Nice writeup on Geno.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
From the title - thought it was gonna be a big fluffy piece.

Been saying that the thing that I love about Geno is that he's not ONE thing. Several good examples in here about 'why' he's doing so well - and IMO, why BALANCE matters. I don't want TB12 or AR12. I don't want Lamar. I want a QB who sees and understands the balance and context, throws the short game, throws the long game, and can run when necessary. I want what we got!!!!

I didn't realize until seeing this article that the DK cardinals TD at the back of the end zone was thrown so EARLY.

Enjoy!

Mick063

Reaction score
More grudging concessions. More back handed compliments.

A "system" Quarterback not equal to Wilson or Stafford's prime. If you are talking about his play (right now) then, yes, it is equal. If you want to talk about a career body of work then, no, it isn't equal. When it comes to "storylines". I like the "opportunity angle" so much better than the "comparison angle". Why does every "compliment" have to be qualified with a comparison? I know why. Because "top ten lists" and "GOAT conversations" get the most clicks (and sports consumers are relentlessly pounded with it). It is apparently very profitable to compare. Ever see the movie "Trading Places"?

The talking heads, always hedging their bets and creating escape routes in order to create cover for their credibility in the event that what they are writing or saying falls apart. If the premise of this article is to reassure us that Geno is "for real", then act (and write) that way. Don't blow smoke up our %&# by declaring he is "for real" but compared to others he might not be "for real". Oxymoron logic. He isn't a "flash in the pan", but compared to others, he is a "flash in the pan" (an old gold panner reference from panning creeks for gold).

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
More grudging concessions. More back handed compliments.

A "system" Quarterback not equal to Wilson or Stafford's prime. If you are talking about his play (right now) then, yes, it is equal. If you want to talk about a career body of work then, no, it isn't equal. When it comes to "storylines". I like the "opportunity angle" so much better than the "comparison angle". Why does every "compliment" have to be qualified with a comparison? I know why. Because "top ten lists" and "GOAT conversations" get the most clicks (and sports consumers are relentlessly pounded with it). It is apparently very profitable to compare. Ever see the movie "Trading Places"?

The talking heads, always hedging their bets and creating escape routes in order to create cover for their credibility in the event that what they are writing or saying falls apart. If the premise of this article is to reassure us that Geno is "for real", then act (and write) that way. Don't blow smoke up our %&# by declaring he is almost "for real".
Wow - did we read the same article? I don't know much about the dude that wrote it - but I didn't take THAT away from it. I saw it as a confirmation of his 'current' mechanics and style, improved from earlier in his career - coupled with a couple nice highlights and explanation.

I also saw it as a confirmation of the fact that I don't want a one dimensional QB. Like when TB12 'tried' a run last season and Ariens said "Enough of that Sh**!". Like that kinda one dimensional. Or when Rodgers gets his fav receiver taken away and then looks mortal. THAT kinda one dimensional.

Edit: And I thought it fed nicely into the PC narrative about Geno from last week or so: "He's not running out of gas or anything. He knows what he's doing". Which is the opposite to the 'flash in the pan' some might take on his successes this year.

But..... Anyhow - maybe I missed something.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
Wow - did we read the same article? I don't know much about the dude that wrote it - but I didn't take THAT away from it. I saw it as a confirmation of his 'current' mechanics and style, improved from earlier in his career - coupled with a couple nice highlights and explanation.

I also saw it as a confirmation of the fact that I don't want a one dimensional QB. Like when TB12 'tried' a run last season and Ariens said "Enough of that Sh**!". Like that kinda one dimensional. Or when Rodgers gets his fav receiver taken away and then looks mortal. THAT kinda one dimensional.

Edit: And I thought it fed nicely into the PC narrative about Geno from last week or so: "He's not running out of gas or anything. He knows what he's doing". Which is the opposite to the 'flash in the pan' some might take on his successes this year.

But..... Anyhow - maybe I missed something.
If the author genuinely believes that Geno is for real, then he wouldn't qualify his compliments with (but not as good as prime Stafford or Wilson).

You have to ask yourself. What is the motivation to include such a comment? What does it have to do with anything that Geno has done this year? How does it even relate to the video breakdowns? How is it even connected to Geno having a great season? Was it thrown in there by accident? Nope. It wasn't. There is an agenda there. To paraphrase; He is good, but not THAT good. I'm just sick and tired of qualified "compliments".

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty much any praise for Seattle has to come with a but.........
Been that way for decades. And that's fine. Geno is proving it on the field, clearly he takes it and uses it. He has a major chip, and fire. Fun to watch.
Many media types just can't handle being wrong. They TRY to make it sound like they are admitting it, but really they are doing with a shoulder shrug.
It's actually better, because when a Seattle player proves them wrong, just makes it more satisfying. If it feels that good as a fan, imagine how it feels for the players.
Just like ADB and the "pedestrian receivers" etc. He used that big time, and he shut the so called "expert" with his play on the field.

toffee

Reaction score
I rather listen to Will Dissly, he simply said: "Don't talk about that guy anymore", when asked about our previous QB. To Will, he is on the Geno boat, pure and simple. With that, I think everyone on offense is in on the same boat. Our offense is functioning as an unit, that's how we win.

We have a versatile offense, great balance from WR to TE to RB, nicely orchestrated by Geno's arm and leg, yes Geno can still run. Our WR and TE got size and speed, our RBs can hurt you in many different ways.

And I am good with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Feelin like I missed the boat on this one - not sure how we got here - ;)

I thought it was a nice write up anyhow……

evergreen

Reaction score
Geno ain’t write back. He’s the best story this year. Yep

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Fantastic write up.

I have to admit I've been very skeptical of the idea of Geno being the starter going forward, going all the way to pre-season. These past few games have proven me wrong.

If Pete wants to keep Geno on as the starter, and build around him, I can live with that. I think Pete has earned his cred at the point. Him and John clearly knew what they were doing when they traded that other guy to the Donks.