NFLPA claims Denver acted illegally

Rosco

Reaction score
I really, really hope that these two contracts help end the "QB consuming large portions of the cap and holding a team for ransom". It sucks for the team AND the fans when a team is screwed for several years when their investment can't even come close to meeting the high expectations.
There’s an easy fix, the owners can get rid of the hard salary cap.

Welshers2

Reaction score
It will be bad for the Broncos if it goes.to arbitration.

There is clear evidence on record that a union complaint was filed 2 months before the benching, and the allegations in the complaint reflect exactly what allegedly occurred two months afterwards.

While not conclusive proof, it is overwhelming evidence against the Broncos that will be very difficult to discredit or undermine.

Russ is probably going to make more unearned bank off the Broncos due to their incompetence.
Where can I read about this evidence of a union complaint? Sorry I don't have time to search for it right now if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
The Donkey's problem is they were trying to have it both ways, and trying to redo contracts mid-season is a tricky thing unless you're just converting salary to bonus $$.

There would be nothing wrong with asking him to rework the deal as long as they weren't threatening him in any way.
There would also be nothing wrong with simply benching him to protect themselves from his contract.
They screwed up by threatening his job if he didn't rework his deal. I don't think they will face any severe consequences, but it was a douchey thing to do.
It's also weird that they're keeping him as the #2 because he could get injured that way too. Not shutting him down completely seems odd

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
That would be a terrible move, it's half the reason if not more that the league is overall fairly competitive. I don't want to see the NFL's richest owners buying championships.
The NFL's salary cap has been successful, for sure. Teams aren't able to stay on top via free agency, and the success of drafts is still the key. A small market team can win a championship with 3 good drafts in a row and some smart FA pickups.

ccla

Reaction score
The Donkey's problem is they were trying to have it both ways, and trying to redo contracts mid-season is a tricky thing unless you're just converting salary to bonus $$.

There would be nothing wrong with asking him to rework the deal as long as they weren't threatening him in any way.
There would also be nothing wrong with simply benching him to protect themselves from his contract.
They screwed up by threatening his job if he didn't rework his deal. I don't think they will face any severe consequences, but it was a douchey thing to do.
It's also weird that they're keeping him as the #2 because he could get injured that way too. Not shutting him down completely seems odd
But are you sure they threatened to bench him if he did not rework the contract? Csn they be that stupid? Or is this something that russ himself put out there? I mean, they could have implied it but that is not illegal, or is it?

RiverDog

Reaction score

I agree. There's no problem in my mind with benching him for any reason, football, financial, injury avoidance, or otherwise. It's the threat that I feel constitutes an unfair labor practice.

renofox

Reaction score
But are you sure they threatened to bench him if he did not rework the contract? Csn they be that stupid? Or is this something that russ himself put out there? I mean, they could have implied it but that is not illegal, or is it?
Two months before they benched him he filed a complaint with his union that they were threatening to bench him if he did not rework his contract mid-season.

IMO, this far exceeds the preponderance of evidence needed for civil matters. It actually moves beyond reasonable doubt.

Could RW and/or his team have made this all up two months before the fact as part of a leveraged preventative strategy?

Sure. But without convincing evidence it is just conjecture and not allowed as evidence in arbitration or any other civil proceeding.

flv2

Reaction score
That would be a terrible move, it's half the reason if not more that the league is overall fairly competitive. I don't want to see the NFL's richest owners buying championships.
1 like isn't enough for this post. The NFL has thrived when other sorts haven't because its so competitive. Weaker teams can turn things around in a short period of time without needing the richest owner.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Two months before they benched him he filed a complaint with his union that they were threatening to bench him if he did not rework his contract mid-season.

IMO, this far exceeds the preponderance of evidence needed for civil matters. It actually moves beyond reasonable doubt.

Could RW and/or his team have made this all up two months before the fact as part of a leveraged preventative strategy?

Sure. But without convincing evidence it is just conjecture and not allowed as evidence in arbitration or any other civil proceeding.
The fact that he filed a complaint to the union that he was threatened with benching is evidence of a threat? Not in my book. IMO there has to be something to corroborate Russell's accusation, otherwise it's just that, an unsupported accusation.

Besides, if it was a legitimate threat, why didn't they act on it when Russell called their bluff and refused to remove the clause? The fact that they continued to start Russell for 7 straight games after the supposed threat is evidence that there wasn't one. Russell could have wrongly implied a threat, misinterpreted what the Broncos said.

