No Small?

Ruminator

Reaction score
Did he even play? Thought he would get a long hard look tonight but I didn't see him at all.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He played quite a bit at fullback and he was on the punt team. I have to say he is much better than I thought he would be. He has a decent chance to make the team.

Seafan

Reaction score
If the Hawks carry 2 QB, 2 TE and 9 OL they have room to carry Coleman, Ware and Small.

OP
OP
Ruminator

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm guessing he was in on offense only when Ware and Bronson were doing RB duties. I'll have to rewatch the second half when I'm much more awake.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
If Small didn't play at all with the first team, then might be an indication that he is practice squad bound. Or maybe they just wanted to get as much tape on Coleman as possible before they have to make their decision. I thought Coleman looked pretty good.

Seafan

Reaction score
If you had to risk Ware or Small to the practice squad who would you choose?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seafan":5lo485tu said:

I would be slightly concerned about the Jaguars picking up Small, but I think they could both conceivably make it to the PS.

sutz

Reaction score
Seafan":vl0e55p2 said:
Small. There is more tape out there on Ware. Small is more likely to go under the radar. ;)

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
I know this wont be a very popular opinion. But I think id keep Ware even over Turbin if it came down to it. The reason I say this is Ware is the closest RB to Marshawn lynch as far as running style. Thats IF he can keep that up in the NFL like he did in college. Being hurt last year theres not much supporting evidence right now. I just think Ware had a much higher ceiling than people give him credit for.

drrew

Reaction score
I think we have people getting way too hung up on what they think Ware could become and are blinded by the fact that even at LSU, his production has been mediocre at best.

At LSU in 2011 he averaged 4.0YPC. The other backs getting carries averaged 6.0, 6.9, and 5.4.
At LSU in 2012 he averaged 3.9YPC. The other backs getting carries averaged 5.3, 5.7, and 5.5.

He had two good preseason games last year and was mediocre in the 3rd. I think he not only doesn't make the team, I'm not sure there is much value in keeping him on the PS. He's 3rd string FB at best, and 4th or 5th string HB.

OP
OP
Ruminator

Ruminator

Reaction score
Turbin seems particularly determined this year to get noticed running the ball -- for positive reasons. Fighting for every yard, exercising more throttle/gun discipline instead of always gunning 100%, utilizing the stiff arm. This determination to keep growing in the role is encouraging as it won't be long before Lynch hangs it up.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":3prwjdyv said:
I know this wont be a very popular opinion. But I think id keep Ware even over Turbin if it came down to it. The reason I say this is Ware is the closest RB to Marshawn lynch as far as running style. Thats IF he can keep that up in the NFL like he did in college. Being hurt last year theres not much supporting evidence right now. I just think Ware had a much higher ceiling than people give him credit for.
I hate Turbin, but that's crazy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":99s2m3q1 said:
If Small didn't play at all with the first team, then might be an indication that he is practice squad bound. Or maybe they just wanted to get as much tape on Coleman as possible before they have to make their decision. I thought Coleman looked pretty good.
Coleman did look good.
Small will make the team, because when he lowers his pads, he can move people like a battering ram, and that is a big deal when you need that short yardage.

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm going off on a tangent here but Mack Strong would kick butt in this offense. (as a lead run blocker, blitz pickup, pass receiver)

Remember those preseason games where Strong would get carries and destroy practice squad dudes toting the ball on those sprint draws and simple dives? He would gash teams for 13-15 yard chunks in pre season. It didn't hurt to have that left side blocking for him though. Then when regular season rolled around, he went back to being a good receiver and run blocker. Pretty good on blitz pickups as well.

Strong is my measuring stick for a top notch fullback. Sheesh I wish Small was a young Mack Strong. So far, I'm not seeing it. Mostly no fault of Small's. Pete rarely lets the fullback tote the rock. Walrus ran them liberally.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Derrick Coleman played ten snaps and Small played just six.

49/65 snaps were without a fullback. The post-Michael Robinson Era appears to be one where the position is being phased out, which is highly unusual for a Pete Carroll offense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":pjyy1qoz said:
Derrick Coleman played ten snaps and Small played just six.

49/65 snaps were without a fullback. The post-Michael Robinson Era appears to be one where the position is being phased out, which is highly unusual for a Pete Carroll offense.
I think Pete is going with what's been working in the past few games.
I expect he'll dial up a Fullback lead every so often, just to keep the Defenses honest.

Latest posts