No charges for Aldon Smith over bomb threat

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3j01l73i said:
Brahn":3j01l73i said:
Guilty until proven innocent.. followed by guilty even tho found innocent. Thus the World we live in today.
Finding someone innocent is WORLDS apart from not convicting them. Plus, let's get real, here; we KNOW Aldon Smith crashed his damn SUV into a tree while drunk as hell. :roll:

Yes, but that had nothing to do with what did or did not happen in the airport...which is what was in the news today.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":29d1vun0 said:
RolandDeschain":29d1vun0 said:
Brahn":29d1vun0 said:
Guilty until proven innocent.. followed by guilty even tho found innocent. Thus the World we live in today.
Finding someone innocent is WORLDS apart from not convicting them. Plus, let's get real, here; we KNOW Aldon Smith crashed his damn SUV into a tree while drunk as hell. :roll:

Yes, but that had nothing to do with what did or did not happen in the airport...which is what was in the news today.
But it has everything to do with the all-encompassing moral judgement I was directly responding to.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":23reb0bm said:
RolandDeschain":23reb0bm said:
Jesus Christ, this dude must have nine legal lives. I'm starting to wonder if authorities in the Bay area ever go after ANY celebrities/athletes.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/p ... 5868615723

LOL. Yeah, because peeps in LA just LOVE SF sports.

This was in LA dude, not in the Bay Area. Aldon told the team that he never said bomb and it would appear by the lack of charges that there is no evidence otherwise.

Aldon Smith is a liar and a coward. The lack of charges DOES NOT mean he did not say bomb at LAX.

I hope the judge throws the book at him at his sentencing hearing this month for his second DUI (.15 BAC) and felony weapons possessions charges for the illegal assault weapons discovered after two people were shot at his house party.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Doesn't change the fact that he is one dumb sumbish.

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
No charges for Colin Kaepernick , no charges for Aldon Smith...probably NO charges for Chris Culliver. Man this franchise is "blessed"!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
GLOCKHAWK":3qq6qb9r said:
No charges for Colin Kaepernick , no charges for Aldon Smith...probably NO charges for Chris Culliver. Man this franchise is "blessed"!
Maybe OJ is channeling the spirit of Johnny Cochran to get them some breaks behind the scenes.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Marvin49":28tszeeb said:
Kixkahn":28tszeeb said:
Explain something guys.... Browner gets indefinite suspension for not taking the drug tests and maybe guilty once. Things that will not effect others. Alden is caught with illegal guns, may have called out bomb in an airport and a few other things and he gets nothing? I am having trouble with Goodell and the rest of the "higher ups" in the NFL on stuff like this.

Well, as Loaf pointed out, Aldon hasn't faced the commish yet.

Also, PED tests (or not taking the test) is expressly addressed in the CBA. IE, there's no debate. You do it, you do the time.

With legal issues its much more grey. There is no "You did that, you get this" expressly written out.

That doesn't mean there is no punishment coming, it just means its not cut and dry and will be up to the commish.

My guess he'll be more lenient because PED rules are written into the CBA because it's addressing the issue of cheating within the sport. IE, the entire process is a league matter and something they govern. Legal issues outside the lines reflect badly on the team and will prompt "protect the shield" type behavior, but there is a separate body to govern the players actions off the field. Its called the legal system. It also isn't cheating.

I want to be clear...I'm not making any accusations of cheating or saying that cheating is somehow worse than Aldons offenses. I'm simply addressing the difference in how things may be viewed by the league office and the punishments doled out.

Smoking Cannabis isn't PED abuse, its Substance Abuse. Browner had 1 failed test on actuality in 2013 but was already placed in Stage 3 when he failed to show up for mandatory drug tests while he was working for the CFL. It wasn't a three strikes and you're out kind of deal, it was like being hit by a pitch then being told your out on a foul tip.

I doubt Aldon Smith gets anything, deservedly so or not, I guess some players are just have certain privileges on how they condone themselves outside of "the game". Players who dress in Crimson and Gold.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3hlycqpq said:
Marvin49":3hlycqpq said:
Kixkahn":3hlycqpq said:
Explain something guys.... Browner gets indefinite suspension for not taking the drug tests and maybe guilty once. Things that will not effect others. Alden is caught with illegal guns, may have called out bomb in an airport and a few other things and he gets nothing? I am having trouble with Goodell and the rest of the "higher ups" in the NFL on stuff like this.

Also, PED tests (or not taking the test) is expressly addressed in the CBA. IE, there's no debate. You do it, you do the time.

With legal issues its much more grey. There is no "You did that, you get this" expressly written out.

That doesn't mean there is no punishment coming, it just means its not cut and dry and will be up to the commish.

My guess he'll be more lenient because PED rules are written into the CBA because it's addressing the issue of cheating within the sport. IE, the entire process is a league matter and something they govern. Legal issues outside the lines reflect badly on the team and will prompt "protect the shield" type behavior, but there is a separate body to govern the players actions off the field. Its called the legal system. It also isn't cheating.

