O-line improvement

StoneCold

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea if they will get better, but history says they will. Based on preseason I expected them to be better than they were, not great, but certainly better than what we saw. The Hawk's have always started slow under Pete. Most of the seasons we've been 500 after the first 4 - 6 games. I am generally optimistic, but they were worse than any Oline I've ever seen and am struggling to see how it improves.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
My question earlier about timetable for growth is one I'll ask again. Pete just said the breakdown was due primarily to communication issues. So, is that something that can be resolved sooner than later? I'll give the benefit of the doubt because it was Game 1 with the real bullets flying and most are in new positions.

idle Eric

Reaction score
Do you really think its communication ? The party line more often than not is a deflection from the truth for team stability reasons - Pete won't call out his players publicly (quite rightly). Pete says it's communication, Cable says there getting better and he's excited etc etc etc ! Technically and physically they are not good enough.
Maybe just maybe my window being closed for this once in a generation D and QB statement may be wrong.... but my prediction of not making the play offs and sacking the two main Offensive coaches has to be right . Not only that but the new coaches coming in won't have long to turn the mess around before the window has shut for this generation of superstars !
It's a tragedy that this talent is being wasted. And the Deffence knows it . Hence the underlying unrest between the O and D.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
This whole O-line situation reminds me of when somebody is going to tell a joke, and they start by saying "Stop me if you've heard this before."

Yes, Pete, we've heard it before.

Ad nauseam.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
idle Eric":1l984uas said:
Do you really think its communication ? The party line more often than not is a deflection from the truth for team stability reasons - Pete won't call out his players publicly (quite rightly). Pete says it's communication, Cable says there getting better and he's excited etc etc etc ! Technically and physically they are not good enough.
Maybe just maybe my window being closed for this once in a generation D and QB statement may be wrong.... but my prediction of not making the play offs and sacking the two main Offensive coaches has to be right . Not only that but the new coaches coming in won't have long to turn the mess around before the window has shut for this generation of superstars !
It's a tragedy that this talent is being wasted. And the Deffence knows it . Hence the underlying unrest between the O and D.
I guess I would have to know how much miscommunication would play a part in the ZBS breaking down as bad as it did Sunday. There were 1-on-1 matchups where the DL made one bullrush and he was past Joeckel, Obi, etc... How will that be corrected?

I think it's way too soon to be gauging playoff chances, which are 4 months down the road, or potential coaching changes. We are one of the elite organizations in the game right now and a season-opening loss doesn't change that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Of course you are right on the playoffs angle. They will get better. How much remains to be seen, they couldn't get much worse, but I suppose that is unfortunately possible.

My concern is that given the demonstrable inability to run block or pass protect there was little adjustment to a new reality of an OLine sieve in terms of the plays called.

There is a naturally overreaction by fans who bought into the nonsense promoted by Coach Cable that the OLine would be improved upon seeing how awful the OLine was against GB. Never again will I accept that nonsense until the Oline is demonstrably improved.

That 3 man jail break pass rush with our OLine standing looking lost is a difficult image to quickly forget. The OLine was simply awful and that is being charitable. Wilson not getting hurt was fortunate.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":rcsno0f2 said:
Is this considered Year 1 or Year 2 for this line -- many of the same faces, but in different positions? If you look at their ages, they're a pretty young bunch. What really is the reasonable timetable for their growth as a unit?

When the beard hits the ground...they have arrived.

3f9406afa9ee46f4dd  th century vintage photography

cymatica

Reaction score
Seymour":3u3wzar5 said:
Siouxhawk":3u3wzar5 said:
Is this considered Year 1 or Year 2 for this line -- many of the same faces, but in different positions? If you look at their ages, they're a pretty young bunch. What really is the reasonable timetable for their growth as a unit?

3f9406afa9ee46f4dd  th century vintage photography

This o-line disaster has created some funny material, can't remember laughing at so many posts in such a short time

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":3ht09lme said:
Seymour":3ht09lme said:
Siouxhawk":3ht09lme said:

This o-line disaster has created some funny material, can't remember laughing at so many posts in such a short time

Comic relief is all we got at the moment. It is part of the recovery process. :twisted: :2thumbs:

MooseKnuckleChuck

Reaction score
So as I remain a faithful Charger , my wife has decided to move on to the Seahawks. Already has a Jersey and a hat we picked up last week coming back down from AK.

We watched the game this past week and was under the impression the Hawks had a hard time at the LOS during offense as well. Defense looked great but tired out quickly. It was a pretty boring game actually so I couldn't get too into it. That will change once I get into the team.

I can definitely relate on the O Line. Over the last 3-4 seasons Rivers turns into a turnover machine after 4-5 games in because our O-Line drops like flies. We have no depth.

