

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Washington49er":1ifhw9yt said:
rcaido":1ifhw9yt said:
Washington49er":1ifhw9yt said:
SantaClaraHawk":1ifhw9yt said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076364/article/nfl-arranges-workout-for-colin-kaepernick-in-atlanta

This is unprecedented. Why would the league itself host a private showing for one player who last played almost three years ago? Does this not single him out?

AFA Kaep's qb skills, yes I think he might still have enough in the tank to be a backup. He's not the only one who last played a while ago and/or isn't starter material. His SF backup Colt McCoy is still on a roster.

As far as the political stuff, I think most owners and fans don't care that much anymore what a player does on the sideline during the playing of the anthem, which is rarely televised. Most people don't care whether Eric Reid is/isn't kneeling before Panthers games. It's just an old story now.

So tl;dr skills-wise/disruption-wise I think Kaep could be a decent backup. He'd be looking at a cheap prove-it contract with little guaranteed money, but that's what other QB2s and 3s also get. It's weird though that the league itself is managing and marketing this event just for him, though.

As a vet I can't stand the kneeling. As a QB he's better than a lot of starters right now in the league.

Amen to that

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
USA Today reports that out of 32 teams, the Hawks are the No. 2 fit for Kaepernick (after Bears):

"2. Seattle Seahawks: At one point, it seemed a union might happen between Kaepernick and a team he's had memorable battles with over the years. Frankly, the Pacific Northwest still seems pretty ideal climatically and as it pertains to a Plan B QB behind Russell Wilson. That's currently Geno Smith."

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/s ... 178811002/

Except...they already negotiated. Last year. They were the only ones to. It didn't work out.

Msfann

Reaction score
I've always thought he had the size and speed to be a TE.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Msfann":pu9ei8ys said:
I've always thought he had the size and speed to be a TE.

Back in the day, I thought so too (or even one of those speed RBs like Breida is currently)...but he's shown no interest in transitioning to one and probably can't do so so late in his career.

Now his reps are saying the NFL isn't giving him the RSVP list it promised. The NFL says it never promised the list in the first place.

The whole thing is supposed to be a setup. Or a way for teams to evaluate Kaep without having the individual pub on them for bringing him in for a workout. But there'd be more pub on whoever signed him. The anger/outrage meters are ticking up.

It's like flipping between Fox News/MSNBC hearing the rhetoric about this guy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Washington49er":18nxwxey said:
seahawksny":18nxwxey said:
sutz":18nxwxey said:
Washington49er":18nxwxey said:

This^

Whats wrong with protest then?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why he has been basically kept out of the league for 3 years? So he protested for something he believed in. Big deal? People made it out to be he hates the military. What? Talk about getting it completely wrong.
The league has a TON of players who are still playing after beating their wives, drug suspensions etc. Yet, this guy stands up (no pun intended) for something he believes in, and somehow he is Satan? He hasn't committed a single crime.
Weak

Osprey

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2eu4nihv said:
It was off topic and political. Why would the NFL want to alienate a significant percentage of their fanbase by allowing that behavior in the workplace?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":d3oyesr0 said:
I'm still trying to figure out why he has been basically kept out of the league for 3 years? So he protested for something he believed in. Big deal? People made it out to be he hates the military. What? Talk about getting it completely wrong.
The league has a TON of players who are still playing after beating their wives, drug suspensions etc. Yet, this guy stands up (no pun intended) for something he believes in, and somehow he is Satan? He hasn't committed a single crime.
Weak

There's certainly a LARGE percentage of owners that don't want anything to do with Kaepernick, and have instructed their GM's as such.

The other part of this is Kaepernick himself. He said when he tried out here a couple years ago that he considers himself an NFL starting QB, and I assume wants to be paid as one.

So the other part is even if he found a good team to be their backup, he wants a team where he can either BE the starting QB, or compete for that job. Which is what Pete alluded to when he was here, that Kaep was moving on because he knew he was only going to be a backup here behind Russell and wasn't going to be paid more than the league minimum.

There's also the "do you want the dog and pony show that comes along with signing Kaep as a backup?" Then there's the system he needs to play in, which only a handful of teams run the kind of offense that would work for Kaep.

Lots of factors going on here, but make no mistake, this is very much political for a LOT of team owners.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":23tkh75b said:
Weak

Kaep didn't protest during the SB/NFCCG days, or the efforts by multiple coaches to fix his mechanics. He exhibited far less interest in social justice then than for instance filming a headphone ad tuning out a bunch of rabid Hawks fans in the rain.

That interest only emerged after the team had concluded (and everyone knew) that it was soon to be over. He catapaulted a new persona: He filed suit and won, he won a Nike contract on top of that, again over the narrative that he'd gotten "punished" for speaking out. No, he created a new persona that got and remains well paid.

As to your question, he wants to be treated like Cody Kessler, David Fales, Bryan Hoyer, Geno Smith, I think he definitely can. Most QB2s are at low end and expected to stay in the background. He wants to be like everyone else, that's how everyone else gets treated.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
All a matter of opinion. But the way people act towards him is kind of ridiculous. He's not some criminal that the league lets play anyway. But somehow he's not allowed to play in the league. Either by teams that don't want that drama OR owners protesting against him in their own way. He has committed no crime, he just stood up for something he believed in.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Osprey":u8aigxxi said:
Uncle Si":u8aigxxi said:
It was off topic and political. Why would the NFL want to alienate a significant percentage of their fanbase by allowing that behavior in the workplace?

Probably closer to a team by team basis, but I agree. The fans opinion is what drove this...

Which is unfortunate... because his actions are no more off topic or political than the parade of armed forces celebrations that make it's way into a game.

The whole thing is simply to avoid debate they can't control.

Kaeps not a good enough QB to challenge that.