Attachments

• Wilson-Wins.jpg
    Wilson-Wins.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,398

mikeak

Reaction score
RiverDog":e0ojqed3 said:
Someone forgot to talk to Pete:

“I’m not trying to cover for him at all,” Carroll said. “He can play way better. He could have got us out of some issues early by getting rid of the football a couple times....

https://sports.yahoo.com/pete-carroll-r ... ml?src=rss

The sacks comes with Wilson's game - always has and always will

I had way more of an issue with the missed open receivers, outlet passes and poorly thrown balls

As noted above he is a great player that had a bad game

What doesn't show in the stat sheet is the 3rd down bad pass that looks like 0 out of 1 but in fact means we punted the ball and he didn't have another batch of plays come out of completing one pass. Now should we run on 3rd and inches - yes but that is a different discussion

49 offensive plays on Sunday.......horrible

mikeak

Reaction score
ivotuk":2azdx1md said:
I posted this in another thread, but it's worth reposting. I value Von Miller's opinion of Russell very highly.

Miller said in the lead-up to the opener that he hates playing Wilson, whom he considers the best QB in the game.

Yes, ahead of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, the only three who were ranked higher in The Associated Press quarterback rankings that came out Friday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/von-miller-wre ... ml?src=rss

Lets also quote Miller after the game

"Luckily, we were able to get him before he could get started. That was in our scheme this week, we wanted to keep him in the pocket and (make) him beat us with his arm, which he's capable of doing. But we'd rather pick that poison and that strategy worked.""

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401030721

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
RiverDog":1ibdmdn6 said:

“I’m not trying to cover for him at all,” Carroll said. “He can play way better. He could have got us out of some issues early by getting rid of the football a couple times....

Funny what people pushing agenda's will leave out of quotes.....or not. :roll:

Full Quotes....

“He got rushed,” Carroll said. “He got hammered. We got sacked six times in the game. It’s going to be hard for him. He was in the midst of some of those and he bailed a couple times and got in trouble. We didn’t protect him as well as we need to throughout.

“I’m not trying to cover for him at all,” Carroll said. “He can play way better. He could have got us out of some issues early by getting rid of the football a couple times, but things got taken away and he got resourceful like he’s going to do.”

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seymour":3dxgrnb3 said:
xray":3dxgrnb3 said:
Wilson runs the offense. 2 third down conversions Sunday. That shouldn't make any fan happy. Wins are the only thing that define a QB not a bunch of stats.

Agree. You stepped right in it there!! :roll:

#2 overall behind Brady!

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...er-record-ranked-win-percentage-starts-051917
I think that is a bit high. Somewhere in the top 5, definitely. As I said about Wilson, he is very inconsistent within games. He doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, but he seems to have a hard time completing third downs, and doing the little things required of him to keep the drive going. The trade off is we usually get one or two huge passing plays a game. He is a little like Barry Sanders in that respect. Lots of negative plays then one or two HUGE plays that will break the defenders back. A little like Mohammed Ali's rope a dope.

I keep saying this but what happened to the 2015 offense? Russell Wilson looked like a completely different quarterback there.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seymour":12wrui38 said:
RiverDog":12wrui38 said:

Full Quotes....

“He got rushed,” Carroll said. “He got hammered. We got sacked six times in the game. It’s going to be hard for him. He was in the midst of some of those and he bailed a couple times and got in trouble. We didn’t protect him as well as we need to throughout.

“I’m not trying to cover for him at all,” Carroll said. “He can play way better. He could have got us out of some issues early by getting rid of the football a couple times, but things got taken away and he got resourceful like he’s going to do.”

Not trying to cherry pick, at least no more than someone posting a #10 ranking for OPOW in the face of a loss to an average team, so thanks for posting the full quote.

My point is that IMO Russell didn't play all that bad, and I could agree with some that say he played well. But as Herm Edwards used to say, the object is to win the game. Russell, for all his 4th quarter heroics, had his opportunities to make a play and win the game, but he didn't and we lost. The quarterback is the most influential player on the field and has to take his fair share of the blame.

