NFL to hold private Saturday workout for Kaepernick

Rat

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2m2yuqxg said:
Rat":2m2yuqxg said:
Have his contract demands ever been reported? If he's not willing to take backup money, it's not surprising he hasn't gotten interest given how poorly he played in his last season as a starter. I'm not convinced he really wants to play.

His agent posted a tweet saying he "had not demanded a specific salary" but didn't address explicitly whether he's insisting on being a starter: However, the Tweet also quotes Pete saying "he's a starter in this league" after their failed negotiation.

https://twitter.com/E_Reid35/status/118 ... 82/photo/1

Agree that if he's still going to insist on that as a starting point,--or of starting more than vet minimum, one year prove it, this is a monumental waste of time for everyone involved.

ETA: IDK how much Geno stinks. The last year with the Chargers was concerning but the rest of his numbers look OK. How'd he do in the preseason? http://www.nfl.com/player/genosmith/2539335/profile

I'm not a WVU fan (actually an alumni of their In-state rival), but I lived in West Virginia during the Geno years, so I watched him a lot, and I thought he would be a fantastic pro. I was convinced that he should have been in play for the Chiefs at No. 1 in the draft that year.

I was wrong. Geno has enough physically, but he just doesn't see the field well, and I don't believe he can be taught the instincts he doesn't seem to have. If he had to start a full season for an average team, he'd look really good sometimes, but he will always lose more than he wins. He just doesn't provide the kind of reliability I would like from a backup. If he has to come in mid-way through a game as an injury replacement, I don't trust him to not throw the game away.

Not sure Kaep is the answer either, or if he'd even be willing to take a clear backup position, but I just don't believe in Geno anymore.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Rat":20jgw0ar said:
I was wrong. Geno has enough physically, but he just doesn't see the field well, and I don't believe he can be taught the instincts he doesn't seem to have. If he had to start a full season for an average team, he'd look really good sometimes, but he will always lose more than he wins. He just doesn't provide the kind of reliability I would like from a backup. If he has to come in mid-way through a game as an injury replacement, I don't trust him to not throw the game away.

Not sure Kaep is the answer either, or if he'd even be willing to take a clear backup position, but I just don't believe in Geno anymore.

This is concerning. After Boykin, I get that JS/PC might be scared of developmentals but how about someone like Luke Falk (Jets) or Brandon Allen (Broncos)? Falk's already available (and still PS eligible) and Allen might soon be with Drew Lock returning.

If they want to go with a more established vet, Kaep's an option based on skills. He can't throw deep balls reliably, but OK on short-routes and not int-prone.

Osprey

Reaction score
Uncle Si":12kjh5ai said:
Which is unfortunate... because his actions are no more off topic or political than the parade of armed forces celebrations that make it's way into a game.
The NFL gets paid millions to promote the Armed Forces, it's really just another advertisement.

That said, I still argue that patriotism is above politics even if it's often exploited for political gain.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6ij2vdt9 said:
Didn't you say the Hawks would get slaughtered on Monday Rat? Just curious

I never made a score prediction or even named a winner, but I thought Garoppolo would have considerably more success on our defense than he did. I'm happy to have been wrong about it. I enjoy the game analysis and being wrong won't dissuade me from future prognosticating.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Osprey":19qgjmkk said:
Uncle Si":19qgjmkk said:
Which is unfortunate... because his actions are no more off topic or political than the parade of armed forces celebrations that make it's way into a game.
The NFL gets paid millions to promote the Armed Forces, it's really just another advertisement.

That said, I still argue that patriotism is above politics even if it's often exploited for political gain.

Topic for another time.. but it's far easier to market yeah.

Rat

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2badurdl said:
Rat":2badurdl said:

This is concerning. After Boykin, I get that JS/PC might be scared of developmentals but how about someone like Luke Falk (Jets) or Brandon Allen (Broncos)? Falk's already available (and still PS eligible) and Allen might soon be with Drew Lock returning.

If they want to go with a more established vet, Kaep's an option based on skills. He can't throw deep balls reliably, but OK on short-routes and not int-prone.

I don't know honestly. Pete and John have never prioritized the backup QB position (although they were rumored to have made a play for Jacoby Brissett a while ago), which has worked out fine so far, but it only requires one injury for that to backfire. It's difficult to get a high-end backup when that player has to sign here knowing he has no shot at taking over the No. 1 job. At some point, it might require a decent-ish draft pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":13un2ceo said:
Pete and John have never prioritized the backup QB position.

Why would you when your starting QB hasn't missed a start his entire career.

