O-line

pehawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jrhqi2j said:
Smellyman":1jrhqi2j said:
Huge props. Give RW a bit of time and look out.

The only thing that worried me was great today, rushing and pass pro. Amazing.

It's worth mentioning that Wilson's two big passes to Willson barely involved the offensive line. The first was a half-rollout to the right, and the second was a three-step drop and lob to a mismatch.

But don't let me get in the way of a popular, oversimplified narrative...

You need to either read the post again or take centrum silver. It makes little sense.

The offensive line hasnt been as bad as people have been saying. They get put in difficult circumstances, alot. Last night Wilson and Bevell actually exploited mismatches and called blitz beaters. I'm still shocked by it....truly shocked. If the Hawks have that down now, wow, they're unstoppable.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I agree with Pe and I'm going to add that we haven't had a healthy line all year.A lot of 2/3/4th stringers have gotten playing time..There are others such as Okung who has a torn labrum in shoulder that have played hurt..We don't need
a Dallas line to win because we can win doing what Russ does-creating and exploiting..I know a bunch of teams couldn't handle what the Hawks have had to with a make do line all season..It's really amazing to me.

northseahawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":192fzlpt said:
Bailey @100% > Okung@60%.

Okung@100% > Bailey@100%. Not even close.

The problem is that Okung is all too rarely at 100%.

On what basis do you say that? All I see from Okung is penalties and beaten by his guy as often britt is.

Highlordb

Reaction score
i thought the overall game plan of quick passes, not giving the defense time to even get to RW, was smart, additionally, i am sick of okungs holdiing penalties all season, regardless of him always being hurt. He's a great player but the dude has been schooled most of this season. Bailey played well, as did Britt.

Hawks46

Reaction score
olyfan63":2dyr7c8q said:

This. I said something similar in the game day forum.

Believe it or not, Okung is a better run blocker than Bailey. And when he's healthy, Okung is one of the best pass protecting LT's in the NFL. He's just rarely healthy.

For what we're paying both players ? Bailey is clearly better, plus he's on the field more. But don't worry, Bailey still got his required pre snap penalty this game. :evil:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2dqpllal said:
Collectively, the O-line had its best game of the season. Good time to have it too. Both Okung and Unger were out - Bailey and Lewis replaced them nicely. Britt played his best game, Sweezy playing hurt was looking like a pro-bowler out there. Cable really did a nice job this week with his guys and it showed. Nice game plan to use the Cardinals' defensive aggressiveness against them. It worked.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Best game of the year, by far considering no Okung or Unger AND a last minute center switch.

That's what makes Pete better than everyone else, his coaching decisions aren't predicated on being paralyzed by the fear that his backups will fail. SO many coaches do that, just put in a veteran or who they think will screw up the least.........as opposed to young hungry players who will shine when all they need is the opportunity.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Smellyman":2dnkceyf said:
MontanaHawk05":2dnkceyf said:
Smellyman":2dnkceyf said:

It's worth mentioning that Wilson's two big passes to Willson barely involved the offensive line. The first was a half-rollout to the right, and the second was a three-step drop and lob to a mismatch.

so the line didn't have their best game of the year? run blocking and pass pro?

for the highest total yards in Seahawk history.....

They've been run-blocking well all year.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":2pzu4mgc said:
olyfan63":2pzu4mgc said:

On what basis do you say that? All I see from Okung is penalties and beaten by his guy as often britt is.

You're watching a different game my friend. I'm pretty sure up until a couple of weeks ago Okung had given up among the fewest sacks in the league, maybe even 0? He also had a decent stretch without a penalty. The lapses are annoying and his health more so, but when healthy he's one of the best tackles in the league and was absolutely worthy of his Pro Bowl a couple of years ago.

He makes a very difficult case for retention. Not healthy enough to pay a lot of money, not unreliable enough to cut. If he wants to stay here then I think he'll have to take a low-guarantee/high incentive contract, I just don't think we'd be comfortable extending him on upper-tier tackle money, which is what he/his agent will probably be after.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Everybody contributed to the offensive success. Crediting the O-Line with improved pass protection doesn't ignore that it was probably RW's best performance for us. Of course they are connected and RW getting the ball out quickly on good play calls helps, but that connection goes both ways. The communication seemed especially good given that Lewis was playing, and it will be interesting to hear this week how that played out.