Unless this is fantasy football where all they care about is stats and there's no such thing as a team w/l record, I don't give two hoots in hell what Russell's OPOW ranking was. Bottom line is that we lost.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Wait a minute, so you mean to tell me some outside of Seattle judge Russell just like EVERY OTHER QUARTERBACK that goes against a top defense? Shocker

Denver's going to finish at least 8-8 this year, maybe even make the playoffs. Case Keenum is a massive upgrade, yes...Paxton Lynch and company were absolutely terrible. Their new receiver Sutton is a great compliment to Sanders and Thomas, and they have two new running backs. Chubb is an absolute STUD. They're solid. Super Bowl solid? No, but they'll give a lot of teams headaches. Can't judge teams based on the year before

jlwaters1

Reaction score
acer1240":3bsjldvw said:
This thread is going to get ugly. How dare anyone give Wilson props!

Yeah, he was magnificent on 3 3rd and shorts, bailing from the pocket and racing backward 10+ yards taking horrendous sacks. He played ok but oftentimes he would bail early thinking protection was breaking down (when it wasn't) and making bad decisions. Overthrowing players, underthrowing for Pics, etc.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
mikeak":184ou47d said:
ivotuk":184ou47d said:
I posted this in another thread, but it's worth reposting. I value Von Miller's opinion of Russell very highly.

Miller said in the lead-up to the opener that he hates playing Wilson, whom he considers the best QB in the game.

Yes, ahead of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, the only three who were ranked higher in The Associated Press quarterback rankings that came out Friday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/von-miller-wre ... ml?src=rss

Lets also quote Miller after the game

"Luckily, we were able to get him before he could get started. That was in our scheme this week, we wanted to keep him in the pocket and (make) him beat us with his arm, which he's capable of doing. But we'd rather pick that poison and that strategy worked.""

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401030721

They picked that poison because letting Russell scramble around is an absolute killer. He keeps defensive coordinators up at night because of that fact

Miller is also happy that he could disrupt Russell PERIOD. Barely gave him any time to throw. In fact before the game, he laughingly said "Don't just leave me with Number 65(Ifedi)." He knew he would disrupt the entire timing of the offense

All this article is saying is, Russell faced a tough defense and still had the team with a chance to win the game. I have literally seen Brady, Brees, etc. fumble in their final drives, throw pick sixes or terrible interceptions. Looking completely flustered. We rarely see that with Russell, but we kill him for it. We can argue about this all day because as much as some will go on around here about Wilson defenders, the critics are uncharacteristically unfair and hold him to a standard others aren't held to. If people are going to pick at Russell each week and suggest he's not up there with the great Qbs, make sure you're highlighting Brady and Brees failures in some weeks to go along with that

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
RiverDog":118m1df9 said:
Seymour":118m1df9 said:
RiverDog":118m1df9 said:

Full Quotes....

Not trying to cherry pick, at least no more than someone posting a #10 ranking for OPOW in the face of a loss to an average team, so thanks for posting the full quote.

My point is that IMO Russell didn't play all that bad, and I could agree with some that say he played well. But as Herm Edwards used to say, the object is to win the game. Russell, for all his 4th quarter heroics, had his opportunities to make a play and win the game, but he didn't and we lost. The quarterback is the most influential player on the field and has to take his fair share of the blame.

Unless this is fantasy football where all they care about is stats and there's no such thing as a team w/l record, I don't give two hoots in hell what Russell's OPOW ranking was. Bottom line is that we lost.

I wasn't cherry picking (like leaving the rest of the quote out) I posted another opinion contrary to what some chicken little's are saying to promote dumping our QB that is an outsiders view.
We all want to win (or the majority of us except the tank people LOL). Fact of the matter is, Russell's strength is finishing and coming from behind and being clutch. Sadly the moment that doesn't happen, the revisionists say it's a huge problem. I say BS to that, look at the larger sample size.
I don't care what the OPOW ranking was either.....until the boo birds come along and say to get rid of him...then it's game on!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seymour":2giqaxri said:
I wasn't cherry picking (like leaving the rest of the quote out) I posted another opinion contrary to what some chicken little's are saying to promote dumping our QB that is an outsiders view.
We all want to win (or the majority of us except the tank people LOL). Fact of the matter is, Russell's strength is finishing and coming from behind and being clutch. Sadly the moment that doesn't happen, the revisionists say it's a huge problem. I say BS to that, look at the larger sample size.
I don't care what the OPOW ranking was either.....until the boo birds come along and say to get rid of him...then it's game on!

Let's not get into Russell's "strength" of finishing and coming from behind. Much of that is due to his slow starts, but that's for another discussion. Let's just say that Russell's play was relatively good and leave it at that. The offense put up 24 points. That's enough to win most NFL games, so clearly, there were other factors at work in that loss besides the play of our quarterback.

