Offensive Player of the Week / #10 Russell Wilson

chris98251

Reaction score
Anyone that watched the game seen Wilson have a few good moments, Carson had a few good moments, going away from Dissy and the run game for some reason and all hell broke loose and Wilson looked like he was trying to put the car keys in the ignition in a horror movie with Michael Myers walking towards him dressed as Von Miller.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Just read over this twitter thread: [tweet]https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/1039579886287876096[/tweet]

Honestly, I don't even know what to think at this point. The offense worked a few times and didn't most of the time. Wilson was off, protection was bad, whose fault is it? IDK.

Also, he will checkdown: [tweet]https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/1039272027029299200[/tweet]

BUT if they don't call enough of these plays and are going for PA bombs vs. the denver pass rush, that's not on Wilson.

massari

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1tzcywp4 said:
Lets not forget about his two fumbles, and almost 60 yards of sacks he took, which by the way most of those were directly on him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

We ranked 14th in net passing yards this week, he completed less than HALF his passes, there were 12 players that had a higher passer rating. On third downs Seattle is tied for second to last with Houston in third downs converted:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... dDownConvs

If you notice here most teams converted at least four. At least one of those third downs is directly on Russell Wilson.

It was a bad game.
Were the failed 3rd down conversions his fault or the OL, and receivers not getting open.... Same with the sacks. Serious questions.

Can't really blame him for fumbling after getting steamrolled by Von Miller mid throw. Second one from the dropped snap was bad, especially at that point in the game with the clock running.

Without the hail mary, his passer rating would've been 108.6 against one of the best defenses on the road. He completed more than half his passes, not less.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1hdwdojt said:
That was an interesting article and certainly confirms what most should agree with - RW had a great first four seasons in the NFL win-wise.

Here's the catch though.

The more RW throws, the fewer games the Seahawks win.

As Wilson approached 500 attempts in 2015 Hawks go 10-6 and out in Div. playoffs.

2016 = 546 attempts, a 10-5-1 record, and out in Div. playoffs.

2017 = 553 attempts, a 9-7 record, and no playoffs.

The above also aligns with the Seahawks dominant D years and the peak of Beastmode as RW's best seasons.

When Wilson was on a team that often limited opponents to a couple touchdowns or less and Marshawn was thumping them for 100+ run games time and time again, Wilson was sharing in the wins. He was a part of the team in those years, but far from an 'elite' QB.

2015 was also the last season he had a QB rating higher than 96. (It was a remarkable 110.1) That was when he was required to throw more due to Lynch's injuries. Wilson had two very important things assisting him that year. The first was the surprisingly strong running Rawls and two, a defense that was still elite status and capable of winning games almost entirely by itself.

The more Russell Wilson has been called upon to do, the less wins the Seahawks have recorded and the lower his overall QB rating has gone. That's just undeniable fact.

Is he 'elite'? Is he 'franchise'? That is open to lots of debate but at the end of the day I don't really care.

It's about wins, playoffs, and SB appearances and so far as the salary leader of the team, RW is not delivering.

But he could still knock most of us out...
7Igp.gif

JGreen79

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1acoumdy said:
Seymour":1acoumdy said:
xray":1acoumdy said:
Wilson runs the offense. 2 third down conversions Sunday. That shouldn't make any fan happy. Wins are the only thing that define a QB not a bunch of stats.

Agree. You stepped right in it there!! :roll:

#2 overall behind Brady!

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...er-record-ranked-win-percentage-starts-051917
I think that is a bit high. Somewhere in the top 5, definitely. As I said about Wilson, he is very inconsistent within games. He doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, but he seems to have a hard time completing third downs, and doing the little things required of him to keep the drive going. The trade off is we usually get one or two huge passing plays a game. He is a little like Barry Sanders in that respect. Lots of negative plays then one or two HUGE plays that will break the defenders back. A little like Mohammed Ali's rope a dope.

I keep saying this but what happened to the 2015 offense? Russell Wilson looked like a completely different quarterback there.

You think a statistical ranking has him ranked a bit high?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
JGreen79":19l4xk0g said:
Spin Doctor":19l4xk0g said:
Seymour":19l4xk0g said:
xray":19l4xk0g said:
Wilson runs the offense. 2 third down conversions Sunday. That shouldn't make any fan happy. Wins are the only thing that define a QB not a bunch of stats.

#2 overall behind Brady!