If I am going to follow this team I want to get into some of the players I don't hear about in highlights. If you guys might want to help me with any players drafted you are excited about or dependable players that don't get recognition. Any drama currently happening that isn't in national news would be helpful, if any. I am currently going through some threads to see what the consensus is on current issues.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
massari":l4nwxs7k said:
It's kind of confusing why they're willing to spend the draft capital/cap room on Richardson as soon as McDowell goes down but not on the OL when Fant get hurt. Tobin is a scrub. Maybe there's just no one available?

With the Browns seemingly in rebuild mode, you'd think they'd be willing to deal 33 year old Joe Thomas for some high picks.

They don't want to bring in any good vets on the online cause then cable will finally get called out for having a terrible system. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foghawk

Reaction score
MooseKnuckleChuck":3139nx6z said:
So as I remain a faithful Charger , my wife has decided to move on to the Seahawks. Already has a Jersey and a hat we picked up last week coming back down from AK.

We watched the game this past week and was under the impression the Hawks had a hard time at the LOS during offense as well. Defense looked great but tired out quickly. It was a pretty boring game actually so I couldn't get too into it. That will change once I get into the team.

I can definitely relate on the O Line. Over the last 3-4 seasons Rivers turns into a turnover machine after 4-5 games in because our O-Line drops like flies. We have no depth.

If I am going to follow this team I want to get into some of the players I don't hear about in highlights. If you guys might want to help me with any players drafted you are excited about or dependable players that don't get recognition. Any drama currently happening that isn't in national news would be helpful, if any. I am currently going through some threads to see what the consensus is on current issues.

Welcome to the .Net MKC, you picked a fiery week to join. :D

My youngest brother is a die hard Chargers fan, and he's still hanging in there. We've pounded our chests and complained to each other over our teams for years, he wasn't too happy with their OL play either the other night. Still, they looked a bit better than the Hawks OL.

Anyways, you should find some good info, links, and knowledge in the various forums.

:2thumbs:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
StoneCold":3ibwx1ws said:
I honestly have no idea if they will get better, but history says they will. Based on preseason I expected them to be better than they were, not great, but certainly better than what we saw. The Hawk's have always started slow under Pete. Most of the seasons we've been 500 after the first 4 - 6 games. I am generally optimistic, but they were worse than any Oline I've ever seen and am struggling to see how it improves.

Love the post. Here is the thing though and this has been something posted throughout the .NET that is simply not true. The PC era of Seahawk football does not always start of slow.

2010: First 6 games. 4-2
2011: First 6 games. 2-4
2012: First 6 games. 4-2
2013: First 6 games. 5-1(First 12 games 11-1)
2014: First 6 games. 3-3
2015: First 6 games. 2-4
2016: First 6 games. 4-2

PC era.
2 Slow starts the first 6 games
1 mediocre start the first 6 games.
3 good starts the first 6 games.
1 Great start the first 6+ games.

Saying the PC era always starts off slow is a falsity. I know it is close but IMO "most" would mean a more than a 50% total.

mrt144

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":61hj2ns8 said:
StoneCold":61hj2ns8 said:

Love the post. Here is the thing though and this has been something posted throughout the .NET that is simply not true. The PC era of Seahawk football does not always start of slow.

2010: First 6 games. 4-2
2011: First 6 games. 2-4
2012: First 6 games. 4-2
2013: First 6 games. 5-1(First 12 games 11-1)
2014: First 6 games. 3-3
2015: First 6 games. 2-4
2016: First 6 games. 4-2

PC era.
2 Slow starts the first 6 games
1 mediocre start the first 6 games.
3 good starts the first 6 games.
1 Great start the first 6+ games.

Saying the PC era always starts off slow is a falsity. I know it is close but IMO "most" would mean a more than a 50% total.

It's wound licking revisionism. It allows for the possibility of improvement while keeping the overall integrity of the team intact.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1stco7u9 said:
My question earlier about timetable for growth is one I'll ask again. Pete just said the breakdown was due primarily to communication issues. So, is that something that can be resolved sooner than later? I'll give the benefit of the doubt because it was Game 1 with the real bullets flying and most are in new positions.

Well according to the Minnesota Vikings, it takes about a month to have a serviceable Oline.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
They were analysing the O-Line performance on NFL this week on the BBC. On one of the plays, one of the Seahawks appeared to be holding open an imaginary door for the opponent to go through to get to Russell Wilson.

If it gets any worse. Eddie Butler who has inflicted it for years on Rugby and now Football, will start reciting more of his poetry, this time about the Seahwaks O-Line.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":wljsasjl said:
Siouxhawk":wljsasjl said:

Well according to the Minnesota Vikings, it takes about a month to have a serviceable Oline.
What are the Vikings basing that on, this year's version of their line? I'm not sure that they are the proper authorities to be doling out that kind of wisdom.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3ugw5nfa said:
pittpnthrs":3ugw5nfa said:
Siouxhawk":3ugw5nfa said:

What are the Vikings basing that on, this year's version of their line? I'm not sure that they are the proper authorities to be doling out that kind of wisdom.

Compared to us they are an authority.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/12/vikings-offensive-line-answers-plenty-of-questions-in-opener/