The sense I got was that by posting a #10 OPOW ranking that you were making excuses for him and not holding him accountable. There's other information out there, ie the PFF pass blocking grades, that indicate that the offensive line had an average day pass blocking, so we have competing opinions as to how our quarterback ended up getting sacked 6 times.

We lost, and I don't need someone telling me how great our QB played.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
RiverDog":2101gw2m said:
Seymour":2101gw2m said:

Let's not get into Russell's "strength" of finishing and coming from behind. Much of that is due to his slow starts, but that's for another discussion. Let's just say that Russell's play was relatively good and leave it at that. The offense put up 24 points. That's enough to win most NFL games, so clearly, there were other factors at work in that loss besides the play of our quarterback.

The sense I got was that by posting a #10 OPOW ranking that you were making excuses for him and not holding him accountable. There's other information out there, ie the PFF pass blocking grades, that indicate that the offensive line had an average day pass blocking, so we have competing opinions as to how our quarterback ended up getting sacked 6 times.

We lost, and I don't need someone telling me how great our QB played

Well you know what assume stands for correct?
This anti Wilson rage has been going on for 3 days now....stick around and catch up.

Seymour":2101gw2m said:
Big exaggeration and you know it. :177692:

I am critical of Russell often and have said several times just today that his play yesterday was a big reason for the loss.

I draw the line at dumping our franchise QB that took around 35 years to find. Simple as that. Is he worth 32+ million? Hell no, and I've said that too, but neither is Rodgers! Problem is we have no choice, as that is the going rate for any top QB right now.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont think anyone said how great he played.He was still pretty good for a "bad day" and doesnt deserve the lions share of the blame either. Thats why he was cited for his performance in the article.

Without Baldwin we have one of the weakest WR groups in the league,we had one of the worst rushing days in the league Sunday and we had one of the worst defensive performances in yards and points in the league Sunday yet they blame him for a 300 yrd day,3 TDS and 1 INT or say stats dont matter.They do matter. 470 yards,146 yds rushing and 27 points by the D.Those are the stats that lost us the game.

When I compare the talent level of these two team and throw in a huge home advantage, we were supposed to lose that game imo.

So now everyone comes out and wants to knock Pete and Wilson off the pedestal after helping bring a SB trophy to Seattle.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
That was an interesting article and certainly confirms what most should agree with - RW had a great first four seasons in the NFL win-wise.

Here's the catch though.

The more RW throws, the fewer games the Seahawks win.

As Wilson approached 500 attempts in 2015 Hawks go 10-6 and out in Div. playoffs.

2016 = 546 attempts, a 10-5-1 record, and out in Div. playoffs.

2017 = 553 attempts, a 9-7 record, and no playoffs.

The above also aligns with the Seahawks dominant D years and the peak of Beastmode as RW's best seasons.

When Wilson was on a team that often limited opponents to a couple touchdowns or less and Marshawn was thumping them for 100+ run games time and time again, Wilson was sharing in the wins. He was a part of the team in those years, but far from an 'elite' QB.

2015 was also the last season he had a QB rating higher than 96. (It was a remarkable 110.1) That was when he was required to throw more due to Lynch's injuries. Wilson had two very important things assisting him that year. The first was the surprisingly strong running Rawls and two, a defense that was still elite status and capable of winning games almost entirely by itself.

The more Russell Wilson has been called upon to do, the less wins the Seahawks have recorded and the lower his overall QB rating has gone. That's just undeniable fact.

Is he 'elite'? Is he 'franchise'? That is open to lots of debate but at the end of the day I don't really care.

It's about wins, playoffs, and SB appearances and so far as the salary leader of the team, RW is not delivering.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seymour":25pqdydo said:
Well you know what assume stands for correct?
This anti Wilson rage has been going on for 3 days now....stick around and catch up.

Seymour":25pqdydo said:
Big exaggeration and you know it. :177692:

I am critical of Russell often and have said several times just today that his play yesterday was a big reason for the loss.

I draw the line at dumping our franchise QB that took around 35 years to find. Simple as that. Is he worth 32+ million? Hell no, and I've said that too, but neither is Rodgers! Problem is we have no choice, as that is the going rate for any top QB right now.

I didn't "assume" anything. I said that your post left me with the impression that you weren't holding him accountable, and I'll stand by that. There were no qualifying remarks that you made anywhere in this thread that might indicate that my impression was wrong. One of my pet peeves is people that are more enamored with a favorite player's individual stats and accolades than they are with their team winning football games, which is what drew out my wrath.

