NFLPA claims Denver acted illegally

GemCity

Reaction score
You know…icing on the cake would be that Denver acted illegally and they have to pay me3 a shit ton of money (in addition to what they owe).

Now…does that benefit Dangerwhich? Yes…but let’s be honest, he’s already loaded.

I’m not a Donkeys hater but, the talk of just needing a QB to win the SB coupled with the way Mr. Ciara left here, it would make me moist knowing that Carrington’s contract would affect them for years to come.

Additionally, teams would be less likely to sign the ol sack-o-potatoes to anything more than a journeyman contract.

Maybe I’m holding a bit of a grudge here but…”Broncos Country…let’s ride” hamstrung this organization for years and I want nothing but the worst to come his way professionally.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
It's so weird that Sean Payton would have a total disregard for the NFL conduct rules.
This.

Also, it's not that we think ME3 is getting shafted here (he already did that to both the Seahawks and the donkos), it's that if there is any chance of the donkos organization royally screwing themselves for both the present and the foreseeable future then I (and I'm sure most of us here) would love to watch that play out. :cool::cool::cool:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I would wonder if the coaching staff got with some of the players and said to not work as hard as they have been in the past. It will be worth their while to do less. Of course that would be conjecture. Or opinion since Me3 was the heart of the organization.

Torc

Reaction score
It's so weird that Sean Payton would have a total disregard for the NFL conduct rules.
Which rule is he breaking? Coach gets to pick which players are in the game. Is there language in the CBA or in Russ' contract that Payton is violating?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This.

Also, it's not that we think ME3 is getting shafted here (he already did that to both the Seahawks and the donkos), it's that if there is any chance of the donkos organization royally screwing themselves for both the present and the foreseeable future then I (and I'm sure most of us here) would love to watch that play out. :cool::cool::cool:

I'm no fan of how Russ left Seattle, but trying to bully one of your players into signing off on his injury clause............a clause YOUR organization was just fine with two years ago is pretty damn crappy IMO.

So I'm glad the Broncos are going to get spanked, and their stupid dumb ass disingenuous coach is in hot water.

Be done with Russ all you want, but to make threats and try to bully him into doing something he obviously wasn't comfortable with, and is actually illegally against NFL conduct and contract rules? That's just a bush league franchise man.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Which rule is he breaking? Coach gets to pick which players are in the game. Is there language in the CBA or in Russ' contract that Payton is violating?

Read the OP's article, and all shall be revealed.

Torc

Reaction score
Read the OP's article, and all shall be revealed.
The OP's "article" is a tweet with the first paragraph of a document alleging violations. I have yet to hear exactly what action the broncos took that was a violation of the CBA or the contract.

Benching a player? Teams do it all the time for performance or sometimes behavior.

Asking to renegotiate a contract? Teams do it all the time, usually to try to make cap space to sign other players. But the simple act of asking a player to renegotiate clearly isn't a violation. And the player can always decline to do so.

Benching a player specifically to avoid getting stuck with an injury protection clause? It worked for the Raiders and Derek Carr didn't complain to the NFLPA.

"Threatening him with being benched if he didn't renegotiate"? Again, not a violation to ask for a renegotiation, and not a violation to bench him. Unless it is. I can't say I've read either the CBA or the contract.

Maybe it's in the CBA that players can't get their feelings hurt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The OP's "article" is a tweet with the first paragraph of a document alleging violations. I have yet to hear exactly what action the broncos took that was a violation of the CBA or the contract.

Benching a player? Teams do it all the time for performance or sometimes behavior.

Asking to renegotiate a contract? Teams do it all the time, usually to try to make cap space to sign other players. But the simple act of asking a player to renegotiate clearly isn't a violation. And the player can always decline to do so.

Benching a player specifically to avoid getting stuck with an injury protection clause? It worked for the Raiders and Derek Carr didn't complain to the NFLPA.

"Threatening him with being benched if he didn't renegotiate"? Again, not a violation to ask for a renegotiation, and not a violation to bench him. Unless it is. I can't say I've read either the CBA or the contract.

The NFLPA disagrees with your contract legality expert opinion.