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...er-record-ranked-win-percentage-starts-051917
I think that is a bit high. Somewhere in the top 5, definitely. As I said about Wilson, he is very inconsistent within games. He doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, but he seems to have a hard time completing third downs, and doing the little things required of him to keep the drive going. The trade off is we usually get one or two huge passing plays a game. He is a little like Barry Sanders in that respect. Lots of negative plays then one or two HUGE plays that will break the defenders back. A little like Mohammed Ali's rope a dope.

I keep saying this but what happened to the 2015 offense? Russell Wilson looked like a completely different quarterback there.

Oh that's win percentage, doh.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2ssyku2u said:
JGreen79":2ssyku2u said:
Spin Doctor":2ssyku2u said:
Seymour":2ssyku2u said:

#2 overall behind Brady!

Oh that's win percentage, doh.

It's win % weighted heavily on the dominant Hawk Defense and Beastmode years.

Once those were taken away Russ's ability to NOT carry the team have been fully exposed and we are now a non-playoff team as of last season after two previous seasons of mediocrity and not sniffing a SB appearance.

As of now RW is a good QB but far from an 'elite' one. He looks a lot slower, confused, and still doing some very dumb habits that he should have shed by now.

Perhaps the new coaching scheme on the offensive side will start to gel and all this hand-wringing will fall by the wayside but I don't think so. Not until PC is gone, and yes, perhaps we ship RW off as well.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":sgnqe05c said:
It's win % weighted heavily on the dominant Hawk Defense and Beastmode years.

Once those were taken away Russ's ability to NOT carry the team have been fully exposed and we are now a non-playoff team as of last season after two previous seasons of mediocrity and not sniffing a SB appearance.

As of now RW is a good QB but far from an 'elite' one. He looks a lot slower, confused, and still doing some very dumb habits that he should have shed by now.

Perhaps the new coaching scheme on the offensive side will start to gel and all this hand-wringing will fall by the wayside but I don't think so. Not until PC is gone, and yes, perhaps we ship RW off as well.

97% of last years TD's is not carrying the team? :roll:

Of course it is!!!

Many elite QB's miss the playoffs now and then so that is off the table. I posted the win% in DIRECT response to someone saying winning is everything....that is it. Russ "far from elite" is quite obviously a biased opinion. Russ "a lot slower" is another biased opinion. He is staying in the pocket longer and losing that early 1/2 step that gets him free and getting tracked down because of that...plus this is 1 game. You've tried that argument before along with "too fat"....it's getting old! The facts and most experts disagree with you.

Attachments

• Warner-2017.jpg
    Warner-2017.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 651

mikeak

Reaction score
To me 99% of this discussion is because people can't hear positive and negative things at once

Russell Wilson is an elite quarterback

Russell Wilson played his first game with a new Offensive Coordinator and OL coach this past week

Russell Wilson was pressured by one of the top 3 pass rushers in this league last week

Russell Wilson did not have a good game, between the sacks, interception, fumbles and poorly thrown balls he was responsible for MULTIPLE stalled drives

The defense while not great gave the offense three turnovers to start in a good position from which was directly a part of the 24 pts the offense put up

Russell Wilson is STILL an elite QB that just had a bad game

Seriously to say he had a good game and cherry picking stats is weird to me and on the flip side to try to make it like he can only play in 4th quarter is also strange

bbsplitter

Reaction score
mikeak":19m0uetw said:
To me 99% of this discussion is because people can't hear positive and negative things at once

Russell Wilson played his first game with a new Offensive Coordinator and OL coach this past week

Russell Wilson was pressured by one of the top 3 pass rushers in this league last week

Russell Wilson did not have a good game, between the sacks, interception, fumbles and poorly thrown balls he was responsible for MULTIPLE stalled drives

The defense while not great gave the offense three turnovers to start in a good position from which was directly a part of the 24 pts the offense put up

Seriously to say he had a good game and cherry picking stats is weird to me and on the flip side to try to make it like he can only play in 4th quarter is also strange

Amen sister

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":1dkxfgt2 said:

Great post. I 100% agree. I hope you do not think I say he had a great game, I have not, and nobody else has either. I agree he was not up to his pay grade and needs to improve (and he will). I posted the link because others outside of Seattle do still believe he played well enough to mention him in the top 10, and to quiet the noise that it's time to cut him lose or don't sign him next year.

Here is what I posted on his games performance....