I want to be clear...I'm not making any accusations of cheating or saying that cheating is somehow worse than Aldons offenses. I'm simply addressing the difference in how things may be viewed by the league office and the punishments doled out.

Smoking Cannabis isn't PED abuse, its Substance Abuse. Browner had 1 failed test on actuality in 2013 but was already placed in Stage 3 when he failed to show up for mandatory drug tests while he was working for the CFL. It wasn't a three strikes and you're out kind of deal, it was like being hit by a pitch then being told your out on a foul tip.

I doubt Aldon Smith gets anything, deservedly so or not, I guess some players are just have certain privileges on how they condone themselves outside of "the game". Players who dress in Crimson and Gold.

It's actually eben worse than you describe.

The league should have imposed a 4 game suspension upon BB's return to the NFL when he signed with Seattle but they forgot. That little tidbit is a big factor in BB's case because there was no communication to him that he was advanced to stage 3 due to missing tests while out of the NFL so for them to jump past level three to level four with at one point a permanent suspension was ridiculous. At worse he should have had a 4 game suspension but the league deals with these situations as they see fit.

So yes there is a giant gray area surrounding BB's suspension and legitimate reason for him to sue the league. The real question is why has the league repeatedly looked the other way for the Niners? Brooks definitely should have been charge with assault with multiple witnesses who all gave signed statements and medical records to prove injury but it was swept under the rug by the DA after issuing a warrant that was pulled by someone above the DA before it was served and then the league chooses to look the other way.

Aldon has also had a ton of off field issues before all his current charges.

Another drunk in public arrest a week after the super bowl this year by another player on the team.

The Niners are single handedly giving the NFL a black eye and apparently one bad enough to completely close it's eye's altogether.

Makes one wonder if ol' Eddy D still has friends in the governing circle. We know he isn't above bribing government officials. I wonder how many events we haven't even heard about?

I wonder if Pete tells his guys you better stay clean. This isn't San Francisco where they administer their own drug testing and have connections and apparent black mail footage throughout the local government.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":7ys7mlrq said:
Marvin49":7ys7mlrq said:
Kixkahn":7ys7mlrq said:

Oops. My bad. Forgot it was weed.

Point still hold tho...weed expressly covered in CBA.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":12q7jq5z said:
Pandion Haliaetus":12q7jq5z said:
Marvin49":12q7jq5z said:
Kixkahn":12q7jq5z said:

It's actually eben worse than you describe.

The league should have imposed a 4 game suspension upon BB's return to the NFL when he signed with Seattle but they forgot. That little tidbit is a big factor in BB's case because there was no communication to him that he was advanced to stage 3 due to missing tests while out of the NFL so for them to jump past level three to level four with at one point a permanent suspension was ridiculous. At worse he should have had a 4 game suspension but the league deals with these situations as they see fit.

So yes there is a giant gray area surrounding BB's suspension and legitimate reason for him to sue the league. The real question is why has the league repeatedly looked the other way for the Niners? Brooks definitely should have been charge with assault with multiple witnesses who all gave signed statements and medical records to prove injury but it was swept under the rug by the DA after issuing a warrant that was pulled by someone above the DA before it was served and then the league chooses to look the other way.

Aldon has also had a ton of off field issues before all his current charges.

Another drunk in public arrest a week after the super bowl this year by another player on the team.

The Niners are single handedly giving the NFL a black eye and apparently one bad enough to completely close it's eye's altogether.

Makes one wonder if ol' Eddy D still has friends in the governing circle. We know he isn't above bribing government officials. I wonder how many events we haven't even heard about?

I wonder if Pete tells his guys you better stay clean. This isn't San Francisco where they administer their own drug testing and have connections and apparent black mail footage throughout the local government.

Oi. Nothing like a conspiracy theory I guess.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":ezgvr3yp said:
CALIHAWK1":ezgvr3yp said:
Marvin49":ezgvr3yp said:
RolandDeschain":ezgvr3yp said:
Jesus Christ, this dude must have nine legal lives. I'm starting to wonder if authorities in the Bay area ever go after ANY celebrities/athletes.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/p ... 5868615723

LOL. Yeah, because peeps in LA just LOVE SF sports.

This was in LA dude, not in the Bay Area. Aldon told the team that he never said bomb and it would appear by the lack of charges that there is no evidence otherwise.

Now that the Niners are decent they are on the wagon.

Clearly you don't know about the hatred between no cal and so cal.

Whats my name?

I know it between Dodgers and Giants. And north vs south in general. Well actually its northern cali hates southern cali and so cal doesnt know what nor cal is. What I also know is all those moronic Raiders fans seem to be thinning out and 9er fans seem to be multiplying. Hmmmmm??

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Thinking the LAX thing was going to amount to anything was purely wishful thinking on the parts of fans who root against the 9ers. From the moment the video was released to instantly kicking the charge for a "terrorist threat" down to a possible misdemeanor to the D.A. sitting on it and not doing anything it was pretty obvious this incident in particular was much ado about nothing.