Either way it's a classless move by a classless organization that's now run by a classless coach who has a sordid history for doing shady crap. So I wouldn't put it past Payton to give no F's about what he was doing is a violation of the CBA or not.

RiverDog

Reaction score

I'm not sure if there has to be a clause in the contract that specifically addresses threats such as the one the Broncos supposedly issued to Russell Wilson in order for them to be in violation of the CBA and/or NY state law.

There is such a thing as negotiating in good faith, and an arbitrator may not view the issuance of a threat such as benching if the player did not accede to the team's request as being a legitimate business practice. It could be viewed as they would an attempted blackmail, which is obviously against the law.

In my personal opinion, such a threat as the one alleged by RW is not negotiating in good faith, but then again, I'm not a labor attorney.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Either way it's a classless move by a classless organization that's now run by a classless coach who has a sordid history for doing shady crap. So I wouldn't put it past Payton to give no F's about what he was doing is a violation of the CBA or not.
I agree.

Class A personalities, almost a prerequisite for an NFL head coach, often times think that they can do as they please, that the law does not apply to them. They don't have a sense of right and wrong, only what happens to work for them. I can absolutely see Payton telling some wimpy legal advisor that he doesn't give a rip if his proposed action was in violation of the CBA.

knownone

Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, if the NFLPA can't prove Sean Payton's involvement (and he currently denies any involvement), it's unlikely this will materialize into anything. The way Russell's argument has been presented thus far makes this seem like a minor grievance being used for PR.

Torc

Reaction score
The NFLPA disagrees with your contract legality expert opinion.

I don't have enough information to have an opinion. I just want to know what rule was violated, so I can start mocking the Broncos.

Rosco

Reaction score
There are of course no owners that are waiting in soup lines. But there's rich, and then there's RICH. The Cowboys bring in 1.1 billion in revenue, compared with the Seahawks $550 million (in 2022). Remove the salary cap and the Cowboys become the Yankees, and the Seahawks become the Mariners, in MLB terms. There are probably owners that could (and would) take a loss and fund with their own money beyond team revenue if the cap weren't an issue. I'm thinking of the Broncos with Walton cash.

@RolandDeschain is right. The NBA and MLB have declining popularity and ratings. The NFL is increasing, and it is absolutely largely because in any given year any team has a shot to go to the playoffs. I for one have no desire to see the Cowboys in the Super Bowl every other year.
There’s this thing called REVENUE SHARING in the NFL. The NFL doesn’t operate like MLB.
The National Football League raked in an all-time-high $11.9 billion in national (equally shared) revenue during the 2022 season, 7% more than the previous year. The league's 32 teams each took in $372 million from national media rights, league sponsorships, merchandising and licensing.Jul 11, 2023

there are owners that are CHEAP and there are owners who want to win.
IN THE NFL THERE ARE NO SMALL MARKET TEAMS.

Jville

Reaction score

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I really, really hope that these two contracts help end the "QB consuming large portions of the cap and holding a team for ransom". It sucks for the team AND the fans when a team is screwed for several years when their investment can't even come close to meeting the high expectations.
Dont sign QBs to that contract, let some other shite team handcuff themselves. I'm not giving big contracts to any single player (offense/defense). I used to make an exception for Maholmes, but he's not even carrying his team right now. Just not worth it.

rjas77

Reaction score
Well…In the Broncos organization’s defense..they won after Wilson gor benched

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Wasn’t ME3 saying that he wants to stay in Denver recently? But they “threatened” him 2 months ago that he was going to be benched if he didn’t change his contract? And now he is benched and still wants to stay? He is so full of shit all the time.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Someone else did the same thing today. It was interesting seeing it addressed on the bottom line on ESPN. Check it out. I just glimpsed it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't have enough information to have an opinion. I just want to know what rule was violated, so I can start mocking the Broncos.
There are certain standards of behavior that applies to all contracts, lease agreements, partnerships, etc., and one of them involves threats, coercion, intimidation, duress, undue influence, etc. I'm pretty sure that's what the NFLPA was referring to by claiming that the Broncos were in violation of NY State law.