O-Line

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Would LOVE to see Jack Conklin on the Right side of this line. And he's only 25 years old.
Though there's a lot of talk that he may end up with the Jets.

toffee

Reaction score
How good is Fant at LT? Is he merely adequate or above average? If 3 years in, he is still sorta unsure ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
toffee":269ymxyu said:
How good is Fant at LT? Is he merely adequate or above average? If 3 years in, he is still sorta unsure ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fant played quite well on the left side subbing for Brown until Brown could come back. His first line stint came on the right side. I could be mistaken but I thought he even briefy played guard a couple years ago. Not certain on that though. He was signed on athleticism having only played one season of football in college. Prior to that he played on the basketball team. W Kentucky I think it was. As to his salary range, I'm not sure what that is Might be a league mandated thing based on his draft round and length of tenure. I just don't know. Jamma has all that stuff figured out, maybe here...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162869
But I doubt Fant's cost would be as much or more than a replacement would cost unless you can land a fresh draftee with enough skill to make up for Fant's experience and versatility. IMO that's a tall order right there... I will say this, if it's a choice between being able to sign Clowney, or one or two others I'd take Clowney and replace the rest. But if Clowney is going to cost is 3 or 4 of our other guys I'd bite my lip on Clowney and keep the keys to our fam together.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hi89nfh said:
Would LOVE to see Jack Conklin on the Right side of this line. And he's only 25 years old.
Though there's a lot of talk that he may end up with the Jets.

Conklin is exactly the type of 1st wave high priced O-line free agent that John and Pete have steered away from.

Not that I'm defending them, if we were to pick one position group that they've struggled the hardest with in finding both free agent and draft talent, it's the O-line.

But never the less, as well as Conklin would slide in nicely at RT, I doubt Pete and John want to spend what it'd cost to get him.

xray

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown as the only returning starter from last year . One or two others like Fluker will be around but as depth . Fant & Ifedi will go elswhere . Britt will cost to much . I think the Hawks will go with a youth movement this season . It's time IMO.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If our solution at tackle turns out needing to be addressed in FA, here's a possibility:
Daryl Williams could be a nice underrated value.

Top-tier tackles like Anthony Castonzo will dominate the headlines, and specifically at right tackle, Williams falls behind names like Jack Conklin and Bryan Bulaga.

Yet there is a degree of deception here with Williams. He graded at 56.1 over at Pro Football Focus last year, but it seemed to stem from the Carolina Panthers using him out of position all over the line. Such a detail hides the fact the veteran fully bounced back from his 2018 injury by appearing in all 16 games, logging 75 percent of the offense's snaps.

Considering Williams' last notable attendance sheet in 2017 had him at a 77.2 at PFF, he could end up being a notable upgrade for a team's right edge at a very effective cost.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... ncy#slide5

LTH

Reaction score
ivotuk":35un4it5 said:
Re-sign Fant, start him at Right Tackle, and promise him Left Tackle once Duane is done. I feel pretty strongly that D Brown will retire after 2020. He's had some injuries, albeit minor ones, lately. He's getting up there, but, he's still playing at a high level. So I think 2020 will be a great year for him, but I'm predicting that some team success, and minor injuries will cause him to consider his future next year.

Keep Joey Hunt, an economical, functional backup for Guard and Center.

Extend Justin Britt, bring his 2020 and future hits down some with a signing bonus. I don't want to go through another new Center when the rest of the line could be in flux.

Keep Ethan Pocic who is currently on IR

Keep Fluker. He played well, and was available most of the time.

Jamarco Jones, Left Guard. He can also fill in at Left Tackle in an emergency

Phil Haynes at Guard

Creature Man, Jordan Roos at guard

Draft/Sign a Left Tackle Prospect and Guard.

Don't forget Tight Ends in this equation.

Re-up Luke Willson! That guy is INVALUABLE as a blocker, pass catcher, and all around team mate!

Jacob Hollister, what a STEAL this guy was!

Will Dissly, no brainer. LOVE this man.

Swoopes on the Practice Squad

Draft/Sign a "young" Tight End, or an Offensive Lineman/Tight End Hybrid like George Fant or Gary Gilliam...OR Jason Peters.

Cut/Drop: Iupati, and Ed Dickson. Dickson is a great guy, great talent, but he's 32 years old and has a horrible injury history the past 3 years!

Considerations:

Jordan Simmons on IR. Has injury history, but deserves a look this year.

Where does Olsen fit in to yourt plan?

toffee

Reaction score
We might be looking at starting lineup of:

Brown - Jamarco - Britt - Fluker - Fant

Assuming Britt agrees to restructure his contract and Fant willing to stay on as RT, with that our OL has continuity but no improvements except Fant might save a penalty or two and we lack depth at both tackle spots.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seymour":3vyqrsqy said:
Largent80":3vyqrsqy said:
I'm just wondering if money is that big of a deal for Clowney. Britt will have to take a LOT LESS to remain, and I still think if the decide to keep him, we draft a center. It would be really smart to do so now.

Guard is so up in the air, just draft one of the good ones coming out and we have Fluker for one more year. Pocic is what?...injured?, reliable< a G? a C?, what the hell do we have with this guy???

Iupati, see ya. Fant is a must sign IMO. Ifedi, see ya.

I agree with all of this except even though I would like to keep Fant, I doubt we can afford him with Brown still here at $11M. If Brokung is still making $13M+ (which he is), Fant will get someone to pay $10M minimum for a left tackle. An average L tackle is making $12M now. He has played well enough filling in there to demand that kindof $$ IMO. He will be 28 by seasons start and I doubt he takes a discount to play RT and he has no experience there either.

Also, we have the fewest signed players of any team right now so the cap space is a bit of a mirage at the moment until we start to fill key positions that are now open.

Sad to say, but I think it's bye George. :(

Pretty close call I'd say.

sutz

Reaction score
I hate to lose Fant, but reality usually wins.

John63

Reaction score
Hope Wilson has life insurance he will need it.....again

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":dpnki9wn said:
Jville":dpnki9wn said:
Top 5 linemen ranked by team snaps .........

# 1 Ifedi ........... 1197 ....... more snaps than any other player ...... the iron man in 2019.
# 6 Iupati ......... 1092
#11 Fluker ......... 922
#13 Brown ......... 818
#19 Hunt ............ 654

Just because he was on the field doesn't mean he was playing RT, sometimes it was Matador, other times a revolving door, and still more a open window, he is a great actor.
You left out "fumble creator" (when he took the ball from Russ vs. SF).

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
With all these veteran signings so far in FA I think they will add someone in the draft.

sutz

Reaction score
Largent80":3dpcuojd said:
With all these veteran signings so far in FA I think they will add someone in the draft.
They pretty much do every draft. These signings do change the priority a bit, so our OL picks can be based on talent more than need.

Also looks like Pete won't get his wish, when he said he wanted to keep as many starters as possible. If the new guys are good enough, maybe there won't be a significant continuity penalty.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
There are several top notch centers available as well as guard, and even a few tackles (Wilson).... But after seeing the DE market shrivel in FA....They may be targeting someone there and those pickins are slim.