If our entire offense - including the O-Line - plays like this in the playoffs then we are winning the Super Bowl again. That's a good thing and pointing it out doesn't diminish the importance of any one area.

SomersetHawk":1ijy4nu4 said:
when healthy he's one of the best tackles in the league and was absolutely worthy of his Pro Bowl a couple of years ago.
I think most will agree that the main problem with Okung is health, but at this point what do we really know about him playing at 100%? He missed the offseason with the toe and then has been playing the middle of this season through the torn labrum in his shoulder he suffered in week 2 or week 3. That Bears game was a few years ago now and a lot of injuries, and the recent sample size of healthy Okung play is fairly small. Britt has also been getting a lot of attention from opposing rushers leaving whoever our LT has been with easier responsibilities.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
pehawk":16x15oyt said:
MontanaHawk05":16x15oyt said:
Smellyman":16x15oyt said:

You need to either read the post again or take centrum silver. It makes little sense.

The offensive line hasnt been as bad as people have been saying. They get put in difficult circumstances, alot. Last night Wilson and Bevell actually exploited mismatches and called blitz beaters. I'm still shocked by it....truly shocked. If the Hawks have that down now, wow, they're unstoppable.

It truly was beautiful to see. This is the kind of thing lots of folks on .NET have been begging for for a couple of years now. If they can replicate that level of playcalling/execution going forward... wow.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
northseahawk":2cr4hmkv said:
olyfan63":2cr4hmkv said:

2 in Week 3
3 in Week 4
2 in Week 5
1 in Week 15

That is Okung's penalty record this year. He had a 9-game stretch without a single penalty. I won't deny he had an ugly September, but it's probably relevant that he was playing injured at the time.

And as others have said, Okung has given up almost no sacks. Yes, a lot of that is because Wilson escapes a lot of sacks, but if we're gonna go there, we'd have to talk about how often Wilson bails on the pocket instead of staying in and throwing.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
hawkfan68":7vqf3bp2 said:
Collectively, the O-line had its best game of the season. Good time to have it too. Both Okung and Unger were out - Bailey and Lewis replaced them nicely. Britt played his best game, Sweezy playing hurt was looking like a pro-bowler out there. Cable really did a nice job this week with his guys and it showed. Nice game plan to use the Cardinals' defensive aggressiveness against them. It worked.
Lewis? I didn't even notice until it was mentioned here. I thought JeanPierre was playing Center. Did he get hurt or moved? Confused.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":kr2u7yoz said:
hawkfan68":kr2u7yoz said:
Lewis? I didn't even notice until it was mentioned here. I thought JeanPierre was playing Center. Did he get hurt or moved? Confused.

Patrick Lewis practiced all week at center because LJP was moved to RG (while Sweezy was hurt). I guess they just decided to go with Lewis for this game. He played well.

Nog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":27vevv2j said:
northseahawk":27vevv2j said:
olyfan63":27vevv2j said:

2 in Week 3
3 in Week 4
2 in Week 5
1 in Week 15

That is Okung's penalty record this year. He had a 9-game stretch without a single penalty. I won't deny he had an ugly September, but it's probably relevant that he was playing injured at the time.

And as others have said, Okung has given up almost no sacks. Yes, a lot of that is because Wilson escapes a lot of sacks, but if we're gonna go there, we'd have to talk about how often Wilson bails on the pocket instead of staying in and throwing.
I really wanna see the stats for pressure and hits given up on Okung side.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1lghbmks said:
northseahawk":1lghbmks said:
olyfan63":1lghbmks said:

2 in Week 3
3 in Week 4
2 in Week 5
1 in Week 15

^^^ This.
It was obvious even to my untrained eye that the vast majority of Okung's pre-snap were because he was trying to compensate for his (assortment of) injuries. As a LT normally going up against the other team's #1 pass rusher, and not being 100%, he was trying for any and every small edge he could give himself. Not to mention whatever holding penalties he picked up; a healthy Okung rarely gets tagged with holding.