I think Kaep would fit in Seattle fine, and our system.........but he wasn't down with accepting the vet minimum to be a backup.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Oh hey, 49ers are going to the workout...https://news.yahoo.com/report-49ers-sen ... 10435.html

I heard on FirstTake that 22 teams are going. Who knows, the Hawks have never seen him work out either. Nothing to lose if we go as well.

But then again, this whole thing could implode. This report says there's no coach to oversee the session, and they don't have receivers lined up. https://popculture.com/sports/2019/11/1 ... e-workout/

ETA: Looks like Hue Jackson will be leading drills and Philbin will be there too.

https://twitter.com/NFL345/status/1195086455816826889

Also, Seahawks ARE sending someone. We're on the bye, so wouldn't it be hilarious if PC/JS did show up....

https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/stat ... 3426417672

Brady Henderson
@BradyHenderson
The Seahawks will have a representative at Colin Kaepernick’s workout, a source tells me.
3:31 PM · Nov 14, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The only good that could possibly come out of this stunt is if he actually dropped dead right in the middle of it.

Rat

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":bcyt4pp4 said:
The only good that could possibly come out of this stunt is if he actually dropped dead right in the middle of it.

This seems like a bit of harsh reaction.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The best thing would be for multiple teams to extend and publicize an offer like typical QB2s get. It's still a million bucks or more a year. More than many people make in 10 or even 20 years.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Rat":fopwxvhf said:
MD5eahawks":fopwxvhf said:

I have zero respect for that racist police hating punk. He has done nothing to better his so called belief and has even managed to bring disrespect to an iconic American flag on July 4th no less.
What a waste of life.

rcaido

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3t00y4g7 said:
Rat":3t00y4g7 said:
MD5eahawks":3t00y4g7 said:

I have zero respect for that racist police hating punk. He has done nothing to better his so called belief and has even managed to bring disrespect to an iconic American flag on July 4th no less.
What a waste of life.

Wait what? What did he do?

As for protesting in sports its been like this forever...From women, color discrimination, war, human rights, & religion. This has always been a platform to be used. Only people who get extremely butthurt over it are the people who dont want change.

Maulbert

Reaction score
rcaido":3kptxj2i said:
MD5eahawks":3kptxj2i said:
Rat":3kptxj2i said:
MD5eahawks":3kptxj2i said:

What a waste of life.

Wait what? What did he do?

As for protesting in sports its been like this forever...From women, color discrimination, war, human rights, & religion. This has always been a platform to be used. Only people who get extremely butthurt over it are the people who dont want change.

I have less of an issue with him kneeling than I do with him wearing a pro-Castro shirt and socks depicting police as pigs. Dude was an empty-headed douche nozzle before he met his activist girlfriend, and now he's treated as a martyr. F him.

rcaido

Reaction score
toffee":39poc86k said:
Kaep > Gino
No doubt about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about coin flips? Gino has equal Travaris Jackson talent! He has mastered the word Head making it sound like tails on television.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":14kzdh7i said:
sutz":14kzdh7i said:
Washington49er":14kzdh7i said:
rcaido":14kzdh7i said:
Why would someone kneeling bother you.

Because you kneel for the fallen and stand for the flag.
Some of us veterans think we served to defend his right to kneel. :229031_shrug:

BTW, kneeling is a sign of respect, not the opposite.

This is my take on it as well. Full disclosure: my father is a Canadian veteran.

Sitting on the bench & doing other things like nothing else is going on(this is what pissed Jim Kelly off in Buffalo a couple years ago) is totally disrespectful. Kneeling is respectful.

Sure in certain scenarios kneeling is a sign of respect.

Everyone knows that wasn’t what Kaepernick was portraying.

rcaido

Reaction score
pmedic920":25ecnunk said:
Hockey Guy":25ecnunk said:
sutz":25ecnunk said:
Washington49er":25ecnunk said:
Because you kneel for the fallen and stand for the flag.
Some of us veterans think we served to defend his right to kneel. :229031_shrug:

This is my take on it as well. Full disclosure: my father is a Canadian veteran.

Sitting on the bench & doing other things like nothing else is going on(this is what pissed Jim Kelly off in Buffalo a couple years ago) is totally disrespectful. Kneeling is respectful.

kneeling quietly is not a peaceful protest?

pmedic920

Reaction score
rcaido":3bdy7r91 said:
pmedic920":3bdy7r91 said:
Hockey Guy":3bdy7r91 said:
sutz":3bdy7r91 said:

kneeling quietly is not a peaceful protest?

That’s not at all what I said but I’ll address it.

Yes, kneeling quietly IS a peaceful protest. Peaceful does not equal “respectful”
In this particular scenario I see it as millions of others did/do, completely DISRESPECTFUL.

No real reason to debate it, no one here will change their mind.
Some see it as disrespectful, some don’t. Each side is entitled to the opinion they have.

Latest posts