As for the other cases that predate his rehab stint, as of right now the general expectation in the media is that he won't serve jail time and will probably be suspended for a game or two (factoring in the five he already missed while voluntarily in rehab last season, as Goodell said would factor in last year). Who knows, though. I think on the NFL side that's likely, but as for the judge and jail time, that's much more unpredictable. What is predictable however is that whatever does happen some Hawks fans will insist it was too lenient. ;)

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It'd just be nice to see stupidity be punished for once, Popeye. You're a moron if you use the word "bomb" in an airport. End of story, no exceptions, thanks for playing. I'd say the same thing if Russell Wilson or Richard Sherman did it, too - believe that.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1gorcuuh said:
It'd just be nice to see stupidity be punished for once, Popeye. You're a moron if you use the word "bomb" in an airport. End of story, no exceptions, thanks for playing. I'd say the same thing if Russell Wilson or Richard Sherman did it, too - believe that.
I don't believe anything should have happened from the deal, but I totally agree that anyone stupid enough to even think of saying that word under his breath in this day and age deserves to be flogged. That is 100 percent moron. But we already knew that when Smith bit on the hard count for the second time.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3tq35au1 said:
As for the other cases that predate his rehab stint, as of right now the general expectation in the media is that he won't serve jail time and will probably be suspended for a game or two (factoring in the five he already missed while voluntarily in rehab last season, as Goodell said would factor in last year). Who knows, though. I think on the NFL side that's likely, but as for the judge and jail time, that's much more unpredictable. What is predictable however is that whatever does happen some Hawks fans will insist it was too lenient. ;)

Going to rehab and taking 5 games to do it doesn't touch on the 3 firearm felonies. Don't lie to yourself Popeye, it's not like you. There are people in CA prisons right now serving nearly a year for having 2 high capacity mags that came with their pistols purchased out of state and others serving more for having more than one assault rifle. When Smith bought his firearms in AZ he had to present ID that stated he was a CA resident. This in turn required documentation that Smith knew not to bring it into CA.

It is not about leniency, it is about how we know Smith won't get anything like regular folk does when doing the same thing. Possibly nothing but probation. To think that the 5 games he took for rehab touches on the suspension for the felonies is being very optimistic and the media has NO idea what is really going to go down.

The media also said a deal would be made, that Smith would beat the charges altogether. 2 games is a bit light for 3 felonies assuming Roger counts the DUI convictions as covered. I think Smith somehow misses 4 games, I could be very, very wrong but it doesn't seem consistent with other suspensions.

Hey, Smith is going to miss games, ones that Bowman isn't available in and whether it is 2, 4 or 6 it comes with impact.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3cbcpwdp said:
Going to rehab and taking 5 games to do it doesn't touch on the 3 firearm felonies. Don't lie to yourself Popeye, it's not like you.

Was talking about the order of events. This predated the rehab, IIRC.

Also, in CA the firearm charges can be charged as felonies or misdemeanors in the sentencing.

It is not about leniency, it is about how we know Smith won't get anything like regular folk does when doing the same thing. Possibly nothing but probation. To think that the 5 games he took for rehab touches on the suspension for the felonies is being very optimistic and the media has NO idea what is really going to go down.

Yeah, "normal" people in CA do the same thing all the time. It gets reported on and nothing happens about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/0 ... 01394.html

In any case, more broadly what's "normal" for the legal system has a TON of variation, and that's before we even get into the vast, vast majority of folks making declarative statements without having the foggiest idea of what they're talking about, let alone in different states.* Agreed that sports reporters fall in this category too, though.

*Not implying this is the case w/ you in particular, just making a general observation.

The media also said a deal would be made, that Smith would beat the charges altogether.

Definitely never read anyone in the sports media argue that second point, let alone any of the 9ers reporters.

2 games is a bit light for 3 felonies assuming Roger counts the DUI convictions as covered. I think Smith somehow misses 4 games, I could be very, very wrong but it doesn't seem consistent with other suspensions.

Yeah, under the hypothetical that he doesn't do any jail time (which is a very realy hypothetical) anywhere between 2-4 games wouldn't surprise me at all. 6+ would surprise me probably the same amount as a tokenistic 1 game.

Hey, Smith is going to miss games, ones that Bowman isn't available in and whether it is 2, 4 or 6 it comes with impact.

I wasn't meaning to imply that it won't have an impact. That said, Aldon and Willis also missed a combined 8 games last year. Bowman and Aldon are both very, very, very likely to both be missing some combination of games and that will obviously have an effect, but depending on how many games those are, the 9ers could be better or worse off than the 8 games that Aldon and Willis missed last season (better is only possible if its the same or a similar number of games just b/c they didn't lose anybody, and the rookies might be improvements, Lemonier might develop, etc.). It will certainly have an impact, though.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1820hpdw said:

Ehh, I'm MUCH, MUCH more interested in heavier punishments for all of the non-victimless crimes committed by NFL players (rapes, cases of battery, sexual assaults, etc.) than punishing people for garden variety stupidity, which is essentially harmless. It doesn't mean that making a smart ass comment about a bomb in an airport isn't stupid (it is!), but it's way, way, way down the list of player malfeasance that might keep me up at night.