The thing about Okung, is that when he's healthy and doing a great job, we hardly notice him; what we notice is that Russell is playing well, or Bevell is calling a great game. When he's banged up and playing as a shell of himself, we notice that he's sucking really badly, and it's just that Carroll/Bevell/Cable don't feel like the next man up would be a better option. Kudos to Alvin Bailey for continuing to do the work to be a better option than a banged-up Okung. Nothing but respect and love for Bailey. He is a massive upgrade over 2013 Turnstile McQuistan in the LT fill-in role. And I like him a little better than Carp at LG, but Pete/Darrell/Tom seem to go with Carp when he's healthy. Bailey was in for for an injured Carp in the 350-yard rushing game vs the Giants, IIRC. Bailey was in for Okung for last night's 597-yard team record performance.

Even so, (a healthy) Okung is a whole additional level up vs. speed pass rushers compared to Bailey. My sense is that Bailey is nearly as good a run blocker as Okung; maybe even better on "brute force" type plays. It's just that in pass pro, with Okung healthy, vs. edge rushers, there is no comparison, Okung by a lot. Bailey looked reasonably OK in pass pro vs AZ because AZ didn't have any elite edge rushers on the field.

SomersetHawk":1lghbmks said:
You're watching a different game my friend. I'm pretty sure up until a couple of weeks ago Okung had given up among the fewest sacks in the league, maybe even 0? He also had a decent stretch without a penalty. The lapses are annoying and his health more so, but when healthy he's one of the best tackles in the league and was absolutely worthy of his Pro Bowl a couple of years ago.

He makes a very difficult case for retention. Not healthy enough to pay a lot of money, not unreliable enough to cut. If he wants to stay here then I think he'll have to take a low-guarantee/high incentive contract, I just don't think we'd be comfortable extending him on upper-tier tackle money, which is what he/his agent will probably be after.

I, for one, expect and hope the Seattle FO to make Okung a good offer and try to keep him in a 'Hawk uniform for several more years. It's especially hard to dog on Okung that badly after the whole Trent Cole cheap shot and Okung torn pec fiasco. Okung has really had $h!t for luck. I think we could get another good 5 years out of him and have the odds be that he is much more available and healthy those next 5 years than he has been his first 4. Okung has given his full effort and every bit of his health and body for the team. To me, people constantly dogging on Okung is about like them dogging on Irvin the last couple years. When you have guys like that who give their all, physically, mentally, emotionally, and have the NFL-level physical talent, you need to stick with them. In Irvin's case, it was learning to play NFL LB, overcoming the "injury" of not getting earlier development and coaching. In Okung's case, it's working through injuries, including that criminal Trent Cole incident. I just can't see Okung continuing to be as star-crossed as he's been.

pehawk":1lghbmks said:

YESSS!!! Bevell finally got with the program and did the things an OC *should* do, plan how to exploit an opponent's weaknesses. I share that shock... makes me wonder if Russell typed up a scouting report for Bevell. If that's how it went down, to Bevell's credit, he at least had the good sense to listen and collaborate with Russell and implement the blitz-beaters we saw last night, and be ready with Luke Willson as the hot-read matchup answer.

To paraphrase historical statesmen including JFK, "Every success has a thousand fathers, but every failure is on Bevell".

I tend to think that Bevell, Cable, and Wilson did an extra-high-quality job of putting their heads together this week and coming up with ways to burn this blitz-happy AZ defense, and put the OL and Russell in fewer likely-failure situations.

chet380

Reaction score
Nog":7zfiwcpa said:
MontanaHawk05":7zfiwcpa said:
northseahawk":7zfiwcpa said:
olyfan63":7zfiwcpa said:

2 in Week 3
3 in Week 4
2 in Week 5
1 in Week 15

I really wanna see the stats for pressure and hits given up on Okung side.

Look them up and post them if you're going to make an issue about them.

Can't stop the carping even though the guy plays with serious shoulder and chest wall injuries.