Seymour":1dkxfgt2 said:
My apologies then. I am losing track as they seem to appear in bunches here. I don't think he played particularly well either, but it was mainly limited to about 8 plays IMO. I disagree he "hasn't developed his game" though. I think there are still some weaknesses, and I think Tom Cable is responsible for 75+% of them too.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seymour":1u67d8zd said:
mikeak":1u67d8zd said:

Great post. I 100% agree. I hope you do not think I say he had a great game, I have not, and nobody else has either. I agree he was not up to his pay grade and needs to improve (and he will). I posted the link because others outside of Seattle do still believe he played well enough to mention him in the top 10, and to quiet the noise that it's time to cut him lose or don't sign him next year.
Don't know if anyone wanted him gone. People are for sure questioning whether he is worth 30 million a year though, which is fair. He'll have to show he can carry his team this year. I doubt he will, because Pete Carroll is an idiot when it comes to the offensive side of things. One of the stupidest NFL schemes I've ever seen in the modern NFL.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
People want him gone, most are keeping away from this thread. I too question the value of $32+M.....but I don't think in the end we have a choice either. I happen to agree on Pete's offense being the boat anchor of this team too and have stated because of that I do not think Pete can win another SB without a top 3 defense either.

We agree more than we disagree on this topic.

massari

Reaction score
mikeak":3o6l6j5u said:

David Carr, former NFL QB disagrees with you. Wilson played against a top D on the road putting up 19/32 298 yards with 3 TD's 1 INT. Can you can explain how the 6 sacks and fumble (the one where he got flatlined by Miller mid throw) were his fault? Or the poor 3rd down efficiency? People keep bringing it up without explanation.

Yes, the fumble from the snap in the final minute was bad. Pretty sure the INT was his fault, but nobody's saying he had a perfect game.

adeltaY

Reaction score
massari":147iod25 said:
David Carr, former NFL QB disagrees with you. Wilson played against a top D on the road putting up 19/32 298 yards with 3 TD's 1 INT. Can you can explain how the 6 sacks and fumble (the one where he got flatlined by Miller mid throw) were his fault? Or the poor 3rd down efficiency? People keep bringing it up without explanation.

Yes, the fumble from the snap in the final minute was bad. Pretty sure the INT was his fault, but nobody's saying he had a perfect game.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/9/10/17 ... -5-seconds

Posted this in its own thread, has good explanations for why some of the sacks were on Wilson.

mikeak

Reaction score
massari":1gpbz9ue said:
mikeak":1gpbz9ue said:

Yes - not needed to be explained if you watched the game

If you didn't watch it get back to me later. Look at the 3rd and inches as example (bad playcall yes should have run). Horrible pass, There are several others out there go look at Samuel Gold breakdown of several passes where RW makes the incorrect reads, holds on to the ball etc

I don't think I have seen a single person INCLUDING Pete Carroll not state that several of the sacks were on RW. So in short no I am not going to waste more time to explain it to you if you ignore every other person that watched the game, the game itself, all experts, pretty much everyone on here and just basic football knowledge

bbsplitter

Reaction score
mikeak":2o2zzqjo said:
massari":2o2zzqjo said:
mikeak":2o2zzqjo said:

If you didn't watch it get back to me later. Look at the 3rd and inches as example (bad playcall yes should have run). Horrible pass, There are several others out there go look at Samuel Gold breakdown of several passes where RW makes the incorrect reads, holds on to the ball etc

I don't think I have seen a single person INCLUDING Pete Carroll not state that several of the sacks were on RW. So in short no I am not going to waste more time to explain it to you if you ignore every other person that watched the game, the game itself, all experts, pretty much everyone on here and just basic football knowledge

I think you both are just arguing what "good game" means to each of you - which is subjective... so the argument is kind of pointless.

massari

Reaction score
mikeak":d07ybuz7 said:

LOL Basic football knowledge?
6e84bbd924ac159c38ec9  meme characters meme comics

Thanks for the Samuel Gold and Carroll references.

adeltaY

Reaction score
massari":1l165z53 said:
mikeak":1l165z53 said:

LOL Basic football knowledge?
6e84bbd924ac159c38ec9  meme characters meme comics

Thanks for the Samuel Gold and Carroll references.

I mean, he's not wrong. If you came out of the game thinking Wilson didn't share the culpability for any of those sacks, as your question implied, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic about the Samuel Gold or Pete Carroll thing, but here are some of Sam's tweets I think mike was talking about.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1039740523215577089[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1039511634094387201[/tweet]