But I'll accept you for your word that you were not acting in the manner which was portrayed and that you are not a member of the group that I described above. I don't want to dump Russell, either, to the contrary. He's the best QB this franchise has had and I want to see us extend his contract at the end of this season. IMO the chances of our upgrading the QB position is very remote. So for that much, we're closer to agreeing than disagreeing.

But Russell's game must evolve from what it was when he was in his early 20's and playing with the #1 defense in football if we are to get back to competing for Lombardi's. IMO he has not yet made that progression, but I have every bit of confidence that eventually he will. Russell's also one of my personal favorite Seahawks of all time, and I've been a 12 from the get go.

TreeRon

Reaction score
""Luckily, we were able to get him before he could get started. That was in our scheme this week, we wanted to keep him in the pocket and (make) him beat us with his arm, which he's capable of doing. But we'd rather pick that poison and that strategy worked.""

Which is what many Hawk fans want him to do on a regular basis.

massari

Reaction score
Stats against one of the best defenses on the road, and without his best reciever...

19/32
298 yards
3 TD's
1 INT - Not counting the 2nd INT because it was a hail mary at the end of the game

Giphy

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
massari":1cwq60j0 said:
Stats against one of the best defenses on the road, and without his best reciever...

19/32
298 yards
3 TD's
1 INT - Not counting the 2nd INT because it was a hail mary at the end of the game

Giphy
Lets not forget about his two fumbles, and almost 60 yards of sacks he took, which by the way most of those were directly on him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

We ranked 14th in net passing yards this week, he completed less than HALF his passes, there were 12 players that had a higher passer rating. On third downs Seattle is tied for second to last with Houston in third downs converted:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... dDownConvs

If you notice here most teams converted at least four. At least one of those third downs is directly on Russell Wilson.

It was a bad game.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Seymour":2lq5cw5w said:
RiverDog":2lq5cw5w said:
Seymour":2lq5cw5w said:
RiverDog":2lq5cw5w said:

Full Quotes....

Silly rabbit. Only Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, and others are allowed to be praised for coming from behind. When Russell does it, we should make sure to emphasize that he should have scored more earlier.

Not to say I’ve been happy with some slow starts. But people make silly points to diminish the guy. If a Quarterback has to come back in the 4th quarter. Guess what? It means the offense didn’t do enough earlier in the game. If the team loses the more Russ throws guess what? Statistically, most teams have a losing record when they have to throw too much in a game.

My favorite one is “Look at Russell’s record when the defense scores more than 25 points!” Yea...virtually every QB has a losing record when his team allows 25-30 points. This was a stat from last year about Aaron Rodgers:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/gre ... tat-012217

I believe Rodgers has had a couple of wins since then. But the bickering on .Net isn’t going to end until some Russell critics on here can judge Russell with the same fair minded perspective. Russ is not a perfect Quarterback. But he will miss throws, he will struggle against tough defenses, and he will fall short. Like every Quarterback in NFL history :irishdrinkers:

adeltaY

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3531ofvv said:
massari":3531ofvv said:

19/32
298 yards
3 TD's

Giphy
Lets not forget about his two fumbles, and almost 60 yards of sacks he took, which by the way most of those were directly on him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

We ranked 14th in net passing yards this week, he completed less than HALF his passes, there were 12 players that had a higher passer rating. On third downs Seattle is tied for second to last with Houston in third downs converted:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... dDownConvs

If you notice here most teams converted at least four. At least one of those third downs is directly on Russell Wilson.

It was a bad game.

Yup, you can't ignore the second INT and then ignore the lack of third down conversions. Raw passing stats are almost always meaningless without context. If you want an exception, look no further than Drew Brees' performance on Sunday. 37/45 for 439 and 3 TDs. There's no way on earth you can say Brees is remotely culpable for their loss with a stat line like that, it doesn't need more context. BIG difference between that and 19/33 for 298 and 3 TDs with 2 INTs.

Look, if you account for differences in supporting casts, playing on the road, opposing defense, it's closer than the raw stats look, but Brees was essentially flawless, while Russ still made mistakes we simply cannot afford. He needs to be Brees now. PCJS utterly failed to surround him with a good line and playmakers like Brees has, but he has to be just about that good for us to have a chance this year. It's unfair, but it's just the facts.