NoGain

Reaction score
The fact that he filed a complaint to the union that he was threatened with benching is evidence of a threat? Not in my book. IMO there has to be something to corroborate Russell's accusation, otherwise it's just that, an unsupported accusation.

Besides, if it was a legitimate threat, why didn't they act on it when Russell called their bluff and refused to remove the clause? The fact that they continued to start Russell for 7 straight games after the supposed threat is evidence that there wasn't one. Russell could have wrongly implied a threat, misinterpreted what the Broncos said.
They went on a win streak after that so they couldn't use his play as an excuse for benching him.

ccla

Reaction score
Guys and Gals,

You know what? It us not OUR problem. I thank <insert your deity here> that the Broncos were stupid enough to hire Russ last year. I, for one, was absolutely sure he was exposed as a has been, but luckily i was proven wrong!!!
All props to the front office for that one!!!!

Rosco

Reaction score
That’s BS. The NFL owners don’t pay the players. Players money comes out of TV contracts. The cap is a system setup to force players against each other when it comes to their contracts. There are no broke owners barely getting by in the NFL.

Torc

Reaction score
That’s BS. The NFL owners don’t pay the players. Players money comes out of TV contracts. The cap is a system setup to force players against each other when it comes to their contracts. There are no broke owners barely getting by in the NFL.
There are of course no owners that are waiting in soup lines. But there's rich, and then there's RICH. The Cowboys bring in 1.1 billion in revenue, compared with the Seahawks $550 million (in 2022). Remove the salary cap and the Cowboys become the Yankees, and the Seahawks become the Mariners, in MLB terms. There are probably owners that could (and would) take a loss and fund with their own money beyond team revenue if the cap weren't an issue. I'm thinking of the Broncos with Walton cash.

@RolandDeschain is right. The NBA and MLB have declining popularity and ratings. The NFL is increasing, and it is absolutely largely because in any given year any team has a shot to go to the playoffs. I for one have no desire to see the Cowboys in the Super Bowl every other year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Oh, my sweet summer child...

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are of course no owners that are waiting in soup lines. But there's rich, and then there's RICH. The Cowboys bring in 1.1 billion in revenue, compared with the Seahawks $550 million (in 2022). Remove the salary cap and the Cowboys become the Yankees, and the Seahawks become the Mariners, in MLB terms. There are probably owners that could (and would) take a loss and fund with their own money beyond team revenue if the cap weren't an issue. I'm thinking of the Broncos with Walton cash.

@RolandDeschain is right. The NBA and MLB have declining popularity and ratings. The NFL is increasing, and it is absolutely largely because in any given year any team has a shot to go to the playoffs. I for one have no desire to see the Cowboys in the Super Bowl every other year.
It's certainly one of the factors, but there's other reasons why MLB and NBA are declining in popularity besides parity. One is the length of the schedule. With 162 games in the MLB and 82 games in the NBA. In total, there are 1,230 regular season games in the NBA and 2,430 games in MLB. Compare that with 272 NFL games, so as a consequence there is more importance assigned to any given game. MLB and NBA games become commonplace, as opposed to an NFL game being the highlight of the week.

But your point is valid. The biggest single reason why NFL football is so entertaining is parity. It's too bad that college football is going the opposite direction with their rich getting richer and poor getting poorer model.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's so weird that Sean Payton would have a total disregard for the NFL conduct rules.

chrispy

Reaction score
In order for it to be a threat, the Broncos would have wanted RCW to continue playing without an injury clause. They didn't. They dont. It seems obvious to me, but maybe just plausible to most, that they really just want to move on.

I believe RCW was told they're done with him and, to protect themselves financially, they're benching him. If he wants to take that clause out, then there's no downside to the Organization so that's the only way he could continue to play. In RCWs mind, that's a threat. There's no possible reality where he's not the preferred option over Stidham. In truth, the Broncos wanted to bench him for numerous reasons but were open to allowing him more playtime... but only if the risk was removed.

Whether this is a threat or a favor to RCW is all in the presentation. That will be impossible to prove and would never impose any damage on the Broncos. The entire drama-fest is RCW being himself: the 50mil/yr victim. He hopes it increases his value in Free Agency but, in the meantime, he gets some ego stroke from RG3 and Ryan Clark and other talking heads.

The Broncos are done with him. Their lack of any response tells me they don't see him as even worth the PR group investing 30 minutes to write a statement.

Latest posts