Not looking good

RussB

Reaction score
Still have luke and that new guy vanette. Shouldnt be too bad if hes out, i think they will trade him soon anyway. Hopefully hes back though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Victor Cruz was the first thing I thought when I heard it was a patella injury.

I've been operating ever since under the assumption that he doesn't play a down for us in 2016, honestly. Tries to get back in Week 1...starts on PUP...his return teased and highly anticipated every week like Harvin in '13...weekly drama...angsted for by players because we think our October struggles are because of his absence and not Pete throwing the first half of the season like he usually does...then IR'ed by November. Maybe catches a few passes in 2017, then leaves with a big fat meh.

Those patellas typically mean the player will never be the same.

Seafan

Reaction score
A statement about the seriousness of an injury. A lot of us know that tendon injuries are some of the most difficult to overcome. What has happened since JGs injury has been all positive. That blurb that was posted was not a report. It doesn't change anything since he was injured except explain to those who didn't understand before the seriousness of tendon injuries. Every one is different. You can't compare JG to Cruz. None of us know how badly Cruz' tendon was torn versus Jimmy's. None of us know the outcome of either surgery. None of us know how hard either trained.

What is positive is that Jimmy is doing well now and should be ready for camp. Whether he regains his speed and leg strength is to be seen and nothing we have learned so far would give us a hint.

Jimmy is still 6'-7" with long arms and big hands. If he regains close to the speed he had before the injury he is still going to be a heck of a big receiver.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seafan":1bk8jrf9 said:
A statement about the seriousness of an injury. A lot of us know that tendon injuries are some of the most difficult to overcome. What has happened since JGs injury has been all positive. That blurb that was posted was not a report. It doesn't change anything since he was injured except explain to those who didn't understand before the seriousness of tendon injuries. Every one is different. You can't compare JG to Cruz. None of us know how badly Cruz' tendon was torn versus Jimmy's. None of us know the outcome of either surgery. None of us know how hard either trained.

What is positive is that Jimmy is doing well now and should be ready for camp. Whether he regains his speed and leg strength is to be seen and nothing we have learned so far would give us a hint.

Jimmy is still 6'-7" with long arms and big hands. If he regains close to the speed he had before the injury he is still going to be a heck of a big receiver.
EXACTLY.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smellyman":3iqd3q9s said:
I am not a doctor, but I play one on the internet.
How's it working out? I'm guessing awesome since others here make up bullshit like it's fact and they are either on the team or some super inside guy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2e0ka19n said:
Victor Cruz was the first thing I thought when I heard it was a patella injury.

I've been operating ever since under the assumption that he doesn't play a down for us in 2016, honestly. Tries to get back in Week 1...starts on PUP...his return teased and highly anticipated every week like Harvin in '13...weekly drama...angsted for by players because we think our October struggles are because of his absence and not Pete throwing the first half of the season like he usually does...then IR'ed by November. Maybe catches a few passes in 2017, then leaves with a big fat meh.

Those patellas typically mean the player will never be the same.
Never change Montana it's central to your internet persona trust me. You are one of the few jokers beyond the obvious I might actually take the effort to meet.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
We have plenty of offensive weapons. I wouldn't worry one bit if JG cant play. If he plays, he is another great weapon in our O. That is all he is.

Smellyman

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":2r8qk1kq said:
We have plenty of offensive weapons. I wouldn't worry one bit if JG cant play. If he plays, he is another great weapon in our O. That is all he is.

You're right. Hawks have a lot of really good players. A healthy Jimmy is a true 'Weapon' though. Him and RW are true 'cannot be stopped' kind of guys.

Rob12

Reaction score
This "report" did nothing to derail the controlled level of optimism that I have for Jimmy Graham being a contributing member for the 2016 Seahawks. Nothing at all new was learned here.

We all know what this injury usually means. But who are the case studies based on? Explosive players. Wide receivers, like Victor Cruz (6 feet, 204 pounds), or running backs like Ryan Williams (5'9", 207).

Find me a comparative player who fits Jimmy Graham's mold. Find me a 6'7", 260 pound tight end with 35" arms who thrives on being so much bigger than everyone else on the field. He's not an explosive speedster that relies on getting massive separation to make plays.

If he recovers at an 80 or 90 percent rate, he's still a highly valuable piece to the offense. I am more worried about Bevell being able to get him involved than I am about his knee. He's been off of crutches for a few months now and by all reports, his recovery is going very well. I don't know if he'll be ready by Week 1, and I don't really care. I hope the team takes his recovery slowly. Someone brought up the comparison to Percy Harvin earlier, but personally, I won't be pining for Graham's return. This offense has a plethora of weapons and Graham will be just be icing on the cake when he is ready.

I think the Seahawks will move on from him in 2017, though. That $10M cap hit is going to be tough to absorb. But who knows - if he can return and set a new precedent with this type of injury, he may be worth it.

But honestly, comparing Graham to other players who have sustained this injury is a complete apples and oranges way of looking at things, IMO.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Rob12":24ukoqtx said:
This "report" did nothing to derail the controlled level of optimism that I have for Jimmy Graham being a contributing member for the 2016 Seahawks. Nothing at all new was learned here.

We all know what this injury usually means. But who are the case studies based on? Explosive players. Wide receivers, like Victor Cruz (6 feet, 204 pounds), or running backs like Ryan Williams (5'9", 207).

Find me a comparative player who fits Jimmy Graham's mold. Find me a 6'7", 260 pound tight end with 35" arms who thrives on being so much bigger than everyone else on the field. He's not an explosive speedster that relies on getting massive separation to make plays.

If he recovers at an 80 or 90 percent rate, he's still a highly valuable piece to the offense. I am more worried about Bevell being able to get him involved than I am about his knee. He's been off of crutches for a few months now and by all reports, his recovery is going very well. I don't know if he'll be ready by Week 1, and I don't really care. I hope the team takes his recovery slowly. Someone brought up the comparison to Percy Harvin earlier, but personally, I won't be pining for Graham's return. This offense has a plethora of weapons and Graham will be just be icing on the cake when he is ready.

I think the Seahawks will move on from him in 2017, though. That $10M cap hit is going to be tough to absorb. But who knows - if he can return and set a new precedent with this type of injury, he may be worth it.

But honestly, comparing Graham to other players who have sustained this injury is a complete apples and oranges way of looking at things, IMO.

Id be fine with him missing the first 6-8 games or however long it takes for him to be fully fine and then add him in during the 2nd half/playoff push giving opponents new looks

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Hopefully it works out for Jimmy, but being a guy myself who had this exact injury over four years ago (along with a meniscus tear, dislocation and a partial tear of the MCL), I can say you are never the same. What Jimmy does have going for him is he is about 10 years younger than me when it happened, in his prime physically and has some of the best doctors and rehabbers to work with him, something I did not have. I had a botched surgery and had to have a second one, now I don't have any cartilage in my left knee and two knees with constant pain (over compensating for four plus years wares on both knees badly).

So do I think a guy who is in great shape and has some of the best people and facilities to work with can come back from this injury, sure, but after going through the process myself for multiple years now I won't hold my breath he will ever be the guy we saw for years in New Orleans or even the guy we started to see develop with Russell at the end of last year, it's really is to bad because this injury is a rough one to fully come back from.

two dog

Reaction score
I can say with a small amount of authority that nobody can make absolute statements
about recovery from this injury.

Working as an electrician I popped both my patellar tendons in one accident. The tendons
were re-attached with metal screws and it takes some time for them to regenerate.
I literally had to learn to walk again and did so just by watching other people. How far do you
lift the foot and how far do you swing it before you set it down ? Sounds stupid until you try to
live life as a rag doll from the knees down.

I had physical therapy for about 6 month. Now, I think it is important to note that BOTH is very
different than ONE blown tendon. Also Jimmy's therapy has to be several magnitudes greater than
mine. Both because it is more professional and focused and because he is, conservatively, about
1000 time the athlete I ever was.

I really don't think there is a big enough catalog of this type of injury that people, even qualified people,
can say with any degree of certainty that this or that will happen. They may claim to know but few, if any,
are able to do so without several disclaimers.

When you reach a certain level of accomplishment in your field, as the Seahawks surely have, there
will always people who will "Prisco" you just to stay in practice. Believe what you want and we'll see
how it turns out because I don't believe anyone knows for sure.

I can only hope for the best for JG. If his recovery takes longer than anticipated, please be his friend 12's,
not his judges.